WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Tracey- "pug rock band" :D. Lololol. I love your grandson!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    :) When I meet my friends, it is for a walk. I won't sit and talk or meet for a meal or beverage. I frequently attend meetings on Zoom using my phone with my camera off and take a walk or work in the yard during the meeting. They are not meetings for work, so no one can fire me for having my camera off.

:) When asked to do something I don't want to, I say, "Sorry, that won't work for me."

:)Meetings are deadly The last few years I work, the administrator had this bright idea that we should sit in a circle facing each other without tables so there was no place to put a beverage or your elbows or a notepad. Those meetings were extra deadly.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

gaaahhh!!!

that sounds like group torture

Karen in Virginia

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Karen - I worry too and unfortunately a few are my friends and family. 😟

I just popped in to share this.
    my99m0jskccy.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Tracey – that’s interesting about not having your hips above your knees. I’m thinking that also refers to someone having their legs crossed (one over the other). What a wonderful birthday!

Karen VA – that’s wonderful about your brother. I worry, too

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    ezraella wrote: Β»
    Hello, I’m on my mind 50s. Starting a journey that I’ve started many times before but hoping the outcome will be different. Looking to connect for inspiration, encouragement, and just plan connection! πŸ˜€
    nbbaby wrote: Β»
    Hello group,
    My name is Sharon.
    This is my first time in this group.
    I'm 53, wife, mother of 3 grown children, grandma to 5 granddaughters. I have disabilities Fibromyalgia, 9 Herniated Discs, Arthritis, asthma, ptsd, anxiety etc... I'm 228 lbs, trying to get to 160 lbs. I've tried everything and am tired of yo-yoing. I have high blood preasure (even though I'm on 2 different BP pills daily and I have hi cholesterol and a family history of heart attacks. I have a hard time walking around for more that 10 mins because of my back, so I don't do exercising, So I have to do it through diet. I take 9 different meds aday mostly for pain, BP, cholesterol & IBS-C & Acid Reflux. The doctors want me to have surgery on my stomach. I don't want that so I'm trying to lose weight myself. I have no support at home.So I've turned here trying to find some. My weigh in days are Monday. πŸ’•
    Sharon - Winnipeg, Manitoba,

Welcome you two ... and anyone else I might have missed recently. :)

Sharon ... I lived in Winnipeg for a while many years ago, so I kind of remember the place. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Michele - my physiotherapist that finally got me on the road to recovery with my hip told me the absolute worse thing you can do with sore hips and back pain is to sit. He said never sit with your hips above your knees which means most comfy furniture is taboo.

My super-comfy armchair is this so that if I sit upright in it, my knees and hips are at the same level, but when I prop my feet on a footstool in front, the knees would be slightly lower.

mnu3qyj4wu9z.png

Kelly - Thank you, I think he’s pretty special. For anyone with a grandchild that loves Lego and you live near one, this was a wonderful place for him to spend his birthday. I had no idea they did anything for birthdays. When we first walked into the store Jonah asked me what to look at first. I told him it was part of his birthday present so he could decide. The store attendant overheard me and asked him if it was his birthday. He said yes, Grammie’s too.
    She immediately pointed him to the mini figs and told him he could make one for free. It does included 1 accessory. Jonah was looking for a sombrero, β€œhe’s learning Spanish this year, he asked an attendant if they had any and the guy went in back and gave it to him. Then he was given a popsicle and a pizza for his mini fig. He was excited about that, but before we left the store the supervisor came over and gave him a birthday card signed by all the employees working.
    He knew all of the employees because we were there for over 2 hours and he told all of them what he was creating. πŸ˜‚ They all listened and gave suggestions. He was treated like royalty and can’t stop talking about it, especially the card.

Tracey

That sounds wonderful! I don't think we've got anything like that here.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited September 2021
    Options
    yfnar6aie0y4.png

Almost the weekend.

Almost time to step away from my bank of computer screens.

