okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Barbara!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having my tea... did a load of laundry and just brought it down to the dryer..I love my new washer, and it is a bit of an inconvenience to haul wet laundry to the laundry room, but just dont want to have to deal with the inside venting and moisture in the closet where the washer is so. it goes to laundry room..
    yes most other countries have quite a bit more vacation and sick time and family leave time.. not so much the US..
    my friend Trudy has been working all her life and working hard and with her Ex passing away he left the life insurance as her as the beneficiary , also because he was disabled , she will be able to collect his Social Security and go on Medicare at age 60.. which she will turn in December.. she has 2 daughters 1 adopted and one she had at 40.. who will be 21 in January..
    younger one said she would be the administrator for the estate, but has not held her side of the bargain, the other daughter has issues with drugs etc...so I have a feeling Trudy will end up taking it all on...
    that brings me to Tom,I know in the divorce decree he has to keep a life insurance policy in himself so that if something happens my alimony is paid, but other than that I dont know what his plans are, I am hoping Elena can nail that down for him. Tom saw what I had to go through with my dads stuff and it wasnt easy ,but Tom has more at stake than my dad by a long shot..
    I am taking my granddaughter to her art class today so that Tracy and Kyle can go to the fertility clinic.. bless them both Tracy wants another child so bad..
    it will be in the high 60s today so I have layered the clothes ..
    I love October..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tomorrow is our 33rd anniversary. Asked Joe to take me out to lunch but he really doesn’t feel well enough to enjoy it. So I’ll bring lunch home from one of our local restaurants. Not sure if it will be Mexican food or liver and onions :sick::astonished::sick: for Joe and a steak sandwich for me.
    Barbara

Happy Anniversary!

Funny thing ... I was actually thinking about liver and onions the other day. Thinking that no one seems to eat that anymore. I actually didn't mind it when I was growing up - we had it about once a month or so. But once I "moved out" and started cooking for myself at 18, I never had it again. It's just not something I would cook. At one time, I may have considered ordering it in a restaurant, but not now.

From the time I could eat solid food until I was 18, I had steak for lunch just about every Sunday. Maybe 800 steak dinners!! And the whole time I did not like steak. The second I "moved out" I vowed never to have it again, and I have kept that vow so far! :smiley:

I usually go vegetarian when I eat out.

Happy Birthday to all the Birthday girls! :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Editing my group's Assignment 3 on a Saturday night while watching UK's Escape to the Country.

The exciting life I lead.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara, Happy Anniversary! <3

Katla, How are your dog’s nether parts this morning? :D

Getting ready to work for a few hours. Then hopeful to get the perennial lantana in the ground.

Karen in Virginia

• Lewis2568
    Lewis2568 Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Everyday is an opportunity for a new beginning.

Tina Florida
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Lanette It is the Blue 55 Racerback Bralette. I use the large/extralarge size. The medium/large was too binding on my above boob arm muscles. I am 36-38 A depending on the bra styling. These are a lightweight medium compression bra and great for my workout and also my active all-day wear. What is your under boob, bust, and over boob measure? What size do you normally wear in a bra? Perhaps I might suggest a size as their charts are off. The extra large gives me full boob coverage with no uni-boob look so common in compression bras of the low scoop style. They come with padding that I removed and tossed. I think padding takes away from the compression that conforms to your shape. This medium compression racerback style may not appear to give you the boob lift or support you want, but the back and lower shoulder support make the difference to me. I was leery about the metal ring they use to attach the front straps to the back straps, but it hits in the shoulder hollow and is no problem. I have ordered from both Amazon Prime and directly from Blue 55. Photo is with padding in.

lolj72ps52s5.jpg
    vv5zf43ek5t3.jpg

Here I am in their older style racerback, but it has a lower cut V front and I am wearing a medium/large size. The new style with a higher V (scoop) front and in a lg/xlg size is so much more comfortable and gives a lot more cleavage cover with no binding on chest/arm muscle.
    kp9wq3td31dc.jpg

I hope this helps
    Faye

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Barbara - Happy 33rd! <3 What an achievement! You could have bought those candles to stick in a bun. :D I like any excuse to light them.

SuziQ - I've done two restarts, but might try a proper power off. :) I may have cured it, but haven't tested it out yet.

It has been raining for a couple of days and is set to rain for the next few, but out south east corner had a gap in the clouds for a few hours, so DH and I went out for my run. I think the whole of Hove had the same idea! At least it was well behaved locals and not tourists. All went fine. Before I set out I was stiff, but soon loosened up and clipped along fine. I feel like the Duracell bunny once I get started. :) Really pleased to have got one in.

Lots of birthday cards arrived today. None yesterday. I think the postman must have missed us out!

South East France having terrible floods. :'( People killed. Same storm as we had.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka,
    Most companies here do not have pensions so it doesn't matter how long one stays at a company. I get an extra week of vacation which is impossible to take. We have to use all of our vacation time each year or lose it. I would love for them to payout unused vacation. Not many companies do.

I'm just hoping they allow me to order something other than a watch. There are a few nice laptops I would prefer and would get much more use out of it.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Calories - How do you all burn so many calories in so little time? I did a 45 minute workout with weights the other day and burned a measly 104 calories. I can walk for an hour, or 3 miles and burn about 200 and that's at a 16-17 minute mile. What is the secret???

Tina in CA

Yes, I wonder that too.

An hour's walk is about 200 calories.
    An hour's bicycle ride is about 400 calories.

To burn 1000 calories, I'd need to walk for 5 hours or cycle for 2.5 hours.

M in Oz

Has anyone thought of the pace of your walk and if there is any incline or elevation to it. Same with a bike ride, watts/ power u are putting into it, rpm or elevation?, when I burn over 1k, I show what I did, how long, etc.. and the heart rate to show how hard I am wwirking to burn those calories
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Barbara Happy 33rd and sorry Joe is not feeling great. I can sure sympathize with his eye pain. I hope he can get it resolved soon without losing any more vision. Hope your weather is great there and your special day is noteworthy.

SuzieQ I would be in dire straights without my pension. I just wish I had taken only jobs that paid into pension much earlier in life, but I might never have lived to collect it as it seems the hard high-stress jobs are the pension paying ones. Congrats on 10 years, that is a big one!!! The longest I ever made on one job was 18 years. I was going for 20, but it almost killed me and took my health and all my saving until I could collect pension and SSD.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Work Leave - this job is the best I’ve ever had for leave. We have about 17 weeks of sick leave, more than 3 days in a row requires a doctors note though. This is so we have short term disability in the event of a major illness. We then have 12 regular statutory days, plus 2 float stats that can be used whenever we want and 3 weeks paid holiday.
    I am very fortunate with leave and benefits here, that is why I’m struggling with decisions regarding the boss’ attitude, although she has been much better since she came back from vacation or at least I haven’t heard of anything.

In the past I remember going to work so sick I don’t know how I actually drove there. I was shocked last year when I had a mild cold and was sent home and told to stay there. It was such a change in how employers had treated me in the past.

Barbara - Happy Anniversary to you and Joe. We don’t get the Hallmark channel here, but W Network airs the Hallmark Christmas movies and my daughter that just moved and I used to watch them together while we were in our own homes and texted back and forth. She doesn’t have satellite or cable so we have made dates for a couple of sleepover dates to watch some this year.
    I do miss the original Hallmark Christmas movies where they were aired as a Sunday night special with the special commercials that were a story themselves. My favourite was one called Santa and Pete. I may find that as a gift for myself this year. My Grandson is old enough to enjoy it, it explains how Christmas is celebrated with different customs throughout the world.

Terri - I have to get back to my craft room project, last weekend I took a real break.

Suzi - Happy 10th work anniversary. I hope they allow you to choose something else. My Son in law’s company has a catalogue of items that they can choose from based on years of service.

The compression bras sound so painful to me. Maybe it’s because I’m fairly large and find even a light bra sometimes too much.

I up way earlier than I like to be on a Saturday or Sunday, why is it I could sleep in so well during the week when I have to get up, but not on days I can sleep in? Frustrating.

