Options
    <3<3<3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Allie ~ I was wondering if there was a school bus Carmine could catch to go back and forth to school...or is it too snowy? My 10 yr old granddaughter rides the bus home alone every afternoon. When I was teaching in a different district my son got himself on the bus every morning when he was in 5th grade. I know around here the busses are plentiful.

Carol in GA

There are school buses here in Tassie, but for reasons I don't understand, it seems most of the parents drive their kids and drop them off. We live near a school and between 8 am and 9 am it's a nightmare out there as parents dash to the school in their cars to drop their kids off. In the afternoons it is a bit better but between about 2:30 and 3:15 they descend on the school like seagulls on chips.

M in Oz

Here, if you live within one mile of the school, you don't get bus service. Which is fine on mild weather days, but is not comfortable in torrential rain or severe cold. My 15 year old usually rode his bike to school when he was in elementary school except when the weather was not favorable.

We just make the cut for bus to the high school. Our stop is just three blocks from the last stop before they arrive at the school.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

So to the scratch cooks in our group… got a question potato leek soup… I like potatoes, I like leeks, I believe I have had flavorful potato leek soup and a couple of times each winter I think potatoes and leeks are at an ok price, I’ll make potato leek soup, I try yet another recipe and am disappointed in the lack of flavor.
    I then go to my spice cupboard and sometimes can “fix” it but it ends up with a Mexican flair or an Indian flair or something that is ok but not flavorful potato leek. For dinner tonight I finished this winter’s boring pot of soup. Before I finally accept that I can not make a good potato leek soup does anyone have a recipe to share? Just a warning, I am not in general a good soup maker, I can make many many other things, but soup is a bit of a mystery to me.

Machka – so this is probably the weirdest question and one I could google… but so much more fun to just ask… I get that when it is our warm season (summer) it is your cold season and the reverse is also true, but what do you call your warm season? And your cold season? So I guess what I am asking is in the English speaking countries is January always part of winter and the weather is different depending on where you are or is January called winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern hemisphere. Just one of many weird things my mind gets wondering about..

Tina – Sorry to hear about your vacation cancelation.

Rebecca and Michele – I have never been on one of those large exercise ball, but look at them and figure I could easily fall off and hurt myself or something else as it goes flying across the room. LOL

$10,000 I would go to a home improvement store probably Lowes and get a dishwasher, a new refrigerator (mine is 27 years old), insulation for my roof, and a bunch of other stuff. It would be fun.

Someone asked about January successes I have 2 one is most days I have spent 1.5-2 hours working in my garden and it is looking better than it usually does in January. And the other is I have incorporated a lot (for me) of “play” time, I have had dinner with friends (one at a time) 3 different times, I spent a whole day with my godson Ben when he was in town, and I went to the zoo last night (pictures and the story tomorrow).

Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day

Smiles Kim in N. California
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, mfp50+, CI<CIO, CI<250<CO, steps >7400, active 4.0
    Bonus: 142.6, veg prep
    Workin’ on it: H20x5
    Happier January 2022
    27: Challenge your negative thoughts and look for the upside.
    28: Ask other people about things they’ve enjoyed recently.

Beach stroll with Joe and the dogs, lovely way to start the day. A little chilly in the breezy shade, but glorious sunshine, blue sky and sea. Worth the disruption in morning routine. Again, no regrets.

Recorded Jeopardy walking to make step goals, was a little sad to see Amy Schneider’s 40 day streak broken. I’d grown to like her.

Walking/riding bike to school story (some have heard this before.) Shortly after we moved to Boise Idaho, a story appeared in the newspaper. Seems a father was following his daughter, he in his car, she on her bike, as she rode to school. Suddenly a woman’s car cut in between them, she lept out and asked the child “Is that man bothering you?” Testament to the family friendly culture of Idaho. The father was following/accompanying her because in Southern California (from where they’d just moved) that was the only safe way for kids to bike to school.

Heather what’s in your slimming, spicy, oriental soup? If its fish or seafood, don’t tell me :sick:
    Thanks, Barbie! Hope that sore arm eases soon.
    Annie I too have a weakness for cookies. Sometimes more protein helps me to moderate intake, so today I googled “protein cookies” and found a peanut butter protein powder chocolate chip recipe to try ;)
    Vicki in a way it may be a good thing that that contractor no showed… before he started work.
    Pip :love: Yogi in his pool.
    Tina sorry to hear about your vacation and your Mister’s positive test.
    Rebeca turn about is fair play, you’ve been cooking for your son for a loooong time.
    Ginny “…excited about exercise equipment…” :laughing:
    Michele hoping Vince can find a way to switch his worries to positive thoughts for Clyde.
    Katla fingers Xd for the pup. Had poodles as a child and loved them. Smart, trainable, and real clowns, but do not let them off leash where there are ducks in a pond… ;)
    Kim do you boil the potatoes in stock (chicken or veg)? Do you sautee the leeks before adding them in? If all else fails, stir a little sour cream in just before serving ;)

From Happier January:

pcye8csx8ld7.png

So, ladies, what things have you enjoyed recently?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    51n35ufuvs7c.gif

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ I was wondering if there was a school bus Carmine could catch to go back and forth to school...or is it too snowy? My 10 yr old granddaughter rides the bus home alone every afternoon. When I was teaching in a different district my son got himself on the bus every morning when he was in 5th grade. I know around here the busses are plentiful.

