WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Ladies ~ Thank you all for sharing your Christmas memories and photos with us!

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    A good site to help with setting goals for 2023:
    Working on mine and will share when I’m done!

RvRita
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Fri. morning did some HIIT and then drove to Jess’. Couldn’t do any formal exercise, but I did go for a walk in her block for at least an hour each day. It was COLD (at least for NC) so I only walked for an hour. Had it been nicer weather, I probably would have walked for longer, but it wasn’t. I’m constantly amazed that this coat that I got when she was in Iowa is so very light but how very warm it is. The only thing is that I wish it had snaps in addition to the zipper. Most mornings I have a banana (or two like today) before I go out for my walk.

She is one of those people who waits until the last minute. So Fri we were shopping. At that point they only had 2 containers of the lobster bisque (the only soup that Vince will eat) so we got those and three crab corn. Not bad, I had one.

Christmas was nice. I honestly don’t think Jess would have been ready on time had I not helped her. She’s always saying about how she can do the time so well. Well, she’s learning. I did find out some things that she doesn’t have (like a toaster or ice cream scoop or serving utensils). Got some nice appliances. Now to try them out and as long as they work, the old ones go to the Salvation Army.

Denise called on Christmas day. Unfortunately, we didn’t talk to her much, she had to go.

When I got back from my walk on Sat. I went to turn on the kitchen light. Then Colby told me that they didn’t have power. It did get cold in the house pretty fast.

Karen – I’m sorry for your son’s family.

Jess got Vince the same book that I got him so I’ll return my copy. Gotta take it to Kohl’s hopefully, tomorrow

Debbie – use any excuse you need to not to go to dh’s mom’s house. You deserve it.

Rori – so glad you’re safe from that harrowing trip to the airport! What a wonderful friend you are!

Here’s hoping everyone had a great christmas Eve and christmas Day

Kylia – great to see you. Isn’t it great when a pharmacy is in different areas of the country? We get some of our prescriptions from WalMart and others from CVS and both places are in FL when we’re down there.

Allie – what a thoughtful gift from Tracy and Kyle. Love seeing Myles

Apologies to anyone that I might have missed saying something to. Know that I was reading. I’m tired from the weekend and so am skimming to a certain extent. I usually don’t stay up as long as I did there.

Carol – so sorry about SIL’s mom passing

About the only thing I use checks for are my donation to the church.

Jess told us that she is on call this year, not next year, but she will be oncall again the following year. Guess we’ll do the same thing – she’ll host Christmas Eve

Debbie – I agree with everything Beth said

Annie – I do the same thing. If something says “dry clean only” so many times I put it in the wash. If it shrinks, then I figure I wasn’t meant to have it

KJ – have a great trip.

Love all the pictures

Rosemarie – we got electric drums for PJ. From what we understand, he’s already banged on them. I did think they came with headphones, but I was wrong. We should probably get some for him when we go up there in June. I have a suspicion that Denise doesn’t hold onto our gifts for PJ until Christmas but gives them to him when she gets them. That’s OK, because it makes the gift more special rather than getting them with everything else. What a wonderful thing those caregivers did!

I am really bushed. Going to get to bed early.

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Well my dad bought himself a fitness watch that needs an Android smartphone. His cell phone is only a simple cell phone. So he wants me to make it work with his Fire tablet, or Windows computer. Not gonna happen. I've tried four times to tell him so, but he only listens to me when it's good news. This is not my favorite part of Christmas.
    What kind of watch? I bought my husband a fitbit and he has a flip phone. I have it linked to his computer via the website. It does require a dongle to make it work, but they are cheap to buy. Just an idea...

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Well I just watched the holiday... that was a cute movie..
    And I started watching the Wizard of Oz but that was a no go because of Toto ...at least I know how it turns out ..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    k55m5tnhw7pz.png
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Machka Thank you for the mental health poster. I have implemented a few of those already and am working on a couple of more. Thank you! Your cartoon was me today!

Checkbooks.....I am not as anal as I once was with them. My life situation and spending styles are so different than they use to be. Once a month or so I fill in my husband's registry but I don't even keep a registry for mine. I do check all accounts daily for activities and am alerted on my phone for all transactions on bank or credit cards.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I’ve been listening to a new author I enjoy. It’s Alan Bradley. The character is an 11 year old girl named Flavia De Luce, who is obsessed with chemistry and solving crimes. Barbie, I think you would enjoy these books. I like them ok in print, but they are delightful in audio.

:) I put the first one on my e book wish list so I can try it out when I finish what I'm reading now. Thanks for the suggestion. It is also available from my library so I can try that, too.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Checkbooks… call me anal, old-fashioned, whatever you like. I don’t care. It is what it is and I am what I am. I only write checks to the church, a few charities, and a couple of service providers, i write them down in the actual checkbook register the bank gives you, but do not keep a running balance there. I have a bigger checkbook register that I get from Amazon where I write down every single transaction with the checking account - ATM, debit card, check, deposit, whatever. I balance it with a calculator and it has to match to the penny with the bank. In addition I have YNAB, which is tied to my regular checking, our regular interest bearing checking, which we use like savings and two credit cards in the “available for budgeting” section and the rest of our savings/investment accounts for tracking only. I have the program set up to pull the budget accounts directly into it, but I enter the tracking only accounts manually. This also has to balance to the penny with my checkbook register and/or the online statements. Every dollar is assigned a category in the budget, either for spending or sinking fund for emergencies. I love the way I have this set up. When I use a credit card, the money is immediately deducted from the budget category. Then when I pay them off every week or two, it’s just a transfer from one account to the other and does not affect the budget at all. I wish with all my heart that I could be as anal about tracking my food as I am in tracking my spending and savings.

Impressive! In the 1990s, when I was with my first husband, I had something like that set up. I kept track of everything!!

Now we've got "super" savings accounts which provide a reasonable (I suppose) amount of interest. We can deposit into those and can transfer between accounts but our card doesn't access those. So any withdrawals are a 2-step process. And we've got regular accounts. Bills are paid out of one, everyday expenses out of another.

One 2023 goal is to close one or two accounts and to decide what to do with a third. Reduce fees, increase interest!

I don't think banks here offer cheques or chequing accounts anymore, although a person might be able to get a special one at the bank if it were really necessary.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color: Coke Bottle Green Sea Glass
    22 A song that makes you happy: Scott Joplin Maple Leaf Rag

23 Type of weather you love: Summer lighting storms

24 Professional who helps you: Waiters, especially lately as we transition into our new community.

25 Something you take for granted: potable water

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching: CBS Sunday Morning
    27 A movie you watch over and over: The Holiday

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had: July 20, 1977 - Harry Chapin at Merriweather Post Pavilion

29 A place you love to visit: Sanibel

30 A tool you find incredibly useful:

31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated: