Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    I made my version of pho again Thursday night- using what I had on hand. Started with pho broth cubes but added a lot of garlic and fresh grated ginger(always do that)- added some chopped Chinese bbq pork that was left over from dh's take out, a pack of imitation crab, two packs of kamaboko(fish cake). Pressure cooked it for 5 min. While that was cooking, cooked and peeled some shrimp and chopped some Napa cabbage. After the soup released the pressure, I added the cabbage and shrimp-
    Usually pho is served with a lot of rice noodles. We have found we actually like it better without them.
    Some times I use the frozen mixed seafood but didn't have any this time. The imitation crab was marked down at Safeway and that is something I always put in it- veggies depends on what I have on hand. Sometimes bok choy, sometimes regular cabbage, sometimes Napa cabbage.

Dh and I each had two bowls full(big bowl for him, little one for me)- it is very filling. The only thing that is a bit high is the sodium in the kamaboko.

This is something I could make once a week and everyone would be happy.
    I need to make some miso soup soon- another of their favorites-need to get some tofu for that.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did Tonya Larson’s Pure Pump DVD. I didn’t realize it was as long as it is. Anyway, the plan for tomorrow is to do a portion of Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Walk Plan.

Getting a new garage door opener today. My old one would only go up ¼ of the way and then stop. Well, it’s 12 years old so it’s about time. Update: they just installed and I needed to help Vince program it, but that’s done now

Katla – I hope you find a dog that you want. If you do, that will be one lucky dog. So glad your furnace is fixed

I do find that now that I’m working and not exercising in the morning as I had been, it seems hard to get motivated to actually do it. But I am and I’m trying to get to the gym on the days it works into the schedule.

Barbara – sorry about the mailboxes. What a pain! I agree that you should put a hold on that credit card that was in the mailbox. When I had to put a hold on my credit card, I had to call each of the three credit companies

Remember I told you all that they were calling for a dusting of snow to 2” and I said that that translated into a dusting. Well, we didn’t even get a dusting! Thinking of you, Allie, and hope you are safe

Our mailbox here in NC isn’t locked, but the one in FL is.

Debbie – I always forget, how exactly do you pronounce “pho”. I know it isn’t phonetically.

Allie – so sorry for Mike and Sheila

Lector tonight

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    DH is looking for a new car. His old one needs to be replaced. He is looking for a hybrid dual fuel- electric plus gasoline. He will look at Toyota dealers. He is looking forward to seeing what is available.

Michele - We are hoping to see puppies in the next few days. I hope we find a healthy and happy puppy. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good luck.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    Options
    Well my aunt contacted me this morning..
    My cousins wife,Sheila who is just a peach they live in Minnesota.. I guess her daughter Candace fell in the shower and passed away at 36 yrs old.. I met her a few times and she was just an adorable thing and such a sweetheart. My heart hurts so much for Mike and Sheila.. she has lost so many family members in the last few years..
    Its so very very sad

So sorry to hear this. Such a young age.
    🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 For the family.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Allie - I'm so sorry about your cousin's wife. Such a terrible way to lose someone so young.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 38min 19sec, 135elev, 3.12ap, 87ahr, 113mhr, 5.17mi= 476c
    Strava app= 625c
    Walk home to gym- 9.54min, .52mi= 58c
    Strava app= 63c
    Treadmill jog- 31.34min, 5.8-7.0sp, 145ahr, 176mhr, 10.10min mi, 5k= 334c
    Lateral machine- 26min, 133ahr 155mhr, 54arpm, 10w, lvl5, 12.5laps, 2.87mi= 250c
    Walk gym to home- 11.03min, .52mi= 67c
    Strava app= 64c

Total cal 1185

Today is my 3600 logging streak!

Katla - glad to hear you got heat
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Gosh darn fleas are back. What a nuisance.

Great streak Pip!

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Lisa not my cousins wife,cousin's wifes daughter..
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Allie-sorry to hear about your cousin's family. She was so young. I wonder if there was an unknown underlying condition that lead to the fall?

