WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 25min 18sec, 107elev, 3.31ap, 95ahr, 117mhr, 8.06mi= 720c
    Strava app= 973c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 36.27min, 171elev, 18.2amph, 98aw, 131ahr, 166mhr 11.07mi= 299c
    Strava app= 203c
    Zwift stats- 36.28min, 171elev, 97aw, 65arpm, 18.26amph, 11.1mi= 204c
    Other- 10.14min, sweep front walkway and patio = 67c

Total cal 1086

In the beginning of the week I saw that I was burning over 1k calories for the day, I was happy that I did that for the whole week
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked, stopped at the Salvation Army then went to the gym. Then prebowled 3 games. For some reason, I am really tired. Also did a load of laundry.

Barbara – nope, never figured out what made my feet bleed that one day. Not having a problem now

katla – good luck to you finding a doggie and glad you got to yoga

Vicki -so glad you didn’t have a fire. Thank goodness for dh

Kim – one of the things that can raise your bp is if you are running (like you ran downstairs)

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yoga today was a pleasure. The class is always excellent. 😊 We’ve done our grocery shopping, and visited Walgreens pharmacy so DH could move his prescriptions there. For now I’m staying at the pharmacy I’ve used for many years.

If all goes well we may meet the mamma poodle and the breeder in the next few days. Puppies are not born yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good experience with the breeder.🐩

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    DD had the day off today so we went in to Belview and I got my TSA precheck completed. Yay, now I can use the short line at the airport and don't have to take off my shoes. Good timing too as I am going to San Diego to visit my son March 10-14. I am going to enjoy the sun and sand I hope.

Katla - good luck with the breeder visit. I have had 2 standard poodles and love them. I currently have a labradoodle, a lab standard poodle cross.

Kim - I have a home BP monitor and the readings vary but stay pretty much in the normal range. I have never heard of taking a BP the way that nurse did. My cardiologist likes for me to take readings at home and e-mail to him as he feels that is more accurate than the office.

Believe in your capacity to change, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    This has been a busy day and I’m ready to stay home for the rest of the evening. We plan to meet the dog breeder in person and meet the mama dog on Sunday. I hope this will be a good visit. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a good situation.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Had a lovely dinner with Trudy and Susan and a couple of laughs as we usually do..
    Home and in bed now
    I have a wrist BP cuff wasnt expensive ans i also bought a pulsometer for my finger those come in handy to to check pulse and oxygen levels
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    I’ve had an adventure this morning and hope one of you with more medical knowledge can help me… I can google it but I know there is a lot of bizarre stuff on the internet…

I am basically healthy, and rarely go to the doctor, but I do go in for a mammogram and a pap smear at the recommended times. Today I went in for a pap and had some questions for my OBGYN who I had not seen for 3 years. (any only one time before that – so not really a relationship) The nurse sat me down and took my blood pressure, I am short but the “bed” was high so I jumped up and sat there – feet not touching the floor, and took the blood pressure on an arm that she set up on a bar so my hand was above my head and stretch back, super uncomfortable – I mentioned both of these to her and she said it wasn’t a problem (with my mom her health providers are super careful her feet are flat on the floor and her arm is in a comfortable position) it came back “high” 155 over 79 so she decided I should have it taken again at the end of the appointment. Ok? After a pap in a room that was cold, still in a ½ gown (just a paper thing over the front top of me) and I am uncomfortably cold and a bit uncomfortable from the pap itself. The nurse takes my blood pressure again, this time standing but same arm configuration. 177 over 79. Time for freak out. Makes me an appointment to have it taken in a different department in 2 minutes – I need to get dressed quickly and run down the back 3 flights of stairs in the door and to the first door on the right. Ok, do that – sit waiting for 5 minutes, while I deep breath and try to relax. This nice male nurse? LVN? takes it again standing this time with my arm on a table at a very comfortable angle 144/79 he tells me it is considered elevated, not high and I need to have an appointment with my regular doc, which is scheduled for 2 weeks from now.

So my question is what types of things make blood pressure high, and is this potentially a ridiculous run around?
    Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day
    Smiles Kim in N. California

Google 'white coat syndrome'.

Most Drs here know that people's BPs will likely be high when they are in the Drs office, so when I come in with 144/79 they tell me I'm likely normal.

We have a blood pressure cuff at home although I can usually tell when my BP is up a bit by the ringing in my ears - it gets louder.

That BP cuff helped my husband and me detect his heart attack last May. 3 weeks before the heart attack, he took his BP and it was way high ... like 200/110. I told him to sit and relax and "box breathe" for 5 minutes and then take it again. Still high. So I drove him into ED and it was still high when they took it. We spent the night in ED ... him on the bed and me sitting in a hard chair until it finally came down.

3 weeks later he had the heart attack and we were back in ED ... but they had all his notes from the previous episode and that helped his diagnosis.

200/110 is high.

144/79 is not overly high.

