WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well we are getting the snow.. because it is so cold it is light and fluffy not heavy and wet..
    But we should were we are get 12- 18 inches when all said and done.so Alfie and I are tucked in for the day.
    Nothing new to report
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    Ginny- Yay for quitting smoking! That is a huge increase in health. Congratulations!

Machka - thanks so much for showing me the math. I'm exercising about 65 mins a day average, so maybe 120 calories. I have the numbers set low on my diary so I don't eat all of them back. When I don't get into the cookies, I'm down at 1100 calories a day. So yes one pound a week is more realistic until my knee is stronger and I can exercise more. So we shall see. I would love to be losing a pound a week consistently.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    My resting metabolic rate for my age, height and weight comes out to 1330. Then exercise is about 120 so 1450 calories used. Eaten is 1100 so 350 calorie deficit a day. So a pound a week would be 400 so eat 1050 or exercise 170. Okay, that sets the goal!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    If given $10,000...I would put wool carpet in our living room and dining room. We put wool carpet in rec room and I love it. If there was any money left over I would put it towards getting son's upstairs sheet rock finished. They did not finish off the seams. Then get it painted.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I love the way you tackle projects. I really love those domestic projects too, and I see them as enjoyable variations

Machka - I see outside projects that same way, too. When you get in that "flow" state and you look up hours later, surprised by how much time has passed, those are the days I love.

Ginny and Debbie - Oh lordy, yes, I'm looking forward to that day. I gather people used to have mortgage-burning parties, where they celebrated the accomplishment of paying their house off. Not in my family. The vast majority of my generation rent, and their children do too. No one seems to have any intention of doing anything else. Not saying that's a bad thing - just different priorities.

Barbara AHMOD - If you haven't already, you might think about freezing your credit or at least put a notification on it, so they'll notify you of anything sketchy on your credit, like someone trying to start a credit card in your name. I did that on Experian, and they notify the other two bureaus. It's free and gave me some peace of mind.

Rebecca - Your soup looks absolutely gorgeous and I have a sneaking fondness for Old Bay as well.

Allie - glad you're tucked in and safe from the storm.

Corey had to work this morning, so he's headed that way. Cold - 13 degrees out when I got up, and it's made it up to 26 now that the sun is up. Supposed to get near 60 today and just over 60 tomorrow. No wind outside at all - most unusual, but the flag is perfectly still, not even a breeze.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    We had four inches of snow. Not too bad, but today is very cold and windy, so tough to shovel. I had to take a break because my fingertips hurt! I burned enough calories to have some hot chocolate. Yay!
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Thanks KJ. I'm beginning to understand why some people can lose two pounds a week but it's just not gonna happen for me without extreme unhealthy dieting or exercise killing my knee. Well, the slow road gets there too.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    ifqxsjuxcb3q.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have locked mailboxes beside the road. Our individual mail boxes are keyed so that the post office carrier can open the back and put our individual mail in our spot. We open our individual mail boxes beside the sidewalk. We have had no thefts and no damage to the boxes. Many people have individual boxes inside the post office.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today it is very cold in our house. The furnace is not working. We called the furnace repair guy and we are waiting our turn. Outside it is 55* Fahrenheit. Inside is 66* this morning.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Rebecca that soup looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I did my 3 mins elliptical, 6 mins marching and 30 mins yoga. Yay!

And now for the dreaded Friday weigh- in: up about a pound to 170.2. So the penalty for my cookie binges wasn't too bad on the scale. It's worse for my self - esteem because I really felt like a failure. I haven't begun to find my way to losing two pounds a week. Well, I get another chance this week.

Annie in Delaware

Losing 2 lbs a week is a big effort. "They" actually recommend aiming for a maximum of 1 lb/week.

It is generally assumed that 1 lb is 3500 calories (although there is some recent disagreement about that). Therefore to lose 2 lb/week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories during the week.

That's a deficit of 1000 calories a day.

If your resting metabolic rate is about 1400 calories (that's the assumption for the average woman), you would need to be 1000 calories lower than that - 400 calories a day ... and of course, that is certainly NOT recommended!

But you could attain a deficit of 1000 calories a day by eating 1200 calories a day (that's a 200 calorie deficit) and exercising 800 calories a day.

800 calories of exercise would be things like cycling 40 km/day, walking over 15 km/day, running about 10 km/day etc. It's an effort!

So "they" recommend going for 1 lb/week. That's about a 500 calorie deficit.

You can attain a 500 calorie deficit by eating 1200 calories a day (200 calorie deficit) and exercising 300 calories a day.

300 calories would be things like cycling 15 km/day, walking about 6 km/day, running about 4 km/day. That's much more attainable.

Machka in Oz

I lost 2 lb per week very easily because of the exercise part of the program. I did the 1200 calories a day for eating. That would give a one pound weight loss. I never ate back my exercise calories. I did my kettlebell and walk or bike ride and my exercise calories ranged from 300 - 700+ per day which gave me another one pound loss. Sometimes more especially when I was heavier. Now that I am at maintenance I know that 1200 calories Will be my reality if I don't do any exercise I would start to gain back weight if I ate more. I am 5'4' tall. Now that I am at maintenance I can eat my exercise calories. That is the bonus when you get to your goal weight.

💞 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,373 Member
    Options
    Pg 67

☘️
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Katla Yay for heat!

Annie in Delaware
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tina could you share the link to the cooking with TBI podcast?

If the link doesn’t work, it was on “The Sporkful” podcast. You can do a search.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sporkful/id350709629?i=1000515776420
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Barbara AHMOD - If you haven't already, you might think about freezing your credit or at least put a notification on it, so they'll notify you of anything sketchy on your credit, like someone trying to start a credit card in your name. I did that on Experian, and they notify the other two bureaus. It's free and gave me some peace of mind.

Unless something has changed recently, you have to freeze Credit separately with each bureau. If there is credit monitoring on it, they inform one another and you.

Tina in CA