Almost time for things like cycling and running (inside, because we're having another blast of winter), playing with Rhody, colouring, planting summer seeds (if the weather will let me), and hopefully finishing my bathroom reorg & purge.

At least the bathroom reorg and purge leaves me smelling nice! I'm trying to mix stuff and I end up with lotions and all sorts all over me.

This week, my eyes have been telling me they want some time off from computer screens ... instead of spending 12-ish hours a day staring at the screen, I hope to bring that down to maybe just 2 or 3 hours a day.

Machka in Oz ... in windy, rainy Tas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Update on DH - he had a decent night and he is feeling quite a bit better. Crossing fingers. :)

Rescued the last of my batch of meatballs from the freezer. Will make a tomato sauce. Green salad.
    Friday night is wine night. Tonight will be a lusty red from Puglia. :p

Maybe we will get out for a walk together after lunch. Weather promising.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,105 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Barbie: I've started calling my goals aims or habits. It's a bit of silly semantics, but it seems to have removed the goal oriented stress I used to get if I didn't do them.
    Michele: 😁 Both mermaids πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ How risquΓ© can it be! πŸ˜‚ Not sure if it's still official seniors only, but it sure isn't busy at that time of the morning.
    Julie: - physical exhaustion is natural after what you have been through with your surgery. You are doing a wonderful job, and deserve much better treatment than you got from that plastic surgeon. Meetings are dead boring! There's no two ways about it.
    Machka: - πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ Recovering People Pleasers! Unite! And please yourself! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Re Stress: at the beginning of the pandemic when I had to give up most of my commitments to the charity I work with because of Covid restrictions, I realised that I had been under a lot of stress with the groups that I was running. As the months rolled on it occurred to me that I hadn't been doing myself any good with all the stress that I had, in essence, chosen, and I decided that it was better for me to step back from the responsibility of the roles I had agreed to do. Once I made that decision, the stress disappeared. I am currently stepping back from these roles one by one.

Heather: - Modern technology is a boon in our present circumstances. Would love to know how your mystery diner goes. I'm a bit like you with the tablet. I really need to buy a new iPad, but I just can't motivate myself to go and look at them in the shop. Bravo for getting it done. πŸ‘πŸ» On the editing. It's a long old job, but has to be done.
    KJLaMore wrote: Β»
    funny dream last night
    I woke this morning with an aching jaw (from clenching teeth), and a dream, better yet, a nightmare in my brain.
    I was at a very posh party, I was a bit younger and it was me; but at the same time didn't look like me. There was a certain famous politician there and he was following me and hitting on me. And he was making my skin crawl (as all images/mention of him seem to do). My DH was at the party with me and I was calling for him and looking for him and he was no where to be seen. And I couldn't shake the unwanted politician. Then I woke up. Politician gone; but I wanted to smack my hubby for leaving me alone with him at the party.
    Oh my giddy aunt! This made me laugh outright. It's happened to me in the past.

Back soon to finish reading.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: - πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ Recovering People Pleasers! Unite! And please yourself! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Re Stress: at the beginning of the pandemic when I had to give up most of my commitments to the charity I work with because of Covid restrictions, I realised that I had been under a lot of stress with the groups that I was running. As the months rolled on it occurred to me that I hadn't been doing myself any good with all the stress that I had, in essence, chosen, and I decided that it was better for me to step back from the responsibility of the roles I had agreed to do. Once I made that decision, the stress disappeared. I am currently stepping back from these roles one by one.

☘️ Terri

I found the same thing with the COVID restrictions. The 4 months we were closed here were fabulous!! The amount of stuff I had to attend to diminished dramatically and loved the freedom. Then uni finished and there was more freedom ... and I just wanted more! So I started resigning from things and making myself redundant. Even today, I added someone else as editor on our cycling FB page and he changed details on his own event. Perfect!!

