Less Alcohol - MAY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,516 Member
    AF yesterday AND husband cooked an outstanding dinner - Smothered Pork. It's an Indian dish done in a pressure cooker - basically a curry that has yogurt, crushed tomato, onion, ginger, 2 lbs pork, garam masala, that kind of thing. Sorry no pix because I ate it so fast :)

That's one of his best, up there with Korean BBQ chicken thighs. I will have to send you pix and the recipe for that one since it's on the menu this week.

Now you guys know why my weight loss is super-slow.....I eat too well :)

Have faith that if you need a motivation boost, it will come. Supposedly, our moon is in the Waxing Crescent Phase, which supposedly is the ideal time to generate motivation and set goals. That would be today and tomorrow, so take advantage. Go figure, just read this on google.....

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,543 Member
    @Lilylady3k

I love love love your garden pics!
    Thank you for posting those : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Changing my goals as my schedule is changing, but sticking to the 16-20 AF days.

My daily check in:

Sunday May 16 - AF - I begin the Canada Post training tomorrow morning, for 3-4 weeks on top of my other jobs. Need to have a clear head.
    Monday May 17 - AF
    Tuesday May 18 - AF - I actually am enjoying getting up at 2:30am for my newest extra job. Definitely would not be able to have alcohol and feel well at 2:30.

Rolling total: 13AF out of 18 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    @globalhiker
    That smothered pork sounds delish!
    I hadn't heard of any Indian dishes that used pork before. Such a versatile meat.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,542 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy, WOMAN, you are on fire🔥. Question, when do you sleep?
    Your motivation and jump start into new job adventures is blowing my mind.
    Love your mint stash and how you have it in controlled containers. That stuff can take over if allowed.
  • MissMay
    edited May 2021
    @Lilylady3k your gardens are beautious as well
    Is that a salmon colored Gerber daisy I see? And that hydrangea...WOW. Nice job on AF yesterday.
  • MissMay
    18/18 AF so far. Kinda an easy month to do dry.

One little goal achieved is more satisfying than none.
  • globalhiker
    Nice garden @Lilylady3k ! Great to hear DH is running and drinking less too. My husband is still doing AF with me. I thought he would only do it short-term but he seems more convinced than I that he'll just continue being "mostly AF" for life.

Miracles do happen!

Smothered Lamb or Pork is a recipe from Mathur Jaffrey's cookbook. She is a popular Indian actress and cook. We have only made this with Pork since it's fairly fast and easy as far as Indian cooking goes and the calorie load not too bad. We'll make a batch of brown jasmine or brown basmati rice in the rice cooker to go with it. Then add a a green veg or salad on the side. IMO, I think the amount of meat could be cut in half since I just like the sauce itself.

We'll do a double-batch since it's even better the next day.

Here goes:

1 lb lamb or pork loin cut into 1 in cubes
    1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 c finely chopped cilantro
    1-2 hot green chilis cut into fine rings, keep seeds (we use serranos)
    1/4 tsp ground turmeric
    2 tsp garam masala (we use Mother's brand bought online, noticed the brand makes a difference)
    1 tsp ground cumin (we buy the seeds and grind them fresh at last minute in a small grinder)
    1 cup full-fat yogurt/5%, plain, greek style ok
    1 TB tomato paste
    3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
    3 TB vegetable oil (we sometimes reduce to 2TSP)
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    dash of freshly ground black pepper

1. Put all ingredients except oil, garlic, black pepper into a bowl and mix well
    2. Place oil in pressure cooker, set over med high heat
    3. Add garlic when oil hot, stir till brown
    4. Add in the seasoned meat, turn heat to med
    5. Cover pressure cooker and turn heat to med
    6. Cook 15 min at full pressure
    7. Reduce pressure quickly with help of cool water poured on the lid
    8. Uncover, cook uncovered over high heat until sauce it thick, pretty fast
    9. Sprinkle black pepper if desired and stir.

• globalhiker
    @dawnbgethealthy I hope you get enough sleep these days with all your jobs and training!

Yesterday I put in 11 hours of work, already putting myself in the danger zone. Today I will do better. Going out for a reset run now.

MAKE it a great day everyone.......it's all on you :)!