WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I ventured out into Lockdown Britain as we needed milk. Everything much the same. I hadn’t actually been out of the house since Friday! :o
    It was very nice to say hello to the shopkeepers. The butchers are always very friendly. Last lockdown they closed and did delivery only, but they intend to stay open this time. I bought pigs' cheeks, lamb neck fillets and beef mince. Found lots of fresh veg at the deli, and milk in a small shop. All shops had only me in there, all masked, sanitiser.

DH is happy doing a jigsaw I bought him for Christmas. The Periodic Table. 500 pieces. He's finding it very relaxing. It should help us with our quizzes on TV. It often comes up as a question. I previously bought him flags and capital cities. :D
    One thing that often comes up is capital cities of US states. They are rarely the ones we think of. Some of them I've never heard of! Must revise those.

Katla - that is extremely annoying. So glad you weren't hurt really badly. I tripped down a kerb a few years ago. Took a few months to completely recover.

Salmon tonight. With a mix of leeks and fennel in creme fraiche. One of our favourites. We eat loads of fish, of all kinds. I try to eat meat no more than three times a week. I also like to have one vegetarian day.

Have any of you seen the latest research into the dangers of wood stoves? Might be worth Googling it. I know some of you have them.

Love to all, from the UK ,
    Heather xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    struggling with starchy cravings for 2 days!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Hi all,

Have any of you seen the latest research into the dangers of wood stoves? Might be worth Googling it. I know some of you have them.

Love to all, from the UK ,
    Heather xxxxxxxx

@cityjaneLondon wow! that once seemed like the healthiest most natural ecological option; cut one's own wood and burn it for local sustainability. there is truly no perfect solution! my sister and several friends have been heating their homes only or mainly with wood burning stoves for years. Fireplaces must be worse. At a friend's last summer, he made a fire most or all evenings, in the living room I slept in. I opened the window wide as soon as I was on my own each evening. Glad I did.

• bananasandoranges
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon Thank you! I googled it just after reading your post, before you posted the article and found precisely that article! I trust the guardian.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,477 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Gloomy drippy day here. My labradoodle discovered her heritage today. She is 1/2 labrador retriever and 1/2 standard poodle, both water dogs. Usually she sidesteps puddles but today we were walking in the riding arena and she decided it was great fun to gallop back and forth in the puddles along the edge. She came in with wet and muddy paws and belly from all the splashing.

I am leaving Christmas up until Epiphany. I like having the lights on when it gets dark so early.

Kim - Hugs to you.

Viv - Sending healing angels.

Allie - Have patience. As I recall DH was sore for a long time after bypass surgery. Remember they have split your breastbone and wired it back together. It takes a while for that to heal fully.

Rebecca - I have some calendars for you if you still want some. Mine all have critters on them, horses, donkeys, goats, dogs and cats. Let me know.

Welcome to those who are new, keep coming back.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

I will private message you my address!💖🙃😂😁
    Thank you in advance!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Dang it on the video. It was Athena talking, but it must be because daughter in law has her settings set to friends only.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I had gone quite a bit over my net today. Did 1h on the stationary at a good pace and burned 410 calories (had HR monitor on finger much of time, so could get fairly precise calorie burn calculation I think (w/ weight-hr-time). Still about 250 over today's net but about 110 under on average past 10 days so hopefully ok...time will tell.

probably very good side effect to have gotten good WO.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon Thank you! I googled it just after reading your post, before you posted the article and found precisely that article! I trust the guardian.

I avoid fire because it triggers my asthma faster than anything. But I do love the smell of fireplaces burning.

My procedure went well yesterday, though I still don't have confidence it will repair me. I guess I'll know in a couple of months. The mister is having knee issues and there is COVID, so we can't really plan much anyway right now. I may as well wait and see for a bit.

I can't do much in the way of exercise for a week or so. Just walking, so that's what I'll do. I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for a while either, so may not be able to take my ailing bike into the shop on Thursday.

Katla - Sorry about your trip! Feel better soon and I hope you get those glasses fixed soon. I bet you can get your prescription and get them fixed anywhere without having to make the trek to the city.

Tina in CA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,058 Member
    Options
    Kayla sorry about your fall!

Tina glad your procedure went well. Take it easy and recover!

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 20min 58sec, 3.65ap. Would have been 3.71 had I not gone to a store which slowed me down, 143elev, 90ahr, 121mhr, 8.65mi= 853c
    Strava app = 1048c

Total cal 853
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Katla- sorry to hear about your fall, that sucks <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    No internet for a couple of hours! X-finity has not been very reliable lately.

Anyway, Katla, sorry about your fall and, Rebecca, sorry the video of Athena talking didn't play.

Tina, hoping your procedure proves to work and you feel a lot better.

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Katla, oh no, sorry you tripped! I hate falling, it rattles my skeleton!

Put stuff on my kitchen table, took pics and put it up on my for sale sites on Facebook (for free). In 5 minutes a lady said she'd take it all!
    Minimalism is one step closer!
    💖🙃😁 Rebecca
    Whidbey Island
    Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    <3Katla, so sorry about your fall
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    My dad is worried about my mom's loss of memory, and whether it is time to move to assisted care. I said they aren't really having problems, other than the grocery shopping. And I'm not sure what assisted care would do that I can't do. They are so reluctant to turn things over to me. I know this phase of the three of us won't go on forever, but I'm not ready for them to move out. I keep telling them to get a doctor's geriatric memory assessment. And learn some memory tricks from the experts. So I'm all stressed out again today.

Aside from labelling things and posting reminder signs and calendars, I'm not sure there are many memory tricks.

M in Oz