Did not venture out into the cold today. I did walk inside the house for 1.5 hours and got three miles and over 10,000 steps. My pace is not as fast when I walk in the house-but I frequently, like today, text my son or read articles since walking from one end of house to the other is pretty boring. Going to be in the 30s tomorrow so I will walk outside.

Chili turned out pretty good. Of course, I just throw stuff together so it is never quite the same way twice!

Pip-congrats on logging streak. I won't say that all of my daily entries have been 100% correct, but even if I am just guessing like on vacation-putting something in keeps me from going completely off the rails.

Off to fill humidifiers then off to bed.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I did my 3 mins elliptical, 6 mins marching and 30 mins yoga. Yay!

And now for the dreaded Friday weigh- in: up about a pound to 170.2. So the penalty for my cookie binges wasn't too bad on the scale. It's worse for my self - esteem because I really felt like a failure. I haven't begun to find my way to losing two pounds a week. Well, I get another chance this week.

Annie in Delaware

Losing 2 lbs a week is a big effort. "They" actually recommend aiming for a maximum of 1 lb/week.

It is generally assumed that 1 lb is 3500 calories (although there is some recent disagreement about that). Therefore to lose 2 lb/week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories during the week.

That's a deficit of 1000 calories a day.

If your resting metabolic rate is about 1400 calories (that's the assumption for the average woman), you would need to be 1000 calories lower than that - 400 calories a day ... and of course, that is certainly NOT recommended!

But you could attain a deficit of 1000 calories a day by eating 1200 calories a day (that's a 200 calorie deficit) and exercising 800 calories a day.

800 calories of exercise would be things like cycling 40 km/day, walking over 15 km/day, running about 10 km/day etc. It's an effort!

So "they" recommend going for 1 lb/week. That's about a 500 calorie deficit.

You can attain a 500 calorie deficit by eating 1200 calories a day (200 calorie deficit) and exercising 300 calories a day.

300 calories would be things like cycling 15 km/day, walking about 6 km/day, running about 4 km/day. That's much more attainable.

Machka in Oz

I lost 2 lb per week very easily because of the exercise part of the program. I did the 1200 calories a day for eating. That would give a one pound weight loss. I never ate back my exercise calories. I did my kettlebell and walk or bike ride and my exercise calories ranged from 300 - 700+ per day which gave me another one pound loss. Sometimes more especially when I was heavier. Now that I am at maintenance I know that 1200 calories Will be my reality if I don't do any exercise I would start to gain back weight if I ate more. I am 5'4' tall. Now that I am at maintenance I can eat my exercise calories. That is the bonus when you get to your goal weight.

💞 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota

In Feb 2015, I joined MFP and was on a mission to lose weight. I ate net 1250 calories ... net because I exercised a lot and ate back some of my calories. Doing that, I was able to lose 1 kg/week. At the end of 15 weeks, I was down 15 kg (33 lbs).

I took a 1 month break at that point and ate whatever I wanted, but still exercised a lot. I put on a couple kg but my flights to and from Canada might have had something to do with that too. Flying makes a person retain water.

Then I settled on a net 1350 diet for the next 10 weeks and lost the extra couple kg plus another 10 kg over about 20 weeks. So just before Christmas 2015, I was 25 kg (55 lbs) down.

And kept it off until my husband had his accident in 2018.

I'm not prepared to do that again at the moment, but happily, I am slowly trending downward.

One thing that can be helpful is standing up. According to the calculator below, if I lie down, I burn about 88 calories/hour. If I sit at my computer, I burn about 132 calories per hour. If stand up and kind of move about a bit, I burn about 159 calories per hour.

https://www.dailycaloriescalculator.com/calories-burned-sleeping-standing-sitting-lying-in-bed

When I'm at work, I have to sit, but I do try to get up and do a short walk at least once an hour. I do the same when I'm at home in the evenings. But when I'm home on the weekends, I'm often up and walking around the house and garden doing housework and garden stuff. And I'll do that for several hours. It doesn't feel like extra exercise and probably doesn't burn a lot more but every little bit helps. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    So if my metabolic rate is 1350 and I eat 1100 calories a day, and I'm aiming for a 500 deficit, then I need 250 exercise calories a day that I don't eat back. I really need to ramp up my exercise, and count it more accurately.

