Less Alcohol - MAY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    JustJenn68 wrote: »
    I haven't touched a drop since the beginning of March.
    So far I've saved $$$ which is being used to for my dream vacation

@JustJenn68 WOW that is a really great AF streak. Congrats. Your right, the money savings is mind blowing. Hmmmm so what is your dream vacation? Mine would be an all inclusive vacation MINUS the free alcohol (that is a set up for disaster in my mind)
  • MissMay
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Lilylady3k it is nice to get out and be gathering again, I agree. Love the "Sisters who Sip" group name. I suppose you could sip whatever you wanted, not only alcohol.🤣

@globalhiker thanks for the Arizonia weather and air information. We are pretty lucky here in Maine with the air quality. I just can't take the snow and cold any longer. Gotta make a change soon.

Heineken00 yesterday.
    AF 5/5
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k it is nice to get out and be gathering again, I agree. Love the "Sisters who Sip" group name. I suppose you could sip whatever you wanted, not only alcohol.🤣

@MissMay - So very true! I've done that in the past and will likely in the future. However for this first gathering and the very unusual cocktails they had available ... decided to indulge.

This week lots of challenges but then next week starting Sunday ... I have none but the usual evening wine bottles to dodge. :) Planning to check off some AF nights toward my 12-16 for the month next week!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,556 Member
    Options
    @MissMay OMG your garden is so lush already!!!
    Mine is still a mess although my peas are now sprouting and my potatoes are planted.
    Kind of jelly!!
    Getting my vaccine tomorrow aft, and then have the full Saturday off, so I am now motivated by your photo : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @Lilylady3k
    That sounds like such a fun time that you had. Really glad that you got to do it : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @globalhiker
    Well, you know that you are completely welcome up here! Warning that we are around the 100F area in the summers, but we do have lots of lakes to cool off in. Also, there are many mountain peaks to climb which will be considerably cooler.
    Can hardly wait until you can come to visit!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    My May Goals:
    16-20 AF days per month.
    Saturday to Wednesday nights AF.
    Allowing myself a few drinks Thursday and Friday nights.

My daily check in:
    Saturday May 01 - AF - Working a split tomorrow at the restaurant.
    Sunday May 02 - AF - Planning on AF until Thursday
    Monday May 03 - AF - Early and long day tomorrow, going to try not to have a wee drink afterward.
    Tuesday May 04 - 2 drinks. I didn't make it my 5AF in a row this week like I did the 2 or 3 previous weeks.
    Wednesday May 05 - AF - I had planned to have drinks tomorrow, Thursday, but since I had 2 last night I am re-evaluating.
    Thursday May 06 - 2 drinks. Planned drinks with friends outside tomorrow too. We'll see how I feel after my 1st vaccine of course.

Rolling total: 4AF out of 6 days
  • Lilylady3k
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @MissMay - Love your garden!!! Beautiful weather for sitting outside and enjoying the view.

@dawnbgethealthy - Very glad that you are now able to get the vaccine up there in Canada ... know it has been a challenge.

Virtual Whiskey Experience was fun. I stayed in the background as this was DH's company hosting a customer event ... there were presentations for about 45 minutes product presentations + Q&A and then an expert walked us through the whiskey experience. He was very very knowledgable. 5 glasses each with less than a shot which DH & I shared. I sipped each one for the comparison. We walked through trying to describe what it tastes like, his background info, guessing who makes it, family background of the company, etc. Then he revealed what it was.
    1. Glen Morangie - Highland Scotch single malt
    2. Tullamore Dew Original - Ireland blended whiskey
    3. High Creek - Canada single grain whisky
    4. Makers Mark - US Kentucky bourbon
    5. Labelled A or B and we had to guess which one of the above it was

After that Italian dinner out with 2 glasses of wine. Ran into friends (her birthday 65 years). It was a nice evening. Kept DH from opening a bottle of wine when we got home. Made decaf coffee + lots of water.
  • MissMay
    Options
    I need to get in on this talk about shoes. Last Summer I began coming home after work and my feet would be killing me. Granted, I am over 60 years old doing heavy work. Should not really be an issue since I have always done either garden/hardscape, construction or excavation.
    Anyhow, I began joking to a good friend that gee my toes are killing me today, my feet must have gotten fertilizer on them from gardening and they are growing, LOL. No matter which shoes from my collection I switched to they were still sore. Over active imagination I kept thinking.
    Then my same friend went to buy shoes at a shoe store. To her surprise the shoe attendant measured her feet and told her she would need a size 9. IMPOSSIBLE she spurtted out. I wear an 8. The attendant giggled and told her as you age the ligaments in your feet relax, you lose fat in your feet and they....well.......stretch out and the size increases.
    GREAT only another thing I can add to my I am getting older list, BIGGER SHOE SIZES. As if a size 9.5 all my life was not embarrassing enough.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 wine
    5/2 - AF
    5/3 - AF
    5/4 - AF
    5/5 - 1 beer
    5/6 - AF

I actually made it to the gym last night! It felt good. Still trying to iron out a lifting routine I'm happy with, especially for legs, but I think I'm getting closer.

Wine planned with dinner tonight, and I'm going out to dinner with friends tomorrow so there will probably be a drink or few. Going to avoid Party Mode this time... Two of the women in my friend group tend to drink slowly and in smaller quantities, so I'm going to try to keep pace with them and only order another drink if they do.

@MissMay Ah, the trials of aging feet. My mom and I used to be able to share shoes, then she hit her mid-50s and went up a size. My dad has been working at Home Depot since the pandemic started (he was bored, I guess) and it's taken a toll on his feet. His toes were bruising, and he was recently diagnosed with predislocated toe syndrome, so now he has to buy one specific brand of shoe with an ultra-wide toe box. This is probably my fate in 30 years :D

@Lilylady3k Since my last brand of hiking boots were the Ahnu Montaras from REI and are discontinued now, I can't be much help, but REI is 100% the place to go for that sort of thing. I really wanted the ankle support or I would have gone with a pair of Merrells. And wow, Brooks. We're all super different and there's a shoe out there for everyone! Brooks and I do not get along. Back when all my back problems were just starting up, Run On fitted me and insisted that a pair of Brooks were the shoes for me. I, being a clueless 20-something, assumed they had to be experts and the pain I was experiencing on my runs was just getting acclimated to the shoe. After suffering through about 5 runs/15 miles, they went into retirement. I've tried on other Brooks since then, and generally I find them too heavy and too cushy, no matter the style. But they're an immensely popular brand for a reason - they work well for a lot of people.

I tried on a pair of Pumas (Liberate, I think?) which were insanely lightweight, and I think I would have loved them if I wasn't worried about the super-thin material giving me blisters. I'll probably look over the Pumas more at a store with a larger selection of them. I think I'm gonna spend a loooong time shopping this weekend!
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    May accountability: 2/31 days AF
    Alcohol: 5 days (13 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

5/1 - 4 … 1 beer + 3 wine
    5/2 - 1 margarita
    5/3 - AF
    5/4 - 3 … 2 wine + 1 rum & diet coke
    5/5 - 2 … 1 Morejito + 1 tequila shot. Meeting up this evening with “Sisters Who Sip” for Cinco de Mayo at Be More Pacific - Filipino Kitchen and Bar. Our first monthly gathering in over a year. https://www.bemorepacifickitchenandbar.com/covid-19-menu
    5/6 - 3 … 1 whisky + 2 wine; Virtual Whiskey Experience Tasting w/ DH’s team from work (samples provided)
    5/7 - AF
    5/8 - Hosting Mimosa Brunch Bridal Shower (providing non-alcoholic champagne option)