Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My friend drinks normal soda and is close to obese. I drink diet and I'm not. We both punched science in the face.

LOVE THIS!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Couple of threads on diet drinks today (and all days). I don't understand why people care? SURELY, for all those who stay away from the "evils" of cancer/fat/all disease causing fizzy goodness should encourage us guzzlers to drink more?

Think about it, the more people drink coke, the more we die of cancer (or obesity or just death), the worlds population goes down and the people left are awesomely healthy and able to survive things like zombie attacks/asteroid hits/y'know life etc... WIN!

No?

P.s. This marshmellow vodka of which you speak.... where can I obtain such a thing?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I've drank one can of Diet Coke a day for over 25 years.
    According to my BMI (if you consider that a valid measuring tool), I've never been overweight.
    Ever.
    :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to prove. Nor do I feel compelled to "prove" anything.
    Usually stated by someone who hasn't done any real research nor participate in an actual factual debate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    "The "statement" was an implication that the "lifestyle" (whatever that means; you didn't mention what "lifestyle" you were talking about) will lead to long-term health effects.

If you think that's true, prove it."

I have nothing to prove.

Pretty much par for the course on the internet. People with zero knowledge or expertise feel 100% confident making bold claims about the future and others' health anonymously on the internet, and they completely lack the intellectual honesty to even feel they have any obligation to support their ludicrous claims.

Don't worry. What you do here is a product of the combination of ego, anonymity, and a worldwide audience. It's really not your fault you don't feel the need to support your grandiose claims about the future health of other people with logic or facts; it's just what people do when they can hide behind anonymous usernames and don't actually try to have cohesive thoughts.

Classic case of projection...And you are delusional if you think this message board deals in facts.

[/quote]BW, "Carl Sagen" isn't a person. Well, he may be a person, but he's not the person you're thinking of.[/quote]

Talk about EGO! You presume to know who I was or wasn't thinking of? And Carl Sagen isn't a person? What, because he is dead??? And BTW it is exactly who I was thinking of. If you can't see the logic in that, oh well. No worries here.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    you are delusional if you think this message board deals in facts.

That says it all.
    "Carl Sagen" isn't a person. Well, he may be a person, but he's not the person you're thinking of.

Talk about EGO! You presume to know who I was or wasn't thinking of? And Carl Sagen isn't a person? What, because he is dead??? And BTW it is exactly who I was thinking of. If you can't see the logic in that, oh well. No worries here.

Presumably you mean Carl Sagan. You'd think a "fan" of his would know how to spell his name. It's awfully short.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Why on earth was I ignoring this entertaining *kitten* thread? :drinker:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    tumblr_moad1fwFpq1r3wac6o1_r1_500.gif

Oh Cersei why you so evil and awesome? Bet she drinks diet coke, although if she did she'd be fatter right?

edit due to sausage fingers........... mmmmm sausage
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I don't know why these articles always have sensationalize data.

"the diet drinkers are at increased risk for disease" =/= diet drinks lead to obesity.

And if the gut stops processing sugary drinks, how the heck does the sugar turn to fat??? :huh:

There is no proof that diet drinks cause obesity. Just that a lot of diet drink drinkers are obese. That suggests some correlation and gets the "risk" label.

Perhaps the fact that they are obese is why they are drinking diet. Perhaps they feel they can supersize their fries because they are saving caorlies with a diet drink. Perhaps the body triggers hunger to get the engery it thought it would get from the artificial sweetener. Perhaps diet drinks really do cause obesity in some people. The data raises a lot of good questions that need explored. But it doesn't provide proof of anything other than more study is needed.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero keeps me from being obese. It helps with my sugar cravings. If I didn't drink Coke Zero from time to time, I would wind up with my face stuck in a bag of cookies and not come up for air until they were all gone.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh no, not the diet drinks! Pepsi max how could you do this to me? I thought we were friends? I mean, I've lose nearly 18 pounds since switcing but it says right here you're going to make me obese! :sad:

4396686.jpg

Don't you look at me like that Pepsi Max! We're OVER

You should be drinking Coke Zero anyways

I don't like coke. I've had half a 2-liter of diet coke in my frig for about 3 weeks now.

WHAT

How can you *not* like diet coke.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Oh no, not the diet drinks! Pepsi max how could you do this to me? I thought we were friends? I mean, I've lose nearly 18 pounds since switcing but it says right here you're going to make me obese! :sad:

4396686.jpg

Don't you look at me like that Pepsi Max! We're OVER

You should be drinking Coke Zero anyways

I don't like coke. I've had half a 2-liter of diet coke in my frig for about 3 weeks now.

WHAT

How can you *not* like diet coke.

Because it's not "Elvis Presley/ Girls are sexy/ Sittin in hot tub/ Drinkin diet COKE"
    get a clue
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Diet Coke is so much better than Diet Pepsi it's embarrassing. Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi, but Pepsi is fine. Diet Pepsi is just.... bad. I don't understand why.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is so much better than Diet Pepsi it's embarrassing. Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi, but Pepsi is fine. Diet Pepsi is just.... bad. I don't understand why.

