WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    decent sleep. fell asleep around 11 and woke past 4am. I listened to or half listened to meditation tracks online.
    now it's 7:30. It'll start getting light in an hour or so.

I was thinking about how, all over the world, it's dark out half of the time. (seasonably in north and south, and even 12 year round days on the equator)
    Before artificial lights and fire (campfires, candles, oil lamps), people must have not being doing much about half the time, which must be the natural state.
    Going from that to being relatively active 16 hours or so a day (maybe notproductive but reading, watching, talking, etc,) is rather radical...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    We're home from our summer holiday!

Shortly after Christmas, we travelled to the northern part of the state, where it is relatively flat and the cycling is good, and stayed for 5 days. There, we got a reasonable amount of cycling in ... not the quantities we once would have, but not bad for where we are now.

We also checked the route of an event we're running toward the end of the month.

Then we travelled across to the south east and stayed close to my husband's sister, in a beach house at a beach. We were only going to spend a couple nights but we added one and so we're home today.

Summer photos ... I haven't got all the photos up yet, so I'll be adding more over the next few days.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157717283834493

n2tdz9en73w3.png

Tomorrow I return to work.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,499 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, rx, 19 mins T’ai Chi sheltered from the rain but it was cccold, livestream church, playtrained dogs
    Bonus: practiced One Margarita, started fire call log, watched STAS 19 (double link, not an issue for us).
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R & S, fire call data into state system, corrected roster to Cal-Or, minutes and letter to Howard, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Monday: call roofer, pickup library book, fire hall fill in call log.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Happier January:
    3: Do a kind act for someone to brighten their day: Called R and finally shut down laptop to really listen.

Lisa my DH and his buddy helped me pack and move from my apartment to our first house and yes, you guessed it, they moved a full garbage can. :laugh:
    SuziQ “two seasons, warm and hot” we could use a little of that here. ;)
    Penny I’ve been trying, but failing, to channel you during these long, dark days. The calendar says we’ve turned a corner, but I haven’t seen it yet. Delighted to see you back! Brighter days are coming.
    KJ Yes to “ME”. Your emotional rock bottom bruise is telling you something. Good planning!
    Welcome @lauriep715 from SC! Many here don’t to the friend thing, but post here for accountability.
    Annie are there traditions that will put your parents near your aunt while she’s communicable? You have a hard row to hoe.
    Katla hearing about you on top of the ladder pulling boxes up on the pulley makes me sickdizzy. Much as I love Christmas decorations, I don’t think I could do that.
    Julie Brava for investing 2 hrs on your thesis today AND proposing to present in 4 weeks. Bravissima!
    Allie would some kind of warmth/heating pad ease the pulled muscle and scar pain?
    Tina sending good thoughts for tomorrow’s procedure, that the healthcare workers are guided and the you end up feeling much better.
    Barbie I need your Spring quote, feeling wintry down to my bones.
    Rebecca that Athena smile pic did the trick! Had to laugh at your chief’s calendar…
    Pip ((hugs)) me too. Both the dogs in my profile pic are frolicking with Bullwinkle and Rocky.
    Ginny nonfat Greek yoghurt (Fage) is my oops-need-to-up-today’s-protein go-to. I admire your fix-it ability!
    Beth :love: your lighted church/god wink in the morning.
    Flea Thank you for your bear story. You have made me more vigilant walking the dogs down our drive. It will be summer before before I try the cistern path.
    Oh Kim! ((hugs)) for you. And your mom. Praying someone can convince her she’s not a bad person and does not deserve to bear this. That God would approve of her setting boundaries. Hope she was kind to you during her 4 day respite. ((hugs))
    Machka what a great summer holiday.
    Viv black ice is why I moved from Idaho to the Oregon Coast. 3 broken wrists in 20 years were enough.

My tree doesn’t usually get fininshed ‘til Christmas Eve so stays up at least til Epiphany. Maybe longer this year. Love the lights even though they're LED. Really miss the twinkle brights but they get too HOT to put on a tree.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 3/0, steps>5592=5672 vits=3 log=3 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble 5=2 Shadow 5=2 mfp=3 outside=2 up hill=0
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx= dance=3 clean 60 mins=.5 packwalk=
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=1 play=2 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😃💛😊
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies.

A quick check in this morning before I start my routine. Work will be extremely busy this week so I may be MIA this week.

I am tracking all foods and am feeling better for it. I think the year just got to me and I comforted myself with food. I need to shift this life-long habit. I will be working on a strategy. I think someone on the board has a question list about food: Am I hungry, Am I bored, etc. If you can dig it up can you please repost? It needs to go up in my kitchen. 😊

Ginny – Not sure if you are looking for plant- or animal-based protein. My go to, if work is busy, is to pick up a rotisserie chicken. There are so many things one can make out of one. Traditional chicken dinner, stir fry, chicken salad, chicken soup, chicken tossed on a salad, chicken sandwich, etc.

Doomscrolling – I am not surprised there is a word for this. Years ago I stopped watching most newscasts and started reading the news. Like many (Lisa) it gives me the flexibility to scroll, read a little, and then move on. Some days I just check the weather.

Beth – Like you my body feels much better after only three days. I am going to start listening to it again.

Tracey – Oh, the pictures of the little princess. How sweet!!

Kim – It sounds like you were able to celebrate the holidays just the way you wanted. Oh, I love fondue. I am glad your holiday work season was successful although stressful. Your mom is one heck of a woman – still driving!! Happy to hear her procedure from last year did not set her back. The love/guilt situation is one I know well from my mom’s and brother’s relationship. In my mom’s situation it was guilt that my brother did not have a father. Many mother’s see their daughters as woman, yet their sons as little boys. It did not help my brother was the baby of the family.

Machka – I am so glad you got some travel in. It’s good for the soul even if it is only local. I have been known to pack a bag, drive 6 miles east and stay in a hotel and play tourist.

Viv – So sorry about your fall. Darn ice!! Not sure if you have Netflix, but I watched The Minimalists yesterday because Rebecca mentioned it. It is a good motivator for downsizing, decluttering, etc.

Penny – Your kitchen looks so inviting and relaxing. I am considering creating a fairy light wall in my bedroom as I am having a hard time taking down the Christmas lights this year.

It’s off to the races for me. Morning chores and getting ready for work, and my long commute to the guest room beckon.

Hugs to all and prayers for the world.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,409 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Ah, Penny - so glad you're back...

Julie and Penny- Funny, I struggle in the summer, not because there's not enough light, but because it brings so much heat with it that I have to keep the lights in the house low in order not to run the electric bill up with the air conditioner. It would help if I were to put up light-blocking curtains, but I have no curtains at all in my house, just a few sheers in the living room.

KJ - I like your word for the year!

Viv - Take care of yourself... the more you move, the better you'll feel.

I absolutely adore my husband - and yet, I could not BE more glad that he's going back to work today with no long weekends in the near future. I haven't accomplished anything in the last few weeks while he was taking long weekends to finish up his vacation days... Not that I have to accomplish things necessarily. Just looking forward to being just me again. And Egg... who is unimpressed with all the cold weather outside and is sleeping on my drafting table at the moment.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    I didn’t put up Christmas decorations this year because I cancelled Christmas. I put up winter lights and my favourites are still up on the mantlepiece. I don't see any reason to take them down as I am still enjoying them so much. When the days lengthen they reach a point when they just look silly so I shall take them down then. :D

I enjoy keeping up with the news. It is important to inform ourselves about what is going on locally, nationally and worldwide, in order to be effective citizens. I definitely do not go down the rabbit holes of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter etc. I obtain news from reputable sources like the BBC or The Guardian where things are fact checked. The truth will set you free. I have an enormous appetite for knowledge of all all kinds, medical, historical, political, scientific, psychological, and read a lot of non fiction books on these subjects.
    One thing that helps me keep a sense of perspective is my intellectual curiosity. The universe is much bigger and far more fascinating than my own little tiny corner. Contemplating the night sky or the marvel of life gets everything into perspective. Pursuing knowledge for its own sake takes you out of yourself. Plus knowing what you can change and what you can't. I like to think I am a citizen of the world and what I think matters. It probably doesn't very much, but I have a vote and a voice if I want to use it. I see myself as an agent, not a victim. Being well informed from the best sources is part of that agency.
    The other thing that comforts me, strangely, is that we are all on this planet for a very short time. We are all going to die. So why not enjoy the time we have? Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Much love to all. I'm not a believer in any gods, but the Serenity Prayer is a good one. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    After much thought I decided I would order a puzzle board since I have been enjoying putting them together (the second one is almost done – more on that later). I have been using the kitchen counter which makes for cooking challenges. The puzzle board will make it much easier to move around the house – heck I could puzzle while watching TV in bed! LOL. It isn’t something I would spend my own money on since it’s a little expensive, but felt it was OK to buy with gift money. 😊

That puzzle board is interesting and is something I might look at too. We bought a puzzle while we were on holiday! It's a 1000 piece puzzle ... a man runs a gallery in one of the towns we visited. He's a photographer and sells everything from big framed works to fridge magnets. And he makes puzzles of some of his photographs. We chose one I liked of the east coast of Tasmania with a storm approaching over the ocean.

It's the first puzzle I've purchased ... I'm thinking ... ever. I know my parents had a puzzle or two we did as kids. Oh wait, there was a puzzle I did back in the mid-90s. But somehow I don't think I purchased it. Seems to me someone loaned it to me. I also remembered I've got 2 puzzles which were given to me as gifts a decade or more ago, but I haven't even taken them out of the plastic wrapping.

