Less Alcohol - MAY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    Margie_11 wrote: »
    Take 3!! This is my third attempt today to write a post without being interrupted.
    Well, May is a tough month for me with the anniversary of the passing of my mum on the 2nd May, Mother's Day without my kids (living interstate) followed by mum's birthday on the 29th May. I've decided to keep my goals achievable this month.
    My goals for the rest of the month is to have two AF days per week, log in my diary each day & try to be kinder to myself. Why is it we can offer support to others, but be so unforgiving & critical of ourselves?

Goodness I am not sure how I missed seeing this post.

We have the same tough issues for May. My Mother was born May 30th and she also passed in May as well.

Keeping a diary or log is so beneficial. I have several places I keep written accountability. Here on this thread, a calendar for fitness and either A or NoA days and mydrinkaware app. I am able to go back to compare month, if I had the energy I would probably make a spread sheet for it all.

Yes please be kind to you, if you do go over your goal for the week. Because there is ALWAYS tomorrow to make a new start. Remember, One Day At A Time. ☺
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    5/1 - 5/7: 7 drinks, 4 AF days
    5/8: 3 drinks
    5/9: 2 drinks
    5/10: AF
    5/11: AF

Was too tired to crave a drink last night and still couldn't fall asleep, sigh.

@MissMay I feel you. I have no advice, but ugh. I'm so grateful for my husband, but that aspect.... Ugh.

@dawnbgethealthy You're not alone in not being able to tolerate red wine, and I know quite a few people who said they had to give it up as they aged. High quality red wine usually doesn't have the additives, but it still has tannins, sulfites, histamines, LTP, anti-fungus polyphenols, and "tail-type" alcohols, all of which can make you varying kinds of sick. And as you get older, your body's ability to process alcohol in general decreases (lower ADH levels, less water in your tissue), so drinking an alcoholic beverage you're already semi-intolerant to is only going to make you feel worse. Moral of the story: drink something tasty that doesn't make you feel bad!

...I write out things like that and realize I am such a nerd.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Changing my goals as my schedule is changing, but sticking to the 16-20 AF days.

My daily check in:
    Saturday May 01 - AF - Working a split tomorrow at the restaurant.
    Sunday May 02 - AF - Planning on AF until Thursday
    Monday May 03 - AF - Early and long day tomorrow, going to try not to have a wee drink afterward.
    Tuesday May 04 - 2 drinks. I didn't make it my 5AF in a row this week like I did the 2 or 3 previous weeks.
    Wednesday May 05 - AF - I had planned to have drinks tomorrow, Thursday, but since I had 2 last night I am re-evaluating.
    Thursday May 06 - 2 drinks. Planned drinks with friends outside tomorrow too. We'll see how I feel after my 1st vaccine of course.
    Friday May 07 - Drinks. No side effects from the Pfizer vaccine : - ) Planned AF until at least Tuesday.
    Saturday May 08 - AF
    Sunday May 09 - AF - Super happy that I was AF last night, turns out I needed to be sharp. I was scheduled 12-3 at the restaurant, ended up staying until 5, went for a hike with quite a bit of elevation, and then went back to work because it was so super busy, like all restaurants are for Mother's Day. We have take-out only in most parts of Canada. Nobody wants Mom's to have to cook today, regardless if it is out for a sit down dinner or takeout. Happy Mother's Day to all, those who have kids and everyone else, because we all had/have Mothers.
    Monday May 10 - AF - Early and possibly long work day tomorrow, easy to be AF tonight. I might have a couple of drinks tomorrow night, we'll see.
    Tuesday May 11 - Drinks. Just in from work, but going to have a couple. Big big changes in my work schedules for 3 weeks starting next Monday.
    Wednesday May 12 - AF - Planned drinks for Friday eve.

Rolling total: 8AF out of 12 days
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    5/1 - 5/7: 7 drinks, 4 AF days
    5/8: 3 drinks
    5/9: 2 drinks
    5/10: AF

First AF day after 3 days in a row of drinking, and I spent a good half of my evening post-gym thinking about having a drink. I'm debating going on a "schedule" of drinks on Fridays and Saturdays with one weeknight being optional (i.e. weeknight happy hour with friends now that such things are possible again), because 3 nights in a row seems to make the cravings worse.

@MissMay My friends and I talked about our pandemic alcohol usage. My husband and my BFF admitted to drinking more, BFF's girlfriend and my other friends didn't change their drinking, and I was the only one who cut back. BFF was like "Who decides to stop drinking during a pandemic?!" and "How do you guys deal with one of you drinking and the other one not??" (Obviously I am still drinking, just not daily, and apparently that's hard to deal with?) Those who have been drinking more or were already pretty heavy drinkers are now able to indulge their habits with other people, and you not behaving like them brings out confusion because how could you NOT want a drink or 5?

@Womona never do hair of the dog! At best, it will shift your hangover to later because it will numb your senses, but it just gives your liver a heavier load to process, and it doesn't help to rehydrate you. For your goals, is setting a weekly or monthly drink limit too broad? Instead of max 1 drink per day, maybe 7 drinks per week would give you some flexibility, which it sounds like you need?

General tips regarding hangovers: if you're getting a hangover despite drinking at a slow pace (1 drink per hour or less) and you're hydrating properly, take a look at what you're drinking. Mass-produced wine and cheap liquor are usually the worst offenders. Most of your big-name grocery store wines (Barefoot, Yellow Tail, etc.) do everything possible to make sure their wine tastes the same year to year no matter the growing conditions, so they put in a ton of additives. I'm very sensitive to them, and a single glass of Barefoot will make me feel like death the next day. Cheap liquor may not be as purified as higher-end liquor, or it may also have additives.

I don't mind laundry, but I also tend to forget about it, and it ends up taking me 3 days to do four loads. My husband? He puts on a four-hour sports car race and bangs it out. He's amazing. He also does the dishes every single night, even if he cooked. He hauls the trash to the dumpster. He cleans up after the cat. I'm so bad at all those domestic duties, and he just takes care of all of it without ever complaining. My tip: train your husbands ;)

You’re totally right about hair of the dog- makes things worse! You know what really helps? A nice Pork Roll, egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll (my Jersey Girl is showing here!).

Really good point about the quality of the wine. I never thought of it! The whole point of wine is that there is variety year to year. I never realized some brands try to make it the same year after year!

We had shots of something called a Neopolitan, like the ice cream. Half Tequila Rose (a strawberry cream tequila) and half Godiva Chocolate liquor. I think the sugar is what exacerbated the hangover- I had the same reaction to Limoncello at the last party.
  • Womona
    edited May 2021
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Well have an appointment with ENT Dr. tomorrow morning. Also had my 2nd covid shot and so far no side effects from it so far. Will keep you posted!

Running total 8 out of 10 days in May AF (tonight will make 9 out of 11)

I never would have thought speech therapy might be required for trouble swallowing due to a sore throat! Good luck with your next go-round with meds. Feel better!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy is that BIG BIG changes in your schedule in a good way for you I hope?
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Woo-hoo....body fat % went down these first 2 weeks from 33% to 32%. Goal for May is to aim for 30%.

Cut back on chocolate and zero drinks this month so far. Eating 2 main meals a day until I get the full signal and limit snacking to one time a day. No snacking after dinner, just 2-3 oz cranberry juice.

I watched a youtube program where a doctor explained one of the 15+ reasons why people who stick to their daily calorie limit often struggle with weight loss, and he called out eating frequency. Every time we consume something, even a chip....or glass of juice...he says insulin, the storing hormone, is released. His idea was to eat less frequently to have fewer insulin surges in a day, and also focus on eating meals until satisfied so the body doesn't think it's deprived and releases hunger signals an hour later. Makes sense. Let's see how this goes.

@chocolate_owl, I am intrigued over this ADH explanation. I did not know this. Read that REM is what increases ADH. We need more REM, the thing is, how do we make that happen? Especially when one's spouse gets up to pee too many times leaving you wide awake.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    Yeah AF again last night, but I have to say it is more having to do with this whole throat pain etc. Last night I thought I could munch on a a few Chili Lime cracker mix.....wrong the spices for the chili was like raw fire going down my sore throat. What was I thinking???

@globalhiker I am a subscriber to just a few meals a day or some days just one larger meal mid afternoon. But I do try to have a bit of a light for 'brunch' like some fresh fruit or a protein drink. But I find my 'full o meter' does not kick in for about 20 minutes into the meal. So I have to really slow down and pause when I get approximately 1/2 through my meal and check on how I am feeling.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Changing my goals as my schedule is changing, but sticking to the 16-20 AF days.