I think I am going to work in the craft room some today and take some items to the local thrift shop.
    I may do some crafting tomorrow. I have a large sign outside that is welcoming people to our deck. I think I will do something on the backside for the Winter season, just can’t decide if I want to do Christmas or just Winter.

I should get at it.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Calories - How do you all burn so many calories in so little time? I did a 45 minute workout with weights the other day and burned a measly 104 calories. I can walk for an hour, or 3 miles and burn about 200 and that's at a 16-17 minute mile. What is the secret???

Tina in CA

Yes, I wonder that too.

An hour's walk is about 200 calories.
    An hour's bicycle ride is about 400 calories.

To burn 1000 calories, I'd need to walk for 5 hours or cycle for 2.5 hours.

M in Oz

Has anyone thought of the pace of your walk and if there is any incline or elevation to it. Same with a bike ride, watts/ power u are putting into it, rpm or elevation?, when I burn over 1k, I show what I did, how long, etc.. and the heart rate to show how hard I am wwirking to burn those calories

My walking pace is usually 6 km/h or 10 min/km. MFP calls that a "brisk pace". Various sources will sometimes indicate a higher calorie burn than 200 calories per hour, but there's no way I would go with that. I don't feel I've exerted myself that much.

I calculate cycling as 100 calories for every 5 km, no matter what elevation changes happen because, unless I'm doing a Point A to Point B ride, what goes up must come down. So I cycle at about 20 km/h = 400 calories.

The main thing is ... whatever numbers you choose (and they are all estimates except if you've got a power metre on your bicycle), if you are losing weight, you've got the right numbers for you. If you're not losing weight, and think you should be, you might need to rethink the calories burned.

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Heather ... Happy Belated Birthday!

Barbara ... Happy Anniversary!

Barbie ... thanks for the new thread ...

Halloween Candy ... won't buy it until the day of. I've had to buy candy multiple times some years because we got into it before Halloween. Same thing with Easter candy.

Calorie Burns ... besides the factors Pip mentioned (who is a calorie burning machine), current weight/height affect the numbers as well.

I spent a lot of September bouncing around with my diet/weight, but entered October on a downward trend. Overall, I'm losing about 2/3 of a pound per week. Slow, slow, slow but I'll take it.

Putting up apples this weekend.
    Beth near Buffalo
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka,
    Most companies here do not have pensions so it doesn't matter how long one stays at a company. I get an extra week of vacation which is impossible to take. We have to use all of our vacation time each year or lose it. I would love for them to payout unused vacation. Not many companies do.

I'm just hoping they allow me to order something other than a watch. There are a few nice laptops I would prefer and would get much more use out of it.

We don't really have pensions exactly here. It's a different system.

But several organisations offer long service leave. So when you hit 7 years (merely days away for me) you start accumulating long service leave, but you can't touch it until you hit 10 years. Employees are entitled to eight and two thirds weeks of long service leave upon the completion of at least 10 years of continuous employment with their employer. On top of this, they are entitled to four and one third weeks for each additional five years of service after the initial 10 years.
    https://worksafe.tas.gov.au/topics/laws-and-compliance/long-service-leave

So I think that leave is on top of our normal 4 weeks of leave.

Therefore it is very tempting for me to stay here 3 more years, and then, if we're going to move to Canada, I could go on 12 weeks of paid leave which could give me time to pack, move and start job hunting. But we'll see. Never know.

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Editing my group's Assignment 3 on a Saturday night while watching UK's Escape to the Country.

The exciting life I lead.

M in Oz

Isn't that your last assignment? If so, that is definitely exciting.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka,

California does not allow use it or lose it. A lot of people decide to save it up and get a big payout at the end of the year.

Tina in CA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Suzi, most people seem to think there won't be a complete lockdown again, for economic reasons. but bars and restaurants may well close. A laptop sound way more interesting than a watch!

I'm glad I went to 2 museums and to meet 2 friends at cafés today. it was pleasant, interesting, a bit of exercise too (we went for a little walk with 2nd friend).