GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »

Great job!!! Honest question Bc I always wondered this.... what is the benefit of a rack pull over a conventional DL? Is it Bc the weight can be a bit higher since it is higher or just similar to partial movements focusing more the top half of the deadlift? Wondering if after my strongman meet I should add them to my split.

I always wondered this too when I first got seriously interested in both. It’s the same lift. The rack pulls keep the extreme bend out of the lift. Which does help a bit with lowering chances for injury. In my opinion it allows you to lift a bit more because you’re in a stronger starting position. Rack pulls are also not recognized in strength competitions. I have several friends that compete in strength comps and they train on dead’s leading up to comp and focus on racks the rest of the year. All have told me they notice little to no difference in the benefit on strength or muscle gains over the other. I’d also love to hear others opinions on the difference as well.

I agree with your assessment.

The one thing I would say though is it depends on the height you set your rack pull to. I know guys that are just at or below the kneecap and there isn't as much gain or improvement (unless focusing on that specific part of the deadlift) as lower depending on your height. The lowest rack I have available to me is mid-shin on me which is where I typically rack pull from. That's still 6 inches higher than a conventional for me.

I also like to think of rack pulls as a way to train different parts of a deadlift, because you can adjust height on them. The lower you pull the closer to the conventional you are. But sometimes you need to work on hip hinge, or lock out, or keeping lats tight through lift, grip, etc. To me it allows for me to break down what I need to strengthen in the entire movement, and focus on that as well just by adjusting bar height.

Personally, I can pull heavier weight from the rack. They are great for working on lockout at a higher weight, and if I notice if I'm struggling at the top of my lift I'll rack pull to strengthen that aspect

I also use rack pulls as an alternative to lacking gym equipment so I could simulate an axle bar pull that would be a bit higher-- think hummer tire deadlift.

Rack pulls are a lot lower risk to reward and if not training for something they are great. I would personally switch to the rack pulls completely (when not training for something with a deadlift event) but I love the deadlift too much and I just feel better when there is a deadlift in my program.

This was very enlightening!
    I use rackpulls because of my lower back issue (still after almost 5 years)
    But also, because i am freakinglishly tall.

I am almost 2 meter, but i have actually long legs as well.

You know that anatomy that if you would fold someone in half, the upper half of the body is as long as the legs, well not for me, if that would be the thruth, and taking my legs as the first half, it would make me almost 2.3 meter

Because of this, it is pretty hard for me to go low in my squats, and my deadlifts, and my starting position for my deadlifts is actually with the plates elevated about 5-10 cm as well (i use rubber mats for it in the gym).

My old coach later told me, that it would be better for me, to do rack pulls instead of conventional deadlifts, because of my longer legs. I've never competed, and never have the intention to do so, so i do not have to do deadlifts (altough it has always been my favourite lift)
    Because i am forced to workout at home now, and because i do not have much plate weights at home, i am practicing on my conventional deadlifts now, trying to improve my beginning stance, and actually pick it up from the floor as well, but even with just 40 kg it is still a struggle sometimes
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    They caught me at the gym today again.🙈
    Not an accomplishment but....it’s something.😂

wn121iejrhdn.gif

This looks fun! Is it like a boot camp type thing?

Yes! It’s Burn Boot Camp...basically my only “fun” these days.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    They caught me at the gym today again.🙈
    Not an accomplishment but....it’s something.😂

wn121iejrhdn.gif

Yes! Love this!!! ❤️
    Plus, it IS an accomplishment because you were there, busting your butt!

Thank you! It actually is an accomplishment for me to make it through each camp without having cardiac arrest. You’d think it’d be easier after going 1 1/2 years but...it’s not. You just do things harder. (Or gain 5-10lbs and have a built in “mod up” for all moves😫)
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I hit my squats 5x5@150. I'll try to post more later, but it's being super slow atm. Sorry for the pole in the way!3s8ykb4nsnt4.gif

Speaking of kicking *kitten*! Great job
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    I haven't been lifting much these past few days... I have an issue with my hip, and my back and abdomen are acting up again. (not from lifting, but doesn't make lifting fun).

