Please don't police my thoughts:

Options

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options

That's your definition of "growth", stamping out an historically accepted definition of a word simply because YOUR notion culture has "evolved" to the point of political correctness? Have fun with that.

Try going to the UK, where "*kitten*" is used quite commonly (for cigarettes)....and where you don't hear the homosexual community whining about it.

Yes that's my definition of growth.

Unless you want to go back to historically appropriate times and measures: In which case, blacks would still be slaves in America and I, as a woman, would not be allowed to vote.

Change happens.

Why are you so opposed to it?

You need to read it back. It is not about opposing growth but accepting change happens slowly and each end of the timescale should be able to live with it. No one subculture should ever have the veto over anything. That is how our previously hegemonic society existed. You decry that but seem to want to squash me and people like me who have no malice but simply choose to use some words as they were originally intended.

You will note that I haven't asked that gay stopped being used in any other way, just that my usage remains valid and as accpeted as the new meaning.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

You need to read it back. It is not about opposing growth but accepting change happens slowly and each end of the timescale should be able to live with it. No one subculture should ever have the veto over anything. That is how our previously hegemonic society existed. You decry that but seem to want to squash me and people like me who have no malice but simply choose to use some words as they were originally intended.

You will note that I haven't asked that gay stopped being used in any other way, just that my usage remains valid and as accpeted as the new meaning.

Fair enough point.

The original meaning of the N word is German. It simply means ploughman.

So why are you not out there using that word??? Would it have anything to do with the negative connotation that our changing culture has placed on what was once a truly benign word?
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think the OP meant to say camp , theatrical, over the top, etc just sayin....
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I will use the word gay for whichever purpose I choose, society has no say over my own usage of the term and I see absolutely no need to 'change with the times' in respect to one word that some people take exception to because they have attached their own stigma and beliefs to it. I am, however, mindful of the company I am in, and would never use the term in a way that those around me would find derogatory.

This is such a pedantic argument. There literally IS no argument. People who use the word 'gay' in its original context should in no way have to conform to society's use of the word now.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    54577.JPG
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    54577.JPG

Yes.
  • debbash68
    Options
    Oh yea over yonder times thoust art not changeth the meaning of words aside from whenst thou is bidden, language stuff changes n that!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.

you should watch the South Park episode where they address this. just as gay morphed from happy to homesexual in a lot of ways it has morphed into something else in a lot of situations and when people use that word they arent referencing homosexuals at all.

it was a pretty interesting episode.
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    Oh yea over yonder times thoust art not changeth the meaning of words aside from whenst thou is bidden, language stuff changes n that!

I'm not suggesting that the world should revert to conversing in Medieval English. That style of language is defunct. The word 'gay' in its original context, however, isn't; therefore it's perfectly acceptable to use it in this day and age.

As I said - pedantic.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    And the "n" word used to have a different meaning as well, but societal norms have changed. You are aware of this and there are plenty of other words that could have been used appropriately in its place. So you either misspoke thoughtlessly, or you're intentionally trying to stir the pot using a rather weak argument to support your case.
    The n word has never had a different meaning sorry it still means ignorant just as the people who use it...the difference is African American people try to use it now themselves as sort of a flip up to give Caucasian people less power when they use it. and yes I'm African American. Gay is still Gay it does mean happy and jolly it is not the OP's fault that people take offense really lol think about it there are several holiday songs that include the word "Gay" to describe exactly what he is saying....I doubt one includes the N word. Perhaps its just me but calling Homosexual people Gay is the same as calling African American people the N word .....Ignorant.......and that's why I refer to both in proper terms
  • debbash68
    Options

I'm not suggesting that the world should revert to conversing in Medieval English. That style of language is defunct. The word 'gay' in its original context, however, isn't; therefore it's perfectly acceptable to use it in this day and age.

As I said - pedantic.
    Was trying to be a bit funny and lighthearted by using the argument to the extreme..........:sad: back to the drawing board!
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    Was trying to be a bit funny and lighthearted by using the argument to the extreme..........:sad: back to the drawing board!

Hehe, in that case, ignore me :P This whole post has just aggravated me it seems!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

tumblr_luk5eeOBmh1r5r5uqo1_500.gif
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.