Because of 'white coat syndrome', I usually do a little "box breathing" while my doctor is getting the equipment ready which helps calm things down. :)

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :)Kim I've heard of "white coat syndrome " which is that just being at the doctor's office may raise your blood pressure significantly. Finding a way to take your blood pressure in a more neutral setting is a good idea 💡
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Kim I've heard of "white coat syndrome " which is that just being at the doctor's office may raise your blood pressure significantly. Finding a way to take your blood pressure in a more neutral setting is a good idea 💡

Yes. I have white coat syndrome. And then I developed a new "Oncology" syndrome. My blood pressure at oncology appointments is 30-40 points higher than even at my regular GP.

You've been given good advice, Kim. If you can, I would invest in a home monitor. I think you will get more accurate readings.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    B) thanks everyone!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Kim - I have been having to monitor my BP daily since October when it was high at my physical. She had me monitor 3 times a day for two weeks. She told me to sit with my arm at ease. She said you have to sit still and you should do it three times in succession and note the last one.

I did have to go on a BP med, but she has already cut the dose in half.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    Enjoying some Sweet and Spicy cinnamon tea(herbal), watched the Opening ceremonies of the winter Olympics and now going to read a bit- I have been reading some trilogies by Beverly Lewis- a Christian Amish writer. Nice relaxing stuff.
    Week was ok for the most part, except Wed. right before leaving for Zumba my son comes in the house and says he was just hit(his truck) as he was pulling into our driveway. He was turning in and the girl tried to pass him on the LEFT- hit his back driverside with her front passenger side. There was an ice cream truck and we think she was trying to pass that and wasn't paying attention to my son turning in. She was so far over in the other lane that she almost hit our van and my car that were parked on the street on our side of the street.Her mom jumped out of the car and was going off- crazy- her daughter just sat in the car, shaken but calm, my son was calm, I was calm, then grandma came down the street- I guess she lives down there, she was very calm. My husband came home and I was proud of him for staying well, pretty calm. We don't know if the mom was on the phone to someone or just recording everything(she kept saying she was recording it). We finally just had the "kids" exchange info and turned it into their insurances- we felt bad for the girl- 18 and mom wouldn't stop rant-that made the girl feel even worse. The mom kept saying it was my son's fault because he turned in our driveway.

Going up to see Charlotte(MsBeadle) and her husband again tomorrow- Dh wants to look at more of Michael's meteorite jewelry. I made more cracker toffee( she loved the last batch I made them) and made caramel corn and maple pecan fudge to take up for them- Early birthday treat for her and for Michael.
    No idea what else we will do this weekend.

I should start getting the roses and raspberries pruned- the roses already have new buds/growth starting- never did stop blooming completely

Good night ladies- Have a wonderful weekend.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    edited February 2022
    Options
    We had a lovely face-time visit with our son. He is house hunting and has found a good possibility. We’re hoping for a happy outcome. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this one. ❤️

Here, at home, we are getting ready to visit the woman who’s poodle might be the mother of future poodle puppies. I hope one of those new puppies will be just right for us.

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    edited February 2022
    Options
    B)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO, active :
    Bonus: call : Postmaster about stolen mail, asked and emailed re: informed delivery to PO Box, changed credit card expiry with JPR, BiMart, Post Office, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s
    Workin’ on it: 141.9, H20x6,
    Friendly February 2022
    4: Organize a virtual ‘tea break’ with a colleague or a friend. Asked C if interested in un-birthday at BTB.
    5: Make time to have a friendly chat with a neighbor. OK if I see the Foxes when picking up the mail, I’ll stop and chat.

Penny in your father’s dream was your mother young? In my dreams Mama and Papa are.
    Barbie :love: the pic of Sasha and Brandy.
    Pip likewise :love: the zonked out Yogi pic.
    Lisa [brr] saw Arkansas on the Weather channel last evening and thought of you.
    Annie congrats on continuing your elliptical and yoga. Good advice about playing with the puppy and seeing what motivates him/her. What did the nice young cardiologist tell your mom about that 220/90 BP?
    Vicki thankful for more time with Jake and for your roomie’s sense of smell. Brava for continuing with the gym.
    Kim sorry for your discomfort at your appointment today, not to mention the BP panic. Sounds like mentioning your discomfort was not enough to get through to the nurse. Sometimes it takes a little more oomph. Agree with Carol, Tina, Penny, Kay, Katla, Evelyn, Sue, Allie, Machka, Barbie, Flea and Tracey. I find the automatic BP machines downright painful, so I insist the nurse take manually. Same with home devices, the arm one hurt too much to use, but the wrist one is tolerable. PA pooh poohed the wrist style ‘til she tested it in the office after taking with her manual set up. Accuracy was fine.
    Welcome @four__db ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Rita whooshing healing to your DS and energy to you and your DD.
    Allie thanks for the oximeter recommendation, I should get one of those too.
    Debbie Brava for staying calm in the face of that woman’s ranting.

Struggling a little to get back to activity routine but managing to make step and CI<CO goals. Zooming tomorrow with god daughter and her 6(!) children for the first time. Hope to keep it short but to do it frequently. Want to get to know them better and this seems like the best way. Suggestions welcome.

Cocoa and biscotti are gone, time to turn in.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    hnv8r1kfzbmh.gif