September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @mbaker566 - gorgeous! One of these days I will get there! I will have to check with my daughter and see where she is planning to go. I will recommend some of your places!
    @HonuNui - 😂 love the morays!

@rheddmobile - Thanks for taking care of the challenge for @PastorVincent. I have not signed up yet. I wanted to see if anyone wanted to be in a team with me? I will not likely get in 26 miles this next week with it being so hot. So if anyone wants to do it with me let me know and we can get a team set up.

I got up super early and did a sunrise run this morning. We had an appointment at 9:30 so I need to be back and showered in time to head out for that. It was cool and lovely out but I really had to watch out for people backing out going to work. I think in my mind everyone is still working from home. There were also so many people out on our trail. I was so surprised that others were also up early to get a walk or run in. The only problem I had was there were several groups who just walked all across the trail and even when I was running at them (on my side of the path) they did not move over. WTH People!?! I just don't understand that. Most everyone else keeps a wide berth trying to maintain the proper social distancing. But I got it done and it felt great! I think I need to work more on getting up early (and getting to bed early to facilitate that) and out the door. I used to always run early early because of work but not so much since I have retired.

Date..........Miles........Total
    09/01.......0.00..........0.00 - HIIT and Stretch and Roll Class
    09/02.......5.33..........5.33
    09/03.......5.17........10.50 - Intervals
    09/04.......4.58........15.08
    2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 1142.77/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/31/20 - ISS Virtual 10K (Late)

08/15-09/30 - eRace Racism (200 miles) 117.29 miles completed.
    09/21-09/27 - Womxn Run the Vote - 680 mile virtual relay
    09/26/20 - Beat the Blerch 10K Virtual
    10/01/20 - 2020 Scooby Doo Family and Pet Run/Walk - Virtual Event

I’ll team up with you @shanaber !
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you had such a great run, except for the crowds, cars, and those who wouldn't get out of your way. ;)

Beatuiful pictures @mbaker566 !
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Love the shoes! Glad they worked well for you!

@polskagirl01 That does sound annoying. I could see people using it for other purposes if there wasn't a good place nearby to walk, but with the sidewalk right beside of it...I don't understand. Plus, even if they are going to use it, they should at least look out for bikers and get out of their way. Maybe they don't understand people who are actually trying to ride fast for cardio exercise and think everyone can just meander and be happy. Once when I was running out my road one of my neighbor's little girls was out in the yard. I had ran up the road beside of their house and then turned and started out the road in front of her house. I heard her ask her dad, "What is she doing?" I didn't hear his answer, but she obviously was not familiar with the concept of running for health.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    9-1 7.2k slow
    9-2 7.2k easy
    9-3 7.2k moderate
    9-4 7.2k measy (between moderate and easy)
    9-5 7k measy

September Total: 35.8k
    September Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k

2020 Total through August: 1408k / 176k per month

Clear skies and mid 50s F this morning. It was actually nice to run in the sun. Got a little crazy in the last kilometer -- just because I can.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Glad you had such a great run, except for the crowds, cars, and those who wouldn't get out of your way. ;)

My pet peeve is the bike path. They are clearly marked with bicycle symbols, are usually a different color, and there is nearly always a sidewalk RIGHT next to them (frequently the sidewalk is marked for pedestrians as well). But where do people walk, stand, let their kids play, slowly push baby carriages, walk dogs with leashes stretching the whole way across? You guessed it.

I’m guilty of sometimes running in the bike lane next to the sidewalk. My excuse is that our sidewalk is badly broken and dangerous to run on. Funny how the bike lane never has six inches of broken concrete sticking straight up with a rebar spike coming out! And I do try to listen for bikes and get out of their way.

Most of the actual trails around here are multi-use with posted signs saying that cyclists must yield to pedestrians. This literally has never happened in the history of ever and I don’t see it ever happening - the fast cyclist clearly expects the slow pedestrian to move aside for them. It’s helpful when a cyclist uses his bell though since a bike can be pretty sneaky! I wish it were the law that all bikes have to have a bell and use it when approaching pedestrians. The best cyclists not only use a bell but call out what side they intend to pass on, and the number in their group.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    New shoes!

My first pair of Brooks. Ran in them this afternoon. Went well.
    4yg8icfqk27n.jpeg

I love the ghost. My favorite shoe!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've been off for a few days (ok like all week). It's been a struggle in general this past week. Trying to get back into routine now.

I know everyone said they want injuries covered on my podcast and I will cover this topic but I need to know, what are your injury stories? What about injuries do you want to know? What's your go to way to occupy your time when injured? Let me know! Maybe I'll work it into the podcast. Not sure when this one will get worked in but I definitely feel like I need other runners input and stories. (cross posted to runners that need nutritional accountability thread). Feel free to message me here or elsewhere (Instagram, email) if you don't feel comfortable posting here.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday @martaindale 🎂🥂🍾
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

My pet peeve is the bike path. They are clearly marked with bicycle symbols, are usually a different color, and there is nearly always a sidewalk RIGHT next to them (frequently the sidewalk is marked for pedestrians as well). But where do people walk, stand, let their kids play, slowly push baby carriages, walk dogs with leashes stretching the whole way across? You guessed it.

I’m guilty of sometimes running in the bike lane next to the sidewalk. My excuse is that our sidewalk is badly broken and dangerous to run on. Funny how the bike lane never has six inches of broken concrete sticking straight up with a rebar spike coming out! And I do try to listen for bikes and get out of their way.

Most of the actual trails around here are multi-use with posted signs saying that cyclists must yield to pedestrians. This literally has never happened in the history of ever and I don’t see it ever happening - the fast cyclist clearly expects the slow pedestrian to move aside for them. It’s helpful when a cyclist uses his bell though since a bike can be pretty sneaky! I wish it were the law that all bikes have to have a bell and use it when approaching pedestrians. The best cyclists not only use a bell but call out what side they intend to pass on, and the number in their group.

Here if it isn't marked, technically bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalks UNLESS you are riding with a child, and then I am constantly reminding my kids (loud enough that the people in question can hear me) that pedestrians have the right of way there. I treat multi-use trails the same way, not sure what the rule is though. People may have headphones in or just not hear you coming. And on the roads where there isn't a bike lane, I wear a dorky bright yellow reflective safety vest (or a backpack made out of the same material, basically a big square of hi-vis fabric on my back) because people act like they WANT to run me over. But when I'm on a dedicated bike lane with a sidewalk right next to it, you'd think people would leave you to it. Today I even saw one of those silly motorized scooter things that people rent using a phone app, and then leave in random places all over the city... left in the very middle of a bike lane. Several yards away was a painted rectangle designated parking for the stupid things. And if you try to move them, an alarm goes off. Looked like some cyclists threw it off the side of the path later on.

Oops. I'm ranting! Sorry!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    My birthday was yesterday, so I'm officially 40. I've never been too bothered by my age but moving into a new decade always feels like a major transition. I'm happy to say that I feel better and am healthier and happier than I was when I turned 30. It feels good to know that I'm moving into the next decade on a better footing and setting an example of health and activity for my daughter that I can be proud of.

Happy Birthday!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, @martaindale !!!