WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I found it difficult to get on to the Zoom. Couldn't get the sound up. Neither tablet would do it. In the end I went in via the app and used the I D and password. That worked. It was really a presentation by two guys and some questions. One of the doctors was the inspiration for Doc Martin and is an advisor on the series. There is to be a parliamentary and Lords vote on assisted dying soon.

Feeling so grateful that I've finally got my tablet organised. Tomorrow morning I can get back to my editing. I needed to take the morning to do it, because that is my prime working time. I feel guilty when I use the morning for other things than writing, but sometimes you just have to.

One more decision nagging at me is to finally make the decision about the lunch outing. I will ring my preferred restaurant tomorrow lunch time to discuss the music level with them. The only other time we have been there, they turned it down for me.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Skipped / backed out of camp site spot #3. No one in the office, called, no answer. Finally found our paperwork in a box, no open bathrooms. Someone said they sent out an email last night saying the showers were closed until further notice, we never got an email. Went back to fidalgo bay resort (place where we stayed for the MS Ride and we were able to get a spot, so we are here for 5 nights, then head out to Oregon.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    89pq59m7nobi.jpeg
    di4jempuwfhj.jpeg
    90oockx1x41c.jpeg
    5rbdznnr5bif.jpeg
    ljkfg4wevsc1.jpeg
    Went to visit our financial guys home for dinner. He has. Full fledged/stocked bar in his shop and collectsrepairs jukeboxes and signs which all work! We were playing great music like in the 40’s, and Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman, Andrew sisters, etc, it was fun

I love vintage pinball. You know there is a place in Vegas that has several machines.

We used to own one
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Stress and sleep hygiene - My impression is that they go together, with a good nights sleep you make better decisions, you react in your preferred way easier, and that lowers stress – not that I believe there is any way to eliminate stress, and a bit of stress may not be bad sometimes it is a motivator to get some change to happen.

I also believe that there are 2 kinds of stress “self created” and “stuff happens” the self created is things like my house is not clean enough for company, every card has to be on time, the constant striving for perfect -- stuff happens is illness, accident, unplanned items….

For me about 90% of the time I am up between 4:30-5:30 am and in bed -lights off between 9:30-10:30pm – that gives me about 7 hours a night, I would like 8 but I have not been able to fit that in. And most days by 7-8 pm screens are off, no TV, no computer, and if I am using the phone it is talking on it, not using it as a screen. I will read, stretch, brush the dog, write a note, meal planning, update my to do list…. Basically set things up for the next day and let the day I’m in begin to fade away.

Ok so I read that and I sound like an old fuddy duddy – stuck in her ways and no fun. But honest I am not, but as a working gal – many days have the same rhythm and I have found a rhythm that lets me get a lot done, get sleep and have the mental clarity to say no nicely, to ask for help, to share troubles, Collaborate all things that for me keep self created bad stress at bay.

Kim

I created a blog about sleep hygiene and what works for me:
    Close the spaces to use the link:
    http:// machka.net /2019/11/23/sleep/

I also have a rhythm which I've settled into ...

My husband goes to bed at about 10:30 pm. I turn the TV off, turn the lights down low, put on some of my music, curl up in my chair and take the next hour to finish up some things I want/need to do and/or I might play with Rhody and colour. At about 11:30 pm, I start getting ready for bed and set out my clothes for the next day. Midnight I'm in bed and doing a little reading and ideally by 12:15 am, my light is out.

7:45 am, my first alarm rings ... and by 8:05 I am up. 8:45 am, the bus is pulling up at a location about 400 metres from the house and my husband and I are there. He sees me off and walks back to the house.

6 pm, I get off the bus and my husband is usually there or well on his way to meet me ... and the evening begins.

I would like more sleep, but the only way would be to go to bed earlier, and that would disrupt my late evening routine so I'm not sure how I might go about changing that.

Weekends are slightly different in that I read in bed longer before going to sleep and I stay in bed until I naturally wake up ... often quite late. Then sometimes, I just stay in bed a bit longer dozing and enjoying the quiet and comfort.

On stress, for years I dealt with work stress (deadlines etc.), university stress, and the stress of my husband's situation. I guess in a way the university stress was "self-created" but it was stress I felt I needed to put myself through in order to improve my options.

Now that university stress is gone, it's like a weight lifted off me.

I do have my 2021 list of things to do, but I'm working on them at my own pace. So, for example, Monday and Tuesday evenings, I coloured and didn't work on my list because I didn't feel like it.

I have some deadlines with my husband's situation so last evening, I dealt with something related to that. And I have some deadlines with my cycling club, but as I mentioned, I've made sure that others in the club can do what I do so if I'm having trouble meeting a deadline there for one reason or another, I can ask someone else to help.

And ... at the end of the month I'm going into hospital for a day procedure, so I'm taking the next day and maybe the one after as rest days where I plan to sleep lots, read, and not do much. With any disruption to the body, even basic dental work, I plan a very relaxing evening or day or days after to recover ... I don't schedule anything or anything extra into that time.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Went for my evening walk. My right hip is hurting. Hopefully, rest tonight will heal it. Then again, it takes longer for us to heal

Rebecca – hope your oven gets fixed real fast. Can you grill?

