GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    dsc84 wrote: »
    In the spirit of learning, I'd really like to seek some opinions from this group. I am curious at what age you would say it's okay to start lifting? I have read a good number of articles and sport medicine journals on this, but I'm guessing that some of you have had experience, and or have an opinion on this. I ask because my oldest (11yo Female) has expressed some interest in this, and quite honestly she's built like her Dad (thats me :smile: ) so I honestly think if she wanted to she would do well with lifting weights. I'm all for it and see no reason not to let her with proper supervision, low weight, and focus on movement/form right now, but I also know that there is another school of thought on this.

I haven’t read any of the other posts responses yet but I’ve always heard 13 or 14 due to possible growth plate issues if started to early. But I honestly don’t know for sure.

My perception is that both that growth plate issue and the more existential threat of injury have largely been debunked, especially comparing the rates of concussions and ligament injuries to other more main-stream sports which are often considered safer.

That’s good to know, thank you. So what age have you heard is OK to weight train? I have a 10 year old that’s chomping at the bit.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of learning, I'd really like to seek some opinions from this group. I am curious at what age you would say it's okay to start lifting? I have read a good number of articles and sport medicine journals on this, but I'm guessing that some of you have had experience, and or have an opinion on this. I ask because my oldest (11yo Female) has expressed some interest in this, and quite honestly she's built like her Dad (thats me :smile: ) so I honestly think if she wanted to she would do well with lifting weights. I'm all for it and see no reason not to let her with proper supervision, low weight, and focus on movement/form right now, but I also know that there is another school of thought on this.

I haven’t read any of the other posts responses yet but I’ve always heard 13 or 14 due to possible growth plate issues if started to early. But I honestly don’t know for sure.

My perception is that both that growth plate issue and the more existential threat of injury have largely been debunked, especially comparing the rates of concussions and ligament injuries to other more main-stream sports which are often considered safer.

That’s good to know, thank you. So what age have you heard is OK to weight train? I have a 10 year old that’s chomping at the bit.

Im absolutely shocked that you dont have this kid in the gym with you already! ;) sounds like some perfect daddy & me time.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options

Im absolutely shocked that you dont have this kid in the gym with you already! ;) sounds like some perfect daddy & me time.

My 17 year old is. I enjoy that time with him for sure. My others have been coming with me to the gym since they’ve been in car seats. They just haven’t been allowed to “lift”. It may be gym specific but I think the gym I’m at now won’t allow anyone under 13 lift. I’ll check on that tomorrow and report back 😉
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

My 17 year old is. I enjoy that time with him for sure. My others have been coming with me to the gym since they’ve been in car seats. They just haven’t been allowed to “lift”. It may be gym specific but I think the gym I’m at now won’t allow anyone under 13 lift. I’ll check on that tomorrow and report back 😉

Do tell. I didnt think about it being a gym age limit issue. People seem to bring their smaller ones to crossfit gyms all the time. Never occurred to me.

Love that your babies go to the gym with you.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    m2x57btpttx7.gif
    It’s been awhile but thought I’d share this. With that said I’m still proud of this. Having stalled out on squats recently at 335 tonight things were feeling good. I was able to do 365 for a triple for two sets tonight.

When the first set went well so I made my wife grab a quick video of my second set. I was moving slow so you only get to see one rep. Very close to parallel but I didn’t get as deep as I wanted. In the moment it felt much deeper but the camera does lie. I will be adding some box squats to get my depth better.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that weighed in on my question. I checked with my gym tonight and they have said 16 is the minimum to train their so I think I’ll invest in some dumb bells and start working with her from home to start. Will take it slow and see if she enjoys it. If she does it may be worth investing in some gym equipment or find a new gym.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    OHP 5X5@65
    dybtynjy9ic8.gif
    Deadlifts 3x5@165
    qzat9dny1uk7.gif
    Bench 5x5@100oug04fpcgseu.gif

Great job and wonderful form 👏🏻👏🏻
  • jennacole12
    Options

I think she could start now! My 14 year old has been lifting for a year and doing amazing. My 6 year old meets with my coach but does very very light dumbbell work, just to start familiarizing him with the equipment and form and more so to start making it a habit, he also begs to do it Bc of me and his brother 🤣
  • jennacole12
    Options

Do tell. I didnt think about it being a gym age limit issue. People seem to bring their smaller ones to crossfit gyms all the time. Never occurred to me.

Love that your babies go to the gym with you.

Same my gym has a 13 year rule as well.
  • jennacole12
    Options
    m2x57btpttx7.gif
    It’s been awhile but thought I’d share this. With that said I’m still proud of this. Having stalled out on squats recently at 335 tonight things were feeling good. I was able to do 365 for a triple for two sets tonight.