My 90 mins of dumbbells might be 250 calories. But my yoga days aren't that much. Maybe I could do each video twice. Hmm.

Annie in Delaware
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    So if my metabolic rate is 1350 and I eat 1100 calories a day, and I'm aiming for a 500 deficit, then I need 250 exercise calories a day that I don't eat back. I really need to ramp up my exercise, and count it more accurately.

My 90 mins of dumbbells might be 250 calories. But my yoga days aren't that much. Maybe I could do each video twice. Hmm.

Annie in Delaware

My advice is that everybody is different! Definitely if you are trying to lose weight get a food scale! For my body carbs are fat cells waiting to find a place to hide! I lose more weight quickly on a keto diet. Now that I'm in maintenance I definitely try to watch the carbs! I have learned that I do best fasting 19:5 starting my 5 hour window around 5pm because I love to watch TV in the evening and eat! Also I'm extremely lazy so I swing my kettlebell. 10-25 minute workout but it's progressive overload the same as weight lifting. Very high calorie burn and great body transformation! At 64 I could enter a bathing suit contest with 20 year olds and possibly win! Never give up! If you screw up for a day or more CICO will work! Make your diet work for you! I have donut Monday and Pizza Tuesday and when we go to BINGO on Thursday lot's of snacks! I just don't go over 1200 calories and 100-200 exercise calories.

💞 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Lisa – Hope things go the way you want at the rheumatologist

Made some chocolate chip cookies to take to these 2 guys at work who have been very helpful to me when Jerry won’t/can’t (because he left) do something.

Rori – I’m so glad you had such a wonderful vacation. The view is spectacular

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Tonya Larson’s Pure Pump DVD. I didn’t realize it was as long as it is. Anyway, the plan for tomorrow is to do a portion of Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Walk Plan.

Getting a new garage door opener today. My old one would only go up ¼ of the way and then stop. Well, it’s 12 years old so it’s about time. Update: they just installed and I needed to help Vince program it, but that’s done now

Debbie – I always forget, how exactly do you pronounce “pho”. I know it isn’t phonetically.

Lector tonight

Michele NC

It is supposed to be pronounce "fu" but we usually do it phonetically- A friend's daughter always had to correct us when we said it wrong.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I love the way you tackle projects. I really love those domestic projects too, and I see them as enjoyable variations

Machka - I see outside projects that same way, too. When you get in that "flow" state and you look up hours later, surprised by how much time has passed, those are the days I love.

Ginny and Debbie - Oh lordy, yes, I'm looking forward to that day. I gather people used to have mortgage-burning parties, where they celebrated the accomplishment of paying their house off. Not in my family. The vast majority of my generation rent, and their children do too. No one seems to have any intention of doing anything else. Not saying that's a bad thing - just different priorities.

Barbara AHMOD - If you haven't already, you might think about freezing your credit or at least put a notification on it, so they'll notify you of anything sketchy on your credit, like someone trying to start a credit card in your name. I did that on Experian, and they notify the other two bureaus. It's free and gave me some peace of mind.

Rebecca - Your soup looks absolutely gorgeous and I have a sneaking fondness for Old Bay as well.

Allie - glad you're tucked in and safe from the storm.

Corey had to work this morning, so he's headed that way. Cold - 13 degrees out when I got up, and it's made it up to 26 now that the sun is up. Supposed to get near 60 today and just over 60 tomorrow. No wind outside at all - most unusual, but the flag is perfectly still, not even a breeze.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

I tossed the shrimp pieces in the Old Bay, it was delightful!💖👍
    Rebecca