WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    ❤️ 🎄 ❤️ 🎄 ❤️
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Michele, it’s fishing line! It started with a round base with a dowel in time middle, nails were hammered in both the dowel and the base, then the lights get attached, then the whole thing gets strung with fishing line. I was told the nails were the worst part!
    Ginny, thanks, I like them too!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,792 Member
    Chickenpox ... had them twice. Once very lightly as a baby and again really, really badly at 12. I was so sick and covered from head to toe.

M in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Machka, wow! She really took a chunk out! happy for you that margins are clear and you can just get on with the healing!
    Debbie, was also happy to hear that your margins were clear and you can get on with healing also.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    Allie: 🥰 The houses. Looks like you had lots of fun.

Machka: That’s good news. Just rest up and heal dear girl.

Not sure if I ever had chickenpox. My girls had it though. And I had shingles in 2001. Horrible!

Feeling much better this morning. I was dog tired yesterday, but slept well last night, and head is beginning to clear. That brain fog is a real doozy.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,020 Member
    Hooray for clear margins!

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    edited December 2022
    The development of vaccines have been amazing and valuable over the years. I have taken them whenever they have ben available. Polio vaccine was the first time I remember lining up at school for a vaccination. DH & I took Covid Vaccinations as soon as they were available, and we are safer because of them. ⭐️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,792 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

December 12 - Christmas Stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Jesus Birth.

December 13 - Wrapping things up, and I don't just mean presents.

December 14 - The Christmas songs i know by heart. I sang them to myself during my surgery to help keep me calm and focusing on something else.

December 15 - Rest. Except for one Christmas, I think I have had a holiday time over every other Christmas. Today I'm on enforced rest.

December 16 - Comfort. Christmas is usually a comfortable time of year for me. In Canada it was about going out in the cold to shop or ski and then coming home and curling up in warm, cozy clothes. Here it's about spending time in the warm sunshine, at the beach, in the garden or right now, looking at the lovely outside from inside.

December 17 - Joy. Christmas has usually been a joyful time for me ... probably mainly to do with being able to take a break.

December 18 - Pretty. It's such a pretty time of year and people seem to go to lengths to make everything pretty.

December 19 - Movies. Last night we watched 2 Christmas movies. I get a kick out of them and can just relax and enjoy them. I've got 3 of the ones on the Bingo card below. :)

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)

12 Something you don’t need anymore. What don't I need anymore? Perhaps some of the time consuming traditions like writing the Christmas letter, doing Christmas cards, heaps of baking ...

And outside of Christmas, I'm making choices that work for me. Picking and choosing what I want to do ... and don't want to do. I'm grateful I can make a few more of those choices.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home - my chair. I bought a wing chair about a year or so ago and it's my spot.

14 Item of clothing - rain jacket. Because it appears that it isn't going to stop raining! Also comfy pjs. :)

15 Taste - I am grateful that I still have a sense of taste. That was one thing my husband lost with his brain injury.

16 Touch - I'm glad for my smooth, comfortable bed where I've been spending a lot of time.

17 Smell - Love the smell of our roses.

18 Sound - Thoroughly enjoying the sound of the Christmas music I play all day long. :)

19 Sight - I'm appreciating sight after spending the last 5 days without glasses!! I can wear my glasses for a little while now but have to take a break after even just a minute or so.
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz

24tdrb1i192t.png

• Katla49
    🌸🌺🌸
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Kelly- bless you ,you definitely deserve a break..
    Im over with the little guy and he is on his first nap..
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,020 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Well once again I think I am done with my shopping. I ordered some fancy chocolate coffee for my cousins and my aunt. Through the miracle of Amazon, it will be here later today, in plenty of time.

My aunt is having us come over after church, but it is not a dinner. Those are my instructions so I am assuming brunch, and planning on baking banana bread. Although maybe it's just tea. But she always has cookies even if it's just tea. If I buy bananas today they should be quite ripe in a week. I think that's the only trick to banana bread.

I was up way early this morning. But one day with less sleep shouldn't hurt me.

Have a great day, my friends! Make good choices!

Annie in Delaware
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Evelyn, those are SO COOL! Sorta like the old string art, but better... with lights!

IDK about all of those movies Machka. I have a couple BINGOs already. I don't watch Arthur or Gremlins. Never cared for Gremlins, but I LOVE Nightmare. We've already seen all the rest, EXCEPT Wonderful Life and Charlie Brown which are always saved for Christmas Eve.

19 Sight: this time of year, the snow covered trees in my backyard on a bright, sunny day.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,342 Member
    So pleased for you, Machka, and Debbie too!

My littles and their parents leave today--but for a change, they'll take their time this morning. Different husband, different driving styles... the previous one always wanted to leave at 4 a.m. The two older ones have calmed down considerably, much less squabbling, much less upset all the way around. Levi is still at the stage where everything he picks up is a gun (pew, pew, pew!) and every sentence is a question, with your answer followed by why. Lots of fun...

They seemed to enjoy their hike yesterday, and my son-in-law told me after they got back that they "accidentally" chose one of the harder hikes at the park. I've only met him twice now, but I can promise you that man does nothing by accident, so I just smiled at him. B) He studied those trails online for an hour before they left for the park. As long as he's not using his powers for evil, I'm OK with it. The littles were all nicely worn out when they got in the truck to come back, and are still sleeping in this morning, too... :smiley:
    1olt4xal1rez.png
    jeeuj0tpj41w.png

Did "talk" to our son Johnny during the week (texted) he's doing well, and seems to be fine. It's only when I hear from him a lot that he's stressed or unhappy; when he's busy and happy, we don't hear much one way or the other! :wink: So that's the whole fam-damily sorted for the holidays, although they might call Christmas Day.

Now comes the tough bit. It will be harder to see them go this time because there's such uncertainty about when we'll see them again. Can't change it, can't fix it, so all we can do is hug them now. So much retroactive sympathy for my mother while I was in the Air Force and then married to an airman. She waved me goodbye to different countries, to thousands of miles in between us, dozens of times. I was so wrapped up in my own feelings about goodbyes that I didn't give much thought to how hard that was for her.

Ah... the little man is up and his mama is getting his cereal ready. Let the day begin!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited December 2022
    I think I have been channelling my friend L, because I have been pretty blah for a couple of days. Today is a year since her partner collapsed and died of an aneurysm right in front of her. I could feel my mood lifting this morning after the time he died. This weekend she took his ashes to his favourite place to sprinkle them. I haven't been pestering her, but have just sent the occasional emoji to show I'm thinking of her. I think her grief is her own and I don't want to intrude.
    I also always feel this way before Christmas. I once rang the Samaritans when I lived alone. Not nearly that bad these days, more an unexplained low mood. I did some book this morning, so I am feeling quite a bit better, even though it was a struggle.
    (It's not really inexplicable, as I can guess what is going on with me, given my history. Plus,I often feel like this for any bank holiday )
    I may get round to doing my roots today. I had a trim last week.
    It's suddenly turned warm! Had a lot of rain, but the sun has come out.

Hoping for a lighter mood soon.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    <3