WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :)Jude, I have been participating in this thread for a long time. Before I found these wonderful women I had never participated in any online forum. Now I feel like they are all close friends. I have a fabulous husband but he doesn't have the patience to listen to everything I want to say, and the things he want to talk about don't always interest me, but here I find great companionship. I found MFP at age 62 after a lifetime of trying to keep my weight in check. I thought I would never succeed in losing weight, but the tools of MFP, plus the encouragement of this group, resulted in my losing weight and keeping it off.

:) Regarding fish--in spite of a lifetime of living near the coast, I don't eat fish at all.

:) Regarding puzzles---I admire the skill of those of you who do them, but I don't have the right kind of patience for them.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🟠🟨💚🔵🟪
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    Katla - take care!
    Pip - Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Just took my second dose of tylenol, oh gosh it hurts and no heating pad...im going to just lay low.. not eating much either. Heaven knows i need to lose a few lbs...
    Sorry for being a bummer. Ill be quiet..

I'm so sorry you are feeling pain. You are free to talk about that here. If everything has to be only rosy it's not very realistic. (and a bit like fake images on social media like facebook or instagram).

What about a hot water bottle? If you don't have one you can fill a bottle or jar with hot water and wrap it with a towel. I read you can microwave a wet dishtowel and then put in ziplock bag, and put in towel, as another optio. This won't last all night, but will give some time of warmth..

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Back at work again! Work is all right ... I'm sorting through emails and trying to figure out where I left off. :)
    I also love sleeping in my own bed again!

When we could travel ... in North America, in mid-range hotels like perhaps Best Western etc., the beds are glorious! You want to go to bed at 8 pm and not move for the next 12 hours. In Europe, in the hotels and B&Bs where we stayed while we travelled there for many months, the beds are nice - quite comfortable.

The North American and European beds inspired me to find a mattress/bed as good or just about as good and that's what I've got at home now.
    M in Oz

I had a futon for years. It was trendy, cheap and then considered healthy for back. I recall one hotel, we stayed in a very fancy very cut rate hotel in Phoenix in August (no one goes to Phoenix in August for it's 110° weather, to see my sister there who lived in a studio apartment.
    The bed was amazing. They even had info on how to buy one if you loved it. Now I have a good bed and it's a treat to lie down. I used to have back pain sleeping with the too-firm futon.It was really ok/good when I was in 20s and throughout my 30s. Now I just want to stay in bed more, though...it's really comfy!

@Ginny, I like mackerel very much when eating fresh. For the 2 others, I never get them fresh, but can eat them. Having them available in cans makes it easy to have them handy. Smaller fatty fish (as opposed to tuna...) is said to have less mercury (lower down in the food chain, so less accumulation of heavy metals I guess.) So it's partly a health thing. I don't eat a ton of red meat and poultry, so it's a change up from lots of bean based protein.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    ...I tripped on a curb, fell, and broke one of my glasses lenses. I also damaged my left wrist, but I'm sure it isn't broken.I'll see my medical doctor first thing in the morning to make sure things are okay—and then I have to see whether I can get the broken lens in my glasses replaced. I'll call the eye doctor on that issue before I decide to go all the way into Portland to see her. It will require an appointment, and I don't know how long it will be before I can see her. :

Katla-I'm so sorry. I hope your wrist heels quickly and without problem.

Here, for broken glasses one would see an optician (person who sells glasses), not the eye doctor. I would only see the eye doctor if I need to change prescription or for yearly or bi-yearly checkup for illness. Some of the eyeglass chains have 2 year guarantee regardless of cause of breakage. One chain is very fast for non-progressive glasses. Others, and for progressives it takes a week or so. Would the eye doctor be the one to take care of lens replacement there?

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: playtrained dogs, finished Active 911 into call log spreadsheet, minutes and letter to VP, firehall showed VP and HS new NFIRS forms.
    Bonus: Shadow to powerline (Tumble wouldn’t come)
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, fire call data into state system, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Tuesday: call roofer, pickup library book
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Happier January:
    4: write a list of things you’re grateful for in life and why: Joe: protective instincts, love gifts of service, efforts to be more pleasant/agreeable. Dogs: make me laugh, let me hug them when I’m down, motivate me to move and play. The dear gals on this group for models of wisdom, creativity and compassion, for their humor, for being friends.

Sleepy so skimmin’

Penny :love: the Advent star and is that a clove studded orange on the table? Haven’t made one of those in years but just so happen to have the cloves and a few extra clementines… ;)
    Kylia so good to see you popping in! You, too, have been missed.
    Welcome @ClarityPeace, @ahclay, @Sherryann_406, @judefit1 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Allie you re not being a bummer, I only hope that shared pain is halved pain. Until your DD returns your heating pad, could you microwave a hand towel for a few seconds to use as a warming pad? If you have a drier, you could warm a larger towel in it too. If none of those, I’ve been warming my neck wrap in a 200 degree oven in a glass baking dish until just warm enough.
    Sorry Rebecca “this content isn’t available right now…owner only shared with a small group of people or…” Could you upload it to YouTube and share with anyone who has the link (not with public).
    Katla oww! When I fell hard enough to break a lens, I also cracked the orbital bone around that eye. Hope your Dr. can see you on an emergency basis tomorrow.

Fish: only my own tuna salad, made from canned solid white albacore, either TJ’s or Bumble Bee gold label.

Debating on whether to have a hot cocoa or just stagger straight to bed. Bed’s winning.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 4, weigh/wii: 4/14, steps>5592=5688 vits=4 log=4 CI<CO=4 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble 5=3 Shadow 5=4 mfp=4 outside=3 up hill=1
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx= dance=3 clean 60 mins=.5 packwalk=
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=2 play=3 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    It was a good day, right until I took one extra item out to put in the recycle bin before tomorrows garbage pick up. On my way back, I tripped on a curb, fell, and broke one of my glasses lenses. I also damaged my left wrist, but I'm sure it isn't broken. I'll see my medical doctor first thing in the morning to make sure things are okay—and then I have to see whether I can get the broken lens in my glasses replaced. I'll call the eye doctor on that issue before I decide to go all the way into Portland to see her. It will require an appointment, and I don't know how long it will be before I can see her. One step at a time!

Katla-who needs to watch where she is going. :embarassed:

Sorry to hear that!
    Here, for broken glasses one would see an optician (person who sells glasses), not the eye doctor. I would only see the eye doctor if I need to change prescription or for yearly or bi-yearly checkup for illness. Some of the eyeglass chains have 2 year guarantee regardless of cause of breakage. One chain is very fast for non-progressive glasses. Others, and for progressives it takes a week or so. Would the eye doctor be the one to take care of lens replacement there?

Yes, here too. If I broke my glasses, I'd go to the shop where I get my glasses and I'd ask if they could fix them.

Unless you did hurt your eye/face ...

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    Options
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Greetings from chilly Florida.

I awakened yesterday thinking the weather peeps were correct with their predictions. Ok, I must admit the last time I checked the weather was last Thursday. I got up, showered, and threw on a pair of shorts. Much to my amazement when I went outside I was chilled! It was 50 degrees!!

Kylia – Welcome back and happy New Year. Hope all is well and you’re managing as best as you can.

ClarityPeace – Welcome. You’ll find you have much in common with some others of the group.

Bananas – That’s it (the list). 😊

Pip – 3210! Wow!

Heather – Love the picture of the grands at the park – lovely.

Sherryann – Welcome. You will find there are a few WW within this group. I was a member pre-Oprah and was very successful. I used all of the tools I used there but instead of points am now logging calories.

Judefit1 – Welcome to a fine group. Post when you are comfortable.

Sue – I imagined your puppy enjoying splashing around. It brought a smile to my face.

Pip – Big hug to you.

