WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,498 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Kylia - Happy belated birthday!

Barbara AHMOD - Yep, the potholder/hot pads have thermal fleece as a batting in between the two layers of jeans material. The denim is ALMOST protective enough, especially for someone who tends to use doubled dishtowels instead of potholders most of the time, but it will conduct heat. But one layer of the thermal fleece, and they do even better. This is the one I'm using, and it's only about $6 at Walmart, and makes about four pair (your mileage may vary).

65dlgd00x323.png

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Machka - I am such an incredibly fussy eater I won’t try new things.

Tracey in Edmonton

I won't likely try new animal products or fungus (mushrooms, etc.) but I may try fruits and veggies. Except for durian ... I probably won't try durian.

M in Oz

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    💙💛💚💓💜
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Thursday! It has been a bit chilly here, and going to get colder for the next few days. Most of this week the temps have been in the high teens (Farenheit), but the wind chill has been bringing us down into the single digits. I have had the kids out every day; but only for 30-60 minutes. They are well bundled and it is still a battle to get some of them to leave hats on and coats zipped because they get so warm playing. Next week the temps look to drop another ten degrees, which by itself is not much of a problem, but the wind will be coming in off the lake at 20mph! So...we may have a couple of indoor days, next week. IF we do go out, it will probably be on the east side of my house, only, so that we are a bit sheltered from the wind. I don't have my youngest charge, today. Baby Ayla is 11 months old and a sweetie; but babies are a lot of (individual) work when you are trying to do things with a group of 2/3 years olds. Yesterday we made a snow volcano outside. I tried to get video as I also supervised the kids and watched Ayla roll around in the snow. lol The kids had a great time; but it made me think that I either need to grow a couple more sets of arms/hands or get a GoPro for hands free video.

Anyway, my more mindful eating is going okay. I haven't gone over calorie this week; but I have made a couple of "not smart" choices. I have noticed that as the temps get colder, I really tend to lean toward something creamy and comforting. I need to go back to making two or three soups on the weekend, because I really think I could stay a bit truer to my meal plan if I didn't run out of soup. And with Tim beginning to eat more soup, I really need to get on the ball. So...this weekend, I will make tomato soup, creamy vegetable soup, and one other...still thinking about it. Maybe a mushroom and onion soup? The mushroom soup would me just for me, as Tim is allergic to mushrooms. I made Tim a cheeseburger soup last week and he really liked that, so maybe I will make him a bit more of that.

REbecca- You are just beautiful!
    Pip- The bike ride looks fun! I love the pic of you and KIrby! Were you in Vegas?
    Machka- What about blanket storage? Or shoe storage for the deep drawers?

Well, kids are arriving and if the amount of noise coming out of them is indicative of how much energy they have, I am in trouble! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I have something for blanket storage, but I was kind of wondering about shoe storage ... if I could store the shoes vertically in the drawers.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌞🙂😁
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Debbie in Napa Valley: I also have a food dehydrator and love it. I use it primarily for home grown herbs like parsley, green onions, and chocolate mint. :star:

Lisa: We’ve been using lactaid cottage cheese for DH and 2% lactaid milk for cooking. I use regular 2% cottage cheese. :smiley: Neither of us use yoghurt. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Keeping your pup warm for a walk is an excellent idea. Do you have boots to wear that will grip and not slip in icy conditions? :huh:

Kylia: Happy birthday!!! :star:

Sue: Your moonset photo is lovely! :bigsmile:

Barbie: You are enticing me to knit. I have a lovely ball of yearn that I’ve been saving.

I am enjoying a bit of me time this morning. DH & the dog are both still sleeping.

We are looking forward to getting vaccinated. Our date is 2/22 or 2/23. The county health office will let us know when to go for the shots.

Katla in the dark at 7am
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning! Happy Thursday! It has been a bit chilly here, and going to get colder for the next few days. Most of this week the temps have been in the high teens (Farenheit), but the wind chill has been bringing us down into the single digits. I have had the kids out every day; but only for 30-60 minutes. They are well bundled and it is still a battle to get some of them to leave hats on and coats zipped because they get so warm playing. Next week the temps look to drop another ten degrees, which by itself is not much of a problem, but the wind will be coming in off the lake at 20mph! So...we may have a couple of indoor days, next week. IF we do go out, it will probably be on the east side of my house, only, so that we are a bit sheltered from the wind. I don't have my youngest charge, today. Baby Ayla is 11 months old and a sweetie; but babies are a lot of (individual) work when you are trying to do things with a group of 2/3 years olds. Yesterday we made a snow volcano outside. I tried to get video as I also supervised the kids and watched Ayla roll around in the snow. lol The kids had a great time; but it made me think that I either need to grow a couple more sets of arms/hands or get a GoPro for hands free video.

