• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mofvyrpw4y1so4ck9o1_400.gif
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Oh yea over yonder times thoust art not changeth the meaning of words aside from whenst thou is bidden, language stuff changes n that!

tumblr_luk5eeOBmh1r5r5uqo1_500.gif
    :flowerforyou:
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Not only that but if you look at the definition of "gay," homosexual is it's 4th meaning...

Gay \ˈgā\

Definition of GAY

John 1685–1732 Eng. poet & dram.
    Rhymes with GAY

a, ae, bay, bey, blae, brae, bray, chez, clay, Cray, day, dey, dray, eh, fay, fey, flay, fley, frae, fray, Frey, gay, gey, gley, gray, hay...
    [+]more
    1gay adjective \ˈgā\
    Definition of GAY

a : happily excited : merry <in a gay mood>
    b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>
    a : bright, lively <gay sunny meadows>
    b : brilliant in color
    : given to social pleasures; also : licentious
    a : homosexual <gay men>
    b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>
    — gay adverb
    — gay·ness noun

And you think those other meanings would apply to the OP's description of his behavior in reporting a fire?

Yes, He said in his description he was overly excited because of all the activity...which is definition number ONE. Eyeroll
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

And you think those other meanings would apply to the OP's description of his behavior in reporting a fire?

Yes, He said in his description he was overly excited because of all the activity...which is definition number ONE. Eyeroll

But why would a fire cause him to be so happy? I suppose maybe people he didn't like got burned or something like that.

Makes total sense now, thanks.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, the word "brah" offends me (beyond being the vernacular of simpletons). I would appreciate that it no longer be used.....

Sorry, brah, but the word "brah" has yet to be incorporated into our culture as a whole. Come back in twenty years. Maybe you'll have had the time and energy to change the word "gay" by then, too.

We'll both grow as people. Wouldn't that be beautiful?

That's your definition of "growth", stamping out an historically accepted definition of a word simply because YOUR notion culture has "evolved" to the point of political correctness? Have fun with that.

Try going to the UK, where "*kitten*" is used quite commonly (for cigarettes)....and where you don't hear the homosexual community whining about it.

You don't hear people whining about it because us Brits have enough common sense to know that Americans understand something different in the word "*kitten*" than we do. I don't use the word "*kitten*" when talking to Americans, because otherwise there'd be gross miscommunications. It's just plain common sense. Words change meanings over time because language evolves, and different dialects may have a different meaning for the same word, also because languages evolve. I also don't use the words "flat" "lift" or "dodgy" with Americans, because they typically don't understand what I mean, unless they are already familiar with British English (some are, but unless I already know them well, I don't know if they are or not).

I can't believe that people are getting so butthurt over this. The vast majority of English speakers understand the term "gay" to mean "homosexual" - if there are still a few somewhere who due to differences in dialect still use it to mean "merry" then I think that's lovely. However you can't expect to be able to use the term with that meaning on a global platform like the internet, and not have someone misunderstand it. Just like I'm not going to post on the internet "I hate *kitten*" (meaning "I hate cigarettes") because the internet is full of Americans who will mostly likely think I'm saying "I hate homosexuals" and take offence. However in a pub in London I might say "I hate *kitten*" to another Brit, probably in the context of someone blowing their cigarette smoke in my direction, because they speak the same dialect as me and the context is obvious.

Sorry if you feel sad about the direction the English language is evolving in. Personally I don't like the way the word "troll" has been changed from meaning a being from Norse mythology, to someone who wastes everyone's time with stupid arguments on the internet... but I can't control the evolution of language, so I just have to get over it.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Let's just cut through the ****, here. You weren't using the word "gay" to mean happy or jolly. You were using it to mean "lame". That usage is considered offensive to many. It's something we used to say when we were in grade 5 and didn't know any better. You know better, don't you? Of course you do. That's why you tried to claim you meant something else by the word "gay" so you could get support for your choice.