Carol in GA

There are school buses here in Tassie, but for reasons I don't understand, it seems most of the parents drive their kids and drop them off. We live near a school and between 8 am and 9 am it's a nightmare out there as parents dash to the school in their cars to drop their kids off. In the afternoons it is a bit better but between about 2:30 and 3:15 they descend on the school like seagulls on chips.

M in Oz

Covid! Parents don't want their kids on the bus.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I can't believe kids aren't walking to school if it's under a mile. Everybody walks or cycles. That would be hugely frowned upon in Hove. :* No one takes senior kids. Lashing rain and storms, maybe. :p

Tina - So sorry! We are in the same countdown for March. In a way I wish we would get it now! DH invited friends over for early March and I was cross. First I said they couldn't come, then that I will only have them here if they do a test that morning. You are supposed to do the test first thing before eating or drinking anything.

Schoolchildren are the ones most likely to give you covid.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,346 Member
    Options
    Tina: That’s rotten luck. Hope the mister has a mild dose, with no complications.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,146 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Machka – so this is probably the weirdest question and one I could google… but so much more fun to just ask… I get that when it is our warm season (summer) it is your cold season and the reverse is also true, but what do you call your warm season? And your cold season? So I guess what I am asking is in the English speaking countries is January always part of winter and the weather is different depending on where you are or is January called winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern hemisphere. Just one of many weird things my mind gets wondering about..

Smiles Kim in N. California

Down here in Tasmania ...

December 1 - February 28: Summer
    March 1 - May 31: Autumn
    June 1 - August 31: Winter
    September 1 - November 30: Spring

In certain states on the mainland, it's the same.

As you go further north, the definitions become a little fuzzier and slightly different because there's monsoon/rainy season (summer-ish) and dry season (winter-ish). It's monsoon/rainy season up there now. Occasionally the monsoon is big enough we get "wisps" of it down here.

So yes, it's January here and it is summer. :)

And we've been affected by the monsoons way up north with a bit of heat and humidity just recently. It has been super muggy this past week.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Carol in GA

M in Oz

Covid! Parents don't want their kids on the bus.

They've done it since we moved in back in 2014, and probably earlier. It's definitely not a recent thing.

I have to take the bus!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I can't believe kids aren't walking to school if it's under a mile. Everybody walks or cycles. That would be hugely frowned upon in Hove. :* No one takes senior kids. Lashing rain and storms, maybe. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'll bring out the "old person" response ...

Back in my day ... :lol: ... I walked to and from school plus to and from for lunch. The total distance was about 2.5 km. We lived in northern Alberta where temps dropped to -40 C/F and colder.
    But we didn't have to walk when it reached -40C/F ... schools closed at that temp. I remember hanging around the radio waiting for the announcement that the school was closed ... and then we'd go outside and play or cross country ski or something. :grin:

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi ...
    @fizzfizz
    @Brandywismer
    @linder4866
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    @annham
    @MA_B
    @downongreenacres
    @dtstylist
    @JustJenn68
    @Kfhontherttrack
    @auditgoddess
    @herronisland
    @southernmom3
    @tawny7
    @pinh
    @mrytckr
    @SFFirebird
    @Twistarella
    @coffeerose55
    @krwestlund7
    @chantalboam
    @cpblondie67

I hope I haven't missed anyone. I think you've all joined this thread this month. Just wanted to welcome you all again and encourage you to let us know how you're going this month. :)

In February, there will be a new thread and we'll continue the conversations there.

For you, and of course, for all of us here, I wonder ...

What are some highlights you've experienced in January 2022?

07yejn1eygh5.png

Machka in Oz (that's Australia, if you didn't guess)

Highlights!

Today I logged my lowest weight since November. :) Tomorrow might be higher, but that's OK. Overall, I've been trending downward this month.

I got 2 jobs! I'm fulltime permanent at one but I've been seconded to the other till July. They are both a band level, and thus wage increases.

My husband and I rode 2 longish rides this month. One was the longest ride we've done since before his accident at 64 km. The other was one of our "usual" 50 km rides. Plus, of course, shorter rides.

I did a 10 km running event.

I took the Christmas decorations down!

Let's hear more of yours. :)

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Kim - I don't think there is any way to make potato and leek soup really tasty, apart from sautéing the leeks for a good time in loads of butter, using an excellent stock, and finishing with lashings of cream and pepper. Not exactly slimming! :p

Barbara - Shiritaki noodles, any old veg and salad out of the fridge. Loads of garlic, fresh ginger, salad onions. I use miso soup for the base, which has tofu and seaweed. Extra non salted chicken stock cube. I add extra seaweed. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, chilli oil, Thai green curry paste, shrimp paste. Bring to a simmer. Add huge king prawns. Absolutely heaven. I dud not drink the soup as it was very salty, but the stuff in it was very flavourful.
    I know it would not suit you! :s I calculated 200 calories for a bowl of heaven.