OR maybe certain crusaders have become selectively and politically uptight. Gay is an old term that has many meanings. None of my gay friends care that I use "gay," but I do notice certain crusaders with overly sensitive political agendas will call out certain uses of words. What's funny is the same people will throw around tremendously hateful and disparaging terms to people they disagree with, as if it's totally consistent with the tolerance they promote.

You know the 'well none of my friends' argument is kinda weak, right? It's disrespectful to a lot people, so don't do it, easy. They get harassed and discriminated enough, without having their sexuality used as a negative term.

We live in the US where Liberals run the country and ANYTHING can and will be taken out of context and used to call someone out and being labeled as a bigot...and to a liberal if you are a Republican you are a bigot.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Calling something "gay" is a way of belittling homosexuals. If you use offensive language, you'll be called on it.

I also don't like the expression "to cry like a little girl" when applied to adults. It's a stereotype and a form of belittling females.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    "Gay" does not equate to the "n" word. That would be the "f" word, and I don't mean *kitten*.

I remember being a part of the Gay/Straight Aliance group at my university where there was a debate on whether the plight of the LGBT community can be equated to the African-American struggle for civil rights. It was a consensus that being called a "f" brings about the same pain as being called the "n" word.
  • jessicagrimwood
    Options
    I get so tired of having to be overly sensitive about the words that are used. If you mean it in a derogatory sense, then shame on you but if you simply mean it as jolly, then people need to get over it. I get so tired of the double standards in this country. People sit there and judge when people use words like "gay" or "retarded" when they aren't making fun of someone but no one judges anyone for calling someone fat? That can be just as demeaning to someone who is overweight as someone using the word 'gay" is to a homosexual. It's funny to me how no one makes a stand for the more than 60% of this country who are overweight. You don't see us "fat" people throwing a big ole baby fit because someone used the word "fat." Which, btw, I have heard plenty of homosexual people talk badly about overweight people. JUST GET OVER IT ALREADY! There are so many more important things in this world than what word someone uses.
  • jessicagrimwood
    Options
    Not only that but if you look at the definition of "gay," homosexual is it's 4th meaning...

Gay \ˈgā\

Definition of GAY

John 1685–1732 Eng. poet & dram.
    Rhymes with GAY

a, ae, bay, bey, blae, brae, bray, chez, clay, Cray, day, dey, dray, eh, fay, fey, flay, fley, frae, fray, Frey, gay, gey, gley, gray, hay...
    [+]more
    1gay adjective \ˈgā\
    Definition of GAY

a : happily excited : merry <in a gay mood>
    b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>
    a : bright, lively <gay sunny meadows>
    b : brilliant in color
    : given to social pleasures; also : licentious
    a : homosexual <gay men>
    b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>
    — gay adverb
    — gay·ness noun
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options

So why are you not out there using that word??? Would it have anything to do with the negative connotation that our changing culture has placed on what was once a truly benign word?

Because, in English, it always had a negative connotation, used to describe slaves and has never had a different meaning. In all guises it is perjorative - there is no other meaning, when applied to a person. You don't think there has been a newly invented word for black in Latinate countries, do you?

German ploughman is pfluger, isn't it. The Latin roots of Italian/Spanish/Portuguese word for black, negre, was the root of the word we dare not speak :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Not only that but if you look at the definition of "gay," homosexual is it's 4th meaning...

Gay \ˈgā\

Definition of GAY

John 1685–1732 Eng. poet & dram.
    Rhymes with GAY

a, ae, bay, bey, blae, brae, bray, chez, clay, Cray, day, dey, dray, eh, fay, fey, flay, fley, frae, fray, Frey, gay, gey, gley, gray, hay...
    [+]more
    1gay adjective \ˈgā\
    Definition of GAY

a : happily excited : merry <in a gay mood>
    b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>
    a : bright, lively <gay sunny meadows>
    b : brilliant in color
    : given to social pleasures; also : licentious
    a : homosexual <gay men>
    b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>
    — gay adverb
    — gay·ness noun

And you think those other meanings would apply to the OP's description of his behavior in reporting a fire?