WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Karen - I've had shingles and, later, the shingles jab. :D

Didn't get around to my hair. If I don't do these things in the morning, they don't get done. But the morning is reserved for my exercise and writing. Maybe I will have a short writing session tomorrow and get it done before lunch.

We are having squid tonight. It's a recipe I got from Elizabeth David, with a little adjustment to replicate a dish I had in the South West of France in the 80s. We revisited the town where we stayed for two weeks and I had that dish, in a restaurant near the church, on our cruise this November. :)
    v3hrfousfb8d.jpg
    At the moment, the whole house smells of cooking squid! !
    When I went to get the package out of the freezer, the whole block of baby squid had frozen solid into a chunk of ice, so I had to thaw the whole lot and cook it. I will freeze half the stew I have created and use half for the dish with tomatoes and rouille. With it we have rice and peas and asparagus.

Feeling lighter.

Glad your visit made some happy memories, Lisa :love:

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Better you than me!

I'd be out on a very long walk if my place smelled of squid! :lol:

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Machka - ha ha you and me both my friend.. bless you Heather you have a sparkling appetite..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Worked, took Jerry home and then had to stop at WalMartsince Vince needed milk. I’ll probably have to stop there tomorrow since he needs bananas. I was a nice guy and asked if they wanted me to come in Thurs and, as expected, they said yes. Molly (store manager) asked me also to come in tomorrow. That’s something I don’t understand. I can understand Thurs to give them prep for the weekend, but tomorrow? The only thing I can think of is that they’re expecting to be busy. Anyway, the plan is to do a body pump DVD, then probably stop in at the Salvation Army then go to WalMart. We’re planning to prebowl since we won’t be at bowling Monday.

Rebecca – thanks for telling me

Evelyn – that fishing line is so cool

M – what wonderful news! All the cancer is gone! Doing a happy dance for you

You know, this is the first Christmas where I don’t feel rushed. It must be because we couldn’t decorate for Halloween or Christmas so all the trees got put up early. Plus...I don’t have to host christmas, Jess is. I just have to take the mac & Cheese (which I’ll make Thurs), the pierogi (which are already made and in the freezer) and the desserts (which are made and in the freezer)

Anne DE – I have two bags of bananas in the freezer. These are bananas that were too ripe. When I need them, I have them for banana bread

Invited Lynette to dinner on New Years Eve. That’s our tradition. Still haven’t heard back from her. I’m sure what it is is that she has to ask Ken. They have such a weird relationship, but it works for them. She texts him all the time, even in the backseat of the car she texts him in the front seat! But this works for them.

Allie – I’m on Medicare and sometimes get bills from doctor’s offices. Most of the time it’s the their billing cycle just overlapped and Medicare didn’t get to it yet. Check this out. Call the doctor’s office, they will usually tell you that it just got crossed in the mail. Good luck at the doctor’s office. Also, remember your deductible.

Off to take a shower, then get to bed.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Chicken Pox, Mumps, Measles (twice!) I’ve had it all. Now I get every vaccination available! (Still need my TDAP though). All 3 of my kids got the chicken pox at the same time, I was nursing the smallest but he still got the pox only a mild case. The two older girls were covered! At least I got it done all at once! Lol. My son got the vaccination once it was available as he only had a mild case. I had sinus infections, ear infections, and bronchitis a lot as a child. Had my tonsils and adenoids out in second grade. I had allergies but that wasn’t acknowledge back then as a real thing. Much better now that the allergies have been identified. Not sick as often now. I make DH get the vaccinations as well. No need to tempt fate. I believe in prevention rather that reaction.

RVRita

Prior to the measles vaccinations, when a child got the measles, the child became hugely popular. All the friends came over so they would get measles too.

I had a mild case of measles when I was 8-ish, and had all the friends round to visit so I could pass it on. :)

Then measles vaccinations came in but I am in the age group where they just had one vaccination for measles, mumps, rubella. My mother made sure I got that vaccination.

However, measles requires 2 vaccinations spaced a couple weeks apart and I didn't get the second vaccination because they didn't realise it then. A few years later they added the second one, but people in my age group mostly only got the one vaccination.

In 2016, we travelled to the mainland, and followed a woman with measles from the airport out to the area we were visiting. We didn't know it at the time. But 2 weeks later, I had a full blown case of measles. It was awful.

So, in January 2020, I got my double dose of MMR and a Shingles vax. And then, of course, later that year I got a flu shot and 2 COVID vaxes. So I had 6 vaxes in 2020!

