WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Saturday - rainy and cool. Zwift London.

Distance: 15.29km
    Elevation: 200m
    Moving Time: 1:01:28
    Elapsed Time: 1:01:28

...................... Avg ............. Max
    Speed ........ 14.9km/h ....... 76.0km/h
    Heart Rate . 139bpm ........ 156bpm
    Cadence ..... 69 ................ 104
    Power ......... 79W ............. 166W
    iljks8wnbgfc.png

M in Oz

Strava gave me 277 calories for this hour-long ride yesterday evening. I figure that's about right. :)

If you've cycled with Zwift, this is London's Box Hill route, but I've got a "dumb trainer" that doesn't automatically adjust when there is climbing. :)

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Calories - How do you all burn so many calories in so little time? I did a 45 minute workout with weights the other day and burned a measly 104 calories. I can walk for an hour, or 3 miles and burn about 200 and that's at a 16-17 minute mile. What is the secret???

Tina in CA

Yes, I wonder that too.

An hour's walk is about 200 calories.
    An hour's bicycle ride is about 400 calories.

To burn 1000 calories, I'd need to walk for 5 hours or cycle for 2.5 hours.

M in Oz

Has anyone thought of the pace of your walk and if there is any incline or elevation to it. Same with a bike ride, watts/ power u are putting into it, rpm or elevation?, when I burn over 1k, I show what I did, how long, etc.. and the heart rate to show how hard I am wwirking to burn those calories

My walking pace is usually 6 km/h or 10 min/km. MFP calls that a "brisk pace". Various sources will sometimes indicate a higher calorie burn than 200 calories per hour, but there's no way I would go with that. I don't feel I've exerted myself that much.

I calculate cycling as 100 calories for every 5 km, no matter what elevation changes happen because, unless I'm doing a Point A to Point B ride, what goes up must come down. So I cycle at about 20 km/h = 400 calories.

The main thing is ... whatever numbers you choose (and they are all estimates except if you've got a power metre on your bicycle), if you are losing weight, you've got the right numbers for you. If you're not losing weight, and think you should be, you might need to rethink the calories burned.

M in Oz

I’ve never gone by what mfp says for any exercise that I’ve done as far as the calorie burn goes., I have always manually entered what my actual calorie burn was verses what mfp says. As someone else mentioned, height and especially weight has a lot to do with it. If I was to run beside someone else for a mile and run at their pace which might be slower than my usual pace, that person may burn like 120 calories while I might burn 70

I usually go with what Strava says, except for walking ... it gives me really high numbers for walking. Like this for example ...

ahy4yra98kn6.png

Regarding bras --- back in my 20s I discovered sports bras and cotton pull over bras (crop bras). I've never looked back! Well, that's not entirely true. I had to find a bra that did up with hooks when I had my nose surgery just recently!! I hadn't worn one of those in decades!

No horrible underwire.
    No digging into the wrong places.
    No hooks.
    No straps that fall off.
    Comfortable material I can wear all day at work.
    Stretchy material that allows me to move and not feel constricted.

M in Oz

I used to go by what my wahoo chest strap said and that was what I would record on map. After this last time that I broke the chest strap, I gave up and haven’t ordered another new one I’ve gone through maybe 5-6 of them. Now I go/record what my Apple Watch says. Strava has been my backup since I’ve been using the watch as my primary.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    [
    Debbie, thank you so much for the news of Kunde. Mama and Papa lived in Napa (in the Brookside garden home development) from ’72 til their passing in the 80s. I still stop and the Tulocay cemetary whenever I’m in California. Hope your DH soon finds a balance between work and wear on the body. That’s an awesome pension, what kind of work does your DH do? Is it union?
    Katla what in heck did your DH want you to buy? If he’s unable to shop in store, could he do the online thing?
    Cheri :love: the new profile pic!

Our beloved fog has returned. So cooling and cozy. Thankful.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh: 3, steps>5491=4528 so far, vits=3 log=3 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=4 mfp=3 outside=3 up hill=3
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=2 play= sew=0
    [/quote]

Husband works for Safeway, yes it is union. He used to manage the deli before he retired, now he helps there, file maint.doing price changes on Wed for the store or in Variety helping with stocking/price changes/etc.
    He went back after retiring because he was too young to totally retire and he knew exactly what the job was, no interview/no learning curve and he picks his hours. Now that he is working basically full time, they are also reimbursing him for his medical so he gets back $300 a month until the cut back on the hours. He just has to pay for my medical and the coverage is quite a bit better for our meds.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Barbara...happy 33 anniversary!
    Karla... wonderful Schooner is home and surgery was successful.