I find I like doing things that don't have a lot of commitment and responsibility. Tomorrow we're going to our son's hockey grand final. Next week, I'm doing a run. All a bit of fun!

M in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,105 Member
    Options
    Today I will be continuing with my Hobbies room revamp. I can hardly believe how much stuff I took out of the room. A lot of it will soon be going out the front door. I have already got rid of a mountain of school stuff that I didn't even need when I got it, let alone now, almost 20 years after I stopped teaching. It's been a revelation.

@LisaInArkansas <> (((hugs))) I have been wondering how you were.
    Tracey: grandchildren are such a blessing. 😍 Pug Rock Band. That boy is such a character . PS: send your vampire over here I could do with it. πŸ₯‡for the Lego Store staff.
    DrKatie: I hope everyone pulls through.
    Beth: I love the way you bear your difficulties with such humour. I hope the visit to the orthopaedic doctor goes well.
    Heather: Sympathy for Johnny and his ricked neck. Hope it eases soon.
    Allie: your seaside retreat sounds like just the ticket for you.
    Kelly: πŸŽ‰ For licence.

Just a shout out to our new girls. Don't let the number of posts phase you πŸ˜‚Just jump,in when something catches your eye. You will have lots of advice if you ask for it, and a bit of humour from time to time.

(((Hugs))) to anyone I have missed. The old brain can only do so much before it gets fuzzy πŸ˜‚

Sticking with the daily habits, and holding steady. Eat healthy, sleep soundly, move often.

Off to have my breakfast. Maybe that will revive the brain cells lol

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    Friday Night
    Watching Midsommer Murders.
    Colouring flowers.
    Meandering through Sweatpants & Coffee, Mellow Doodles and similar.

n5y13leod7vo.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Went for our afternoon 5k walk together on the seafront. :D<3
    We diverted a little to an artisan bakery and bought four spinach and ricotta pastries for Tuesday lunch with our friends. I think, with some Greek salad, halloumi, and hummus, baba ganoush and a spectacular sour dough, rosemary and sea salt loaf I bought, that we will have enough for a light lunch. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Went for our afternoon 5k walk together on the seafront. :D<3
    We diverted a little to an artisan bakery and bought four spinach and ricotta pastries for Tuesday lunch with our friends. I think, with some Greek salad, halloumi, and hummus, baba ganoush and a spectacular sour dough, rosemary and sea salt loaf I bought, that we will have enough for a light lunch. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Halloumi ... yum!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    nbbaby wrote: Β»
    Hello group,
    My name is Sharon.
    This is my first time in this group.
    I'm 53, wife, mother of 3 grown children, grandma to 5 granddaughters. I have disabilities Fibromyalgia, 9 Herniated Discs, Arthritis, asthma, ptsd, anxiety etc... I'm 228 lbs, trying to get to 160 lbs. I've tried everything and am tired of yo-yoing. I have high blood preasure (even though I'm on 2 different BP pills daily and I have hi cholesterol and a family history of heart attacks. I have a hard time walking around for more that 10 mins because of my back, so I don't do exercising, So I have to do it through diet. I take 9 different meds aday mostly for pain, BP, cholesterol & IBS-C & Acid Reflux. The doctors want me to have surgery on my stomach. I don't want that so I'm trying to lose weight myself. I have no support at home.So I've turned here trying to find some. My weigh in days are Monday. πŸ’•
    Sharon - Winnipeg, Manitoba,

I just read that uncontrolled blood pressire could be the result of sleep apnea. Lack of good sound sleep can aggreivate many conditions as well as weight gain. Have your doctors asked you about your sleep. With back pain it is hard tp get good sleep too. Starting with a healthy diet with the goal of reducing your pain a place to start. From what you are saying your weight is a symptom of your pain. Addressing the pain first the weight loss will follow. Much love to you...This forum is a great place to find support.

Have you tried water exercise...some of the conditions you mentioned do benefit from exercise. Water exercise might be an alternative.