WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 long ago I once had an adult ed student who said he liked to get up as early as possible and stay up as late as possible on weekends to enjoy as much weekend time as possible!

LEAVE here you can have sick leave after a few months. BUT the 1st day is not counted for the past years. so if you are out just one day a few times, it is not paid, but if you are out for up to 3 months in a row without a break, 2 months and 29 days are paid. I have very rarely been out more than one day, so I don't much benefit, but I could if had to.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Tracey I think larger breasted are never going to find a comfortable bra. My bestie is about 4E and has never found a bra that is comfortable. She hates the feel of parallel compression. She says it isn't painful, just not pleasant. She just goes braless unless in public which she avoids as much as possible. I think for the very large breasted, it is braless or have breast reduction surgery.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Yup im a 42 G ladies and no bra is comfortable for me,i usually buy underwire to keep the puppies up.. but ugh..
    Just waiting to pick up Tal and will bring her to McDonald's.. and then home..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I’m a 38 H and my Wacoal Awareness bra is comfortable. My Glamorise sports bra is even more comfortable, so I choose it if I’m going to be working hard and getting sweaty. Going braless, on the other hand, is not comfortable unless I’m sleeping.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, loaded rest of the brush pile into the trailer
    Bonus: finished Joe’s haircut (I liked it better the way it was before the second round :P ) , typed hymns for Sunday’s livestream.
    Get to do: inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care October
    2: look for reasons to be hopeful: Where there’s breath there’s life. Where there’s life there’s hope.

Bit the bullet and signed up for the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Free 7 day trial, $5.95/month thereafter. A few months ago they ran a Signed, Sealed and Delivered marathon and we DVR’d it, but didn’t get all the episodes. Got to the gap and decided I really wanted to watch them in sequence. Was 2000 steps short of goal, so marched in place for over half an hour while watching. Win win!!!

Okie thanks for Kunde.com $22 is 3 times what I pay for a bottle of wine these days, but maybe Santa will buy me half a case… ;) Really hope they haven’t been affected by the wildfires in Sonoma County.
    Karen in VA great news about your spouse’s shoulder and your friend’s recovery from gallstone pancreatitis. Love the image of her zooming from her pickup in the cow pasture.
    Katla :love: hearing the good news about Schooner's surgery.

Tomorrow is our 33rd anniversary. Asked Joe to take me out to lunch but he really doesn’t feel well enough to enjoy it. So I’ll bring lunch home from one of our local restaurants. Not sure if it will be Mexican food or liver and onions :sick::astonished::sick: for Joe and a steak sandwich for me.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 2, weigh: 2, steps>5491=5610 vits=2 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=3 mfp=2 outside=3 up hill=3
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=2 play= sew=2

Kunde Winery is less than an hour from me(had to look them up as I hadn't heard of them until I saw posts here). They are very close to where the fire is but when I look them up it says they are open right now.
    There are so many wineries around in the two valleys- Sonoma(where I grew up and where all my family/friends still are) and Napa where I am.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• dlfk202000
    Options
    @Debbie " that they have lifted the number of hours retirees can work, he is working a lot more so more money coming in- He used to be limited to 63hrs a month or loose his pension for the month if he went over, even 15min. They lifted the limit for three months, then another three months and then end of last month, lifted it indeffinately-(sp?)- He works graveyard shifts to limit exposure to customers. Was working 15 hrs a week and now closer to 40hrs a week." Wow!
    Calorie Burn: I use a calorie burn website. (Google Calorie burn recommendations). MFP tends to be overly generous with their exercise calories. I do short interval walk/jog sessions throughout the day and walk during ad breaks in the evening while watching TV. Zumba also uses a lot of calories.
    yes it seem to me they can be overly generous.

He likes having the extra hours available and not have to watch/keep track of every hour/minute he works so he doesn't go over. It was great when he thought it was just for three months then was nice they extended it three more months but now he is starting to struggle- wanting to work for more money(so he can shop more and that man is a SHOPPER-5 packages of ??? coming today and maybe more) but physically it is starting to really get to him. He works graveyard shifts by his choice but doesn't sleep much before going in and only a few naps some days when he gets home plus the fact that he has had double hip replacement TWICE(first set failed and did a lot of bone damage from Cobalt/Cromium poisoning ) that he still has trouble with. It won't last for ever so he will do as much as he can for now and enjoy the break and might take a month or two off when it is over. He likes seeing his one bank account that is tied to his debit card balance keep going up and up.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Hi folks.
    Spent most of yesterday sorting through art materials which my friend gave me on Thursday. I hadn't seen her face to face since November last year. She and her DH have had quite a time of it. They have been in isolation since December last year as he has cystic fibrosis and he was having problems. They discovered that he has lung cancer, and he has been having chemo over the last 6 months, and has 2 treatments still to go. It's a rare form which apparently doesn't spread, and the chemo appears to be working well, so fingers crossed. He didn't want people to know about it as he didn't want to have people constantly asking about it. It was lovely to see her face to face, albeit both masked. We had a great chat.

Okie: Belated birthday wishes. I hope you had a lovely day.
    Kayla: So pleased that your wee pooch is home and doing well.
    Heather: Grrrr!!!! Tech diffs!!! DYD gave me an iPhone last Christmas. I put it away and didn't set it up until after the family went home as I knew it would cause me angst. (They always do!!!)
    Debbie: Sorry that you are still suffering from the fires. Take care and stay safe. Agree with you re spending. It's amazing how little we can actually get by on when we're not being bombarded with marketing ploys.
    Julie: Here the restrictions have been tighten again. We are also are experiencing increases as they open up. Much too soon IMHO. People get too complacent.

Today I'm planning to continue sorting out my art materials and centralising storage of my craft supplies. I have one wall of the hobbies room quite well organised with matching cupboards and shelving, and have now persuaded DH to build my design for a bespoke storage unit on another wall which will get the rest of my supplies up off the floor and onto organised shelving. At the moment that wall is a mishmash of odd units. I will pay for it with the money I've saved over lockdown.

I will be going to our local supermarket as usual. They are continuing to operate a good system of social distancing and limit the number of customers allowed in, and I have sussed out a good time to go when they aren't busy, so that I don't have to cue to get in now that the autumn weather is here. It's a pleasant day. The storm Heather was talking about is passing to the east of us so far.

The scale is being quite kind at the minute. Sticking to my goals is paying off.

Pax vobiscum 🕊

☘️ Terri

Thanks-
    Nebulizer and inhaler are really helping, that and just staying inside most of the time. The air is better today but I will still limit how much time I am out. Wearing the masks actually seems to help now that I have one that I put the guard in- keeps it off my mouth. I need to get more masks done today- Halloween ones that people have ordered.
    I started making masks just for us and friends then I started getting more orders from people wanting to pay. $5 each didn't seem like a big deal but I have saved it all and it has really added up and it has given me something to do to keep busy. Getting me back sewing has been great.
    That is my goal = to one day have my sewing/craft room all organized. For now, I just keep the door closed. I would love to have it nice and clean so I could actually go in and work. Now, I just keep my sewing machine in the living room on a TV tray by the couch with all my sewing stuff piled up next to it(tons of fabric for masks,thread/bobbins/elastic/velcro/etc and fabric ornaments I am working on for a gift for former mother in law.
    I need to get motivated and get it done. Maybe when I retire

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having my tea... did a load of laundry and just brought it down to the dryer..I love my new washer, and it is a bit of an inconvenience to haul wet laundry to the laundry room, but just dont want to have to deal with the inside venting and moisture in the closet where the washer is so. it goes to laundry room..
    yes most other countries have quite a bit more vacation and sick time and family leave time.. not so much the US..
    my friend Trudy has been working all her life and working hard and with her Ex passing away he left the life insurance as her as the beneficiary , also because he was disabled , she will be able to collect his Social Security and go on Medicare at age 60.. which she will turn in December.. she has 2 daughters 1 adopted and one she had at 40.. who will be 21 in January..
    younger one said she would be the administrator for the estate, but has not held her side of the bargain, the other daughter has issues with drugs etc...so I have a feeling Trudy will end up taking it all on...
    that brings me to Tom,I know in the divorce decree he has to keep a life insurance policy in himself so that if something happens my alimony is paid, but other than that I dont know what his plans are, I am hoping Elena can nail that down for him. Tom saw what I had to go through with my dads stuff and it wasnt easy ,but Tom has more at stake than my dad by a long shot..
    I am taking my granddaughter to her art class today so that Tracy and Kyle can go to the fertility clinic.. bless them both Tracy wants another child so bad..
    it will be in the high 60s today so I have layered the clothes ..
    I love October..

Good luck/prayers on the fertility clinic. That is so stressful to go through- tried for years with both husbands. I didn't have success with it BUT adopted the most amazing baby boy who is now 22yrs old and my whole world. In the beginning of the treatments I said, oh, I will never do the shots, etc- in the end, I would have kept trying if the doctors would have let me- 30plus shots and 7 blood tests in a week plus other tests- still would have tried but God had other plans and then we got that amazing call- We were just finishing up classes to be foster parents in hopes of adopting- Marie Taylor(still remember her name) called and said "Would you like to meet AND pick up your son tomorrow??" 24hrs from the call we brought him home 2 1/2 weeks old, a bit preemie but PERFECT.
    My former hubby, also named Tom, did not have to pay alimony or anything but years later he set up a life insurance policy that will go to me. Current husband doesn't know about it- will be just for me. He didn't have to do it but something he wanted to do. He also set up some kind of allotment from his military retirement but that hasn't started yet, not sure if it will go through or not. Nice to know it will be there but do NOT want to collect for many years.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Calories - How do you all burn so many calories in so little time? I did a 45 minute workout with weights the other day and burned a measly 104 calories. I can walk for an hour, or 3 miles and burn about 200 and that's at a 16-17 minute mile. What is the secret???

Tina in CA

Yes, I wonder that too.

An hour's walk is about 200 calories.
    An hour's bicycle ride is about 400 calories.

To burn 1000 calories, I'd need to walk for 5 hours or cycle for 2.5 hours.

M in Oz

Has anyone thought of the pace of your walk and if there is any incline or elevation to it. Same with a bike ride, watts/ power u are putting into it, rpm or elevation?, when I burn over 1k, I show what I did, how long, etc.. and the heart rate to show how hard I am wwirking to burn those calories

My walking pace is usually 6 km/h or 10 min/km. MFP calls that a "brisk pace". Various sources will sometimes indicate a higher calorie burn than 200 calories per hour, but there's no way I would go with that. I don't feel I've exerted myself that much.

I calculate cycling as 100 calories for every 5 km, no matter what elevation changes happen because, unless I'm doing a Point A to Point B ride, what goes up must come down. So I cycle at about 20 km/h = 400 calories.

The main thing is ... whatever numbers you choose (and they are all estimates except if you've got a power metre on your bicycle), if you are losing weight, you've got the right numbers for you. If you're not losing weight, and think you should be, you might need to rethink the calories burned.

M in Oz

I’ve never gone by what mfp says for any exercise that I’ve done as far as the calorie burn goes., I have always manually entered what my actual calorie burn was verses what mfp says. As someone else mentioned, height and especially weight has a lot to do with it. If I was to run beside someone else for a mile and run at their pace which might be slower than my usual pace, that person may burn like 120 calories while I might burn 70
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka,
    Most companies here do not have pensions so it doesn't matter how long one stays at a company. I get an extra week of vacation which is impossible to take. We have to use all of our vacation time each year or lose it. I would love for them to payout unused vacation. Not many companies do.

I'm just hoping they allow me to order something other than a watch. There are a few nice laptops I would prefer and would get much more use out of it.

The company my husband retired from(and then went back to part time, with restrictions) have an 85 and Out clause if you meet that you can retire with full pension. It is your age plus years worked add up to 85. He worked 35yrs and started at 17 so retired at 52. They asked him to come back and as long as he doesnt go over 63hrs a month, gets his full pension. With the virus, they lifted that limit so works a lot more but still gets full pension. He wanted to take the 85 and Out while it was still available- they keep talking about taking it out of the contract and then he would have had to work a lot longer.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka,
    Most companies here do not have pensions so it doesn't matter how long one stays at a company. I get an extra week of vacation which is impossible to take. We have to use all of our vacation time each year or lose it. I would love for them to payout unused vacation. Not many companies do.

I'm just hoping they allow me to order something other than a watch. There are a few nice laptops I would prefer and would get much more use out of it.

California does not allow use it or lose it. A lot of people decide to save it up and get a big payout at the end of the year.

