I did it.
    🤣
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Spray bottles that give up spraying after a few uses. Plastic food bottles that have tops on so tight, you can't open them without pliers.

Lol, I feel your pain.

As a former hairdresser, I can tell you that I always save 1-2 empty bottles & all working spray tops. Clean them first by filling up any clean container with hot water, then spraying continually to remove all residue from the tubing. I do it a couple of times. Then just store them... may not need 1 for 2-yrs, but eventually, you'll be happy you stuck them under the bathroom cabinet.

With tight bottle tops...

giphy.gif

Why a former hairdresser? My daughter just graduated from high school and for the past few years all that she's talked about is going to beauty school. She starts on September 8th. I really hope it's everything she's ever dreamt of or imagined. She's getting the full hair, skin and nails.

I did the same, hair, skin & nails. Congrats to your daughter. I hope it's a good career for her & she enjoys it.

I became a HD, basically, as a backup career... if I ever lost a job or needed something quick, I could work in a salon & for the most part, that's how I've worked in the industry... short jaunts. I've been licensed in 8+ states over the years... rarely working in them... the licenses were just in case. Now licenses are hundreds of dollars not tens, so I just retain my original state's license. As an aside, should she not enjoy it, but takes her state boards & becomes licensed, persuade her to not let her license expire... she may use it down the line... I have & have been grateful for it.

I worked freelance in TV/film as my 1st career (hair, makeup) & loved it, but... jobs can be scarce & I never could adjust to having to pound the pavement for work, every time a job ended. That stress is a lot for a teen, living on her own, in big cities.

Working in a shop isn't for me. I've always moved around so much, I couldn't afford to work for commission or booth rental, while building a clientele, so worked in "chop shops"... the $15-20 haircutting places. The vast majority of hairdressers work for those Great Clips/Fantastic Sams type of places. Hourly pay is very low & tips can be, as well, mainly as people go to those shops as they can't afford anything else, or they are frugal... either way, they often don't tip well.

Look up the BLS stats on hairdressers. Shop owners average $50K/yr. Hairdressers, $23K. And, the industry is changing. Big companies like Sola Salon Studios are putting small shops out of biz... they're giant bldgs with floors of booth rentals for hair, skin, nails, massage. Hard to make it if you're paying $500-1K/mo for a top floor rental & relying on walk-ins. Most won't go past the 1st or 2nd floors & you've got 100 other pros as competition.

And, even in small towns where some have at-home shops installed in their basements, I've known very few who work regularly... it's mostly a hobby as they're a stay-at-home mum & wife, who doesn't need to feed the landlord monthly... hubby's paying the bills.

If she intends to live in the same city after school, she can take that time to build a clientele & then maybe work in her own shop down the line. I know a few who did just that, but they lived in very small communities, with a shop with the greatest location... a stand-alone where clients could easily pull-in off the road... where there wasn't any competition.

I've taken many advanced classes over the years, so I've always kept my hand in it... it's more a hobby & I've saved piles of money doing everything to my own hair. If I could have made more $$$ out of school, I might have more seriously considered it as a career, but I couldn't survive on slightly above min wage + tips, before taxes. Now with the internet & social media as a way to advertise & apps to make it easy for clients to schedule & pay, there's a definite advantage. It's a different world.

One word of advice. Instruct your daughter, once trained, to not do freebies. People should pay for her time & expertise. Decades of free cuts & colors & perms ruined the fun in it for me. With apps, she can have her friends schedule appts with her (just to get used to using it), ask them to refer others to her & maybe that will give her a head start. Legally, you cannot charge without a license & in most states, you can't work in a non-registered place (MA is an exception, where I lived for a long time), but she can accept gratis... so, she's just accepting gifts... but, look up that info via school or through the state board first... every single one of them differs, sometimes vastly.

As an example, MA allows mobile salons (meaning, a licensed HD can visit a person's house or venue to do services for a wedding or event... the HD is mobile... I did that for years by doing hair for TV/film... I worked in non-registered "salons", on site), but mobile salon in most other states is literal (a bus outfitted as a salon & licensed by the state... they're like food trucks... going from location to location). Most states don't allow HDs to service clients outside of a registered salon, even for a wedding at the venue.

If she can use that work-around in your state, have her keep meticulous records of gifts & expenses & if she makes above the limit where one must declare income & pay taxes, do it. I knew 1 young mum who had to shut down her non-registered, at-home shop in PA, as someone reported to the board that she was running a shop out of her home. I get it, it's what's required, but she was agoraphobic & trying to make a living, so I did sympathize. (As a note to that last story... her husband built a legal shop in their basement so she could work).

Good luck to your daughter. I hope she does well!

Wow words of wisdom, thank you! I need to try to bookmark this because it's a lot of interesting, useful information. She'll graduate on 10/19/2022, if she follows the program and she is in PA. She's awful with money, absolutely awful. Nothing like me, and I taught her to save her money at a very early age but she no longer saves anything even though she easily could as she's living with my father and works and pays only a car payment and car insurance. She has the nicest nails, hair, and a beautiful wardrobe, though. I appreciate you sharing your experience and advice and I appreciate your well wishes!

Char...

Here's PA's State Board of Cosmo link for future reference. PA's a good state for a HD license, as it's reciprocal with many other states given the 1,250-hrs schooling, if your daughter ever wanted to work in another state.

https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/Cosmetology/Pages/default.aspx

If you ever have any q's, send me a DM. With schooling, it all differs & I went over 20-yrs ago in another state, so things have changed... I wouldn't be much help with answers about that but could guide you in the right direction.

Thank you!
  • MrAPFit84
    MrAPFit84 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This Texas weather today :(
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I had hoped my twisted knee would feel better not worse. Luckily dad had spare crutches laying around.. Being injured irks me 😫

I hope it heals soon for you.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I had hoped my twisted knee would feel better not worse. Luckily dad had spare crutches laying around.. Being injured irks me 😫

I hope it heals soon for you.

Thank you 🙂
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options

Injuries are (kitten kitten kitten)
    All sympathy heading your way.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    Smug people.
    ‘nuff said.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

Thank you 🙂
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Thank you 🙂

Oh a Twisted knee; just sent you a PM and thought you'd said ankle. :/ I just hope all your hurting body parts feel better very soon!!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Thank you 🙂

Oh a Twisted knee; just sent you a PM and thought you'd said ankle. :/ I just hope all your hurting body parts feel better very soon!!

Thank you Reenie 🤗
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    The “Is this available” auto reply on Facebook marketplace. Open messenger to find like 50 of these 😬😬😬.
  • Peachesand_cream
    Peachesand_cream Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I stopped to pick up a salad for lunch bc tryna erase all the bad things I did over the weekend and I decided to do a slight jog thingy through the grocery store bc I needed a fork to eat said salad and the plastic forks which I despise eating from are all the way down aisle 15 and are dirt cheap bc cheap and I park my car to eat my lunch and open up my salad and bam there's a plastic fork waiting for me on top of my bed of romaine and now I'm out 79 cents with a box of 24 forks I'll never ever use
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Effing 25# snapping turtle that’s eating all my fish…

Time for suns out buns out poolside.

9dyt8k2kth1k.jpeg
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    tmanfive wrote: »

9dyt8k2kth1k.jpeg
    Dang. Did it pull the swivel open? That's some serious pull!
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    tmanfive wrote: »

9dyt8k2kth1k.jpeg
    Dang. Did it pull the swivel open? That's some serious pull!

Sho did. Had him with a 3/0 hook. He’s a beast.