Anne DE – good for you!

M – when Vince worked for Mars, what they did was have a “punctuality” bonus. If you clocked in on time, you got the bonus. Even the Mars brothers clocked in! This ensured that people were there for a 9a.m. meeting.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    Beautiful day for a run! I was working on speed with this run so I also did warm up and cool down walks.

Distance: 3.16km
    Elevation: 10m
    Moving Time: 24:29
    Elapsed Time: 25:16
    Pace: 7:44/km
    Calories: 312

4cudj36piyc6.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    @KJLaMore ... congrats on the licensing!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Kelly,You've worked hard to get your licensing. Congrats on a great outcome.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Managed AT LAST to get a restaurant booked for the October lunch. Phew! I rang a restaurant I liked and told them my problem. With a bit of to-ing and fro-ing and a slurry of emails, our host has booked it and confirmed the music detail. Hooray! They were very nice and helpful.
    It's the Gingerman in Brighton if anyone wants to look it up!

Allie - Your bolthole sounds wonderful! Enjoy! <3

Singing Zoom in 15 mins.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Kelly congratulations on your license!😁

Annie in Delaware
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I think my physical exhaustion is having more impact on my mood than visa versa.
    Plus the covid thing has not been easy for me.
    etc, etc.

when i went to meetings this past week i was just exhausted. just being in meetings. almost unbearable. :|
    In 2 cases i left briefly (big meetings with more than 50 people). in one it was impossible. or not timely.

Bananas,

I, too, find physical exhaustion to be a huge damper on mood. As with most people, physical exhaustion for me is multifactorial and morphs over time, but my suspicion is that sleep hygiene may be more important and more elusive for me than some of the other factors under my control. I need to work on it.

I have been reading your posts for awhile, now, and I would like to say 2 things to you, Bananas:

1) You are brilliant and insightful and complex and amazing and worthy, and I am sorry you struggle. I do too.

2) Meetings are deadly. Period.

Karen in Virginia

thanks Karen!

I also realised we were at least 50 in each meeting with masks and though I'm not anti mask nor anti vax I often feel uncomfortable wearing masks for long hours - and in these rooms the ventilation is not good ! I felt a bit nauseous!

interesting about sleep. I used to be a top notch sleeper till about the age of 45!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, finish board meeting minutes, dogs to powerline, log into derm’s portal and update rx, recycling, load bottles in car,
    Bonus: veg prep, review firetruck transport contract.
    Get to do: take BP, finish packing bag, GP BottleDrop, Medford Derm, JCP, GP Winco, Medford TJs & Natural Grocers, dogs to powerline, call pc guy to schedule tuneup, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    September
    15: Find a coping, calming phrase to use when you feel low: “… Thou hast holden me by my right hand…”
    16: Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly: “…beloved child of God…”

‘nother low step day but CI<CO thanks be. Just skimmin’ as time to get going on my Medfort junket. Hoping the little something on my mouth turns out to be nothing. Will be reading on my phone so not responding much the next few days.

KJ "wanted to smack" your dh for leaving you alone at the party. At first I laughed, then sent ((hugs)). So telling. :cry:
    Julie Glad you got that video off your list. “clear communication is key”, “clear about rates” and “have no space in my life for tempermental MDs” Truth!!! Sounds like her practice emphasizes aesthetics more than cancer/medical treatment.
    Heather :love: the sea like silk pic. Reminds me of the view from commuter bus back when I worked in SF.
    Karen “Meetings are deadly. Period.” :laugh: Truth too! One of the many joys of retirement is that I now have only two meetings a month, both by choice and only one in person.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: leaner/stronger/kinder than August.
    daily: sit with Joe:16, weigh/wii: 15/0/0; steps>7222=3689 vits=14, log=14, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=13, Shadow=14, mfp=14, outside=16, up hill=14, clean 10=8.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=, Wed:TC=1, PW=1, Thurs: TC=5mins, Fri:TC=1.33, Sat:PW=2, rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/5:140.2 9/12: 9/19: 9/26: 9/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=7, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

yes, I agree. she says she's 50% aesthetic and 50% health but I'm not convinced!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) When I meet my friends, it is for a walk. I won't sit and talk or meet for a meal or beverage. I frequently attend meetings on Zoom using my phone with my camera off and take a walk or work in the yard during the meeting. They are not meetings for work, so no one can fire me for having my camera off.

:) When asked to do something I don't want to, I say, "Sorry, that won't work for me."

:)Meetings are deadly The last few years I work, the administrator had this bright idea that we should sit in a circle facing each other without tables so there was no place to put a beverage or your elbows or a notepad. Those meetings were extra deadly.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

at one major newspaper - I long ago gave 10 weeks of private classes to the editor of one of the sections. he said they would have standing meetings every morning (to choose the news of the day to print) - soas as to avoid them being too long. I think they kept it to 20-30 minutes. had been doing this since the founding of the newspaper 20 years previously