Tina in CA

husband did that which helped beings it took months for his retirement to kick in. After 35yrs in, he was getting 5 weeks of vacation and they kept canceling his vacations for one reason or another so he just used it at the end.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    Lanette It is the Blue 55 Racerback Bralette. I use the large/extralarge size. The medium/large was too binding on my above boob arm muscles. I am 36-38 A depending on the bra styling. These are a lightweight medium compression bra and great for my workout and also my active all-day wear. What is your under boob, bust, and over boob measure? What size do you normally wear in a bra? Perhaps I might suggest a size as their charts are off. The extra large gives me full boob coverage with no uni-boob look so common in compression bras of the low scoop style. They come with padding that I removed and tossed. I think padding takes away from the compression that conforms to your shape. This medium compression racerback style may not appear to give you the boob lift or support you want, but the back and lower shoulder support make the difference to me. I was leery about the metal ring they use to attach the front straps to the back straps, but it hits in the shoulder hollow and is no problem. I have ordered from both Amazon Prime and directly from Blue 55. Photo is with padding in.

lolj72ps52s5.jpg
    vv5zf43ek5t3.jpg

Here I am in their older style racerback, but it has a lower cut V front and I am wearing a medium/large size. The new style with a higher V (scoop) front and in a lg/xlg size is so much more comfortable and gives a lot more cleavage cover with no binding on chest/arm muscle.
    kp9wq3td31dc.jpg

I hope this helps
    Faye

Faye - thank you for all of that info! I just measured - 34" under boob, 39" around boob/bust. What a surprise, I've been wearing 36C or 38B depending on style. According to the various sizing charts I just checked out, I should be at around a 38 D or DD! No wonder things aren't fitting. Seems like either my cups runneth over or there's way too much room in each cup. :s

I wonder Blue 55 racerback will give enough support... those straps look pretty thin, but the design looks great.What do you think?

I've been looking at all kinds on Amazon - looks like a wide band under the boob that doesn't roll is the trick. I would like to get rid of the underwires, and the floppy straps I'm always adjusting.

If I ever get to Olympia I'll head into Macy's and actually get fit. I had a professional fitting many years ago, went in there last year and the fitter wasn't there that day. :( So I've been grabbing this and that at Walmart or the Outlet Stores.

What you said about bras and posture made total sense.

I just finished cleaning out/rearranging my sock/bra/undie drawer. Filled a bag with too-short socks I'll give to the Mission. I've been meaning to do that and see what was actually hiding in there!

Thanks all of you ladies for the bra comments!! Really appreciate them!

Lanette B)
    Sunny (finally) SW WA State where I'm hoping to get in an afternoon walk with my neighbor.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    usa3f900vyhs.jpeg
    Our spin bike was delivered while we were walking! Kirby is putting her together!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I just got home from returning items that DH sent me to buy. Next time, he can do his own shopping. :grumble: He did realize how unfair it was for me to have to pick up and return unwanted items within a 30 minute window. Maybe this will result in a change for the better. :star:
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Neighbors invited us down for drinks on their patio at 6:15. I told them we couldn't because we have kickoff for our football game at 6:30. They said that's easy, fire up the back porch TV at your house and we'll come there. Works for us. Luckily, the house was neat and somewhat clean. I cleaned the 1/2 bath toilet that they will use and called it good. Well, I did wipe down the fire table on the porch also. It's a small group, the two neighbors that invited us and one other couple. They guy across the street didn't respond to the text invite (he never does) but he'll probably wander over at some point.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lanette I would say NO for you on the Blue 55 or probably any bralette style. Take a look at the Wacoal bras as DrKatie recommends. I think they have the most accurate fitness chart as it applies to their bras. You can visit their webpage and take the quiz and then you will have an idea when you go in person. I love Wacoal bras and they offer so many styles. Wacoal says you are a 38A with your 5" differential. In my last Wacoal I was 36AA. Let us know when you find your best bra.

Wacoal Future Foundation Wire-Free T-Shirt Bra fit me OK with the straps hooked in back in a 36A. It was a bit more cup fabric than I like and I don't like padding or formed cups, but they don't offer it in AA or removable cups.

Future Foundation Wire Free Racerback I loved this bra for looks, but I required a large and it was too much cup gapping.

Intuition T-Shirt Push Up Bra in a 36A with straps crossed was close, but again the molded cups being a bit large didn't give me the look or feel I like. I have a photo in it under a top that I will try to find so you can see how it showed at the cup top.

Check out the Wacoal site. I think they will have a bra that will fit you and look amazing and be comfortable.