WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Yes, the shingles vaccine is expensive. We are willing to pay for it for the same reason we pay for an accountant to do our taxes, good tires on our car, home and auto insurance---peace of mind is priceless. We don't spend on many of the luxuries that other people do--clothing, travel, wine, furniture, salon haircuts, gifts, holiday celebrations, etc.--instead we take care of ourselves. This was an important choice for us. My mother had shingles and suffered horribly for a long time

:) The turkey is roasted and carved. The meat is in the refrigerator, the bones have finished simmering to make stock for soup. Today we will package some meat to freeze for later and finish making the soup to freeze for later. On Saturday I'll make matzo balls to freeze.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

My husband and I both got our shingles vaccine in early January 2020 ... just before the COVID thing started. I got both my Measles about then too. I had to wait two weeks between each.

I don't recall that they cost very much, but we felt they were important.

Then, of course, COVID came along and we were happy we were up to date with all our vaccines. :)

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    I’m just scrolling through.

My daughter and family lives in the same complex we lived in when my girls were in the same school that my grandchildren go to now.
    My girls walked in nice weather and rode the city bus in winter. They weren’t eligible for the yellow school bus due to the 1 mile rule. (Late 90’s - Early 2000’s)
    However, my grandchildren are driven to school.
    I’ve asked my daughter why she drives them and she said the difference for her is when they were doing it there was a neighbourhood of kids walking together. Now Jonah would be alone walking and the area has more problems than it did when they were young so she doesn’t feel safe letting him. Michaela is only in kindergarten and half days so she wouldn’t be walking alone yet anyway. By the time she would be old enough to walk with him he will be in a different school.
    The other reason she gave is the judging from other parents. The parents that think they know best for everyone. They are the ones that pick up the phone and call CPS when a child is playing in their own yard. She just doesn’t want to risk anything.

I’ve just been reading through but not taking time to do a lot of commenting.

Hugs to all.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    mg6mgf4bv86i.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    Monday- put in the new air conditioner/ heating unit

Tuesday- put the ductwork in- they put a hole in the ceiling

Wednesday- nothing

Thursday- their guy called in sick (the guy that was supposed to repair the hole). Another guy That came to repair the water leak hole in the living room (from the rain) also repaired the hole in the ceiling.

Friday- another company came to put insulation in. We had 4” when you are supposed to have 14”.

Only thing left is having to repaint the repairs that were done, that’s supposed to be done Monday.

Expensive week. But in the long run, it will be worth it.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    I did my 3 mins elliptical, 6 mins marching and 30 mins yoga. Yay!

And now for the dreaded Friday weigh- in: up about a pound to 170.2. So the penalty for my cookie binges wasn't too bad on the scale. It's worse for my self - esteem because I really felt like a failure. I haven't begun to find my way to losing two pounds a week. Well, I get another chance this week.

Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Soup-
    Barbara I saute my leeks usually in butter first. And the potato I have boiled them ahead in water one time…. In veggie broth one time…. Sauted them with the leeks….
    Heather – I knew that it would be very fatting, but can’t even get it to be good with all the fat… I may just be giving up this idea.

Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day
    Smiles Kim in N. California
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Tina - So sorry! We are in the same countdown for March. In a way I wish we would get it now! DH invited friends over for early March and I was cross. First I said they couldn't come, then that I will only have them here if they do a test that morning. You are supposed to do the test first thing before eating or drinking anything.

Schoolchildren are the ones most likely to give you covid.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We haven't been around children and the only time we are is when I go to visit family about once a year. We can't really figure out how he got it. We are triple vaxxed and wear N95 masks in crowded environments. We haven't even been going out much in general. It's a bit of a mystery.

The good news is that it seems to be mostly like a cold so far. I'm a bit worried about getting it because of my asthma. Even when I get the common cold, I struggle with it for months.

Tina in CA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Tina--Sorry about your trip.

Riding the bus- Up until we moved to the country when I was in high school I walked to school. One year I had a walk a mile up hill. A lot of the time there was a park about half way and I would stop there and spend the day. When I would see kids walking home I would go home. Not sure how I didn't get caught. But was a very large school and guess I just blended in. Then we moved in the country and the school bus picked us up in front of the house. Rode that until I was old enough to drive and get a school permit.

So glad it is Friday. I am only working until 1 then DH and I are going to Omaha for the weekend. It is about 150 miles away. It is a CMA rally. The first one this year and looking forward to it and just getting away. DH changed our Hotel last evening as got to reading the reviews on the first one and they were scary. This one is closer to the church and a lot better reviews. I am so looking forward to just getting away.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE Where it thinks it is spring and in the 50's this weekend. <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks All. Cancelling our trip is not the worst of things that could happen. We can do it again, just later. We may just push it to March depending on how he feels. Since it's a diving trip, we have to consider the effects on his lungs.

Leek soup-I have not made it myself, but I would really season the potatoes before and saute the leeks in butter. I think I'd also add some roasted mushrooms. I love smoked paprika, so I'd probably use that as part of my seasoning too, just because. I love the taste of leeks and mushrooms together.

I listened to a podcast on cooking with TBI yesterday and thought of several of you here. It was very eye-opening. Things I hadn't thought about at all. Always learning.

Tina in CA
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I will see about getting my shingles vax after the surgery in February is past. I only just turned 50 last December.

Around here potato soup (specifically "loaded potato soup" is the food that Alex makes for Girlfriend when she has tooth issues or throat issues. And because it is the only thing eaten, I deliberately load it with calories and flavor. I don't like potatoes much so I don't eat it. My go to in that situation is egg drop soup.
    It has snowed here and is very cold. Boyfriend went out and got his booster, so now everyone in the house is boosted, and that makes me feel better. I am just patiently waiting to see if I get my thyroid surgery on 2/16, and hoping I do. My food is starting to stick.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    bus rides to/from school- I only had one year when I didn't ride the school bus. That was the year we lived in town with my grandparents while we built our new house. K-3rd grade we lived over 5 miles from school.5th through high school we lived over 10 miles from school. In junior high and high school we were the first ones off and the last ones off. In high school, having to be on the bus the whole route-we were on for an hour each way. The bus would pick us up, drive down to Windsor, picking more kids up along the way, dropping kids off at the junior high then on to the high school.
    School bus was the only option for us.

Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    No yoga today, so I am back home & staying warm inside. ❤️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

The good news is that it seems to be mostly like a cold so far. I'm a bit worried about getting it because of my asthma. Even when I get the common cold, I struggle with it for months.

Tina in CA

That was the worst part for me when I had the virus- Thankfully, I had taken my nebulizer with me to mom's the morning dad passed away(surprised I was thinking straight enough to do that , but I had been having to use it before that, like most winters-) Like you, a simple cold and I am on the nebulizer for a few months most winters. So far, haven't needed it YET but do feel it coming on. Cold weather is one of my big triggers too.
    I was stuck, sick at mom's for about two weeks- too weak to barely get out of bed, let alone drive for an hour on the backroads back home.
    I laid in bed most nights- thinking about my asthma getting worse and the nebulizer not being able to get it under control- would I be able to drive myself down to Kaiser. Lots of stress for sure. So stressed about that that I couldn't really grieve loosing my dad until about a month later, then it really started to hit. I just was kind of on auto-pilot- helping mom the little I could, once I was able to get out of bed. She had it too but not as bad.
    After that, I made sure I keep extra meds for the nebulizer on hand for when I need it.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Bus rides: Lived 7 miles from school, so bus rides to and from... just part of life, but in high school, when I skipped school, I couldn't go home. I hung out in the small town where the school was, and someone always saw me and ratted me out to my mom. The phrase "It takes a village to raise a child" may have been born in the small towns of East Texas.

$10,000 handed to me? Yeah, that would just go toward the mortgage. I'm a goal-driven person, and that's the overriding goal right now. We're still on track to pay it off by the end of this year. 🤞

Hugs to those in need, cheers to those who are working so hard to maintain or to change their lifestyles, much respect. Reading lots, sorry so few responses... Not used to being caught up in a busy week, and I'm glad to be back to my quieter life today. Have to be at the rheumatologist on Monday, and Corey's taking a day off to drive me - his offices are north of us about an hour and a half drive. Hope there are answers but know that it will probably take time.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Im home for the duration..the snow will start around midnight and go all day..saterday blizzard warnings abound.. so away we go...
    Alfie and I got Carmine to school and then went down to see Homer and they went outside and then visited for a little bit.. picked up a couple hot dogs for Lil she said she was craving them..so she is set there
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    mqcmymq2nslp.jpeg