Barbie – I did not think I would have the patience to do puzzles. I am surprised to find I am enjoying them even though I did get frustrated with the last one because many of the pieces are very dark. I am also finding that much like gardening and washing my car the puzzles allow my mind to be free from thoughts running through my head. I will see if I still enjoy the process once life is a little more normal.

Katla – OH, NO! So sorry to hear about your fall. If it’s just a replacement to the lens the doctor may be able to order it and set your appointment when it’s received.

Tracking and Activity – I am still doing well on both fronts (yes, it’s only the 5th). My body is enjoying the healthier food options and it is reinforcing why I decided to get back to a healthier lifestyle back in August 2019. I am officially at my 501-day mark on MFP. As a former WW I had learned once I stop tracking, even if it was sloppy, the weight started creeping back up. In October 2020 I stopped tracking and found the same result. So, it’s back to tracking my intake before things get too out of hand. I am not sure why I keep trying the same experiment but am glad I reined myself in before I regained all of the weight I lost.

I just gazed at the clock and see it’s time for me to fly. We are still awaiting the “official” close notification from finance so are cleaning up, planning for next year, and getting ready to start churning numbers. It will be good to close out 2019 at work too!

Hugs and prayers to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Katla so sorry to hear about your fall. Glad to hear you will get checked out. Bummer about the glasses.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Feeling anxious today. Not sure why.

Gave 2 online classes at 9 and 11 after 2 week break. Classes went well. In both classes we had time for debate since we've come close to covering most of the main stuff, which was good and lively in both cases. In 2nd class students chose subject "the future" in the sense of "no future" for discussion. Many don't believe in the future. (environment, economy, etc.) It seemed sad. I reminded them of the cyclical nature of things: Some, but not all, were aware of the "No Future" (punk) movement in the 70s or so. (See Sex Pistol's "God Save the Queen" (some punks wore "no future" pins, not believing in any possible positive future). I said when I was young we worried about overpopulation (that was a curriculum subject in 4th grade, when the world population was about 4 billion), and...the Cold War. And I also told them of the mention of the "Lost Generation" term not used in France, and evoked the cyclical nature of such concerns. I had said it's normal for young people to question their future, and maybe even more so young people studying the humanities (rather than "hard sciences" or for practical jobs) and even more so this crazy year. I told them about my grandpa's 1st wife who died during the Spanish Flu, and so my grandpa married my grandma, and, like for many world crises (like WWII) many people were born due to the way things were shaken up, and life develops that way.ne "

We were coming to end of class. Another discussion had been "places to go for a nice walk in the city", so we ended with that, to not be too dark as a way of ending.

I don't know if the subject is the reason I feel anxious. it might be. I could feel anxiety arising as they spoke about it. I stayed calm and reassuring in appearance, voice, subject, and I like the students very much- some of them are very long term students -'ve had for 3-4 years, but aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I feel like hiding away for a day.
    I was already craving starch all day yesterday.
    Today I had a dense bready thing just after class, and it makes it hard to stay under calories.
    I decided to give up. I started to just have chard after, but It was SOOO boring so I added a red pepper spread and some rich tofu to make it balanced. Over calories today but really ok for net for the week. I have averaged about 110 net calories under goal in previous 10 days. I'll see if I can make some of it back on bike later today or not.

It's very gray and humid out today.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,361 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all. We have managed an outdoor walk most Ayala since New Year’s. Today the sun actually felt warm on my face.

Janetr: One of my friends had shard that too. You look so happy in your later photo. Maintenance IS hard. I’m 5’2” and have been < 150 for nearly a year now.

Lisa: Aw! Calvin and Hobbes. I have several books of those cartoons. Grandkids loved them too.

Tracey: The cots and bedding look adorable. DH used to make toys for our girls and later for the grands. We still have many of them here.

Resolutions: I don’t make resolutions as such. However, I do review my aims and objectives several times a year January being one of them.

Spent yesterday taking Christmas down and packing it away in the attic. Today I’m sorting my sewing station out.

I’m up to page 6. Hoping to get fully caught up today.

☘️ Terri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    <3