Yesterday I raked the lawn and today I out on 19k and 18 floors cleaning, prepping, and painting a bedroom.

Finished off my night with pullups. I did 2-2-2-1-2 AND loosened the band by one loop, too!

This is the last set.
    jpr2ylfyy2bn.gif

Sounds like one marathon of a workout to me.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie nice going!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Bench 5x5@100oug04fpcgseu.gif
    Deadlifts 3x5@165
    qzat9dny1uk7.gif
    OHP 5X5@65
    dybtynjy9ic8.gif

Always impressive.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    [
    Bench 5x5@100oug04fpcgseu.gif

You make this look effortless! Excellent! Your form (on all the lifts) is looking really solid!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Sounds like one marathon of a workout to me.
    A different kind of work, but still tiring for sure!
    Elcee2020 wrote: »
    Sandy, you have and are doing so well!. Sometimes your body shows signs that it needs to recover.
    Please don't be hard on yourself. We all admire you! ♡♡ * tip ones hat* I stand in awe of you. 🙂😉

Thank you. 🤗 It's been a real grind lately, and not a good one. I appreciate the encouragement and love seeing all the posts here.

I really enjoyed the topic of the rack pulls ( @dsc84, @jennacole12, @kinetixtrainer2 and @Minion_training_program). There was some really great info in there!
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of learning, I'd really like to seek some opinions from this group. I am curious at what age you would say it's okay to start lifting? I have read a good number of articles and sport medicine journals on this, but I'm guessing that some of you have had experience, and or have an opinion on this. I ask because my oldest (11yo Female) has expressed some interest in this, and quite honestly she's built like her Dad (thats me :smile: ) so I honestly think if she wanted to she would do well with lifting weights. I'm all for it and see no reason not to let her with proper supervision, low weight, and focus on movement/form right now, but I also know that there is another school of thought on this.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of learning, I'd really like to seek some opinions from this group. I am curious at what age you would say it's okay to start lifting? I have read a good number of articles and sport medicine journals on this, but I'm guessing that some of you have had experience, and or have an opinion on this. I ask because my oldest (11yo Female) has expressed some interest in this, and quite honestly she's built like her Dad (thats me :smile: ) so I honestly think if she wanted to she would do well with lifting weights. I'm all for it and see no reason not to let her with proper supervision, low weight, and focus on movement/form right now, but I also know that there is another school of thought on this.

No reason she can't start now. Absolutely no reason why she can't start now.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

My little guy is only 2 right now but it's definitely in the long-term plan for him if he's interested. Squat University likely has some good articles or resources on this topic; they do for most things.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I don't know how much of this is woo... but it seems pretty reasonable to me. TLDR... 13 is a good age to start lifting heavier and focus of form and control (high rep, low volume) as opposed to maxing out lifts which could stress growing ligaments, tendons and bones.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/weight-training-for-children-what-you-need-you-know.html
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

I haven’t read any of the other posts responses yet but I’ve always heard 13 or 14 due to possible growth plate issues if started to early. But I honestly don’t know for sure.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

I haven’t read any of the other posts responses yet but I’ve always heard 13 or 14 due to possible growth plate issues if started to early. But I honestly don’t know for sure.

My perception is that both that growth plate issue and the more existential threat of injury have largely been debunked, especially comparing the rates of concussions and ligament injuries to other more main-stream sports which are often considered safer.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if the same applies for girls but; If pre-pubescent males start lifting before they hit puberty, the muscle growth they see is ridiculous. The natural growth combined with the hypertrophy is explosive.

Science aside, if she is careful and you supervise and are careful as well, do it. It will be a great father-daughter experience. My boys and I lift and its fantastic.