WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Michele - yes the water will get in it, but most of the time I use one candle at a time so it doesn’t affect me. If I don’t use the full candle for some reason I do move it under cover, but even the times I’ve forgotten I just pour the water out give it a bit to dry and light it again.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We had a visit from the man who will be taking away our microwave and oven that quit working a month ago and installing the new microwave and oven that is waiting in the garage. I am looking forward to getting my kitchen back to full function. I think the installation will happen in the next week or so. The sooner, the better. ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, St. Tim’s, returned banker’s call, district prep and board meeting, county ARP project info to Chief and President.
    Bonus: BiMart, picked up form at bank, scanned with Joe’s signature and emailed back, 1 hour filing and decluttering keyboard, veg prep.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, dogs to GB for nail trims, chiro, meeting minutes, reconcile Medicare part B statements, review June council minutes, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, transcribe district volunteer forms, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    13-Challenge negative thoughts, find an alternative interpretation: ugh. Thankful to be able to move right now.
    14-Get outside and move to help clear your head: took a break from filing to walk dogs down to powerline. Good for my attitude.
    15-Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step: bring that step average back up to 6701 by walking every night to goal plus 100. Did tonight, brought average up 6636 

Slept in a little, was late to T’ai Chi. Soon as I started doing the Qi Gong I noticed that my stiff neck had eased tremendously. Either it enough time finally elapsed, or blue berries and aspirin are a miracle cure :laugh:

Karen in VA, except for the focused expression, I can really see you in her face. Thanks for the smiling pics, I was gonna ask… ;)
    Carol Joe took his van in to be worked on Tuesday. Guess it’s that time of year ;)
    Katla the banker needed us to sign just one more form. Done and dusted, fingers now crossed.
    Welcome @pcn7 Pat! At the top right of the page, just above the magnifying glass, there is an “empty” star. Click it and it turns yellow. To see a list of your bookmarks, click the gray star between the bell (notifications) and the gear (settings) at very top right. Ah I see pip gave you a picture, worth a thousand words!
    Michele I had good luck with “Off” wipes at mosquito infested Women’s retreat in the Sawtooths several years. Had a little battery operated fan that I set next to my pillow and ran while I slept, it helped too. 4 bags of groceries in 20 minutes, are you training for Guy’s Grocery Games?
    Welcome back Pat C in OH! That must have been some spider :rage:

Neck ache started back up, time for an aspirin and some zzzzzs
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh/wii: 14/0/0; steps>6701=6847, vits=11.75, log=14, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=13, Tumble=10, Shadow=12, mfp=14, outside=18, up hill=14, clean 10=7.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=2 PW=1. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11: 142.9 grr! 7/18
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Katla49
    Allie—I have known several people who use C-Paps on a regular basis. My son uses a C Pap. William Shatner advertises them on TV. I think they are invaluable for those who need help breathing while they sleep. Let us know how you like it. 🌹
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    July Plans

• Pilates - about once a week.
    • Audax meeting and "work" - that's the long distance cycling club of which I'm President (and hold several other positions).
    • Designing two 50 km routes for Audax. These need to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance.
    • Run a 6.2 km event on July 24.
    • Climb Mount Ossa again virtually as part of a stair climbing challenge. Mt Ossa is the tallest mountain in Tasmania (1617 metres = 450 floors * 20 stairs/floor).
    • Back to school! I'm taking a 5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' . It's all online and work-at-our-own-pace with no formal assignments, exams, etc. I am about halfway through and will finish it in July.
    • Bees! My husband and I are booked for a refresher course about bees.
    • My husband's medical appointments.
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc. I've got 4 projects on the go right now and I "switch-task" between them.

That's all in addition to almost full-time work (data) and caring for my husband who has a severe traumatic brain injury and heart issues (heart attack in May).

Machka in Oz

Middle of the month!
    • Pilates - our classes have come to an end for now but we've got a Pilates Reformer in our home gym so we'll start using that.
    • Audax Meeting - done. I've got a little bit of work to do at some point but not much.
    • Designing Routes - really tricky in southern Tasmania. Still researching.
    • Cycle 50K - not yet. Vaccines have got in the way.
    • Run 5K - not yet. Hopefully this weekend.
    • Running Event - postponed till August.
    • Stair Climbing Challenge at work - coming along nicely.
    • Back to School - last module today or this weekend. The course has been really good.
    • Bees - refresher course this weekend.
    • Husband's Medical Appointments - booked and we're moving through them one at a time.
    • My List - I've done just a few things, not many. I haven't had the energy.

Machka in Oz

Finished my Understanding Brain Injury course! :)

Over halfway through the stair climbing challenge! :)

Missing my family today. Possibly because I've got some Canada photos coming up as my desktop background. And there's a house for sale right near where my parents live which I would consider if we were able to go there. And I miss the long summers, beautiful weather and gorgeous cycling roads.

Machka in Oz ... stuck on my island way down south.
  • Katla49
    Machka— I have very fond memories of various sailing adventures in British Columbia, Canada. The people were nice everywhere we went. We travelled by boat there in several different years, down the Columbia River, up the Coast, into the San Juan Islands in Washington State and the Gulf Islands of BC. ❤️ I miss those adventures and remember them fondly.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2021

What do you think of this?

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/02/08/Gaining-a-few-pounds-in-middle-age-may-actually-be-good-for-health/7351612794477/

"For people with normal weight in early adulthood, moderate weight gain into overweight in later adulthood is associated with lower [death] risks compared to those who remain in the range of normal weight over the course of adulthood," said study lead author Hui Zheng, an associate professor of sociology at Ohio State University.

