October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    @Camaramandy648 Hey look at you! A podium finisher! Oh and the medals look awesome. I'm not going to go that route because of international shipping, but totally do it!
    @sfinney0825 Glad you are starting to run. If I may give you a little advice though, if you haven't been running, don't set out to run 30 minutes/5 x a week. That is way too much. I suggest you find a couch to 5K (C25K) program and follow it. There are several out there. Just google it.
    Second this. Funky thing about our bodies. The reason we get stronger and faster after exercise is because of a thing called supercompensation, and it looks like this.

1920px-Supercompensation.svg.png

So when we run/lift/swim/whatever, what we are doing is damaging our body just enough for it to say "hey if this is going to become the norm, we'll have to be stronger for the next time". This takes time and rest. So all your improvement actually happens during rest, and the exercise is just your way to kick off the process. The optimal way to improve is to do your next workout during this supercompensation window, and not before or after. Running again too early in the cycle will actually decrease your fitness level and might lead to overtraining or injury.

Of course this is a grossly simplified version of what actually happens in the real world, and just a really long way to say that 5 times a week is too much. Very personal and unprofessional suggestion is a C25K program that runs three times a week, work up to being able to run a decent 5km, and then launch off from there.

Agree completely on the medals, they look awesome but international shipping is way out of my possibilities.

Welcome to all the new members, I'm not able to pay enough attention at the moment to do individual hellos or anything, sorry.

Third (fourth, fifth?) the comments on the 30 minutes 5 times a week idea. Way too much to start with. Too much too soon is the main cause of injury and will also leave you feeling defeated. Couch to 5k is an excellent programme (the first time I did it even that was too hard and I had to modify it!) which includes enough rest and gradual increases in time/distance and you'll feel great (if a little sore at times!)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly very kind offer, but I'm in Spain.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly Yes. I remember the C25K being way too aggressive for me. I had to repeat weeks several times. Sometimes simply due to my brain not thinking I could do it and sometimes legitimately because I physically couldn't. But, I made it through and it felt so good! I think the clothes is definitely a NSV! I have a closet full I need to get rid of, but haven't had the motivation to get at it.

• kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    since @TheMrWobbly brought it up and I'm still fairly new to running compared to you seasoned folks, can we talk shoes for a minute? I know I should invest in a good pair of running shoes (I just have a pair of Nikes now, but they are getting old). What should I keep in mind? what do I look for? I've always just gone with nike runners (the ones that were usually on sale), so any feedback or things I should keep in mind would be great!
  • kristinajeang
    Options
    @quilteryoyo that's about where I am now. I have a lot of mental blocks I'm overcoming in the c25k. I know I could keep running, but my mind is still thinking "youve been running for so long now! You need a walking break!" It's probably half physical/half mental right now for me on this journey
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k easy
    10-2 7k slow
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 7k easy
    10-5 rest
    10-6 7k easy
    10-7 7k easy

October Total: 42k
    October Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k

2020 Total through September: 1584k / 176k per month

Cloudy, mid 50s F, and a breeze from the southwest this morning. Watch wouldn't find the satellites again, so just ran my normal route. Turned watch on at about the 3k point, and it still couldn't find satellites. Tried it at the 6.25k point, and it locked on quickly, even though I was running. It's only 15 months old, and I hope it's not failing. Thoughts?
    Today's head music was "Shout," by the Isley Brothers.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    since @TheMrWobbly brought it up and I'm still fairly new to running compared to you seasoned folks, can we talk shoes for a minute? I know I should invest in a good pair of running shoes (I just have a pair of Nikes now, but they are getting old). What should I keep in mind? what do I look for? I've always just gone with nike runners (the ones that were usually on sale), so any feedback or things I should keep in mind would be great!

I almost hesitate to offer my thoughts, because shoes are as individual as runners.
    A lot depends on the surfaces you run on.
    Many would suggest having a gait analysis done by professionals, and follow their recommendations. I think that's an excellent idea, if feasible.
    If not, experiment and try to find shoes that make your running feet happy.
    Track your distance, which will then provide a guide for how often to replace them.
    I live close to a New Balance Outlet store, so I wear New Balances.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @kristinajeang much as we all love our shoes (and I am a mad Asics fan as the instep support and gel cushioning suits me) the best thing to do is get a gait analysis from a running shop. It will tell you whether you heel impact, overpronate, etc. They will sell you an expensive pair of shoes which is fair enough as they give you the knowledge you need. From then on just look for that style of shoe under any brand that suits you.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly very kind offer, but I'm in Spain.

No problem. Much cheaper from the UK than the US.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ran 5.46 miles this morning. October total: 27.7. Space Race 216.54 -- 31.96 to go!

Hello to all the newbies! I, too, started with C25K and would highly recommend it!
  • kristinajeang
    Options
    Wow, thank you @Tramboman @RunsOnEspresso and @TheMrWobbly ! I actually didnt know there was such a thing as a gait analysis. I feel like theres so much more to running than I thought and learning so much still. I'll have to look up a nearby running shop and find some time to stop in!

And @Scott6255 yeah i think my 50/50 comment is a little light on the mental aspects for sure. It is a huge mental obstacle course most days, even some days just to get up and start running, but I'm still trying to get over many of the mental hurdles I have.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 Miles

10/1: 6.24 miles
    10/4: 11.02 miles
    10/6: 6.22 miles
    10/7: 6.22 miles

29.70/100 miles completed for October

1089.64/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. But yesterday I ran 10K in 1:00:10 which Strava says is my 3rd best 10K time. My average pace was 9:39. I was hoping for a sub 1 hr run, but I was still pretty pleased with 1 hour. I have never run a 10K race so all of my 10K times are training runs. And it was a great run. The weather was really nice and I just felt like I could run forever. I felt strong and fast. It was definitely a runner's high kind of run. Today I ran the same 10K, but not quite as fast. I was trying to take it easy but ended up with a pace of 10:18 which for me is a moderately easy pace. It was a little warmer this morning, but still really nice fall weather. It is just easier to run faster when the weather is nice. I am so thankful that the weather has been nice. I've been so stressed out lately and running is about the only thing keeping me sane.

I had my job interview yesterday. I was so nervous. I haven't interviewed for a job in over 20 years. I think it went well and afterward I was told that they would discuss it with the owner and come up with an offer package and be in touch. Now I am just waiting to hear back from them. I'm thinking if they are coming up with an offer package that I've got the job. But then I don't have anything in writing yet, so I feel unsettled. I have spent the last couple of days writing up a description of all my job duties (which is absolutely everything in this office) and training my boss's wife on how to do my job. It is frustrating, because she seems to think that some of the stuff I do is difficult and I feel like nothing I do is difficult. But I have been here for 20 years and I guess I just know what to do. I haven't actually had enough work to keep me busy for a while so I am looking forward to doing something more challenging which this new job will be. I just hope I hear something soon. The waiting is driving me nuts.

I've been reading through and I know I've missed some posts. But I do want to say @eleanorhawkins. I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your dad's surgery. I know that is really hard on you and on him. I've been thinking a lot about you and just want you to know that you are in my prayers.

@kristinajeang I also recommend going to a running store and getting your gait analyzed. And it is also a good idea to keep track of how many miles you have run in your shoes. My feet usually start getting achy around 300 miles and I know it is time for new shoes. And don't wear your running shoes for anything else. Just running.

@sfinney0825 I also used C25K when I started out and highly recommend it. I think for a new runner starting out at 30 minutes 3 times a week is too aggressive. When I did the C25K I didn't have any problems or need to re-do any weeks. But I think that was because I started it when I was already used to walking about 5-6 miles 6 days a week. I started out walking and counting calories at the same time. I had been walking for over a year and lost 60 pounds before I started trying to run. I think that if I had started C25K at that time I probably would have repeated some of the weeks. And C25K will have you exercising for about 30 minutes 3 times a week, you just won't be running the entire time until you complete it but it is a great way to build up to running without injuring yourself.

@Camaramandy648 Congratulations on your podium finish! But I also agree with @polskagirl01 about the driving.

@Avidkeo Glad to see you back running. I'm hoping and betting that you are just experiencing some soreness from not running for so long. Just take it easy and be patient.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @sfinney0825 I echo what @quilteryoyo said. When I started the c25k both times, I ended up with significant IT band injuries. I'm not saying don't use it. I'm just saying.... listen to your body. Overuse injuries can getcha like nobody's business and can be so painful. What if you did 3 x per week?

@TheMrWobbly Thank you so much!!!! Also CONGRATS!

Also @TheMrWobbly what are we talking about with your medal? What's happening? I've missed something with the thread and skimming. I'm sorry to ask you to repeat yourself!

Shoes: GET FITTED. Same thing about injury prevention.

@PastorVincent medal: Okay so how do we set this up? Do I need to set up a paypal? I guess the first step is to let them know we like it and we want to proceed and find out what the next steps are.