WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It was cold today (26F), but absolutely glittering and gorgeous with all the snow on the ground. I can always deal with the cold as long as I get sunshine to go with it. Okay, I am a day behind, but for the abc challenge today:

B=Bumble Walking...one hour of walking Bumble outside earned 2.8 miles and 249 calories on pacer ap
    Bike Ride...I actually plugged in the stationary bike and rode for 20 minutes earning 102 calories

Tomorrow I get to go the barn with my daughter always a highlight for me. Unfortunately, I also have to go grocery shopping. We are expecting rain, freezing rain, snow tomorrow as we sit right on the border of the rain vs snow storm expected. We are also expecting some of the coldest weather we have had for two years over the next several days. So, I have a feeling I am going to need to be creative to come up with other alphabet letters.

Bumble was so funny on his walk, he just loves racing through the snow. He carries his tennis ball all along the trail making eveyone he meets laugh. Just love this doggo.

dee

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,165 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: There are adults who would put us on their calendar but this task is not too difficult and we have done it many times over the years. I want to put things away so that the most important things are easy for me to find next Christmas season. There are no available teenagers in this neighborhood. We will be able to get it done.

At some point, however, it is not a bad idea to start outsourcing. We can clean the house and mow the lawn, but we get someone else to do it from time to time.

If you want it done quickly, sometimes the best way is to get someone outside the immediate family to do it. :)

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,361 Member
    Options

Page 3

February Alphabet Challenge:

1. A - Aerobic Dance video: 2. B - I had to exercise in my bedroom today as it was bucketing with rain.
    3. C - I did some chair yoga today.
    4. D -
    5. E -
    6. F -
    7. G -

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,805 Member
    Options
    Up to Page 5 on the new thread and it’s not even midnight on the first here. Thanks again Barbie for another new month.
    I’ve been noticing the longer daylight hours too. I noticed some blue to the west even at 6 this evening.

Ginny - it just be nice to have the upstairs doors painted.

Kylia - what a beautiful photo of you and your granddaughter. I don’t like driving in snow either, glad you made it home safe. I’ve read those books they did suck you right in.

Machka - I like the outdoor scents too. I miss nature.
    4 weeks of quarantine, I would bring lots of craft projects, puzzles and books. My mom’s and Grandmothers diaries so I could really read them and do the project I want to with them. Of course my phone.
    I think Canada now has the hotel quarantine happening. I’m not sure if it’s from all other countries or only some.

Julie - I think Rodger and I are snippy with one another right now due to the fact that neither of us feel 100%, his stomach and my hips. We tend to do better when we spend more time together though and we need to remember that. I also feel some depression kicking in, so am calling my doctor tomorrow. We are also having a debriefing tomorrow at work since we are officially off Outbreak right now.

I didn’t know about the silk for keeping the cold at bay. I am allergic to wool so that might be an idea to try.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old except for a time in my late teens, early 20’s when I thought I was too cool for them. What a mistake that was! I have been wearing Progressives now since 2010 and each pair is noticeably stronger than the last.

Dee - the have had friends have your complaints about Progressives. One friend advised that I make sure that when the do the measuring to put the frames where they normally sit on your nose, not pushed up all the way. I didn’t have a problem with any of mine doing this.

Katla - isn’t it wonderful that we have this technology. How my parents would have loved seeing the girls and talking to them on a computer or phone. We truly are blessed.

Dee - I love the ingenuity of getting your A filled.

I would love to participate in this but I am strictly forbidden to do any exercises yet. This Saturday if all goes well I will be doing my first standing physio session. She told me today that I am still inflamed and swollen although she does see improvement.

Heather - I love how you and Johnny celebrate everything.
    I read about Captain Tom yesterday, I remember reading his story about walking to raise money a few months ago. We been more like him in the world.

Rebecca - what a beautiful picture of my favourite jam and berry.
    What a lovely photo of you on the pier.

Annie - the rule at work was that we were considered recovered from 10 days after the date the test was taken that was positive. Although it’s not wise, it probably would be safer than before Covid went through.
    It would be the anyone that hasn’t had it I would worry about.

Vicki - it’s nice to see you post.

Machka - I am such an incredibly fussy eater I won’t try new things.

Lisa - what are the Jean hotpads used for? Like a trivet or something to warm in the microwave for pain?

Kelly - I don’t walk in the dark either. I am more concerned about tripping on something and in Winter the ice because sidewalks are never cleared properly. Unfortunately it leaves me very little time to walk outside in the Winter because from October to Now, it is dark when I go to work and dark when I come home.