Anyway, my more mindful eating is going okay. I haven't gone over calorie this week; but I have made a couple of "not smart" choices. I have noticed that as the temps get colder, I really tend to lean toward something creamy and comforting. I need to go back to making two or three soups on the weekend, because I really think I could stay a bit truer to my meal plan if I didn't run out of soup. And with Tim beginning to eat more soup, I really need to get on the ball. So...this weekend, I will make tomato soup, creamy vegetable soup, and one other...still thinking about it. Maybe a mushroom and onion soup? The mushroom soup would me just for me, as Tim is allergic to mushrooms. I made Tim a cheeseburger soup last week and he really liked that, so maybe I will make him a bit more of that.

REbecca- You are just beautiful!
    Pip- The bike ride looks fun! I love the pic of you and KIrby! Were you in Vegas?

Well, kids are arriving and if the amount of noise coming out of them is indicative of how much energy they have, I am in trouble! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

That was one of our trips to Vegas. We haven’t been there in 5-1/2 years, when Kirby turned 60 and I broke my shoulder bone
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,797 Member
    Options
    Julie - We haven't done anything for Valentine's in a long time, but since Valentines is on a weekend this year I should do something. I may be gone that weekend though to my cousin's.

Heather - underlying pain is an awful thing to deal with daily. I've decided the exercises she has given me for my hip and back are going to be a regular part of my routine the one that helps the most is called clam shells. Just lying on my side and raising and lowering my knees together. I have to do it on the couch though as I need the support behind my back or it actually causes issues in other places. I haven't taken advantage of the therapy yet, but I think I need to. I have to set up an appointment.

My Dad helped raise us by being a handyman after his full time job. He was a licensed general contractor, and could do anything. He was licensed as an electrician and carpenter and could do plumbing but preferred not to. Reading through Mom's diaries it is a log of where Dad worked and what he did for people in the community. He usually charged what they were willing to pay, not a set rate. He could have had a wonderful business if his heart wasn't so big, he didn't like charging what he was worth.

Machka - That is a thing I miss about renting too. They just took care of things. Have you looked at Marie Kondo's way of folding things? That might work for you big drawers. I personally don't have the patience for it, but I would use the big drawers for my pajamas. I have a lot of them because that's what my girls tend to buy me every year for Christmas.

Kelly - I love the pictures of the children. I've been seeing posts on FB about the snow volcanoes, they look like fun.

Pip - That is very exciting to pay cash for the condo. I hope the trailer gets done soon for you and you get out and enjoy it.

It is snowing today, my car is covered in the hour since I've been at work. It feels like a soup kind of day. Maybe that's what I'll make for supper soup and grilled cheese. I had the best grilled cheese this summer when camping, my daughter had iron pie makers in her trailer and we used them for grilled cheese. They were so good we ate them for supper two nights in a row. I have not been able to stop thinking about them and grilled cheese at home just hasn't been as enjoyable.

I should get on with my work day.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    B)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    The government are calling it purge testing, basically they are going door to door with test kits to see how far this South African variant has spread. There are about 8 areas where they have identified cases. But they have also set up mobile testing areas so on one hand they say don’t leave your home but go out and get tested. Usual inconsistencies.
    Here in Liverpool we have a variant based on the original virus so no purge testing yet.

Have had Zoom session with my over 60s ladies only 5 of us but we laugh and chat about a lot of stuff from husbands to food.

Can’t believe DH will be 80 in 4 weeks, not sure how we’ll celebrate, should be in Spain😢, probably do his favourite meal, roast lamb, veg and gravy, followed by chocolate cake. He really loves Christmas pudding and custard, but we’ve used the last pudding. (We usually stock up on the small individual ones which we split)

No use asking what present he would like as he’s the least materialistic person, the kids will ask too so it will probably be money.

Kate UK ❤️
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked today so no formal exercise. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise.

Kate UK – what is “purge testing”?

A good friend from church passed away and his memorial was yesterday. Normally, I would have gone. But I had no desire to tempt things what with the second vaccination a week away. If I were to get COVID, I know they wouldn’t give me the second vaccination. To me, that just isn’t worth it.

Lisa – I just gave two of my masks to the gal who made them. I think the elastic is stretched out. I asked her if she could just exchange that for the type she has now, adjustable. She said she could. Well, when I get them back, I’ll give her a donation for the soup kitchen

We put away most of the Christmas decorations yesterday, not sure when we’ll get to the rest. Started getting packed for FL – I know that it’s a ways off.

Rebecca – you don’t have strange meals – I do. My BREAKFAST yesterday consisted of chili, edamame, riced cauliflower and cottage cheese. Now THAT’S strange.

Margaret – next Tuesday in Ames, IA the high will be 4 and the low will be -13. NC looks pretty good about right now

Kyla – Happy Birthday

Michele NC

Not strange, you are unique my friend!💖👍
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: There are adults who would put us on their calendar but this task is not too difficult and we have done it many times over the years. I want to put things away so that the most important things are easy for me to find next Christmas season. There are no available teenagers in this neighborhood. We will be able to get it done.

