September 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I saw this and thought of @rheddmobile.
    Speaking of @rheddmobile does anyone have contact with her outside of MFP/Strava? I'm just curious what she's been up to.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @tarun_yadavA - I looked to see what The Boys is about as I wasn't familiar with it. Apparently Amazon has it rated at 18+ Mature Audiences, so not for kids or even HS age teens generally.
    Cookies are my downfall, especially homemade so I generally just don't make them unless for a holiday or specific occasion. I will buy ice cream once in a while but try not to have it in the house because my husband will eat it all and he doesn't need it.
    Carrots and hummus go great with a glass or two of white wine, just sayin' 😊

@quilteryoyo - Hobbes was all red when he was younger. Kind of like Beaux is now. Vizslas should be all that reddish brown unicolor, including their nose and eyes. For the longest time I thought Hobbes just had some lovely golden red fur on his chin and then slowly it and his paws all turned white and I noticed the other day he is getting some white on his back too now.
    Hobbes when he was about the same age as Beaux. No white anywhere...
    349cmu3t574q.jpg
    t7bm9kj9n5cw.jpg

Took the pups out early for a walk. The overnight low was 77F so it was already warm when we headed out but I decided I probably wouldn't go out for a run if I took them back home so we headed off to the trail. Ran a bit along the dirt by the river. Beaux was so excited because there were birds and rabbits and SO many squirrels out running around. We went down along the paved trail half way too, staying in the shade. I felt the pavement and it wasn't too warm yet even though it was really getting hot out. We headed home the short route and again stayed in the shade as much as possible. It was 91F feels like 96 when we got home. Both pups were dragging but as soon as we came inside they grabbed toys and were ready to play. Now they are both zonked out!

Also found out from some of our neighbors that the skunks have destroyed their back yards trying to dig up grubs. Another neighbor's dog (Rottweiler) has been sprayed twice recently. Also found out that vector control/animal control won't help. Apparently they are protected and you cannot trap them which really surprised me.

@shanaber hi! IPAs are my favourite. Occasional Scotch/Bourbon too. Not sure they lend themselves to carrot sticks and hummus! 😊

As for The Boys! Yes, definitely not for 14. 🤦
    "Dad it's based on DC Comic books". I thought, 'how bad can it be?'.
    Wrong.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    1 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 2.50 mile
    2 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 2.00 mile
    3 Sept - Walk = 1.00 mile - NO RUN

6.90 mile/90 mile goal

I was unusually tired today, so decided to do a minimal walk and hope to get my scheduled 7 mile long run in on Monday.

Sorry it got hot half way through your run @Scott6255 . Great job on hanging in there and getting it done.

@tarun_yadavA Great job on loosing that amount of weight and keeping it off for so long! That's awesome.

@shanaber Hobbes was a handsome fellow - still is. That is interesting that their paws become white with age too. Nice running and glad you had enough shade to make those temps bearable. Interesting that skunks are protected and you can't trap them and take them somewhere else. Humm. The person who was going to trap mine was not an employee of animal control, but was a private business that they referred me to. They can carry rabies, so you would think they would want to keep them away from people as much as possible.

@polskagirl01 I've wondered about @rheddmobile too. I do not have any other contact with her though.

Great job on your run and amazing increase in time over the week @marisap2010 . Good luck with your 10K on Monday.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Checking in after disappearing for a while.
    @shanaber I just saw your question in the August thread - thanks for thinking of me.

I don't even have a total to post for August yet, I haven't kept up with my spreadsheet for a couple of weeks. It's been spotty. September is not starting off very strong either, but I ran at least a little bit each day so far. I'll try to catch up on totals, hopefully tomorrow. It's been just a tough summer at work and personally. Work is just one major crisis after another it seems. Things are maybe looking up on the personal front though, which makes a huge difference in coping with the work situation. Along with the promise of cooler fall weather I'm hoping that will also help to get back to a little bit of the running mojo back. I'm keeping my expectations low, and my goal is mostly "don't quit".