Kylia - Happy Birthday. 🎂🍷🎂Today is my eldest daughter’s birthday she is 32, her sister will be 30 on Friday.

Pip - love the picture of you and Kirby.

Katla - I hope you get Christmas put away soon.

We hired out snow shovelling last February. We found a guy that does our driveway and walkway, including traction control for 15.00. We have only needed him twice since October, as we have had very few snowfalls.

Well I started to catch up when we were on page 3 and we’re now on 11 and it’s only the 3rd.

We had a debrief at work yesterday it helped some. Our facility has done very well in supporting our mental health through this. There is now a fully funded therapist sessions available to us and yesterday was the first debrief of 8.

Next week we are going to celebrate Valentines Day by decorating, putting flowers throughout the facility and on dining tables. A draw for a spa day, and pizza for lunch. We have not been able to do anything like that since before Christmas.

My hip is still painful, but more like a nagging headache type pain that is just going away rather then the migraine type of less than 2 weeks ago. It’s not 100% but it’s getting better, I would say about 75%.

I had a trip down memory lane last night. Kaitlyn (my youngest) and her best friend try to do sentimental things for one another for the big events. Since this is Kaitlyn’s 30th her friend sent out a group message asking for anyone to please share their favourite memories of Kaitlyn. I shared it to family in NB who knew Kaitlyn before we moved here but not as much since. It was very touching to read that the little girl was spoken of very much like the teen and adult Girl out here. It was all about her big heart, kind soul, big smile and generosity with just a tinge of mischief thrown in so she’s not boring. I teared up several times.

I have the Greatest Super Bowl commercials 2021 edition on. We don’t get most of those nice one time commercials here, so I love watching these shows. Those Budweiser Clydesdales are my absolute favourite.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Michele: Last week you were talking about Mint ice cream. I am DEFINITELY a chocolate ice cream-AHOLIC! But it has to be CHOCOLATE! Lately I've been splurging on Rebel's Triple Chocolate which is keto and only 5g net carbs (or something like that). You buy it by the pint, so I never have more than a pint in the freezer! AND I only allow myself to eat it on the weekends when I have exercised a lot more!

Rebecca: I LOVED the pictures! You're very beautiful my dear! I loved the dress (and the SHOES!) and your smile looks TERRIFIC!

Lisa: your jeans hot pads are cute! What a great idea!

Kylia: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Pip: The virtual map of your "ride" this morning - it looks like you were riding out into the water!! Fun!! :smiley:

Today I stopped in at a Fitness Center (it's on my way home from work) and got a membership. It's mostly Seniors because it's part of a senior center (in Reynoldsburg). I like that they have a small weight room, and yoga classes and aqua aerobics! It'll give me something different to do as I'm getting bored with my treadmill! Lol.

My yogurt turned out great and I've really been enjoying it this week. Tomorrow I'm going to make my own granola to put in it as well! Yum!

❤️ Teresa in OH

U r actually riding through a tunnel while going through the water parts
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,534 Member
    Options
    Teresa in OH, you are too kind. 💖 I have embraced my obese gal, I mean what else am I gonna do with her!!!???😁😋 We used to attend nudist resorts,(in CA), because there I could just BE, and make sense. It was great. So now, up in the cold clutches of Whidbey Island WA, I have put nudist Rebecca away, which sucks. Every so often I do remember.👍
    Rebecca
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    2559661yoxeq9fisc.gif
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    I found my Mothers and my Grandmothers diary entries for the day of Kaitlyns birth. I stumbled upon the year my Dad died in my Mom’s. She wrote who visited him everyday
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Tracey - You could definitely use them for trivets on the counter, but the jeans hot pads are just potholders. Slip your hands in the pockets, and they basically become oven mitts. Just a way to recycle jeans into something useful. My husband told me I could have some of his work jeans when he was done with them, and I had to tell him his butt was too small. To make a reasonably sized one, you need one for a fairly large person.
    :smiley:

Total, they cost me about $2 and a half hour to make, and they're selling them for $25 on Etsy. The ones I made before lasted us about five years.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise.

Kate UK – what is “purge testing”?

A good friend from church passed away and his memorial was yesterday. Normally, I would have gone. But I had no desire to tempt things what with the second vaccination a week away. If I were to get COVID, I know they wouldn’t give me the second vaccination. To me, that just isn’t worth it.