2016 Measles
    a87r24cbzej2.jpg
    svk73989tfyg.jpg

I used to get very sick at least once a year with flus and colds, but then ...

In 2018, my husband had the accident and I spent a lot of time in the hospital and rarely went to the university. I didn't get sick that year. Even in 2019, I spent as little time as possible at the university.
    In 2020, the COVID shutdowns happened and I didn't go to the university, I took courses from home.

At the university, 500+ students were crammed into rooms that should ideally hold less than that. In fact, students often sat on the stairs in the aisleways which, I'm sure, is against fire regulations. The 500+ students came from all over Asia (and a couple of us were local). While it was a great opportunity to meet people from all over Asia, and we'd do well for the first half of the semester, they'd all go home at semester break, and when they returned they would bring all sorts of viruses and things with them and I would be so sick in the second half of the semester. No 24-hour flus ... these things would last for months!

I was so incredibly relieved when everything shut down in 2020!!

I also had my deviated septum straightened in 2020 which might make my colds less severe but I haven't had a chance to test that yet. I'm OK with that. I'd happily go the rest of my life without a cold. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My margins are clear!

I went in for a dressing change and my doctor heard I was there and dropped in to have a look and tell me that my results are good. Margins are clear. She got all the cancer!

Then I came home for a nap.

This is 5 days post surgery ...
    05bharoasm7w.png

Machka in Oz

Machka,
    Yay! Yay! Yay! for clear margins!
    Wow! That is an amazing cosmetic outcome. You had a very gifted surgeon. Congratulations, Machka. I know you are relieved.

Karen in Virginia

Thanks!

Lots of different people told me she (my surgeon) was really good and I am pleased with the results thus far. :)

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    My margins are clear!

I went in for a dressing change and my doctor heard I was there and dropped in to have a look and tell me that my results are good. Margins are clear. She got all the cancer!

05bharoasm7w.png

Machka in Oz

So glad you got those four amazing words too!!

Looking forward to getting the dressings changed on Friday. Hoping they will let me grab a shower- Not supposed to have one yet. Did take a quick one the other morning when the cat threw up down my back when I was here alone.

Heading back to my recliner

Will check in tomorrow

Debbie

:)

I haven't had a shower yet either. It was strongly suggested I wait a week for both my nose and hip.

Tomorrow I will get all or most of the stitches out of my nose (but not my hip yet), and then I think I can shower.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    My margins are clear!

05bharoasm7w.png

Machka in Oz

So glad you got those four amazing words too!!

Looking forward to getting the dressings changed on Friday. Hoping they will let me grab a shower- Not supposed to have one yet. Did take a quick one the other morning when the cat threw up down my back when I was here alone.

Heading back to my recliner

Will check in tomorrow

Debbie

Congrats on the clear margins!

Condolences for the cat upchuck down your back. :D:D:D

Karen in Virginia

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Heather with no chicken pox vaccinations, are shingles rife in the UK’s senior population? The Shingrix adds here are scary and make you think if you don’t get the vaccine you’ll really suffer.

Barbara

Regarding shingles ...

On a Google search, I see it says that ...

1 in 3 people in the US will get Shingles
    1 in 4 people in the UK will get Shingles
    1 in 3 people in Australia ...
    1 in 3 people in Canada ...

In the US, you have a million and one medical ads on TV. Other countries don't have anywhere near that quantity of medical ads. So it doesn't surprise me you see a lot of Shingrix ads.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/medications/do-not-get-sold-on-drug-advertising
    "The United States and New Zealand are the only countries where drug makers are allowed to market prescription drugs directly to consumers. The U.S. consumer drug advertising boom on television began in 1997, when the FDA relaxed its guidelines relating to broadcast media."

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Terri, So glad you are on the other side of Covid. My son and his family have it now, finally feeling a little better the last day or two. It's miserable.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    We do get shingles vac adverts on TV, as a government health programme. Of course, we don't pay anything for our vaccinations. You get them at over 70 here.
    I was very lucky in that my case of shingles, before the vac, was a very mild one. I was staying with three doctors in Scotland, who diagnosed it quickly, and went out at 10pm on a Saturday night to get anti virals from the late night pharmacy in Glasgow. That was a long drive! :o<3 It was on my waist.
    My first husband, then my fiancé, had it in his first year of work, during my last year at uni. He came down to stay with me in my room. It was really awful. He had it in his head, and over his eye, and the pain was severe. He had eye drops and pain killers, but could hardly move. His eye took a while to recover and he occasionally felt the pain in his head for years.

Now to get on with my book.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx