WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    We are planning to meet the Poodle breeder on Sunday. We expect to meet Mama Poodle, but the puppies are not born yet. I’m looking forward to the meeting.

Lisa - The view from your snowy porch is lovely! Our view this morning is light fog. Our resident heron is wading at the edge between marshy grassland and shallow water.

I also saw a raccoon. Not happy to see it. A couple of years ago a rabid raccoon came up the ramp from the marina. The sheriff sent a deputy to capture it and dispose of it. It was a hazard to everyone in our community.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I think I just joined your FB Soup Lovers group. I LOVE SOUP (and stew). YUMMY. Just trying to stay warm. We're barely breaking 0F again this week.

Yeah! Seeing different soups make me happy! Its the lobster bisque soups that do me in though!!!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Lisa, ok making note of that "Lisa is not a soup fan" gotcha.👍😁
    Rebecca
    Wa
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Did six minutes on my elliptical again! Yay! And did my marching and my yoga for my 250 calories. Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    8cd6izlbk7jg.png

Machka in Oz

And cycling!

e7bf8ztrtrf4.png

The eucalyptus flowers are beautiful.
  • four__db
    four__db Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @MelleeLag If I had to comment in this group, I would have typed exactly what you did. Same age, new, lbs to loose and hoping to hear some good tips to continue on a healthy journey
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Carol - thanks for the support!!!

On my blood pressure, I have not had it taken since 2018 the last time I had a pap - and honestly I have no idea what the numbers were. I have no way to take it at home. Until the male nurse mentioned it I did not know you could do it at home. I am a complete novice at this whole thing.... watching at my mom's appointments is my only knowledge.

Kim
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Kim - I'd say that was no way to take an accurate blood pressure reading. You should be rested, calm, seated comfortably, arm relaxed and comfortable.
    Your BP varies all the time. It will usually be lower in the morning and higher in the afternoon. Higher after exercise. Lower if you've just peed. Higher after a cup of coffee. Higher in a cold environment! Definitely higher when you're under stress because a nurse has just freaked out and chased you down three flights of stairs! Sheesh!
    If you can get hold of a reasonably priced but reliable monitor, it might be worthwhile to buy it and keep tabs on your BP. Or ask around. Maybe someone has one you could borrow for a while. Then you could self-monitor as Tina suggests. Otherwise, talk (calmly!) to your regular doctor.
    /Penny, currently with a (for me) relatively high evening BP of 134/76 near the
    t07190.gif
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Kim-There are reasonably priced self-monitors on Amazon. Just do a quick search and you'll find all kinds of options. We have the wrist cuffs, but I just saw new, small upper arm cuff model the other day that was in the $30 range. I suspect your local CVS/Walgreens also has something.

Tina in CA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Kim, my local pharmacy will take my blood pressure for me if I ask. Maybe try that on a day when you are calm and rested.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Ladies - thanks one and all for guideness and suggestions... I knew this group would be able to help... I think I will check around for a blood pressure machine to borrow, if I can take it a few times prior to my primary doc's telemedicine appointment that would be good. (or Katiebug I can check with my pharmacy)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Kim))) - Penny & Tina have good advice. In your situation I would talk to a pharmacist first. If they check your BP and have no worries, you may be okay. If they are worried, an appointment with a professional nurse practitioner or doctor would be important. ❤️
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Kim, a lot of pharmacies here have a BP machine where you sit down, comfortably with feet on the floor, slide your arm into a sleeve and hit the start button. It is of course, a bit uncomfortable when the sleeve inflates but pretty easy and reasonably accurate. Would there be a pharmacy near you that would have one of those? We have one at home too, it was reasonably priced and is pretty easy to use.

Evelyn Vancouver Island