Lisa – I just gave two of my masks to the gal who made them. I think the elastic is stretched out. I asked her if she could just exchange that for the type she has now, adjustable. She said she could. Well, when I get them back, I’ll give her a donation for the soup kitchen

We put away most of the Christmas decorations yesterday, not sure when we’ll get to the rest. Started getting packed for FL – I know that it’s a ways off.

Rebecca – you don’t have strange meals – I do. My BREAKFAST yesterday consisted of chili, edamame, riced cauliflower and cottage cheese. Now THAT’S strange.

Margaret – next Tuesday in Ames, IA the high will be 4 and the low will be -13. NC looks pretty good about right now

Kyla – Happy Birthday

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the birthday wishes. It was a good day in spite of work. Tired. Missed all goals but hot tub- oh well. Tomorrow is a new day!
    Comments tomorrow.
    <3
    Kylia feeling blessed and loved in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    A lunchtime stroll around downtown ... checking out the shops.

(Not my photo)
    nox121z32pae.png

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Lisa - that’s a great idea. I may look into making some of them.

Travey
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Heather: There are adults who would put us on their calendar but this task is not too difficult and we have done it many times over the years. I want to put things away so that the most important things are easy for me to find next Christmas season. There are no available teenagers in this neighborhood. We will be able to get it done.

At some point, however, it is not a bad idea to start outsourcing. We can clean the house and mow the lawn, but we get someone else to do it from time to time.

If you want it done quickly, sometimes the best way is to get someone outside the immediate family to do it. :)

M in Oz

On my recumbant this morning I read some new canned ted.com talks about budgeting. one thing she said was that people often regret spending money on eating out, but not money spent on saving time (giving the example of hiring someone to help with cleaning).

Julie - I think Rodger and I are snippy with one another right now due to the fact that neither of us feel 100%, his stomach and my hips. We tend to do better when we spend more time together though and we need to remember that. I also feel some depression kicking in, so am calling my doctor tomorrow. We are also having a debriefing tomorrow at work since we are officially off Outbreak right now.

I didn’t know about the silk for keeping the cold at bay. I am allergic to wool so that might be an idea to try

I have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old except for a time in my late teens, early 20’s when I thought I was too cool for them. What a mistake that was! I have been wearing Progressives now since 2010 and each pair is noticeably stronger than the last.

We hired out snow shovelling last February. We found a guy that does our driveway and walkway, including traction control for 15.00. We have only needed him twice since October, as we have had very few snowfalls.

We had a debrief at work yesterday it helped some. Our facility has done very well in supporting our mental health through this. There is now a fully funded therapist sessions available to us and yesterday was the first debrief of 8.

Next week we are going to celebrate Valentines Day by decorating, putting flowers throughout the facility and on dining tables. A draw for a spa day, and pizza for lunch. We have not been able to do anything like that since before Christmas.

My hip is still painful, but more like a nagging headache type pain that is just going away rather then the migraine type of less than 2 weeks ago. It’s not 100% but it’s getting better, I would say about 75%.

I have the Greatest Super Bowl commercials 2021 edition on. We don’t get most of those nice one time commercials here, so I love watching these shows. Those Budweiser Clydesdales are my absolute favourite.

Tracey in Edmonton

@Snowflake1968 Tracey, it sounds like you are taking care of yourself/ves as best you can.
    Silk is also so thin, so pretty great for unbulkiness.
    That is great about your facility supporting mental health. Are you taking advantage of therapy sessions? Are you celebrating valentines with your DH (since you said you do better if you spend more time together, and that you like heather's celebration of different things. I'm not big on valentine's not much celebrated here, but have been known to buy a valentine's tartlet for very minor celebration.

@Whidislander do they have summer nudist places around there? Here winter is winter and I can't imagine any nudist place where people here are not dressed in winder, but there are nude places and nude beaches for sure. I have not been into nudist colonies, but when I lived in south west with my boyfriend we would go to sparsely populated beaches in the summer where half of people were nude. It was nice.

@kymarai Kylia, belated happy birthday!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    its 8 am and I slept fairly well, prepped 2 work mails to go out now, meditated and have been 20 min on the recumbant watching ted talks (about budget-so so, a bit canned with 2 or 3 good tips).
    now, shower, walk, declutter, thesis, therapy session, thesis, and other stuff.