On bras.....haven’t really found a comfortable one for everyday use. I now wear the Coobie bra. I just wish they weren’t ,over the head contraptions. They go on easily enough but hard to take off.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    qv84gs2nuda0.png

:)

But not this weekend. We've had 27 mm of rain in the last 24 hours, mostly in the last 12 hours. Not particularly nice cycling weather. So we'll ride inside.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Yay! Worked for 4 hours...and then went out into this absolutely gorgeous day and planted all the Miss Huff perennial lantana! I was so tickled. Earlier in the summer I started lantana cuttings, and so my 6 plants turned into 15! Should be a very nice display next summer, with 3 different hydrangeas, Miss Huff lantana, and Stell d’Oro daylilies. I moved a rose, and am thinking about moving an azalea that’s kind of in the way.
    Karen in Virginia

That is quite impressive. Mitch loves lantanas and has managed to grow them down here in TX. They are flowering now! How did you do the lantana cuttings? Your garden must look beautiful!

Cheri

>>>

<3 (((CHERI!!!))) <3

I could not believe how easy is is to propogate lantana. Nearly as easy as coleus or basil. I just cut 12 inch woody stems, removed the bottom few leaf pairs, poked a hole in some soil (I used basic garden soil mixed with a bit of bone meal), and voila! new plants. Most of them didn’t even droop. They just took off. I took some more cuttings as I transplanted the original plants today and expect to have more rootlings to plant in another 2 weeks or so. So exciting.

My garden is beautiful in my mind only. In reality, this year I let the weeds get out of hand. I have to figure out how to deal with weeds better. More Preen. More mulch. Should be pretty in the spring but I do need to stay on top of the undesirables.

Hope you are doing okay, my friend.

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Michele, Try twisting the ear loops once when putting the mask on, like this:

fau1znpzqtth.png

or use a gadget like this:

9fsyfq1y9416.png

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Ii
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Tracey - you look so much like your dad! <3

When I'm up reading my tablet around 6 am, there's a house , just down the road and opposite, that has an upper window lit with a beautiful lilac light. The blind, half pulled down is dark red. I love seeing it when I come in here to read. But why lilac??
    If I'm upstairs, the house directly behind us gets up early and I can see lights and people moving about in their new kitchen extension. On weekends it is dark in there. Weekdays, a few other houses have lights on early.
    Our clocks go back on the last weekend in October.
    I must also do my tax by the end of the month. I don't actually pay any tax, but I still complete a paper form because of my writing earnings.
    Will spend some of today moving ornaments. I have a lot of ceramics and some pictures. Luckily we didn't bring the vintage paperbacks back in after the floor sanding. I just have a small shelf of antique books along with my grandfather's Sunday School prizes for 'good attendance'. :D

Flu jab tomorrow afternoon. I hope I don't forget with all the painter excitement!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Our clocks go back on the last weekend in October.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Meanwhile, down here, today is the first day of DST. So happy! :)

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi all. I was too tired last night to comment. Slept well, then woke to heavy rain and moderate wind from Storm Alex, so will be working on organising my art/craft materials today. Already did a HIIT walk/jog session round the house to get the blood flowing.

Bras: I wear a 42C non wired bra, but it usually comes off in late afternoon as it gets uncomfortable. I wear a soft sports bra or camisole for workouts. In earlier years I wore a camisole with an inset bra most of the time, and had more structured engineering when I was going out dancing. My preference is for going braless or wearing a cotton camisole, but I look better in a bra, so I wear one. I did find comfortable ones in M&S but, then when I bought them a second time, they were not so comfy, so I still wear the 3 old ones. M&S bras are practically indestructible.

Tracey: I love that you have displayed your parent's wedding photo in a frame made by your dad.
    Barbara: 🍾🥂Happy Anniversary 🥂🍾 And best wishes for Joe getting off the meds.
    Michele: I don't think I'll bother with sourdough. I think I'll stick with my whole grain olive.
    Karen: Those mask gadgets have given me an idea.

Breakfast time, I think. We will hopefully have a family Skype before dinner.

