Keto and Fasting has been amazing thus far.

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    my BMI is currently 23 and I am maintaining on that on 1710 calories net. (58 yrs old, height 164cm, weight 62 kg)

I don't do a lot of excercise so some days it is 1800 ish but often just 1710

when I was losing I was on 1460.

One can divide one's meals into 5 (breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, dinner, after dinner snack) without any meal being only raisins and nuts

Raisins and nuts are quite calorie dense - but my mid morning snack is something like a banana, and main meals look like main meals, not a handful of nuts.

• shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    May I return to (according to my intepretation) the point of this thread? I have a question about Ketosis. Having dabbled a bit with converting my metabolism to Ketosis, I have discovered that one meal/a few choice snacks, can catapult me out of Ketoland without mercy. I was in Ketosis yesterday and had crispy chicken and a handful of chips and snap...I was sent flying back into normal metabolic world. ....Question. If I fast for a day or so and return back to the strict/rigid/and carb-free and sugar-free diet, will it take the same amount of time to return to Ketosis or will the lack of carbs/sugars speed the process up in relation to the typical 2 to 5 days? Your thought (if we can shift from the all important "pizza-gate" debate?
    Thanks
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Do you think it matters if you occasionally go out of ketosis? My understanding is that the main benefit of keto is appetite control and that if you can ride out any cravings from going out of it (eating more carbs or carbs/fat junk type foods), you reenter easily.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    natasor1 wrote: »
    I think that breaks between meals and no snacking after 7PM are very relevant. It is main times periods when your insulin going down and let your internal system recover from glucose peaks. Your fat burning hormones (about 38 of them allowed to be released and do their valuable work. Hormonal make up is crucial in any centenarians diets , in the blew zones diets. Not a food type makes the blue zoned so healthy, but what people do between the meals.
    There are diets based on sweet potato, on lentils, on meat, on coconut palm fruits or palm oil. But the mail feature they have is calories deficit and few times of meals a day (1, 2 or 3 not more)

I eat about 70% of my food after 7pm and I've lost 113 pounds in 11 months. I don't feel like I'm at a significant disadvantage from working 3rd shift and eating lunch and diner after 7pm.

Yeah, I'm a person who finds snacking is unsatisfying so I decided to eat only at meals (3, I'm conventional) when losing and I easily lost 90 lbs (215-125) eating at 7, 12, and 9 most days. Wasn't an issue. Obsessing about dumb stuff like ideal eating/workout times and amount of eating and macros (I do think protein matters and lower carb helps hunger for some, as does WFPB) only made it more difficult to do what made it easier for me. Currently I find 2 meals easier for me (although I was at a lower weight when eating 3, I think it has more to do with other things) and usually eat them around 12 and 7, but my old eating late pattern clearly did not hurt me (and I'm perfectly capable of gaining when eating earlier, less times, or in a shorter window--I've done it!).

Edit: and I ate late bc of work and commuting. I currently eat earlier bc of covid flexibility as even though I go to the office most days now I car pool and do a lot of work from home. When I'm back to the office full time and commute 7 will be completely unrealistic. I used to normally leave the office at 7:30 (or maybe 6:30 if I worked out after work), get home around 8:30, and then make dinner. When younger in a (usually) more stressful job, I'd leave later. The idea that eating everything before 7 is necessary, let alone possible, is bizarre to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    May I return to (according to my intepretation) the point of this thread? I have a question about Ketosis. Having dabbled a bit with converting my metabolism to Ketosis, I have discovered that one meal/a few choice snacks, can catapult me out of Ketoland without mercy. I was in Ketosis yesterday and had crispy chicken and a handful of chips and snap...I was sent flying back into normal metabolic world. ....Question. If I fast for a day or so and return back to the strict/rigid/and carb-free and sugar-free diet, will it take the same amount of time to return to Ketosis or will the lack of carbs/sugars speed the process up in relation to the typical 2 to 5 days? Your thought (if we can shift from the all important "pizza-gate" debate?
    Thanks

If keto is for losing weight and that's your goal then it really doesn't matter if you drift in and out of nutritional ketosis because it still comes down to calories. Low carb or ketosis will pretty much do the same thing as far as satiety goes, so if feeling more satiated is working for you, both should be effective. Well, it does for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty weirded out, reading back, by the idea that you have 'nothing else in your life' if you're eating multiple snacks in a day.

How freaking long do you think it takes to shove bread in a toaster and smear peanut butter on it, or grab a banana and yogurt, then wash a spoon???

Or even if it does take some of us a long time - are cooking, baking, gardening, and other related hobbies all lame because they involve food? :confused:

OMG, I spend SO much time gardening!

And in the colder months I just love to spend hours in the kitchen, cooking and baking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Throwing this out there.

https://youtu.be/HaZmhuonGIs
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    Thanks
    Good question, YMMV, but I have found it does not take as long for me to get back in ketosis if I go out of it through eating carbs, then it did initially
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty weirded out, reading back, by the idea that you have 'nothing else in your life' if you're eating multiple snacks in a day.

How freaking long do you think it takes to shove bread in a toaster and smear peanut butter on it, or grab a banana and yogurt, then wash a spoon???

well, yes - especially since the post was aimed at me and I had already said I have 2 snacks per day (well, yes, I guess 2 is 'multiple') ,. one of which is a banana - zero preparation (well, peeling it takes 5 seconds) and zero cleaning up
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If that's work, are you sure you're allowed to bring guns in?

Ahaha... :)