"modest extra body weight in old age, including lean tissue mass and fat mass, might provide protection against nutritional and energy deficiencies, metabolic stresses, the development of wasting and frailty, and loss of muscle and bone density caused by chronic diseases such as heart failure," Zheng said."
  • Machka9

What do you think of this?

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/02/08/Gaining-a-few-pounds-in-middle-age-may-actually-be-good-for-health/7351612794477/

"For people with normal weight in early adulthood, moderate weight gain into overweight in later adulthood is associated with lower [death] risks compared to those who remain in the range of normal weight over the course of adulthood," said study lead author Hui Zheng, an associate professor of sociology at Ohio State University.

"modest extra body weight in old age, including lean tissue mass and fat mass, might provide protection against nutritional and energy deficiencies, metabolic stresses, the development of wasting and frailty, and loss of muscle and bone density caused by chronic diseases such as heart failure," Zheng said."

I'd say ... it depends!

And I'd also add ...

"But two outside experts cautioned that the findings are not a license to pack on the pounds, as study participants who started off obese and continued to gain weight over the years were actually least likely to survive into old age."

"Dr. Scott Kahan, director of the National Center for Weight and Wellness in Washington, D.C., summed it all up succinctly.

"A lot of weight gain is unhealthy, but a little weight gain in an otherwise healthy life is perfectly fine," he said.

So how can you tell if you're putting on too much weight?

"If you are gaining too much weight, your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are likely going up, and that suggests it may be too much weight gain," said Kahan, who wasn't part of the study.

It's also how you feel.

"If your back and knees are hurting all the time and you are limited in what you can do because your weight weighs you down, that's another indication that weight loss may be helpful," Kahan said. "This is an important study, but don't go overboard and say it's OK to gain weight. Try to be healthy and moderate your weight.""

I rather suspect that they're talking about people gaining to the top end of their normal BMI or slightly above.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Yes, it's been known for some time now that it is protective to older people, especially women, not to go too low a weight in their older years. Bone health, for one, seems better in those who are st the top of the normal range, or just slightly above. Feeling healthy and being active is the key, as is eating well. Squeezing into a size 4 is not the point and can lead to frailty.

Having said that, I am delighted to announce that I have lost 1 lb this week. :D I just want to get back to the top of the normal range, so not far to go.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,370 Member
    B)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    Good morning!
    Fridge day! Yay! Will go fill dishwasher here shortly and empty old fridge. Need to wipe it down. DH asked why as they are disposing of it. To me it would be like leaving a dirty rental just because the owners would be painting or remodeling when I left. Um. No. Will wipe down.

Extra pounds....I believe a few extra is good for me. I said a few. I was around 100 pounds up until 1998 when I quit waitressing. I have NO desire to be that thin again as I think it will age me horribly. I do need to lose about 10-15 pounds again to feel good though. My body is not happy right now.

Bloodwork tomorrow for physical next week.

Have a BLESSED DAY!
    ❤🦋
    Kylia in Ohio where the sun is suppose to shine today
  • bananasandoranges
    edited July 2021

I rather suspect that they're talking about people gaining to the top end of their normal BMI or slightly above.

M in Oz

That's me! I was more at the middle or low end of BMI past 25 years and now am at the top, top, which definitely makes me have extra in the middle.
  • bananasandoranges
    Yes, it's been known for some time now that it is protective to older people, especially women, not to go too low a weight in their older years. Bone health, for one, seems better in those who are st the top of the normal range, or just slightly above. Feeling healthy and being active is the key, as is eating well. Squeezing into a size 4 is not the point and can lead to frailty.

Having said that, I am delighted to announce that I have lost 1 lb this week. :D I just want to get back to the top of the normal range, so not far to go.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes I remember some of you saying that, and I have found it super-difficult to go back to my mid-BMI weight. It feels overly effortful. Interesting about bone health. Also less likely to waste away they say, for some illnesses there can be quick weight loss. My mom was very obese for at least a couple of decades, and lost like half her weight at 55 when she had untreated kidney cancer. I don't know how that would have worked out if she had been less heavy- maybe she would have caught it sooner too.
    I don't seem to have the energy or the time or both to get as much exercise as many of you do.

I would like to not have so much extra around the middle.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Yes, Julie, I'm hoping to shave something off my 'rolls'! :o I find them uncomfortable and I'm self-conscious about them. Having said that, I don't think anyone except me is bothered. :laugh:

Singing Zoom today, plus Waitrose delivery.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :|
  • Machka9
    Me now, at 54 ...

gkpw51apn34r.png

Me in 2016, at 49 ...

eekajkcvpqbh.png

Most of my life, I was about the weight I was at 49 ... slim.

However, when I was about 42, I started to gain weight very slowly, and then lose a bit, then gain slowly. Finally in February 2015, I had enough and I lost the weight.

In 2016, I kept the weight off and dramatically increased my activity level ... the same in 2017 and early 2018. My husband and I were in full-fledged training mode for ultra cycling events in early 2018.

And then it all came to an end.

I slowly gained weight over the next year and have pretty much maintained since.

I don't know if I'll get back down to the weight I was most of my life, but I would like to drop some.

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Allie my mom named her C-Pap Margaret because I nagged her into getting it. I wouldn't travel with her because she snored so badly. I should have paid for a separate room. She had afib too. It made a big difference for her when she used it. She no longer fell asleep at the breakfast table. She did get so bad she would fall asleep if she sat in any spot too long.

Dangerous for driving. That was another long battle to get her to see driving was not safe...her afib, sleeping, she didn't see very well, balance was off. Giving up driving was the hardest thing for her to do. Necessary. Fortunately she only had fender benders near the end. These accidents were also a sign time to find other ways to get around.