At some point, however, it is not a bad idea to start outsourcing. We can clean the house and mow the lawn, but we get someone else to do it from time to time.

If you want it done quickly, sometimes the best way is to get someone outside the immediate family to do it. :)

M in Oz

On my recumbant this morning I read some new canned ted.com talks about budgeting. one thing she said was that people often regret spending money on eating out, but not money spent on saving time (giving the example of hiring someone to help with cleaning).

Julie - I think Rodger and I are snippy with one another right now due to the fact that neither of us feel 100%, his stomach and my hips. We tend to do better when we spend more time together though and we need to remember that. I also feel some depression kicking in, so am calling my doctor tomorrow. We are also having a debriefing tomorrow at work since we are officially off Outbreak right now.

I didn’t know about the silk for keeping the cold at bay. I am allergic to wool so that might be an idea to try

I have been wearing glasses since I was 5 years old except for a time in my late teens, early 20’s when I thought I was too cool for them. What a mistake that was! I have been wearing Progressives now since 2010 and each pair is noticeably stronger than the last.

We hired out snow shovelling last February. We found a guy that does our driveway and walkway, including traction control for 15.00. We have only needed him twice since October, as we have had very few snowfalls.

We had a debrief at work yesterday it helped some. Our facility has done very well in supporting our mental health through this. There is now a fully funded therapist sessions available to us and yesterday was the first debrief of 8.

Next week we are going to celebrate Valentines Day by decorating, putting flowers throughout the facility and on dining tables. A draw for a spa day, and pizza for lunch. We have not been able to do anything like that since before Christmas.

My hip is still painful, but more like a nagging headache type pain that is just going away rather then the migraine type of less than 2 weeks ago. It’s not 100% but it’s getting better, I would say about 75%.

I have the Greatest Super Bowl commercials 2021 edition on. We don’t get most of those nice one time commercials here, so I love watching these shows. Those Budweiser Clydesdales are my absolute favourite.

Tracey in Edmonton

@Snowflake1968 Tracey, it sounds like you are taking care of yourself/ves as best you can.
    Silk is also so thin, so pretty great for unbulkiness.
    That is great about your facility supporting mental health. Are you taking advantage of therapy sessions? Are you celebrating valentines with your DH (since you said you do better if you spend more time together, and that you like heather's celebration of different things. I'm not big on valentine's not much celebrated here, but have been known to buy a valentine's tartlet for very minor celebration.

@Whidislander do they have summer nudist places around there? Here winter is winter and I can't imagine any nudist place where people here are not dressed in winder, but there are nude places and nude beaches for sure. I have not been into nudist colonies, but when I lived in south west with my boyfriend we would go to sparsely populated beaches in the summer where half of people were nude. It was nice.

@kymarai Kylia, belated happy birthday!

They do, but on the mainland. Here on the island, winters are gray, rainy, windy and cold. I do not even consider my nudist self during the winter. I attended a topless beach in Thailand, when a bunch of us wives met the ship there. I did not see any other wives at the main beach, they all went to hidden places to sun their selves I guess!
    Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - How about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matthew-Walker-Classic-Christmas-Pudding/dp/B009GE7WGQ/ref=sr_1_43?crid=3HU6Q3VZDHVC5&amp;dchild=1&amp;keywords=small+christmas+puddings+to+buy&amp;qid=1612457146&amp;sprefix=Small+christmas+p,aps,180&amp;sr=8-43

I love Christmas pudding too, but haven't had it in a couple of years. I'm tempted! >:)

Sooooo enjoying Call My Agent. Managing 375 calorie burn while I'm watching it and polishing my French at the same time. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks for link Heather and what is Call my Agent

Kate
  • Whidislander
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Good morning my ladies! Oh you should've been here yesterday! I made roasted baby potatoes in the oven, and pan fried some zucchini, kielbasa sausage, red onion, and just to add a bit more protein I scrambled 4 eggs with cheddar cheese on top. My bowl was roasted potatoes on bottom with ketchup, then the 1/2 of the egg mixture, then zucchini and sausage mixture! It was heaven in my ramen bowl! My eldest, Galen, loves meals like these, so we feasted together! I really appreciate having him here to share my meals! Husband would flee if he had to endure meals like that one! This time I tossed the sausage, zucchini and onion mixture in a bit of olive oil, spices and garlic paste. Then piled it in the big pan. There is definitely a lot of moisture reduction that needs to occur before things start to brown. Patience Rebecca patience! The zucchini kind of disintegrate at some point, so I didn't stir it much. The onions caramelized into sweet bits and it was a success.

Today I have to get my military dependent ID renewed. Then we're visiting an eye doctor, because I need my glasses stronger! So probably just making an appointment.

Husband is taking me out to lunch.
    Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca