WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Peach: I’ve been lactose intolerant for many years. There is a product on the market called lactaid. I take a tablet before I eat something with milk in it, such as ice cream. I have a small plastic jar at home and packets in each car. Since the pandemic came along we haven’t done any dining out. The packets in the car have not been needed. :noway: Restaurants here are about 90% closed. They have been hard hit. :ohwell:

I found a little goldfinch dead on our upstairs deck. I buried the poor thing underneath a hardy fuschsia plant below our kitchen window. :cry:

We have done our shopping and are tucked in at home on this gray day. :flowerforyou:

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Mofee1-Congratulations on the weight loss! That is commendable, for sure! I feel your pain with the low calorie limit and inability to do much exercise. I am injured right now and it's difficult (plus, I like to cook and bake).

I have found my bike to be a saving grace right now. Full disclosure: my bike is electric. However, I am using it as a therapeutic tool to heal my knee and it seems to be working that way and for some cardio workout. I don't know much about your condition, so don't know if that would be an option.

Of course, take baby steps. Every bit counts. Also, try to increase your protein intake a bit. A lot of people on here do intermittent fasting, which may help you too.

Good luck! You can do it!

Tina in CA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    I finally went down to 1100. I bet I eat closer to 1200 when I judge my portions by eye, but it works. 1100 is the number where I lose weight. I am very sedentary, for no good reason. Working on that. At least I got out of the house today to buy a Mother's Day plant: asiatic lilies.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    👋🏻 Just saying Hi. Maybe soon I’ll feel like spending time on a screen after work.

Lisa - I just had to comment about hearing your Mom’s voice. My Mom bought one of those story books that you can record yourself reading for my Grandson. It’s Frosty the Snowman, but it stays out year round and I always love when the kids play it.

Tracey
  • Mofee1
    Mofee1 Posts: 12 Member
    Anniesquats. Thanks for your comments. I measure/weigh every bit of food and drink that goes into my mouth, so that's not a problem. I am absolutely vigilant and I am committed. I just googled "losing weight after age 60" and the consensus is that individuals over age 60 should not eat less than 1200 calories a day or risk nutrient loss. Ugh!!!!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💤
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Recorded with my friend for virtual choir today. I think this is going to continue for a while more even though we may get to go back to church I don't think we will get to sing in groups for some time yet.

Got some yard work done and some walking in. I am looking forward to going to the pool tomorrow. DD and I were trying to move a very large mirror that our last tenant left behind and unfortunately it broker into two pieces. I suspect we may end up breaking into smaller pieces and dumping it in the trash.

Heather - Glad you are getting to see the DGKs again. Your floor looks lovely. How old is your house?

Katla - Do you have plans to go riding again soon?

Penny - Good to see you posting again.

Allie - Hang in there and listen to what these wise ladies say.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    May
    -- vote today
    -- online conference at work starts tomorrow
    -- pilates every Tuesday
    -- 50 km bicycle ride one day this month and other shorter rides, of course
    -- 5 km running event on May 23 and some training runs
    -- climb height of Mt Wellington in stairs.
    -- start 9 day (7.6 hours per day) fortnights this month at work
    -- design at least one 50 km cycling route
    -- book service for treadmill
    -- plant spring bulbs
    -- create skills list
    -- and see how I progress on the rest of my 2021 list.

Pilates day today. :) She ran my hamstrings through their paces today, as usual. I've got cyclist's hamstrings: short and tight.

Also, at work, a group of us are doing another stair climbing challenge. We determined the height of Hobart's mountain, Mt Wellington, and calculated how many flights of stairs it would be to "climb" Mt Wellington = 353 flights of 20 stairs. So we're doing Mt Wellington May! I am at 36 flights so far and aiming to do at least 20 flights of 20 stairs each working day.

I think I've successfully designed a 50 km route for us to cycle in May. Tonight I'll see where I'm at with these 50K routes - I've been working away at all kinds of different ideas. I want a total of 12 of them, at least, and I'd like about half in southern Tasmania and half in northern. Designing routes in northern Tasmania is a piece of cake - so many good roads for cycling. Designing routes in southern Tasmania is difficult - so many poor roads for cycling. I need to tidy up what I've got and then do another one for northern Tasmania for June. :)

Regarding rosemary ... I think we've got rosemary hedges, but I could be wrong because I don't know plants very well. I'll post a picture later

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    COVID stats ... hang in there, it's not over yet.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited May 2021
    Glad you are safe, Lisa! <3 We had strong winds last night but no tornados. My worry is always about the aerial. Hope the electricity comes back on for you soon.

We are scheduled to connect the printer after lunch. My adrenaline is surging already and I haven't had breakfast yet! :sad:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Sue: I hope to be able to ride Arrow in the future, but am not sure when. Last time I saw him he needed a farrier, foot trim & shoes. I brushed him & led him for a pleasant walk. 🐎
  • Katla49
    (((Lisa))): I hope the tornadoes do not cause serious damage to your home & property.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Recorded with my friend for virtual choir today. I think this is going to continue for a while more even though we may get to go back to church I don't think we will get to sing in groups for some time yet.

Got some yard work done and some walking in. I am looking forward to going to the pool tomorrow. DD and I were trying to move a very large mirror that our last tenant left behind and unfortunately it broker into two pieces. I suspect we may end up breaking into smaller pieces and dumping it in the trash.

Heather - Glad you are getting to see the DGKs again. Your floor looks lovely. How old is your house?

Katla - Do you have plans to go riding again soon?

Penny - Good to see you posting again.

Allie - Hang in there and listen to what these wise ladies say.

Everyone take care Sue in WA

Sue. - Broken mirror art is a thing! If you happen to be a member of Freecycle, it is likely someone will come to your house and happily take away your broken mirror! On a lark, I posted a box of broken glass pieces (not mirror, though) and it was claimed the same day with 2 other people willing to take it if the first person didn’t show. It was an eye opener.

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lisa. - So glad you and the house are intact!

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Good morning,
    Overwhelmed again (still). Up really early. Laundry going. Work paperwork going. Have to go vote. Forgot to get absentee ballot 🤔 Soaking in tub and Epsom salt. Dang yeast! Apparently, I really need to get back to eating right and taking my probiotics.......

Mofee try bumping up your calories for a day or two. It makes your body rethink, I believe. I am still bouncing between 124-126. Really need to get back to 115, but it just hasn't been top priority.

Lisa HUGS! Hope everyone is safe. Buildings can be fixed.

Time to get back to work.
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio praying for a slow work day
  • Machka9
    Rosemary ... or what? Is this rosemary or if not, do you know what it is? We've got two huge hedges of it and it smells incredible (good) when my husband prunes it.

p5jwinb80mod.png

efadnp6vq39m.png

hm82la8k504v.png

8vkncpaz1a2h.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Interesting night here... tornadoes touched down within a mile or two of us, and the high winds took down half of one of our larger trees out front. We knew it was old and partially dead, and we had pruned some of the larger branches that overhung the house, thank goodness. The high winds took another big chunk of it down, but from what I can tell in the rain and the dark, no damage to the house. Or at least no major damage, fingers crossed.

Corey and I are fine and Egg slept through most of it. I'm still awake three hours later, my adrenaline is just now beginning to subside. Flying glass happens to be one of my few phobias--so I don't worry about the roof blowing off, just the windows shattering. Should definitely swap those fear priorities - the courthouse roof in downtown Van Buren, about seven miles from us, was blown off in the high winds, though they're not saying a tornado actually hit.

No electricity, of course, but I can see a house near us that does, so hopefully they'll get repairs done soon. We're north of the tornado damage, so we may be lower on the list. Hope no one got hurt. Am going to get off this laptop and hotspot to preserve my batteries - I'll get Corey to drag the generator out and fire it up in the morning if the electricity is still off. That will at least let me get the freezer and fridge plugged in, and cellphone and laptop batteries recharged.

Funny what gets important.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa, all in one piece in tornado alley, USA

Scary ... glad to hear you're OK!!