Thank you! How is this not immediately obvious to anyone reading the OP's post?
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    Tsao. Haven't you ever been "excitable" when something crazy is going on? You wouldn't be excited in some way if helicopters were flying around and fire trucks...ever rubber necked someone being pulled over or a car wreck? I use the word gay to decribe overly excited behavior or being overly silly all the time. My usage of it in that context has nothing to do with a homosexual man" When I am referring to a man who likes men I call him a "homsexual" It's like people are overly sensitive. I have noticed those that are secure with who they are are not so easily offended.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sytlistchicky you're trying to be pedantic. but failing. *Eyeroll*
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    sytlistchicky you're trying to be pedantic. but failing. *Eyeroll*

Really? Thanks! *high five*
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Tsao. Haven't you ever been "excitable" when something crazy is going on? You wouldn't be excited in some way if helicopters were flying around and fire trucks...ever rubber necked someone being pulled over or a car wreck? I use the word gay to decribe overly excited behavior or being overly silly all the time. My usage of it in that context has nothing to do with a homosexual man" When I am referring to a man who likes men I call him a "homsexual" It's like people are overly sensitive. I have noticed those that are secure with who they are are not so easily offended.

yes and sometimes I use the term "*kitten*" to mean "cigarette" .... but I wouldn't expect Americans to know that I mean "cigarette" because in America it means "homosexual". So whatever you mean when you say "gay" you surely should not be surprised if some people take it to mean "homosexual" because that's what it means to the vast majority of English speakers, and you can't expect the rest of the world to change their understanding of a word just because you mean something different by it. Use a different word that won't be misunderstood. There are plenty of words that are common to all dialects of English, otherwise they wouldn't be different dialects, they'd be different languages.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use the word gay to decribe overly excited behavior or being overly silly all the time. My usage of it in that context has nothing to do with a homosexual man"
    That's exactly the point. The OP was using "gay" as a mild pejorative, just as you were in your example above. And since "gay" also means homosexual, his/your usage has come to be recognized as somewhat offensive. If it was simply a poor word choice and not a deliberate offense, he should just own it, apologize, and move on.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Silly, rambling, verbose, imaginative, ludicrose...all better words to describe what your original post talks about.

When in doubt - don't.

♫ I feel pretty, and witty, and silly, rambling, verbose, imaginative, ludicrose!! ♪
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think it's wierd that the OP is, like, shocked that others associate the word "gay" with "homosexuals." Like he hasn't heard that before. Very wierd.
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    I use the word gay to decribe overly excited behavior or being overly silly all the time. My usage of it in that context has nothing to do with a homosexual man"
    That's exactly the point. The OP was using "gay" as a mild pejorative, just as you were in your example above. And since "gay" also means homosexual, his/your usage has come to be recognized as somewhat offensive. If it was simply a poor word choice and not a deliberate offense, he should just own it, apologize, and move on.

If I had offended someone with my use of the word gay I would apologize the word offends them but it's not about their sexuality. Everything can be offensive to some. I have friends that are vegetarians and or believe drinking alcohol is a sin...so are offended by the fact I eat meat and occasionally drink is very offensive. We can't police ourselves all the time to as not to offend.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, the word "brah" offends me (beyond being the vernacular of simpletons). I would appreciate that it no longer be used.....

Sorry, brah, but the word "brah" has yet to be incorporated into our culture as a whole. Come back in twenty years. Maybe you'll have had the time and energy to change the word "gay" by then, too.

We'll both grow as people. Wouldn't that be beautiful?

That's your definition of "growth", stamping out an historically accepted definition of a word simply because YOUR notion culture has "evolved" to the point of political correctness? Have fun with that.

Try going to the UK, where "*kitten*" is used quite commonly (for cigarettes)....and where you don't hear the homosexual community whining about it.

You don't hear people whining about it because us Brits have enough common sense to know that Americans understand something different in the word "*kitten*" than we do. I don't use the word "*kitten*" when talking to Americans, because otherwise there'd be gross miscommunications. It's just plain common sense. Words change meanings over time because language evolves, and different dialects may have a different meaning for the same word, also because languages evolve. I also don't use the words "flat" "lift" or "dodgy" with Americans, because they typically don't understand what I mean, unless they are already familiar with British English (some are, but unless I already know them well, I don't know if they are or not).

