WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Michele-I did the same.When we weren’t able to open our farmers market,I started in the closet and worked my way to kitchen cabinets,but had to be careful not to let hubby see.Now that I said I want to clean out the attic and my dresser he’s all nooo!😑It will get done.
    Debby in Va
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have finished my air quality experiment using my covid mask. The headache has eased and I feel better. I’m keeping it on. One mask is doing well with two challenges & smokey air is one of them.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Pip: Congratulations on finding a good home for your airstream! Enjoy your new adventures.⭐️😘⭐️😎
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hey all! I am back! I got some cooking done this weekend. Chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, yogurt, chicken salad (for DH; so he has something that I don't have to cook) and chocolate chip cookies (because that way, he can't say that I don't love him). >:) Called my cousin Jen. She lives in Washougal, WA with her hubby, five kids and grandbaby. They are hunkered down in their house with a stockpile of filters (both intake and furnace filters), windows and most vents to outdoors closed. As of this morning they had an AQI of over 500! They are wearing masks in the house, as well. They are keeping baby in a bassinet with a light fabric tent over it and he seems to be doing okay. Unbelievable! :o
    Rebecca- The pics of both Athena (the black and white in the chair) and your mom (glamourgirl) are sublime! Absolutely breathtaking! You do look like your mom!
    Heather- Love those little oven dishes! I was just looking at those very ones at the store the other day! I didn't get them, because I have some. They only get used when I make French Onion Soup or individual bakes for the family (mac and cheese or some other pasta bake). Mine aren't the fiesta colors, though. So cute! Your floors look wonderful!
    Allie- I don't know what to tell you about your DSIL. Infuriating! 20 lashes with a wet noodle!
    Tracey- Happy birthday to you and your grandson! That is a sweet pic of the both of you!
    Pip- Whew! is right! So glad the guy who hit your airstream was a decent man and owned up to the damage! Glad things are working out for you!
    Rori-Ugh! So sorry to hear of your foot pain! Hope it eases up a bit.
    Betsy- glad your sis got some good news! Sending lots of hugs!
    Michele- Your bread look divine! I can almost smell it! It would go great with my soup! lol
    Faye- Stay safe! Sending virtual waves of fresh air your way!
    Lanette- Glad to hear your aqi is getting a little better!
    Machka- Your activity levels are so inspiring to me! Your life is just as busy/chaotic as mine and you still get so much activity in! I really need to be more intentional for that part of my life. You inspire me to do so! Hugs to you! :*
    Lisa I took the "longevity" quiz (would you call it a quiz?) Anyway, with my current stats, it put me at living until age 96! That is remarkable! I then put in info of where I want to be a year from now (changing my info to reflect that) and it only added a little over four years; BUT that put me slightly over 100! Which is my goal! So...I better get myself together so I can make it that far!
    Welcome to all of the new girls!

Well, I need to look into a vehicle rental. Lauren will be here in three weeks with the boys (yes, I am marking the days off on the calendar!) We will need a mini van or full sized van for two or three days, so we can travel to a few places as a family. HOWEVER, I am going to do the math on THAT vs just taking two vehicles... We are thinking of going up north (our family vacation spot) to the Leelanau Peninsula. It is a three hour drive. We will see, I guess...

Ugh! I just sneezed and peed. Peezing. This is the part of getting older, I could do without. lol ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Um that wasn't my momma!😁. That is the actress Myrna Loy, from The Thin Man movies.💖. Heehe !
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Our AQI @4:20 PM is currently 459. I’m experiencing a low grade headache. We are inside with our air filter on. 🙁 I decided to put my 😷 on and see if it helps filter out smoke. I asked DH to time it for 15 minutes so I can see whether it helps.

I have a friend in Canby, she put water on the stove boiling with baking soda in it. Supposed to attach to the smoke in the air and clear it.👍
  • Katla49
    Options
    Rebecca: Thanks for the information about boiling water with baking soda in it. Good luck to your friend in Canby. Right now smokey air isn’t a worry for us, but who knows how things will be in the morning? I'll have to see tomorrow. :smiley:

Barbie: You’ve done it now with your knitting! I’m going to start knitting something, probably dishrags for now. Thanks for the inspiration! :bigsmile: I haven’t gotten around to checking with the hospitals with maternity facilities. I bet I can get the information I need with a phone call. :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    Yyyyyy
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    Carol and Beth - I would not worry about repeating meals. I was told by a dietitian once that most families have a regular rotation of about 12 meals that are routinely repeated. That doesn't mean that you Can't try something new just that you should not feel pressured to always come up with new things. I write out menus for the week before I get groceries on Friday and regularly repeat our favorites with maybe one new meal tried once a month or so. Relax and enjoy.

Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Carol and Beth - I would not worry about repeating meals. I was told by a dietitian once that most families have a regular rotation of about 12 meals that are routinely repeated. That doesn't mean that you Can't try something new just that you should not feel pressured to always come up with new things. I write out menus for the week before I get groceries on Friday and regularly repeat our favorites with maybe one new meal tried once a month or so. Relax and enjoy.

Sue in WA

I eat the same lunches just about all the time. Only occasionally will I have something different.

As for dinners, we have a pile of veggies plus something just about every evening. The something might be a low cal frozen dinner, a can of soup, a heat and serve Indian meal or similar. Sometimes the veggies are mixed in (like if it is soup) sometimes they are on the side (like if it a low cal lasagne).

Food doesn't really matter because my husband has no taste or smell and I still have relatively limited taste and smell. Texture is important, of course, and it is nice to see something different on the plate from the day before.