Now on with my daily writing. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    From Happier January:

pcye8csx8ld7.png

So, ladies, what things have you enjoyed recently?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    51n35ufuvs7c.gif

What have I enjoyed recently?

Days off! I have 19 days off in January!! (12 days of work) Excellent. :)
    --- Days off mean sleeping in and spending time with my husband and Rhody.

Travel up north. We're not about to leave the island, of course. But we can travel around the island and we did at the beginning of the month.

Cycling, walking, running. Always love exercise. :)

The garden. Oddly enough I've really enjoyed pulling weeds, digging in the garden, hauling gravel, and really getting to know what we've got here.

Colouring ... especially colouring the Christmas book I have.

Helping build our beehive.

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Just heard that the whole family now has covid. My son just WhatsApped me. :s So next Monday's Burns Night is postponed again. I will put the haggis in the freezer and can do the same for the double cream.
    Hope they are not too ill. Really missing them.
    At least it means we can visit them without worrying, once they are all well again. I was worrying about March, just before the cruise.
    The parents are both vaxxed and boosted.

Done my writing. I am writing about one of the greatest loves of my life (there were two) when I was 22. It's a very strange experience and unsettling. But I'm enjoying discovering long ago memories, that feel like yesterday. (I am 72)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and going to get dressed to take Carmine to school.
    Michelle- Homer is down at Tom and Elenas and has a fenced in yard i stop down either with Alfie or by myself and let them out and they come back in on there own.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance here. None of my childcare families are covid positive anymore, but we are dealing with a couple different viruses that the kids seem to be sharing. (It never ends)
    Tina- So sorry to hear of your DH's positive test and subsequent vacation cancellation! How disappointing! I hope he gets a light case and gets through it quickly!
    Michele- Hope your pup is okay!
    Heather- Ugh! Well, at least now the whole family will have had it and you don't have to worry about catching anything from them for a while! Sorry about your Burns Night cancellation (again)!
    Kim- My suggestions are to cook your veg in the stock, add garlic, and I almost always will season my veg with Beaumonde spice while I cook them. ( I think Spice Island puts out Beaumonde) It is kind of a celery salt type of spice blend. It adds just enough salt, pepper, and other spices. You might also try blending the stock with some miso. I think miso adds something special to soups as well.
    Riding the bus- When I was in elementary (K-3rd) and then again in 5th and 6th grades, I lived a couple of miles from school and would walk to school with my sister and some neighbor kids, our age. The other years, my school was four to five miles away and would have to take the bus. ALTHOUGH, there were times that I missed the bus and my mom made me walk. Those times were in junior high/ high school with the 6:30am pick up! If there wasn't snow, I would either rollerskate or skateboard to school.

Well, no snow this morning; so I slept in until 6am! I hopped on the scale this morning, as well, and found I lost four pounds since Sunday! I will accept that loss, as a reward for my mornings of shoveling snow! I also haven't had wine in about two weeks, due to my cold. I think that is paying off, as well. lol Kids arriving. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Friday -- another day off. :)

I've been dealing with paperwork all day. Exciting. :neutral:

It wasn't a particularly nice day (heavily overcast, windy, occasional rain, warm and extremely humid) so I wasn't inclined to be in the garden.

One of the things which has happened with the job shuffle is that a huge number of emails have been exchanged and moved to different accounts. Now I need to sort them out and deal with them. I've also discovered that my new work colleagues are very chatty in email, on TEAMS and in person so I'll have to check my settings and do something to keep some of that under control.

Another thing I've done is to make a list of all my husband's and my expenses. I had done that when my husband was still in hospital about 3.5 years ago but it needed to be updated. It also means that I'm making sure I can access each of these online (or by some method). I'm making this for both my husband and I in mind so that if something happens we both know what to do.

Then we went to dinner (outside) with some of our Audax cycling group. :)

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,105 Member
    Options
    Tina sorry about your cancellation. How disappointing!

Michele best of luck with Clyde. Hope he is comfortable.

KJ congratulations on the weight loss!

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) Yes, the shingles vaccine is expensive. We are willing to pay for it for the same reason we pay for an accountant to do our taxes, good tires on our car, home and auto insurance---peace of mind is priceless. We don't spend on many of the luxuries that other people do--clothing, travel, wine, furniture, salon haircuts, gifts, holiday celebrations, etc.--instead we take care of ourselves. This was an important choice for us. My mother had shingles and suffered horribly for a long time

:) The turkey is roasted and carved. The meat is in the refrigerator, the bones have finished simmering to make stock for soup. Today we will package some meat to freeze for later and finish making the soup to freeze for later. On Saturday I'll make matzo balls to freeze.

<3 Barbie in NW WA