October 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - I really hope if you keep doing as much as you feel you are able you will eventually get beyond this and be able run and workout at your normal level. Just listen to your body and take it day by day! Also it is great that your daughter is going to the track meetup with you. Is she running with you?
    I don't know what your watch is telling you there (8%?) but I believe most all of them use the motion sensor along with HR to determine when you are asleep. I have a problem because my HR is so low and hits the minimum from the PM when I am watching TV, working at the computer or reading then my watch decides oh, you aren't moving so you must be asleep 😂

@yirara - Oh wow - that sounds so painful! As one who has had more than my fair share of falling over my own feet, I can commiserate on the thoughts going through your mind at the time. The last time I fell it happened so fast I didn't have time to think or even react - not sure which is worse...

@martaindale - my husband and I are just opposite of you and yours. He goes to bed early and is up early and I am typically up late and sleep in later. I also get 8-9 hours of sleep but that is more recent since I have retired.

Honestly all of you who have kids, work and all that those require and still find time to run, cook, sleep, etc., amaze me. My daughter was already out of the house when I started running so I only had work to deal with.

So glad the knee is ffeeling better and you had a good run! Love the Hokas - they are very pretty but none of them work for me. They all have way too much cushioning and make feel like I am wobbling and going to fall over.

I saw this in the latest '6 Minute Mile' email and had to share in case any one will be in Paris or may want to plan trip to Paris to participate. I would certainly consider it, even just to run the 10k (no marathon for me):

'Take a look at “The Marathon Course for Paris 2024 Has Been Announced and It’s a Beauty.” For the first time ever, amateur runners will be invited to run the very same course as the Olympic competitors. There will also be a 10K race to increase accessibility for those who want to participate.'

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @yirara Dang that fall sounds horrible 🤐 Glad nothing serious!
    @polskagirl01 glad you are starting to feel a little better. Just keep at it and take it slowly.
    @martaindale nice shoes. Seems we have the same feet 😁 I'll have to try the Hoka Mach series.

I did 6 miles on the treadmill this evening.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 Miles

10/2 - 13.13 miles
    10/4 - 5.52 miles
    10/5 - 6.02 miles
    10/6 - 6.27 miles
    10/9: 14.02 miles
    10/11: 5.33 miles
    10/12: 5.36 miles

55.65/100 miles completed for October

I ran 5 miles again today. It was mostly the same run as yesterday. It was warmer today. 74° F and it was windy too. Tomorrow it should be back to around 55°F and not so windy.

I saw a house fire today. I had to detour because I would normally run right past the house. I could see flames coming out from the roof. It was a really nice house too. Luckily no one was hurt.

@yirara Glad you weren't seriously injured.

@martaindale Nice shoes!

exercise.png
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,848 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins wow. You sure timed getting sick most perfectly. not. When I had the flu in 2018 my resting HR did exactly what you describe and it took weeks after the fever was gone and I felt better before it was back to normal. That told me my body was fighting the virus. I am praying that things turn around for you in the next 24 to 48 hrs because otherwise running a race sounds impossible to me. I also have known folks who ALWAYS test negative regardless of being very symptomatic and being the same household with a positive case so who knows really. Be careful.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    @Fit2btied2016 Welcome! My mother in law is currently working towards the same goal you are, a full run through 5k. Given your history of injury, definitely don’t underestimate the importance of some strengthening/stability exercises and a good pair of shoes. I can’t wait to see your progress!!

@eleanorhawkins Good times with the taper crazies!! I hope that’s all it is. I find it so interesting how different people respond to taper weeks. I love them! I don’t get restless or anxious or feel new questionable injuries like some seem to. I relish the week of low mileage and more time on my hands. That said, I have only tapered for HM distance training before. Maybe the bigger the training load the bigger the taper crazies.

Re: Garmin body battery. I feel like it did a better job when I wore my watch 24/7. Now, I don’t sleep in it and the numbers seem wonky so I don’t pay much attention. Like, right now it is at 77 after a full night of what felt like restful sleep and yesterday I did my run in the morning with a pretty low stress work day. It certainly seems to undersell my recovery without the sleep info. It’s not like it ever made me do anything different, I just thought it was an interesting anecdotal piece of info. But now it’s pointless.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,848 Member
    Options
    That is correct. We only harass the special people. o:)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 thank you, I was really hoping someone would say that! Week and a half out and getting fatter by the minute lol. I saw about your swim, I don't know how you can do that!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 @SummerSkier hahahaha love it!! 😊
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    That is correct. We only harass the special people. o:)

☝️☝️☝️

This 😁😁😁
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,009 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA Glad I'm not the only one who loves afternoon naps. I don't get it when the daycare kids think they are too old for a nap. :lol: I have only been getting around 5 hours sleep the last week or so. I'm trying to do better, but am not having much success. At least when I get up to pee, I can usually go back to sleep. It's not good when you can't.

@Scott6255 You are a beast to run 7 miles when you aren't feeling well.

@martaindale I'm glad you were able to work out your knee pain and it is doing better.

@shanaber Love the picture of Hobbes. Yeah for the great bloodwork. Yeah for a little rain too. I, too, am amazed at how everyone with a job and kids, etc have time to get their running in. I could never be one of those "super mom's" they used to talk about. Heck, I'm not even a "super single" person. :lol:

@polskagirl01 It is great that your tests all came back normal, but know what you mean about it not being helpful. You don't want things to be wrong, but you do want something minor to show up that will explain your symptoms. Glad your daughter is running with you and you are not pushing yourself too hard. Hope you start feeling a lot better soon! My Garmin is usually really good at telling when I sleep and when I'm awake, but it lost it's mind last night. It said I didn't get up until 10:37 this morning, when in reality I was up at 5:50, had gotten ready and driven into town, and had been sitting waiting for my car to be serviced for 2 hours by then. :lol:

@yirara So glad you weren't hurt any worse and hope you aren't more sore today. Sorry to read about the sore ribs. I know that has to hurt when you cough.

@martaindale I want to be you when I grow up (in regards to sleeping). Yeah for the new shoes and congrats on such an increase in your pace.

@ContraryMaryMary Happy Birthday to your SIL. I hope you all have a good time celebrating her.

@kgirlhart Glad no one was injured in the fire.

Welcome @Fit2btied2016 . Sounds like you have had your share of injuries! You also sound like you have a great plan and great goal. Take it slow and easy and there is no shame in the run/walk running. Have you read any of Jeff Galloway's books or heard about his method of training?

@polskagirl01 Burr to the Polar Bear club. Glad you enjoy it though.

@eleanorhawkins So sorry you are having all of those issues. It sounds like it could be a combination of all of those things. Just listen to your body and do what you can. Remind me again. When is your race?

That is a lovely place for a dip @polskagirl01 ! IF it were warm. :smile: