Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Im back from Trudys and in bed,we had a lovely time.. and always great food.i didn't go overboard..
    We always have a few laughs .g8lbhbc3kwgn.jpg
    Miles watching meerkats on t.v.with mom and dad.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Regarding expectations ... Christmas (meaning about 2-3 weeks surrounding Christmas) is the time of my year with the fewest expectations.

The rest of my year is packed solid with expectations. There is always work with heaps of expectations, of course. On and off there has been university and other educational pursuits with their expectations. More recently, there have been all sorts of expectations surrounding my husband's situation.

But when Christmas comes, everyone leaves me alone. The expectations and deadlines and things vanish. I think it's the time of year when I come closest to relaxing.

If an expectation should try to pop up during the Christmas season, I can squelch it with, "It's Christmas. Nothing gets done during Christmas. We'll deal with that in the new year."

I go through a bit of a slump in January when it all starts up again.

aw2t5ta5h8py.png

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Gratitude:

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

[/spoiler]

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color: Coke Bottle Sea Glass
    22 A song that makes you happy: Scott Joplin - Maple Leaf Rag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc

23 Type of weather you love:

24 Professional who helps you:

25 Something you take for granted:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching:

27 A movie you watch over and over:

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had:

29 A place you love to visit:

30 A tool you find incredibly useful:

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated:
  • Machka9
    Options
    mlprr4ices3m.png

• Machka9
    Options
    wpvzfvwulctf.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    I was planning to do some HIIT after work, but Hamrick's has the shoes I like on sale. I need a new pair for work. Now I hope they have the style I like. Vince is someone who waits until the last minute to do anything. Now he wants to start packing the car, we have to prebowl because he didn't want to do it Tuesday, now he wants to stop at the bank, I need more Sudafed so it looks like we'll be stopping at WalMart. I guess I'll make the mac &: cheese in the evening. So maybe Fri morning before he gets up I can get to the gym. It's so cold that I doubt I'll be going for a walk at Jess'

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've been participating in a well-being thing. The sudden recent surge is all because of Christmas. :):) The cloud lifts for a little while.

r0h2g97dzaq1.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Gardeners ... what is this?

pwfuoh31cccr.png
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Machka, It might be the self-heal herb Prunella vulgaris.
  • KetoneKaren
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color: Coke Bottle Sea Glass

22 A song that makes you happy: Scott Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag
    23 Type of weather you love: Summer Lightning Storms

24 Professional who helps you: Recently the wait staff at our retirement community have been very helpful, going above and beyond expectations.

25 Something you take for granted:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching:

27 A movie you watch over and over:

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had:

29 A place you love to visit:

30 A tool you find incredibly useful:

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Max and Bea are coming over in a minute so my son can get on with his paid work. Giving them lunch and entertaining them until 4pm. We want to have our usual painting session, so Max will have to accommodate himself to that. He likes drawing funny things and cartoons.

I had a panicky moment this morning. Got up to a cold house! :o Oh no! Please, not a boiler breakdown! On investigation I found the thermostat in the living room was not working. Changed the batteries and pressed all the buttons! It started working! Phew! :D All is fine.

Yes Terri, What if you are the gift? <3 I also liked what they said about , the more secure and sturdy you are in yourself, the more you can allow other people to be themselves. So true. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Machka, It might be the self-heal herb Prunella vulgaris.

We wondered about that, and it's plausible. But where on earth did it come from. We haven't had it before and now we've got a whole lot of it!

I do have to say, it looks a lot like Prunella vulgaris.

1iw1jj3m2aps.png

We also wondered about Salvia Officinalis. That would make more sense, and in some pictures it looks similar. But it doesn't smell at all like sage.

This, for example, is Garden Sage (Salvia Officinalis)
    8owq2diamwt4.png
    https://www.kew.org/plants/garden-sage

M in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

It's going to be a lazy day today. Rain all day today and tomorrow. I have books to read. And my friend Craig sent me a small bookcase for Christmas! So I need to make room for it. Time to purge.

Have a great day ladies! Make good choices, and try to stay home if the storm comes your way!

Annie in Delaware