I hope out enjoy your Sunday as much as I intend to. 💕💖💕
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- Rainy day in Tasmania. Another Zwift ride!

Distance: 11.42km
    Elevation: 204m 
    Moving Time: 49:09
    Elapsed Time: 49:09 

......................... Avg ............    Max
    Speed ...........    13.9km/h .....    62.6km/h
    Heart Rate ....    143bpm ......    155bpm
    Cadence ........    71 ..............    103
    Power ............    78W ...........    148W
    Calories    217

7bgalhhu5hle.png

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Rain, rain, rain ...

6v965wy241sy.png

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Up an hour earlier again this morning. I guess my body is preparing for the coming time change. The last change back to regular time. I was never a fan of daylight saving time, but my main objection was the change twice a year. It also seemed to me that another hour of daylight in the evening would be more beneficial in the winter than the summer. But, alas, no one gave a fat pack rats tail what Faye thought. Next year, having the same time year-round will be great.

I had a dream last night that I was married and the DH asked me to bring him his coffee. I gave him one of my scalding discourses and it redefined ugly. I woke up thinking, there is an old man out there somewhere that doesn't even realize how lucky he is to not be married to me. So many old guys out there whining about being lonely when they should be grateful.

Faye - ex mountain woman
    Wild Country NW USA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Greetings from SFL.

The rain unbelievable yesterday morning and then again last night. As I was turning in to bed and turning off my Kindle the rain came in so hard it sounded like a freight train was passing outside of my window. I awakened to partly cloudy skies with some bright blue mixed in. It’s my hope the rain subsides soon so I can enjoy outdoor yoga next Saturday.

Next week will be another busy week at work. We are closing out the quarter so all of us will be crunching numbers and getting accruals to accounting. Another hope…….we hit our mark so we can get our full bonuses. Last quarter our bonuses were cut by 25%.

Cheri and Karen – Lantana is a perennial here in SFL. It grows so quickly it gets very leggy. I usually plant in the summer because it is very draught resistant and provides a lot of color with very little maintenance.

Faye – Most US companies in this day and age, regardless of the stress, do not offer pensions. The unions have lost their appeal and strength over the years. Florida is a right to work State. Employers and employees have the right to work and may leave or be fired at will. I am extremely fortunate Charlie worked for a County College as an English professor early enough he had a pension through the State. Given our age difference he selected a smaller payout so when he passed I would receive his pension until my death. He plan pays a guaranteed additional 3% per year. We plan and God laughs. My dear Charlie died a darn semester prior to his official retirement. Now, the college where he worked and many others, push employees to save for their own retirement with very small pension provisions. Your dream and afterthoughts gave me a chuckle.

Beth – Your apple crumb pie looks delicious! The picture made my mouth water.

Cheri – So glad to see you posting again. Hope you are well and healthy. You look very happy in your profile picture.

Barbara – I would have enough “points” to get a laptop which I much rather get as a 10-year award. I would use it every day versus a watch that I “may” wear once or twice a year. A co-worker told me she sold her watch. Seeing it is an award I feel I should be able to make my own choice within the cost parameters and not have to go through the trouble of selling the watch and then buying what I want. But greater minds than mine are at work here! 😊

Heather – The floors look so good! A new coat of paint will certainly brighten things up.

Tracey – Love the fall décor. Seeing your picture may motivate me to pull out my seasonal towels and decorations.

Tina – Many moons ago one of my work tasks at a previous company was to enter in payroll hours for the hourly employees. When we had Californians on temporary assignment in Florida I would be amazed at the Californian payroll laws in comparison to those in Florida.

Allie – I am looking forward to the day I can collect restricted spousal SSI benefits. Only 3.5 more years to go! It’s my plan to put those monies right in to savings and invest as appropriate. It will certainly add up to a nice chunk of change when I officially retire. Praying for Tracy and Kyle.

Wow, the sun is out!!!! Time for me to get moving. I would like to trim back some growth in the garden today and get things ready for fall/winter plants!

Hugs to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Cheri and Karen – Lantana is a perennial here in SFL. It grows so quickly it gets very leggy. I usually plant in the summer because it is very draught resistant and provides a lot of color with very little maintenance.

Hugs to all.
    SuziQ – SFL

Is that this plant?

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsheets/weed-alert-lantana/9427632

M in Oz