WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    Interesting article ...

5 Ways To Stop Hating Your To-Do List
    Make your to-do list work for you, not against you.

https://blog.doist.com/todo-list-tips/

I am very much a To-Do list person and I depend heavily on my list ... but it tends to grow rather than shrink!

However, I do some of the things they've mentioned.

The 5th tip is "5. Treat Your To-Do List Like A Trophy" and the advice is about celebrating what we have accomplished.
    A couple years ago, I started moving what I've done into a "Done" section on my list. I did that because I felt like I wasn't doing anything but after just a few days, I discovered I was actually doing a lot!

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the good wishes.. <3 Your support has really helped me along.

Today I will send out another couple of emails. I find I can't do many at a time as it wears me out. I'm not used to being a secretary! I've never worked in an office, and admin organising is not my thing. Steep learning curve. :p
    It does require a bit of thinking as each letter has to be tailored to the particular organisation or media.
    I'm still waiting to hear about the interview broadcast time.

Katla - All airports here have parking, many have valet parking, which my DDIL always uses with the three kids. That would be a good option for you. It all costs money, but it is slightly less if booked in advance. The long stay parking has a free shuttle to the airport. Our airport is on a train line, but we are near enough for a pre-booked local taxi/shuttle to be an option for a long trip. As your husband is disabled, there may be special arrangements you can pre book. Have you enquired about what they can do for him? I would use the disabled angle to the hilt. Ring them, or go online. Don't leave it until the last minute.
    I have also stayed at an airport hotel. Right on the check in! :D

I'm expecting a reaction to the flu jab today, so will be quiet.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Katla- i used a place near the airport that was 33.00 for 5 days.. shuttle took me back and forth and the car was in a secure lot.. there are alot of alternatives.
    I woke up at 1:30 am and im hoping to go back to sleep for a couple more hours. Because is going to be a long day..
    SueB- so great to see you found us again,sure bave missed you...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie & Heather - Thanks for the advice. We looked at several possible places for our car. We’re working on it. We have options that we’re considering.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Ive been awake since 1:30 this morning and its 4:15 now... its going to be a long long long day,and i just cant come back here and take a nap,I have to go pick Alfie up and bring him home and then go to a meeting tonight,the board has fired the property management company and is going to self govern ,so they sre going to lay it on thick tonight..ugh
    Tomorrow will be a better day
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla I think I remember that you may live in an area where transportation options are limited...having said that, if we can't arrange for family or friends to take us to the airport, we use Uber. I don't know if you have that available to you, though. Uber is affordable and reliable.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Suebdew- I got your message this morning and replied; but I see you found us! So good to hear from you! Sending you lots of healing prayers/thoughts/vibes! <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    While the kids were playing yesterday, in the back yard. I got a rake out and raked all of the leaves into a big pile in the corner of the yard (1. for them to play in, and 2. to get the raked off the grass so it could be mowed). The kid's were thrilled and I received lots of "I Love You, Miss Kel!" s from them. (It doesn't take much). THEN...after the last child was picked up; in the last 20 minutes of daylight, I got three big piles of leaves, in the front yard, bagged. Tim and Colin had raked them on Monday, then threw a tarp over them because they ran out of daylight to get them bagged. ANyway, I am feeling EVERY muscle in my back, sides, legs today! lol I feel like my body is saying "Hey, I am still here!"
    On Monday, I weighed in, and am down four pounds. I am continuing my high protein, high veg meal planning/eating. I feel much better this week than I did last week. That very bloated feeling is gone.

Well, I better get moving. The kids are having pancakes for breakfast; I am having zucchini, mushroom and egg whites.
    Hugs to you all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie

I'm sorry you have a long day ahead... :/

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    Kellly Same here with raking. Raking every day this past week. Our weather changes tonight and the time for raking might be over. I collect some of my leaves to cover garden at son's and rake my leaves into my gardens too for over winter. I still end up with some I take to our local compost. Like you I try to mulch in some of the leaves by mowing. Son's and our front yard is done. Today I hope to get to our backyard. In the spring I will rake up some of the leaves when it gets to be over 50 at night. It turns our bees use the leaves for protection over the winter. They are encouring us to do this here to help the bumble bees which are becoming extinct in some areas of our country. I do not use any pesticides or weed killers on either property and was delighted to see a variety of bees.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🍁🍂🍁
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Sue of WA ... the process of dying/death seems unending. My son, while legally a medical dependent, was financially independent and he died without a will. What a debacle. It should not be so difficult.