We rarely go out for dinner.

So the choice of what we have for dinner comes down to what my husband feels like making. If he's tired, it will be really simple. If he has a bit more energy, there might be more veggies or something. And if I have the energy, I might throw together something in the slow cooker.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    Options
    Carol, Beth - Even I get tired of cooking every day. We used to be able to go out for the very occasional meal, but we don't do that now. I have shared an excellent mushroom pizza with DH a couple of times and it was a nice break. I still made a green salad with garlic french dressing though.
    Ready made meals are an expensive option, but might save your sanity. When I had two teenagers at home who were doing things at different times I bought the best M&S meals and just left it to them to heat up their own when they came in. They ate two or four person meals all by themselves, but it meant I wasn't their slave! Both learned to cook simple meals for themselves and both are now gourmet cooks. My elder one managed to eat free at uni by being the house cook! My younger son is the chef in his family and cooked for a living for a while when younger. So my 'tough love' worked.
    Beth - can you just chop up a ready meal that he likes? Do you have anything like a cook/chill delivery service where you are? Maybe a cheffy neighbour who needs to earn some extra cash could make them to your specifications?
    Sometimes you just have to throw money at a problem. :s Even a couple of times a week would help take the load off.

DH is out today at the cricket. It is not open to the public, but his friend has booked a room at the hotel with a huge balcony. It is going to be hot today and it is west facing so I hope he is sensible with liquids, sunscreen etc. Plus social distancing. He has good intentions, but I have observed him drifting towards people when he forgets. The other day I had to warn him from getting too close to my son when he was explaining about the cabinet. He gets caught up in the moment.
    However, I think it's important for him to go. His first trip out, his first time to see a friend. He has been feeling so much less himself recently that I'm pleased for him.
    Plus I get some time to myself. :p I'm going to have Dim Sum for lunch with chilli sauce. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: pooches down drive in am, picked up vegs, mail ABN amendment, Freddie’s, livestream church.
    Bonus: BiMart, 5 mins brisk Leslie Sansome to nudge CI just below CO.
    Get to do: rx, recycling, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishbes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    13: make time to do something you really enjoy: hoping to beachwalk tomorrow before dawn
    14: talk kindly to yourself as if to someone you love:

Faye mask on neighbor’s lab? Would love to see a pic of that. Skunkspray counteracting smoke? :noway:
    Barbie still smoky but cooler here too. Thankful for the relief from the heat. Trying to be patient for the promised rain this week.
    Belated Happy Birthday Tracey!
    Betsy Thankful to hear your sister’s good results. Gives me hope for our nephew.
    KJ “peezing” :lol:
    Michele think this is the first time I’ve ever heard you taking a day off from exercise. Hope you feel better soon.
    Beth I hate those ligament slip/snap events. So shocking. Glad the ice pack and ibuprofen have you almost back to normal.
    Rebecca I’ll try your friend's simmering water/baking soda trick tomorrow. Joe and I both feel so yucky we may not have the energy to go to the beach.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh: 13, steps>5491= Sat: 2859, Sun: 6403 vits=12.5 log=13 CI<CO=8 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=13 outside=11 up hill=12
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=3.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=7 play= sew=
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Just taking a few minutes to touch base before doing a dance aerobics workout. Already did a short walk when I woke up.

Today I am grateful for the cool autumn air, and praying for those still under the smoky clouds in those areas hit by wildfires.

Meal Planning: When I was teaching I developed a basic 4 week meal plan and a dedicated printed shopping list with tick boxes. It worked very well and we still use the same system, only it’s now a 3 week plan.
    • I update and print out 3 months worth of shopping lists at a time.
    • Each Sunday we have a different roast which is big enough to make 3/4 meals. (Casseroles, stir fries, etc) I cook double portions and freeze half.
    • We share the cooking, and have a salad once a week, fish on Fridays and burgers on Saturdays.
    • We keep various favourite foods in the freezer, so it’s flexible, but I seldom have to worry about what we are going to eat.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Beth- That sounds like what happened recently to my knee. I did pull a ligament about four years ago; but two years ago I re injured it. It almost felt as if the knee cap was in the wrong place and it made bending the knee, sitting at times, and any sideways movement of the leg extremely painful. Especially on the outer leg between the knee and the ankle. Then, like you, I moved a certain way (I think I was reaching high for something) and felt a pop in my knee. Slightly painful, but the next day I had almost full movement and was pain free again. Haven't had a problem with it since. Very weird!
    Rebecca- lol I wondered if your mom had been an aspiring model or actress...Well, you look like Myrna Loy!

KJ
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :|
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    Options
    Just been sorting out my bank mess from the weekend when I accidentally transferred money into an esavings account that doesn't accept new deposits. :# I rang them and they were very sympathetic. They could see the mistake and just wanted an email from me confirming the mistake. So I've done that and they will send it back to my current account. Phew!

Then I paid the invoice for the sanding and wrote a review for them. 5 stars.

DH will be leaving in a few minutes. <3

Much love to all. Hope the rain arrives. :(

We are now restricted to 'the rule of 6' in the UK. Both indoors and outdoors. Doesn't really affect us much, but it means only one parent can bring the 3 grandchildren over. Recently it's only been my son anyway.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    Monday

Back to work. :neutral:

Good walk at lunch.
    • Distance: 5.13km
    • Moving Time: 54:49
    • Pace: 10:41/km

Housework and cycling club stuff this evening.

M in Oz