Diet drinks lead to obesity

Options

Replies

• mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel like there's always a new study saying do this or that and it will kill you. Well next week the next scientist comes out with another study proving the first one wrong. I think that diet Soda is better than regular soda. Neither are natural and probably aren't really good for you, but at least with diet you aren't consuming the calories.

Let's face it. If you drink soda you probably drink a lot. People are so extreme on this issue.
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you Lyerin!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I feel like there's always a new study saying do this or that and it will kill you. Well next week the next scientist comes out with another study proving the first one wrong. I think that diet Soda is better than regular soda. Neither are natural and probably aren't really good for you, but at least with diet you aren't consuming the calories.

Let's face it. If you drink soda you probably drink a lot. People are so extreme on this issue.
    Nah, the 44 oz. thing happens seldom anymore. Used to happen several times a day. I cut back when my husband gave it up. Now I usually have 0-2 20 oz. bottles a day.

As you can see, I have not yet exploded from drinking it, but the day ain't over yet.

As one of my favorite uncles (a hard-core full-sugar Mt. Dew drinker) says, "You're gonna feel pretty stupid lying in the hospital dying of nothing."
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I don't know why these articles always have sensationalize data.

"the diet drinkers are at increased risk for disease" =/= diet drinks lead to obesity.

And if the gut stops processing sugary drinks, how the heck does the sugar turn to fat??? :huh:

There is no proof that diet drinks cause obesity. Just that a lot of diet drink drinkers are obese. That suggests some correlation and gets the "risk" label.

Perhaps the fact that they are obese is why they are drinking diet. Perhaps they feel they can supersize their fries because they are saving caorlies with a diet drink. Perhaps the body triggers hunger to get the engery it thought it would get from the artificial sweetener. Perhaps diet drinks really do cause obesity in some people. The data raises a lot of good questions that need explored. But it doesn't provide proof of anything other than more study is needed.

I think this is a very good point.

By the time most studies on human nutrition and human behavior get to the popular media (any news outlet that many people listen to/watch/read counts in my "popular media") they've generally been distorted by one agenda or another. You really can't tell what the original study said without looking at the study itself … usually they will say something along the above lines of "correlation" and "statistically singnificant" and often point to "more studies needed."

Let's face it, the subject of nutrition and weight loss is very complicated. It is also very emotionally charged. Which is why these threads tend to degenerate to bickering and name calling :ohwell:

The only thing that gets my goat are those who come across with the attitude of "Hey, new study, so you must eliminate X from your diet" or "Ooh, look at this article, now we know we must include Y in our diets." If I'm not paying you as my doctor or dietician, you don't get to tell me how to eat. [I accept that there are some people who've just read an article that illuminated something they hadn't realized before and want to share it, but to be honest, most people sharing articles and such are only sharing things that promote the ideas they've already established.]

Of course, I could always stop reading these kinds of posts, then nobody could be accused of telling me I'm doing it wrong. :laugh:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Fear mongering? Come back and testify in 20 years was a challenge, nothing more. No name calling (what is up with that, are you 12?). No put downs. No slams. But apparently it offended you greatly. Sorry. That really wasn't my point. Age changes your body. In most people. I don't believe in absolutes. I don't believe what is true for me is true for anyone else either. I merely have an OPINION. And like a**holes, so does everyone else.

My grandfather smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 45 years and didn't die of cancer. I still don't smoke. Maybe I should.

Sincerely, I am happy for you and your Mom, and your Grandma and wish you the very best.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Come back and testify to that lifestyle in 15 or 20 years. I would love to hear all about it.
    Are you this rude and immature in "real life"?
    Enjoy your soda and all the other things you're sure of. cheers

Doomsaying like the above is not only rude, it's also incredibly arrogant. You're making a prediction that something is going to happen 15-20 years from now based on what exactly? Nothing at all. You have zero evidence to base this claim on, so it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

How awesome and mature you are to hope someone suffers medical problems so that you can feel like you won an argument. You must be so proud.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Are you calling me obese!?!?! Rude.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    :angry: NOPE drank them all my life and still not obese
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A news source reported the grass is pink. It must be true.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Fear mongering? Come back and testify in 20 years was a challenge, nothing more. No name calling (what is up with that, are you 12?). No put downs. No slams. But apparently it offended you greatly. Sorry. That really wasn't my point. Age changes your body. In most people. I don't believe in absolutes. I don't believe what is true for me is true for anyone else either. I merely have an OPINION. And like a**holes, so does everyone else.

My grandfather smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 45 years and didn't die of cancer. I still don't smoke. Maybe I should.

Sincerely, I am happy for you and your Mom, and your Grandma and wish you the very best.

I didn't call you any names, unless you think calling you a wizard is name calling. You however have called me immature, implied I must be a child, claimed there is no science/debate to be had on MFP, and that my lifestyle will harm me, unless I have some manner of perfect aging.

To imply that someone's lifestyle is going to cause them ill healthy is rude and a slam (Since it says the way they live their life/what they believe is healthy is wrong) and really far more rude then me telling you that your 'statement' is a silly, doomsaying, attempt at conversation shut down. You can call it a challenge all you want (Because we know MFP will be here 20 year from now, that you'll still be alive at 72, and that none of us will have been hit by cars.) but really it's just a thinly veiled way of putting other people's life choices down.

Opinions can be wrong. Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it some holy grail that can't be called silly or challenged or nitpicked and when you state your opinion you should really have more than "That's just like my opinion man." to back you up, especially when you're taking jabs at how other people live their lives. It's my opinion that aliens live inside of Mars. I have no proof, nothing to back this up and in fact studies of mars indicate the opposite of my opinion but screw that, it's my opinion and so it's worthwhile.

Except not.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bull$hit!

One's laziness and stuffing pie hole is the path.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    They do cause cancer. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague!!

I don't know if it causes cancer. I don't know if it causes obesity. But I am convinced it kills brain cells. I have no scientific proof for this...other than this thread. But, it was enough and I am now convinced. :tongue:

Btw, I don't touch the stuff.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I don't know if it causes cancer. I don't know if it causes obesity. But I am convinced it kills brain cells. I have no scientific proof for this...other than this thread. But, it was enough and I am now convinced. :tongue:

Considering some of the posts in this thread, I'm more inclined to believe that diet soda generates brain cells.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Considering some of the posts in this thread, I'm more inclined to believe that diet soda generates brain cells.

Interesting. I'd also add on I believe it creates a complete lack of self awareness. Hmmmm.
  • Achrya
    Options

Interesting. I'd also add on I believe it creates a complete lack of self awareness. Hmmmm.

But it does give you the handy ability to read and comprehend research studies and pinpoint nonsensical statements based in nothing but 'feelings' and 'opinions' when they're presented to you.

Seems like a decent tradeoff.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

There's a difference between being aware of something and caring about it. :wink:
  • Mslmesq
    Options

But it does give you the handy ability to read and comprehend research studies and pinpoint nonsensical statements based in nothing but 'feelings' and 'opinions' when they're presented to you.

well now we can go back on forth on this all day...but I need to move on now.

Enjoy the rest of your imaginary popcorn. :bigsmile:
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options

This!! Lulz
  • Achrya
    Options

well now we can go back on forth on this all day...but I need to move on now.

Enjoy the rest of your imaginary popcorn. :bigsmile:

You don't want to play the game you started? Party pooper.

I don't lol my way through MFP with imaginary popcorn, I do it properly, with an irl ice cream float made with diet soda. Anything else is just silly. :yawn:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    panic-gif.gif
This discussion has been closed.