Less Alcohol - APRIL 2021 - One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    OK, now I am really impressed...awesome progress and dress @Lilylady3k ! And @lmlmrn you are so tempting me to "retire" early and get going on doing artwork. I love what you do!

Hello and welcome @LessOfLisa13 and @Margie_11 !! Come join the fun....this gang is on a roll......!

I LIKE the vibes I am reading.....and agree - I need to act like I'm the BOSS of me. Otherwise, who will do that job????

AF yesterday... and that's the game plan for today :)
  • globalhiker
    Options
    Margie_11 wrote: »
    Hi all, so happy I came across this thread. I have been trying to go AF Monday to Thursday for months with no luck-I always find an excuse to have a glass of wine after work. Today I decided to try to trick my brain so I poured soda water into my wine glass. So far so good!
    Do you have any other suggestions that may help to keep me on track?

I was the same way! For years! Only it was more than 1 wine....

Then I asked myself:
    how many hours between end of workday and time for bed? A few....just a few....maybe 3 or so

Next I asked myself, well it's only really about 3 hours. Can I not drink wine for 3 hours?
    Yes, of course, anybody can. It's only a few hours! Even if I run into uncomfortable cravings or irritability, it's really only a few hours.........

So how?
    I bought myself some AF beer from Total Wine (I like cold Moritz with tons of lime) and I drank those while cooking dinner. ...only 50 cals or so....they filled me up.
    Other times it was pure cranberry juice (yes in my wine glass).

After dinner: I made sure to remove myself from the usual drinking environment (my kitchen).Then distracted myself for a few hours watching a movie. If I got a craving, I would have healthy popcorn on hand or a chocolate. It was fine to do since the calories there were still LESS than me drinking 2-plus wines.

Then just repeat the next day.....
  • ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow @MissMay that is really pretty! Love the colors and the movement.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,572 Member
    Options
    @chocolate_owl
    We are here every day.
    We are with you.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,572 Member
    Options
    Hi : - )

I joined this thread November 2018. I was a daily drinker at that point.
    My goals now are the same as they have been since January 2020, kind of my sweet spot.
    16-20 AF days per month
    NO drinking 2 days in a row
    Keep 2 AF days in between drinks days.
    3 is my max or I throw up.

Here goes my diary style:

Friday April 2nd - AF - tomorrow will be too so as to get my 2AF in a row.
    Saturday April 3rd - AF - just trying to stay consistent with my goals.
    Sunday April 4th - Drinks. April showers bring May flowers and all of that. The trails were just...wet. I worked out indoors, got a bunch of little stuff done around the house, then had a few drinks several hours ago followed by water.
    Monday April 5th - AF - easy one to do, busy early workday tomorrow.
    Tuesday April 6th - AF - I got hired for 2 jobs today that I had previously interviewed for. I turned down the one, and I start training on the one that I did pick tomorrow, so AF tonight for sure. It will be a fun job at an East Indian restaurant where I will become a server once the lockdown is lifted. I will learn the ropes and take phone calls for take-out and things like that until then. Less than half of the money of the other job prospects that I had a few weeks ago, but I think that it will be great and it will supplement my other jobs well financially. Good thing that it will be an active job because I love Indian food a little too much : - )
    Wednesday April 7th - AF - Really really wanted to have a few drinks, but I have a video interview in the morning, a busy day with one of my jobs, and then possibly another training shift at the restaurant in the evening. Planned drinks for tomorrow night.
    Thursday April 8th - 2 drinks, didn't even attempt 3. Nice warm feeling, it was a few hours ago. I will be AF for at least 2 now to follow.
    Friday April 9th - AF - I find that I always want drinks the day after having drinks. I don't want to do that though.
    Saturday April 10 - AF - I have another training shift tomorrow, plus I wanted my 2AF days in a row.
    Sunday April 11 - AF -
    Monday April 12 - AF - Not sure where my Sunday post went. I was on day 3 of 6 in a row training shifts tonight - I am not having drinks out of my desire to be sharp and absorb what I am learning. Planned drinks for Thursday night or Friday.
    Tuesday April 13 - AF - Very long day at a few different jobs. A couple of drinks would have been nice, but I am too busy right now to risk potentially not being at my best.

Rolling total: 10 AF days out of 13 days
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Saturday night for the 1 year anniversary there will be a little over 100 people for "eat, drink, dance" theme party. Indoor/outdoor venue 2nd floor deck looking into the tree tops with a live band. My personal plan is no more than 2-3 drinks even though I'll be paying the bar tab for all. Just because I'm buying doesn't mean I have to drink for the full 5 hours! Establishing my alcohol goals now. The day of event coordinator has been instructed to hand water to the bride/groom (their request) and their parents between drinks.
    I have the restaurant serving appetizers as the 2 bars open for the party ... before dinner. I've also requested the bars close 45 minutes prior to the end of the party ... but requested that they continue serving water, tea and coffee as people leave.

Selecting the appetizers was more fun than selecting the wine, champagne, alcohol, etc for the evening.

Hors D’Oeuvres
    * Tuna Tartar Taco / avocado, spicy mayo, lime ponzu, sesame, wonton shell
    * Smoked Quail / bacon wrapped, fire roasted poblano, whiskey barbecue
    * Mac & Cheese Fritter / wild mushrooms, truffle aioli, parmesan, basil
    * Blue Crab / red chile remoulade, pickles, horseradish, grilled country toast
    * Braised Short Rib / sweet potato, chile salsa, red fresno, cilantro, corn tortilla chip
  • globalhiker
    Options
    AF is my new normal and I am doing it because I feel really grounded and really like how I feel. Sleeping better finally too....geez that one took some time.

My AF husband is a bit of a challenge. He slips into the occasional irritability/grouchiness funk for long stretches similar to what I went through in month 2 AF. There's something called Post-Acute-Withdrawal-Syndrome and I think I went through a mild version of that and now he is experiencing a few of the symptoms. We just have to work through it and distract ourselves since it goes away, just the brain re-calibrating. PATIENCE......

@Lilylady3k what day is the big event? It sounds like it's going to turn out AMAZING......! Excited for you...

OK. Today is Wednesday...goal is to make it better than yesterday.....I will force my lazy self to lace up my running shoes and get my butt out the door......
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

@Lilylady3k what day is the big event? It sounds like it's going to turn out AMAZING......! Excited for you...

@globalhiker - My daughter got married last year when everything shutdown in April ... went from a wedding of 180 people down to regulations of only 10 people (we slipped in all the siblings and parents to a total of 13). It was near impossible to even get the marriage license back then because all the county offices closed that week they were trying to obtain it ... calling around to find one open! But the church came through. Restaurants were closed to inside dining so the rehearsal dinner was nixed too. We had parents & siblings at my home for cake and champagne after the small wedding and then a drive by parade of some of the family & friends. Their honeymoon to Greece was cancelled (they are still trying to get reimbursed for the airfare and all the AirBnB did not refund :()

All the planning for the celebration/reception was pushed out to a 1 year anniversary party. While still challenging most of Texas has reopened. The venue is indoor/outdoor with floor to ceiling windows that open for the indoor space ... pretty cool. All but 3 of the older adults attending have gotten their vaccine (their choice to not vaccinate). Majority of the younger adults are vaccinated. Those that were not comfortable yet gathering bowed out.

So the show must go on as they say! This is one of many weddings/anniversary/showers that I'll be attending in April - June this year that were all pushed out. However, the majority I'm not the one planning ... so looking forward to enjoying this party and then filing it away so that I can get into a better routine.