Options
    October Goal 60ish miles

10/1 3.52
    10/2 snorkel 1 hour (lousy conditions)
    School of Convict Tang with Trumpetfish
    o4saoz4up28p.jpg
    10/3 3.08

Total 6.60

@TheMrWobbly I'm in! (In Hawaii, I can be the stop-off point for North America to Asia (or vice versa....)

RE: monthly question.....since I didn't START running till I was 60, and move pretty much like a big turtle (some will see what I did there.....), haven't really had any injuries to come back from.

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    As for my injury stories, I too have been fortunate not to have many at all. Aside from tripping over about three times and each time smacking my head on the footpath (not advised), my only real injury has been a calf tear which I actually got dashing across a car park in high heels in the rain! To be fair, I had strained the muscle running a very hilly trail event the week prior and that quick, 20 metre sprint was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. Recovery was slow and I set myself back by doing too much too soon, as nearly all runners do, but it was Avery minor injury in the grand scheme of things.

Earlier this year you may remember me moaning about my soleus muscles giving me grief, but while it hurt to run they weren’t injured, I just had to build them up (new coach = increased mileage = muscle fatigue). Finally, now nearly six months later, they’re completely pain free and I can walk downstairs properly in the middle of the night/first thing in the morning. Hallelujah.

I think we runners learn so much about our bodies as the years pass, and I can confidently choose to listen to or ignore a variety of niggles and twinges and assorted pains while running, knowing which ones will pass and while ones require me to stop.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, ensure you GP is a runner, as well as your physio, chiro/osteo, massage therapist and nutritionist. They think like us and will provide better advice and care.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly I'm definitely in!!!

8m in New Plymouth, New Zealand so that gives us 2 kiwi towns (I'm just assuming @ContraryMaryMary is in!)

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @TheMrWobbly I'm definitely in!!!

8m in New Plymouth, New Zealand so that gives us 2 kiwi towns (I'm just assuming @ContraryMaryMary is in!)

I am @TheMrWobbly. And I’m in Auckland.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @durhammfp - I tried to make the distinctions of “PT” clear enough because different things share initials... but I probably got fuzzy somewhere.

The misadventure had 1 lousy doc with no pt, 2nd lousy doc who eventually gave a “PT” referral in the form of Physical Therapy (I think referred to colloquially as “physio” in non US countries??) .... the Therapist and that particular doctor’s general plan was “well just don’t run” - as in we will fix you by having you be completely inactive, but no suggestions to keep other health metrics in check, nor did they see a problem in inactivity, or other solution

I eventually in this process sought the services of “PT” in the form of Personal Trainer while the “PT” Physical Therapist was forbidding running, because not running (and still staying on a relatively healthy track) led to my lifting capacity exceeding my ability to self correct on form.... it was the Trainer who gave the recommendation to an orthopedic specific doc, who he had worked with since he was a collegiate athlete, so some known sports medicine experience, and still recommends.... who has a closely associated “PT” as in Physical Therapist, which led to progress.

But, i still seem to need additional support/intervention when I reach 10 miles a week or more.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    The main thing I like about the Hal app is you tell it which days you want to run and it adapts the plans to that. So as long as you always run on the same days it's great. No flexibility though.
    So, dunno if anyone believed me when I said I wouldn't race my virtual race this morning. Cause oh boy did I race it. Apparently dodgy toenails lead to PRs galore! I had never expected to run a sub 30 minute 5k (28:53), or a 61:13 10k, even less so during a solo virtual race. The high hasn't worn off yet :-)
    Whoever said the Galloway (run-walk-run) method isn't running can look at those numbers and go take a hike! 😂

This is awesome! Great job!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    @durhammfp here's some examples of basic speedwork sessions that my coach has us do on a cycle.

Hill repeats - just find a hill that takes a minute or so to run up to the top. Alternate running up halfway, jogging back down, run all the way up, jog back down, and keep alternating for between 15-30 minutes total.

Short intervals: e.g. 1 minute intervals with 1 minute recoveries between (jog or walk recovery) x 12 times. These can be done out and back or on a track you can keep looping around. Run as hard as you can sustain for 1 minute at a time, 12 times.

Long intervals: 5-7-3 minute intervals x 2 sets with 90 seconds recovery between.

I am putting these in my back pocket. Thanks! So for your long intervals you mean 5 minutes hard, 90 sec recovery, 7 minutes hard, 90 sec recovery, 3 minutes hard, 90 sec recovery, then do it again. Right?

@durhammfp yes that's correct. The recovery varies from 60 seconds to 2 minutes, something like 90 seconds for the first half of the intervals and then 60 seconds for the last half. I can never remember so I just do 90 if I'm doing it on my own.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k easy
    10-2 7k slow
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 7k easy

October Total: 28k
    October Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k

2020 Total through September: 1584k / 176k per month

Mostly cloudy, 50 degrees F, and a little breeze from the southeast. Watch found the GPS satellite right away; I was afraid I'd have to do a reset. Saw a red fox.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @durhammfp - I tried to make the distinctions of “PT” clear enough because different things share initials... but I probably got fuzzy somewhere.

I eventually in this process sought the services of “PT” in the form of Personal Trainer while the “PT” Physical Therapist was forbidding running, because not running (and still staying on a relatively healthy track) led to my lifting capacity exceeding my ability to self correct on form.... it was the Trainer who gave the recommendation to an orthopedic specific doc, who he had worked with since he was a collegiate athlete, so some known sports medicine experience, and still recommends.... who has a closely associated “PT” as in Physical Therapist, which led to progress.

But, i still seem to need additional support/intervention when I reach 10 miles a week or more.

OK gotcha! I'm glad you got that wonky ankle 'resolved' or at least to the point where you could really start running again.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Yeah for the longer run and faster than normal. You are doing great! And, you're right. You can't fail as long as you are moving forward!

@rheddmobile Thanks for the honesty. I know that is going to be the worst part - the chest cracked open. Getting the bone to heal back as quickly as possible will be the number one concern. The only broken bone that I recall having was an elbow back in 1994. It didn't really hurt, unless I accidently moved it too much. I suspect this will be a lot different.

@hanlonsk Wow! Another inspirational story. So sorry about all that you had to go through and that your partner was NOT supportive or just didn't care that you were in pain. Glad you are trying again. I have a feeling this is the time that it will take and you are going to keep it up!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Even in not ideal conditions, I love the picture!

@ContraryMaryMary Glad your finally can run, and walk down stairs, without the soleus muscles giving your grief! Thanks for the input. I know that the surgeon, his PA at least, is a runner, so they understand. Not sure, being in a small town, that I will have the luxury of having everyone I deal with being a runner. I have already decided that I am going to try to get them to forgo Cardiac Rehab because I know, from when dad went through it, that the local person is NOT a runner and follows all of the government recommendations, which I don't agree with. Also, the rehab nurse if very overweight herself and doesn't try to do better - I know because she is my cousin. LOL

@Faebert Glad you and yours are feeling better. So sorry about the rain "inside" the house. Hope it's not too hard to stop/fix. I feel for you.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Thanks.  That's what I am hoping for too.

Thanks @katharmonic. It was definitely stressful.

Thanks @rheddmobile. I am trying to take good care of me. This year has definitely had a lot of stress.

@honunui Love the snorkeling photo.

@Faebert Sorry about the rain in the house. Been there, done that. It is no fun. Hope you and the kiddos are feeling better.