However, this year, because I'm not up to my eyeballs in studying, I thought maybe I might do a puzzle over a few weeks in winter. :)

SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka – Just reading your goals makes me tired! Although, when I think about it I have separate lists spread about and if I were to pull them together I would probably have a book too. I limit my self to the calendar (reminders and such about doctor’s appointments, birthdays, etc.), a goal spreadsheet, and a work to-do list. I will also write a home to-do list when things start piling up.

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

My calendar contains all the appointments, reminders etc. and usually one entry with the top 10 things on my To Do list.

I use OneNote for my work To-Do list and I've got that divided into High Priority, Medium Priority, and Low Priority. I will be looking at that list this week when I go back to work because I have the feeling I may be changing it a bit.

And I've got the rather long home To-Do list. I haven't created a comprehensive home To-Do list since about 2014 because my focus has been elsewhere but now I really need and want to focus on my home. I know the list is long, but it's not something I plan to finish this month or next month ... I hope to make a sizeable dent in the list this year but expect that unless I'm highly motivated, there will be things I'm working on next year too.

What it does is give me guidance for those times when I'm sitting there feeling like I should be doing something ... but what? Or when I'm feeling overwhelmed by too much to do. I just pick something that is manageable in the time I've got just then ... or something I'm inspired to do ... or something that's near the top of the list.

About half an hour after we got home this afternoon, my husband decided he needed to take a nap. Then Rhody, who had raced around the house looking so very happy to be home, curled up in his favourite spot and went to sleep. And ... my sofa called me over and lulled me to sleep for 1.5 hours!! Evidently all three of us needed an afternoon nap!

This is going to be a busy week ... going back to work (fortunately only a 4-day week because I took today, Monday, off), finishing the route for a cycling event that will be held at the end of the month and opening the registration, breast exam, dinner with friends on Friday, etc. I'm already looking forward to the weekend!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Happy new year! Caught up with this year's reading. I am alive.....just.. more later. Need to get some things done before shop opens!

Kylia
    Ohio

Welcome back!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Thanks to all who have so warmly welcomed this lost sheep back into the fold. :)

Over the past year I've occasionally dipped into the thread to see how covid was affecting the lives of people in other parts of the world. My own anxiety/low-grade depression notwithstanding, I consider my community blessed in terms of health. We still haven't had a single case. Not one.

Welcome back!

We've had very few cases here too. No locally transmitted cases in about 5 months, although that could change soon. We did have 4 cases in December but they came in on a flight and were whisked off to the hospital.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Triple hug Kim.

Penny and Kylia welcome back.

It is now getting dark about 5 rather than 4:30 here. I too keep lights going. Because our tree is not a live one I will keep it up til mid January. I have cool white in the middle and they shine like stars and mutli on the outside. I tried to take a picture but the white ones are so bright it doesn't photograph well. It brightens my day when I past it.

I am putting the small decorations away. I did take some to son's house too since I spend the afternoons there. I did bag up his tree and put it away. I have a small lighted angel that I left out and I have a small evergreen in the front I put lights on that I will leave til end on January. Many here leave their lights on well past Christmas.

:heart: Margaret
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Heather - I picked up this article this weekend regarding our own ephemeral natures, and it was utterly reassuring.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,937 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We're home from our summer holiday!

Shortly after Christmas, we travelled to the northern part of the state, where it is relatively flat and the cycling is good, and stayed for 5 days. There, we got a reasonable amount of cycling in ... not the quantities we once would have, but not bad for where we are now.

We also checked the route of an event we're running toward the end of the month.

Then we travelled across to the south east and stayed close to my husband's sister, in a beach house at a beach. We were only going to spend a couple nights but we added one and so we're home today.

Summer photos ... I haven't got all the photos up yet, so I'll be adding more over the next few days.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157717283834493

n2tdz9en73w3.png

Tomorrow I return to work.

Machka in Oz

sounds perfect!
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    5'3 & Age 54 and my weight is 154.. this matchy matchy is not a good trend. Down to 153 today but I am NOT getting any younger. Home with behavioral autistic teen for the time being. Trying to lose the weight that is making my asthma kick in. 2 years ago I was down to 138 so I know its possible. For now, doing a simple salad at lunch and getting in 10000 steps every day for starters & no snacking. Be well
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    oh, god I just lost a long detailed mail! with lots of personal answers! arg!

oh well! I agree with some !
    SUZI probably not what you were looking for but one bit of advice is never let yourself get too
    Hungry
    Angry
    Lonely
    Tired
    or one is wont to lose one's path.

I like chicken too, also soy milk, soy yogurt, and canned mackerel, sardines, anchovies for quick protein...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I spent a slow 30 on the recumbent;
    feeling stressed today.
    evening online class today.
    First class in nearly 3 weeks.