When the first set went well so I made my wife grab a quick video of my second set. I was moving slow so you only get to see one rep. Very close to parallel but I didn’t get as deep as I wanted. In the moment it felt much deeper but the camera does lie. I will be adding some box squats to get my depth better.

Amazing 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 This is why I record all my squats, I swear I’m always *kitten* to grass and then see I didn’t even hot depth 😤 my hip do lie 🤣 excuse me while I find myself hysterical 😂😂😂
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    Elcee2020 wrote: »
    On the whole children lifting topic, i am shocked we do not let young kids lifts, have you seen the squat of a toddler, many would be jealous of that form 😂😂😂

On a more serious note, i think age 10-13 should be a good age to start lifting for children (kinda depends on their build and growth)
    I do not have children myself, but in my gym there is a father/daughter coming (at least that is how it was last year) and his duaghter is only 11 years old
    He makes sure she works on her form first and only use a empty (light, 5kg) barbell right now, altough i remember seeing her doing a deadlift with 2x10kg plates (also on the lighter barbell)

😆 haha! Gus you are funny. Little kids arent as tall as you either. They would be looking up to you with jealousy wondering if they'll be that tall when they grow up.

lol! Well i may be tall, but over here i think i am actually considered little over average
    We dutch are pretty tall to begin with
    There is one guy in my gym, and he is buffed with arms 3 times my size, and is little over 2 meter, if i would have to guess, i'd say he is 2.05)

He can't even use the squat rack properly, because the highest bar setting is too low for him (i use it at highest setting already)

When he does pull ups as well, he needs to tuck in his feet behind him, otherwise when he hangs, he touches the ground
    I am about 2-3 cm above ground when hanging at pull up bars
    Options
    On the whole children lifting topic, i am shocked we do not let young kids lifts, have you seen the squat of a toddler, many would be jealous of that form 😂😂😂

On a more serious note, i think age 10-13 should be a good age to start lifting for children (kinda depends on their build and growth)
    I do not have children myself, but in my gym there is a father/daughter coming (at least that is how it was last year) and his duaghter is only 11 years old
    He makes sure she works on her form first and only use a empty (light, 5kg) barbell right now, altough i remember seeing her doing a deadlift with 2x10kg plates (also on the lighter barbell)

😆 haha! Gus you are funny. Little kids arent as tall as you either. They would be looking up to you with jealousy wondering if they'll be that tall when they grow up.

lol! Well i may be tall, but over here i think i am actually considered little over average
    There is one guy in my gym, and he is buffed with arms 3 times my size, and is little over 2 meter, if i would have to guess, i'd say he is 2.05)

He can't even use the squat rack properly, because the highest bar setting is too low for him (i use it at highest setting already)

When he does pull ups as well, he needs to tuck in his feet behind him, otherwise when he hangs, he touches the ground

🤣 .. my sides ache..

Yeh, I've seen some of yr vids.. lol you did and I am sure your doing awesome. Like me, i need to, Get- back- to- it. All theses 'Pros are leaving us behind!!!

Yeah definatly need to whip myself back into shape, that's why i came up with what i posted on my wall yesterday
  • jennacole12
    Options

Jealous of these tall people problems!!! Solely because if I was tall I could eat so much more food 😂🤣😂
    Options

Jealous of these tall people problems!!! Solely because if I was tall I could eat so much more food 😂🤣😂

With all the workout you do, i am convinced you can eat a lot more than i do, without gaining.
    I have my calories set on 2100 right now
  • jennacole12
    edited April 2021
    Options
    A little bit of yesterday’s light legs, still recouping from those deadlifts, so decided light weight was best. Did box squats, sumo and canon ball squats on the Smith, Leg Presses, Lunges, Leg Extensions and Lying Leg curls. Added in single legs to the Presses and extensions, thanks to @kinetixtrainer2 and when I say I’m waddling today I’m not even exaggerating. Most specifically my 🍑😅🤣

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863abc7ea82430c5448c0a4d291955378b669d2c6e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eecbe92c727d1e0ffdf404f14b4dec7a519804b9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • jennacole12
    Options

With all the workout you do, i am convinced you can eat a lot more than i do, without gaining.
    I have my calories set on 2100 right now

I’ll be honest that’s a sore spot 😂 One that my coach is always giving me *kitten* about. I eat about 1620 a day and both my strength and nutrition coaches want me at around 2200. I also, don’t need anyone chiming in here telling me that’s too low.... I’m aware, I struggle with the increase mentally but am working on it. It’s a hard adjustment when spending so long trying to lose so much weight.