My daily check in:
    Saturday May 01 - AF - Working a split tomorrow at the restaurant.
    Sunday May 02 - AF - Planning on AF until Thursday
    Monday May 03 - AF - Early and long day tomorrow, going to try not to have a wee drink afterward.
    Tuesday May 04 - 2 drinks. I didn't make it my 5AF in a row this week like I did the 2 or 3 previous weeks.
    Wednesday May 05 - AF - I had planned to have drinks tomorrow, Thursday, but since I had 2 last night I am re-evaluating.
    Thursday May 06 - 2 drinks. Planned drinks with friends outside tomorrow too. We'll see how I feel after my 1st vaccine of course.
    Friday May 07 - Drinks. No side effects from the Pfizer vaccine : - ) Planned AF until at least Tuesday.
    Saturday May 08 - AF
    Sunday May 09 - AF - Super happy that I was AF last night, turns out I needed to be sharp. I was scheduled 12-3 at the restaurant, ended up staying until 5, went for a hike with quite a bit of elevation, and then went back to work because it was so super busy, like all restaurants are for Mother's Day. We have take-out only in most parts of Canada. Nobody wants Mom's to have to cook today, regardless if it is out for a sit down dinner or takeout. Happy Mother's Day to all, those who have kids and everyone else, because we all had/have Mothers.
    Monday May 10 - AF - Early and possibly long work day tomorrow, easy to be AF tonight. I might have a couple of drinks tomorrow night, we'll see.
    Tuesday May 11 - Drinks. Just in from work, but going to have a couple. Big big changes in my work schedules for 3-4 weeks starting next Monday.
    Wednesday May 12 - AF - Planned drinks for Friday eve.
    Thursday May 13 - AF

Rolling total: 9AF out of 13 days
  • Womona
    MissMay wrote: »
    @dawnbgethealthy is that BIG BIG changes in your schedule in a good way for you I hope?

Thank you for caring! Yes, it will be good, but it is going to be a juggling act for a month.
    The schedule changes will be temporary.
    I am going into 5 days per week training for Canada Post, 4:30am-8:30am for the next 3 weeks (they like you to arrive at 4:15am). Once I am trained (sorting packages shifts) I will basically be on call/casual, it won't carry on like that every day. It will be very good to get in the door with Canada Post, good money, and possibilities for more shifts down the road, especially in December.
    Once I am finished that in the mornings, I will go do some of my merchandising jobs, then go to work at the restaurant (where I now work 5 days per week) for 10:45, and then go back to finish up any stores on my merch route after 3:15 until they are complete for the day. Next week is very busy for one of my merch jobs which is Movies, as many of the movie fixtures are being changed over for upcoming Father's Day promotions.
    Tomorrow I have a one-off job resetting the Planogram for a gas station (like the pop cooler, chocolate bars, salty snacks, auto stuff etc.), 6 hours beginning at 3pm, which will be later in the evening working than I am used to...however it is $150, so I am happy with that. Easy work, just late.
    In addition, I heard from Statistics Canada (who I worked for on the last Census), and I will be adding that for a month beginning next week. Not really sure where I am going to find the time for that one, but I will somehow.
    When it rains it pours I guess.
    I will have some nice paycheques before my property taxes are due : - )

I will make sure that I get some nutrition for sure so that I am fit and healthy to do this for a month. I put some vitamins (like B12 and stuff) by my workout station lol. Gearing up mentally too.

I get this Saturday off (I will be working Saturdays for StatsCan for sure after this one) and want to get some planting done, grass cut etc., and then I work my split at the restaurant on Sunday (lunch and dinner) and am off to the races for a month.

I was offered a seasonal merch job at a garden centre by another merch friend who I have worked with before for $20 per hour X 20 hours per week, but I sadly had to turn that down because I didn't feel like I could possibly fit it in. I would have loved that type work and enjoy working with her.

Whew!

Ok now I feel like a total slacker! Haha!

Good luck with all these great gigs!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Happy Friday...AF 13/13 days....well I cut out the chocolate but my coffee consumption doubled LOL. Hey, it's one or the other and if one needs to go, I am keeping coffee :).

@dawnbgethealthy great news regarding your job! It's nice to be back at work, isn't it? Sounds like you'll be fairly active so a bonus there.

@lmlmrn I really, really hope you start to feel better soon!

@MissMay your inspirational messages help me.....all the time....they boost my resiliency and empower me and give me a confidence boost, for real.

Just for a moment imagine what May 31st will feel like, think of what accomplishments you made happen and how good that feels...I imagine my future myself and how happy I feel to have gotten closer to my goals.

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy - You are constantly on the move juggling all these jobs! It makes me feel really like a lazy bum. Wish I could help you out with your garden or take on that gardening merch job! I know that you would have really enjoyed it but there are limits and time constraints it sounds like. Good luck!!!!