I can't believe that people are getting so butthurt over this. The vast majority of English speakers understand the term "gay" to mean "homosexual" - if there are still a few somewhere who due to differences in dialect still use it to mean "merry" then I think that's lovely. However you can't expect to be able to use the term with that meaning on a global platform like the internet, and not have someone misunderstand it. Just like I'm not going to post on the internet "I hate *kitten*" (meaning "I hate cigarettes") because the internet is full of Americans who will mostly likely think I'm saying "I hate homosexuals" and take offence. However in a pub in London I might say "I hate *kitten*" to another Brit, probably in the context of someone blowing their cigarette smoke in my direction, because they speak the same dialect as me and the context is obvious.

Sorry if you feel sad about the direction the English language is evolving in. Personally I don't like the way the word "troll" has been changed from meaning a being from Norse mythology, to someone who wastes everyone's time with stupid arguments on the internet... but I can't control the evolution of language, so I just have to get over it.
    I love you :flowerforyou:
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    And the "n" word used to have a different meaning as well, but societal norms have changed. You are aware of this and there are plenty of other words that could have been used appropriately in its place. So you either misspoke thoughtlessly, or you're intentionally trying to stir the pot using a rather weak argument to support your case.

Weird, your sensitivity ticket is firmly punched, and thanks for two choices of what I was thinking.

Gay has many meanings. I was being jolly and excited in a serious situation (see miriam websters). I'll show the video to some of my gay friends and get back to you, but my guess is they'll probably say I was acting gay, which they have before. Thank you, Thought Police, for telling me how intolerant I am. Honor system question: Have any of you ever used the term "tea bagger" in reference to Tea Partiers? That has only one meaning, where gay has many. Even the TV man says tea baggers, as if it was acceptable. Imaging if sean hannity used the n-word? You'd never stop hearing about it. Selective outrage and speech control doesn't help anyone's cause. =o]
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    And the "n" word used to have a different meaning as well, but societal norms have changed. You are aware of this and there are plenty of other words that could have been used appropriately in its place. So you either misspoke thoughtlessly, or you're intentionally trying to stir the pot using a rather weak argument to support your case.

Weird, your sensitivity ticket is firmly punched, and thanks for two choices of what I was thinking.

Gay has many meanings. I was being jolly and excited in a serious situation (see miriam websters). I'll show the video to some of my gay friends and get back to you, but my guess is they'll probably say I was acting gay, which they have before. Thank you, Thought Police, for telling me how intolerant I am. Honor system question: Have any of you ever used the term "tea bagger" in reference to Tea Partiers? That has only one meaning, where gay has many. Even the TV man says tea baggers, as if it was acceptable. Imaging if sean hannity used the n-word? You'd never stop hearing about it. Selective outrage and speech control doesn't help anyone's cause. =o]

How am I being sensitive when you are the one that felt the need to explain yourself/seek validation on MFP over something that happened on FB? :laugh:

I really don't care if you were using "gay" in a negative fashion or not. Hell, I use it from time to time. But I dont pick at straws trying to justify its usage.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How am I being sensitive when you are the one that felt the need to explain yourself/seek validation on MFP over something that happened on FB? :laugh:

I really don't care if you were using "gay" in a negative fashion or not. Hell, I use it from time to time. But I dont pick at straws trying to justify its usage.

Why don't you just give us the link already?

And as Whierd said - YOU, OP, were the one that decided to make a big deal out of it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Let's just cut through the ****, here. You weren't using the word "gay" to mean happy or jolly. You were using it to mean "lame". That usage is considered offensive to many. It's something we used to say when we were in grade 5 and didn't know any better. You know better, don't you? Of course you do. That's why you tried to claim you meant something else by the word "gay" so you could get support for your choice.

Thank you! How is this not immediately obvious to anyone reading the OP's post?

Yeah I think it is pretty obvious that OP screwed up and is back peddling. Very weak. Jolly while reporting a fire? Because of firetrucks and water and stuff? Maybe if you are 4 years old and it is still a big maybe.
    OP, you fail, get over it.