Sue of TX ... glad you found us ... sorry to hear you've had vaccination problems.

Kellee ... I have re-committed to reducing carbs and focusing on protein/vegetables again. Always makes me feel better! Glad you are having success with it too!

We have opted out of Thanksgiving plans with family. I'm only interested in seeing my parents before the weather gets nasty and travel becomes difficult. So my husband and I are going to try to visit them next week (my brother is taking over their Thanksgiving needs on the 25th). I'll try to do some baking of things they enjoy and if I get really motivated prepare some soups they can freeze as well.

Another sunshine-y day in Buffalo!
    Beth
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Hi, Katla. I assume you are flying out of PDX?

We have found the garage at the airport to be very safe. It is expensive, but worth it. They keep track of the cars and where they are and patrol regularly. On one trip, my husband forgot where he parked, and with just giving them his plate number, they were able to tell him within minutes where he was.

If you aren't wanting to drive, perhaps a shuttle, if it is available (our airport shuttle only just recently started operating again due to COVID) or Uber or Lyft.

I am excited for you to get this trip started!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I did a better search and found more info about changing phones. Glad to see my old phone is not too old for this. I don't know why this process scares me so much.

Meanwhile it's my mother's birthday and she wants a chocolate cake. I must resist!

Annie in Delaware

I just changed phones! The one thing I forgot to do is to remember all of my passwords for the different apps that I used. For instance I was unable to log on to here until I figured that out! So make sure that when you do change phones that you make sure you know your passwords to your different apps. We went with T-Mobile because they have a senior plan and 5G internet. We changed to their internet for $50 a month with no equipment rental fee and that includes taxes. They just gave us a router. The internet also includes free Netflix! They also have free phones or reduced prices on higher level phones for first time customers! My husband's phone was free and mine was $100! You do not have to sign a contract!

<3 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen – Thanks for the suggestion regarding Uber. The distance from here to the airport is long. We may have a neighbor who will take us to the airport. We will need to ask. We took a drive out to the airport vicinity yesterday and had a look at some options. We were not pleased due to high costs for parking our car while we are away. It seemed very expensive. We’re taking one step at a time. It is not fun at this point. :ohwell: We are scheduled to fly to VA on November 19, and will likely return home in December. Our son and his family live in Williamsburg. :star:

Allie – I hope things go well for you at the transplant center and that the doctors are happy with your progress. :heart:

SueBDew – I’m glad to see you here again. Sending good thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:

Flea – We are planning to fly out of PDX on November 19. We looked into shuttles yesterday while we were out in the vicinity and are trying to figure things out. A shuttle from here to the airport would be very pricey. Parking at the airport is also pricey. We may be gone for more than a month. Some neighbors recently returned from a trip. Perhaps they well have good suggestions. Contacting the airport about the garage is a good idea. Thank you. We are crossing our fingers that a neighbor will drive us to the airport and pick us up when we return. It is a LOT to ask. :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Tina--Sorry for the loss of your uncle. It is so sad how a death can tear a family apart. :'(

Heather--I bet you did great on the interview. Looking forward to listening to it.

Karen--Great news on the house sale. Sounds like a great start for a new family.

Beth--I remember the first Christmas after our son passed. I did not put up a tree or send cards or do anything. It was not a good choice and I was sorry afterwards. It made me more depressed and empty. It is a fine line and sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

SueBDew--Glad to see you back. It has been a long time. Hope to see a lot of you.

Tracey--Sorry to hear about your work drama. I know that a lot of my stress is from work and I am praying on how to deal and cut it down. With back to more normal hours I know that is helping. Management can make or break a team for sure.

Well I am caught up. My back is better, but still has a long way to go. I am working this week and have to remember to move around and not sit for hours. Loving the Fall weather.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3