wish me luck with the T part! :D
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I'm so happy you are getting help at work. <3 You have been through the wringer this last year. I hope you will take advantage of the free sessions, what a great thing! I'm also glad that your hip seems to be easing a bit. I'm still doing daily exercises for my gluteal tendonopathy, and it's much improved, but it's a nuisance I don't need. DH'S back/hip pain is a constant annoyance for him. When he doesn't voice it I forget that it is constantly on his mind and get annoyed with him being a bit 'off'.
    Spring will be here soon. You have had your jabs. <3 Sign up for a session or two at work, have a good cry, and keep doing that physio! :D You have been a heroine this past year.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Kylia - Missed your birthday! :o Ooops! :flowerforyou: Looking forward to the details. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I'm with you on the help in the home, Machka and Bananas. :D
    For one thing, it's not worth me, or DH, injuring ourselves climbing up things, or lifting heavy things. Whenever I try to do something I nearly always hurt my knee, or my shoulder, or make my hip worse. Let the young and fit take care if it. :D Currently I need my son to put a lampshade up. Yes, we could do it, but it involves getting a stepladder out of the garage, bringing it up steps, climbing up it, leaning over at an awkward angle and doing something fiddly that requires good eyesight. My DH's vestibular problems, plus his back, make that a major operation. No thanks.
    In Brighton and Hove they have companies that will do odd jobs in the home. Handyman stuff. Pricey, but priceless, in my opinion. We had a man put a TV on the wall because our own drill was not strong enough and another man mended our shed. But they will do anything. I think that is such a great idea. At my last apartment, before I met DH, I had a man come to hang a few pictures up for me. As Julie said, I never regret that money, but paying a fortune for inferior food, yes.
    Plus I love watching people work who are good at their jobs. :D My window cleaner has the whole house done in 20 minutes. It would take me at least a day and I would be worn out! Plus have a frozen shoulder the next day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Post Office, bank, forms & receipts to fire hall
    Bonus: Beach stroll with T & Shadow
    Get to do: take BP, Post Office, bank, dogs to powerline, fire district: order v6 training textbooks, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    3: Do an act of kindness to make life easier for someone else: forms & receipts to fire hall

Still skimmin’ tryin’ to catch up

Food I can’t get here: Poori bread or most any Indian cuisine. Chicken piccata or most any Italian cuisine (other than pizza or frozen).

Welcome @ElaineYesICan and @srkabalta
    RIP Captain Tom.
    Vicki in NE good to see you posting again.
    Rebecca you ARE beautiful!
    Barbie the “key to meditation” meme made me snort my bubble water. LOL!
    Kate “purge testing” sounds scary!
    Lisa :love: the jeans hot pads. Is there an inner layer? Batting?
    Kylia belated Happy Birthday!
    Teresa in OH I covet your fitness center with aqua aerobics. Aqua Zumba is one of the few things I miss from where we lived before.
    Karen in VA, pip and Sue in WA beautiful pics!
    Julie Good luck with the T part. Brava for chipping away at it daily.
    Katla hope you’ll reconsider Machka’s, Julie’s, Heather’s advice. With your recent fall injuries, do you really want to be up on a ladder putting boxes away? :heart:
    Tracey, what Heather said, every word.

Missing Lanette, Beth.

T timed our stroll just right, we got sprinkled on but missed the downpours. 15 minutes earlier or later and we’d’ve been soaked to the skin. Zoom happy hour was fun but I used up my weeks ration of wine…

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 3/13/49, steps>5627=8177 that’s better!, vits=3, log=3, CI<CO=3, CI<250<CO=3, Tumble=1 Shadow=2 mfp=3 outside=1 up hill=1
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx= dance= clean 60 mins= packwalk=, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7: 2/14: 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=1 play=2 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

M in Oz

On my recumbant this morning I read some new canned ted.com talks about budgeting. one thing she said was that people often regret spending money on eating out, but not money spent on saving time (giving the example of hiring someone to help with cleaning).

I can understand that ... I rarely eat out because I don't think it's worth it, but I've never regretted having someone mow our lawn or do cleaning, etc.

One of the things I liked about the apartment I lived in for many years in Winnipeg was the fact that everything outside was taken care of for me. While the building caretaker was mowing the lawn, shovelling snow or raking leaves, I was out cycling, attending classes, travelling, sleeping, etc. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I am about to embark on the dressing room this weekend. I've got a good idea of where I want to put most things and what I want to do with what storage I have, however, I'm puzzling about two drawers.

These two drawers are big and deep. Lovely, right? But what on earth do I put into them?

The folding and storage techniques I've read about prefer the use of relatively shallow drawers. Folding tops, undies, etc.

After some research I figured out what to do with my shelves - that's where the big things will go like my jeans, bulky pullovers, etc.

And of course, I've got a hanging area for dresses, skirts, and some tops.

But I'm not sure about these deep drawers!

M in Oz