What do you get at taco bell?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Diet Dew. Not all of em have that, though, so I settle for Diet Pepsi.

Out of a fountain it's actually not quite so bad. It's still bad but it's drinkable. From a can or bottle, Diet Pepsi is just...... gah.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Or DDP. And how awesome is it that they have Diet Dew where you are?! The only place I've ever seen that is Quizno's, and all the Q's around here have gone the way of the dodo.

But Diet Pepsi is just nasty. BRB... Going to buy a 44 oz. DDP so I can get obese.

Diet Dew. Not all of em have that, though, so I settle for Diet Pepsi.

Out of a fountain it's actually not quite so bad. It's still bad but it's drinkable. From a can or bottle, Diet Pepsi is just...... gah.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Except of course you. What's that like, btw?

Rude much? It wasn't an "argument" it was a statement herpderp. My point is simple: as someone who has been on this earth a little bit longer than others, all the things you think you know to be true (and on this forum ABSOLUTE), aren't always constant. Your body changes over time. Ask your Mom or Dad, or your Grandparents. And what works for you - including drinking diet soda and eating ice cream everyday, may not always. And for those of you, who have aged perfectly, please spare me (or drank a twelve of diet everyday and are perfectly healthy).

My comment obviously didn't end any semblence of logical debate or exchange of information because this the MFP! Hardly a debate society - which you obviously want to join.

Knowing this, btw, is great. It makes me a better, more understanding, and nicer person. You might want to try that sometime.

Rude? Rude like hand waving fear mongering based on...nothing but an ominous warning that at some point something may happen cause of some lifestyle or Rude like dismissing all those older than you who don't have those issues based on whatever lifestyle as just having aged perfectly. Because there are varying degrees of rude and I like to know where I come in.

Also on the note of my family my mother drinks a diet Pepsi (screw coke folks. It tastes like *kitten*, I won't even use it with my booze.) At ever meal, including breakfast, and is lighter and healthier now than when she was in high school. My great grandmother drinks a gallon of scotch a week and still lives on her own, drives her own car, and seems to be doing fine, aside from being 80. She drinks diet RC cola. I guess I have 'perfect aging' to look forward to. Go me.

And finally I have no desire to get into hand wavy take it on faith/my experience fear tactics so I think I'll refrain from striving to be at all nice and understanding like you.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.

This 'argument' is such a silly cop out, it ends any semblance of logical debate or exchange of information. There is literally no rebuttal because herpderp, none of us are magical wizards who can see into the future.

Except of course you. What's that like, btw?
    His point stands. Each of us makes decisions we believe in. And time will tell if we're right.

We're sure we are, but time will tell.

I'm healthy now. Mr doctor confirms this, blood tests confirm this, my increase in strength and endurance confirms this but yet somehow in someway I may be unhealthy 20 years from now (In spite of all the research that points to their being no ill effect to diet drinks unless one is drinking what equates to 3 24 packs or something equally as insane a day, and even then that's only in rats and hey, I'm not a rat), and that constitutes a good point? Or is it just the pitiful grasping of someone with nothing else to say?

Unless of course his point is "Hey I don't have anything of actual value to say so I'm just gonna shut down conversation by saying that you might somehow end up unhealthy 20 years down the line!" . In which case yeah, his point stands.
    We thought margarine and transfats were fine too.
    Shut er down.

cheers.

And then we did studies to prove differently.

Just like we study diet sodas and the things in them. Nothing is more studied than aspartame, as far as substances consumed by humans go (Not hyperbole) and nothing has shown any issues. So what are those thousands of studies missing that's gonna show up later? At what point are all those studies enough to trust that something isn't harmful? A thousand more? Ten thousand? A million? At what stage do we go 'Yeah, All of those piles of research may have a point.'?

Worst. Shutdown. Ever.
    wasn't my shutdown. YOU wanted to. I said go for it.
    Who sponsored those studies?
    I'm NOT saying it causes obesity!!!!!
    I am asking if we know enough.
    Id bet not.

Good night.

Is it time for
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

They do cause cancer

:explode:
    Are you this rude and immature in "real life"?
    Enjoy your soda and all the other things you're sure of. cheers

Yes, yes I am. I usually refer to it as having a low tolerance for unsubstantiated bull crap but I could see where rude and immature could be the take away for someone making claims/implications (such as that studies into artificial sweeteners aren't to be trusted) and not backing them up.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You can't mess with evolution and mother nature.

Artificial sweeteners are a kind of cheating. Nature doesn’t like cheating, and our bodies are paying the price of decades of artificial crap in our diets. Perhaps it’s time to clean up?
    Nature is a metaphor, not a person. Nature, being a metaphor, is not capable of liking or disliking cheating.
    This. And lol @ mother nature comments. We are already cheating death with our medical technology of today.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just for everyone's information, there's an empty 20-oz of Diet Dew and another of Diet Dr Pepper in my trash can right now. They were both opened this morning. I plan on having another liter of diet soda at Boston Market tonight.
This discussion has been closed.