I've skimmed through posts. Cheering for those of you racing and training for upcoming fall races. Relating to the eating and drinking downfalls. I'm a sucker for happy hour apps and drinks as a reward when I can, and I've been rewarding myself for surviving a lot :)

@shanaber - skunks are a problem here too. Stella got sprayed a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night when I let her out. It must have been not a direct hit because she was not as bad as it could be, but she came in and had to be bathed at 4 in the morning. She's been having recurrent ear infections too and I took her to the vet for that maybe a week after the skunking and I could no longer smell it but the vet right away asked me if she got skunked. It comes out when they are anxious/excited I guess.

I'll try to keep up better. Hope everyone has a good weekend, and hopefully the day off on Monday - it's supposed to rain all day here which is a disappointment but I'll take the day off for sure.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @katharmonic! Glad things are going maybe a little better for you!
    I heard from a friend today that they had to get a special shampoo from the vet to get the smell out on their pup who really got sprayed. They tried everything and couldn't get rid of it. The pup got sprayed when they were hiking up in the hills and by their car. It got the outside of the car too and of course inside because they had to drive home to bath the dog. I feel very fortunate that we have not had to deal with it so far!
    @quilteryoyo - if we continue to have problems I may call a private company to get rid of them. Actually might get with some of the neighbors and see if we can get a number of them since they seem to be roaming around here. I would love to know where they go during the day too.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA Great job on your run! I'm not a huge ice cream person, but during my run this morning, I thought that a milkshake might be good, so I did get a peach milkshake from Chick-fil-a after.

@shanaber Looks like Hobbes and Beaux are having a good time together. :)

Good job on your foundation run @quilteryoyo.

I ran tomorrow's long run today since I'll be out of town tomorrow and to give myself some time to rest before Monday's 10k. Schedule called for a 16 mile "Fast Finish" - .5 miles Z1, 14 miles Z2, 1.5 miles Z3. I finished 2 minutes faster than last Sunday's 16 mile interval run. It was overcast for most of the run, with the starting temp at 71F.

@marisap2010 thank you!! Peach milkshake sounds yum!! 😊

Good luck on your 10k tomorrow
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options

6.90 mile/90 mile goal

I was unusually tired today, so decided to do a minimal walk and hope to get my scheduled 7 mile long run in on Monday.

Sorry it got hot half way through your run @Scott6255 . Great job on hanging in there and getting it done.

@tarun_yadavA Great job on loosing that amount of weight and keeping it off for so long! That's awesome.

@shanaber Hobbes was a handsome fellow - still is. That is interesting that their paws become white with age too. Nice running and glad you had enough shade to make those temps bearable. Interesting that skunks are protected and you can't trap them and take them somewhere else. Humm. The person who was going to trap mine was not an employee of animal control, but was a private business that they referred me to. They can carry rabies, so you would think they would want to keep them away from people as much as possible.

@polskagirl01 I've wondered about @rheddmobile too. I do not have any other contact with her though.

Great job on your run and amazing increase in time over the week @marisap2010 . Good luck with your 10K on Monday.

@quilteryoyo thank you so much!!! 😊
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm glad to see you back @katharmonic . Sorry about your rough summer. I do hope the cooler weather and September treat you better. It's supposed to be a rainy week here too, so not really looking forward to that, but at least I have a treadmill and lots of housework I can catch up on when I'm off tomorrow.

@shanaber That sounds like a great idea - getting together with the neighbor's to find someone to relocate them. If you call someone who is knowledgeable, they may be able to find their den....may know what types of places they like and sniff them out. I hope Hobbes and Beaux don't get skunked. I've had to deal with that with Tippy (not direct, but enough) and it isn't pleasant. If you do, I think I've heard to put Dawn on them before wetting them down. The Dawn will break down the oil. We all know that oil and water don't mix, so putting water first tends to spread it around instead of getting it off. Of course, I learned this after I washed Tippy. LOL

I am listening to the news this morning and they are talking about the jogger who was abducted. Sounds like they found the vehicle with a man inside, but no sign of the teacher. The family is offering a reward for finding her. I hope they do. It's so sad and scary.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Awesome work @eleanorhawkins!! I’m so happy you were able to do your race and you did great!!

As for the ice cream convo, I LOVE ice cream. It’s probably my favorite dessert overall. There was a time where I could eat it all the time. As I have gotten older and cleaned up my daily eating, I just can’t do a lot of sugar anymore. So, every couple of months I get an ice cream craving, buy a pint, and usually finish it over the weekend. Then I’m good for a couple more months. I do eat lots of ice cream adjacent desserts during the week. Yasso and enlightened bars, Italian ice, that sort of thing. But sometimes, only a real ice cream will do!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Great job on your race @eleanorhawkins! Very happy that you were able to do it!
    Speaking of happy, happy birthday @martaindale to you and your 14 yo! Sorry it wasn't the greatest of days with the sickness, but glad you got some brownies out of it 😉

I did a 4 mile recovery run on the treadmill this afternoon.

exercise.png
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Sept total: 13.2/123 miles

9/1: 4 miles
    9/2: 5 miles
    9/4: 4.2 miles

Logging 2 runs. Somehow forgot to log my Friday one. Friday was pretty uneventful. Weather is the same, got out early. Went to get a massage afterwards then met up with some friends for a couple of drinks.
    Saturday was my kid’s birthday - 14 years old. I was awakened at 4:30am to them letting me know they had thrown up. And so it begins. They caught a stomach bug and were vomiting for the next 8 hours or so. They spent most of their birthday on the floor of the bathroom and my husband and I were just hoping we wouldn’t catch it. They feel better today and I think the rest of the family has managed to escape it.
    Today is my birthday! 42 years old! I woke up and got my run in before everyone woke up - 4.2 miles to match my age. My husband baked brownies and we are getting takeout later since the kid is still not quite up to going out to a restaurant. Thanks to those of you who have wished me HBD over on strava.

@martaindale oh dear! Hope your teenager gets better soon!
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Awesome work @eleanorhawkins!! I’m so happy you were able to do your race and you did great!!

As for the ice cream convo, I LOVE ice cream. It’s probably my favorite dessert overall. There was a time where I could eat it all the time. As I have gotten older and cleaned up my daily eating, I just can’t do a lot of sugar anymore. So, every couple of months I get an ice cream craving, buy a pint, and usually finish it over the weekend. Then I’m good for a couple more months. I do eat lots of ice cream adjacent desserts during the week. Yasso and enlightened bars, Italian ice, that sort of thing. But sometimes, only a real ice cream will do!

Same! Love ice-cream! I have a sweet tooth. Tend to keep my daily craving to half a bar of something ( <200 cals).
    Tubs of Haagen Dasz... OMG. Carnage. Zero will power.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @SummerSkier You are doing great. Sometimes a good wog is just what the legs and mind need to reset.

@eleanorhawkins You're Thursday and Friday sounds exhausting in themselves. I'm so glad you felt like running and ran such an awesome race!!!! Four minutes faster than last year on that ascent is fantastic! The end sounds like it was more pleasant last year, but you did great cutting 10 minutes off your time last year! You're training paid off!

@martaindale Happy Birthday to you and your 14 year old. I'm glad your child is feeling better and everyone else in the family seems to have avoided catching it. Great run today. Enjoy the take out and brownies!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    4 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 1.15 mile

8.75 mile/90 mile goal

Only had about 50 minutes available for exercise today. Since I just walked yesterday, I did Friday's Foundation run today - 5 min Zone 1, 15 min Zone 2, 5 min Zone 1. I used the Zone one times for the warm up and cool down walks and only ran the Zone 2 15 minutes. Not exactly what the plan called for, but close enough and all I could manage for today. My pace for running was 13:03 min/mile which is decent for an easy run on the driveway. Avg HR was 128 and Max was 144 bpm - pretty much spot on what it should have been.