September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - Your recount of your morning adventures made my eyes leak! That was so nice of you.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

^^^DOUBLE THIS^^^
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    9-1 7k easy
    9-2 rest
    9-3 4k slow
    9-4 4k sloooooooow
    9-5 4k easy
    9-6 4k moderate
    9-7 4k moderate
    9-8 rest
    9-9 rest
    9-10 4k slow
    9-11 4k moderate
    9-12 4k easy
    9-13 rest
    9-14 4k easy
    9-15 4k easy
    9-16 rest
    9-17 4k easy

September Total: 54k
    September Goal: 150k

Foggy and mid 60s F today. First 2 ks were almost pain free, so my healing is going well.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 Hattie Larlham ThriveK, Aurora, OH Scratch

I really like that you have nada nada's 😁

Sometimes nadas are as important as the non-nadas. For whatever reason, rest days are things I can do without.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Welcome @bradkcrew very glad you posted here. This is the right place to go on MFP for running advice/questions, from absolute beginner to ultramarathon vets.

I'll defer on the questions at the moment since I've already offered advice in the past in the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group, though not those specific questions, of course.
  • bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @CarsonSurfs Thanks, that is what I figured, but I am going to keep plugging The one size running programs lead you believe that you can make tremendous gains every week, (but of course they don't account for age and fitness level at the onset) so I keep wondering WHAT I am missing.

Oh, and unfortunately the fun hasn't started yet for me--maybe the after party?

@WhatMeRunning You have been greatly encouraging!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew welcome. I agree with @CarsonSurfs don't start out too fast and if you need to walk there is no shame in that game. Definitely treat it like a training run and just enjoy the experience. I never follow a training plan which may or may not be a good thing.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls That's too much, but so true, lol!
    @kathharmonic I only started running two months ago. I have run two 10ks and the 7 miles nonstop. Not sure how I convinced myself a 15k was rational, but I'm in it now!
    @Tramboman Deep...I'll have to ponder that one!

So what I am hearing is, show up and do it...one way or another my body has to move 15k, and it is up to me how quickly I get it over with. Seems pretty straight forward!!! :)

If you can run 7 miles it’s likely you can run 15k - just take it slow and easy and don’t be afraid of walk breaks. Even well-trained runners expect to take walk breaks during longer races. The only real difference between 10k and 15k is fuel. For many people, that’s about when they start to need to take in some sort of fuel such as a gel, gummy, or sports drink during the race.

I did my first half marathon not having run much longer than 10k - got in a couple of 8 mile long runs beforehand, but that was it. Did not die, did not finish last, averaged 12 minute miles in fact which isn’t much slower than my easy pace. I did walk quite a bit. But there’s not that big a jump from 10k to 15k.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew all the advice for your upcoming 15K is sound. With all the other runners and the crowd your body (and mind) will get you through it. Just enjoy the experience. Where is this 15K? I am doing one in that same timeframe in Georgia (the Peachtree Classic).

@quilteryoyo wishing you the best today on your HM. Just keep plugging along and you will make it. Keep happy thoughts and look forward to seeing @Teresa502 at mile 12! That is soooo awesome that she is driving down to meet you there ❣️
  • bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @Scott6255 It's the Boilermaker--most runners have heard of it I think?

@rheddmobile @shanaber Thanks for the support. I have a mental block with the run/walk method and have never utilized it. For me, once I stop to walk even a couple of steps the whole run is void. I am trying to get beyond that so I don't feel like a failure if it happens at the race, but maybe the mindset helps propel me!

I am going to take on a super hilly 10k developmental run this Wednesday It is partly the the most challenging section of the actual course, plus more, and legend has it if you can handle the run you can make the 15k.

I have already upped my calories 100 a day, and am going to edge up another 100 next week I think.

I try to breakdown what my running issue is--it is not pacing, breathing, or pain--it it just fatigue from the very first step every time. Maybe it is food, otherwise I don't have an answer.

Thanks everyone, all of the comments are spurring me on!