WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Kim – I understand how you feel about Levi. Jess used to do pet sitting, sometimes spending the night at a person’s house. Totally normal. How great that things worked out and you were invited by your neighbor. Bet you had a better time, anyway.

Invited Ken & Lynette here New Year’s Eve. They usually come over. So far (surprise, surprise) I haven’t heard from Lynette, but I’m going to plan on them coming. Anyway, I’m making some more of the M&M cookies mainly because I have M&M’s that I want to get out of my pantry. I also think I’ll try my hand at a banana cream pie. Never made one before

Barbara – how wonderful that you got the road cleared and especially that you’ll be getting rid of some food stuff. I have to exercise first thing in the a.m. or that doesn’t happen for me (like your PT). The pic showed headphones with the drum set, but Vince said they didn’t come with it. I would like to get him a decent pair and take them to him if we can see him in June while we’re in PA. I was having problems with MFP earlier today when I went to my food log. I could get to the community area but not the food. Then suddenly I was able to. Go figure! I’m always impressed how you respond to so many

Got a walk in earlier then made the cookies

Ginny – so glad you made it back here safe and sound

kylia – oh no, Ace Hardware is moving!

Anne – so glad to see you’re back to your weights!

Off to bed. Work tomorrow

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Could he be resentful/jealous of your friendship with your ex-husband? I have been wondering if that could be a contributing factor, especially since his mother is unreasonably demanding. What you have been describing sounds as if your husband feels angry at & resentful of the two most important people/women in his life - his mother & his wife.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this; it is hard not to be adversely affected by a spouse who seems to be seething with resentment, but unable or unwilling to articulate it. It's uncomfortable to read about it; I can only imagine what it must be like to be living it.

My first husband, the father of my son, was difficult to live with - he expected me to make his world right, interpreted simple questions as criticism, and sabotaged me with passive aggressiveness time and time again. I was unhappy but not good at communicating with him; I was afraid of pissing him off and I got secondary gain by being the martyr. My neuroses contributed to the toxicity.

Eventually he had an affair, and I was unable to forgive him.

We had a lot of therapy, couples and individual, and many conversations over the years; we have both grown up considerably and now treasure each other as co-grandparents and friends. He is still intolerant and impatient, but it doesn't affect me at all anymore because I have time and distance on my side, and I don't have to go home with him, or be a captive audience in the car with him.

(((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia

He really is too self centered to even seem to notice I am texting with my ex.
    If it doesn't revolve around him, he doesn't acknowledge it is how it feels to me.

He is very resentful for the amount of time he feels he has to be taking care of his mom. She really hates her and she hates him(and me)- There is no one else. I told him again that he needs to find someone to step in and help, even if it is just to do her breakfast/pills/feed the dog a few mornings a week. We tried one lady but that went really badly. He agreed but said he doesn't think we can find someone she will like- Oh well, she doesn't have to like the person. He needs a break. Then he mentioned walking the dog, said he guessed he would have to start walking him(because I haven't done it since my fall)- seven months and he has yet to walk the dog once. I try to make suggestions but he always finds reason it won't work.
    We have had issues a long time but adding all this time with his mom has pushed him over his limit so many times.
    I totally understand- keeping quiet to not piss him off- have done it for years.

He needs to go to counciling and knows it- has went once- Wish they would put him on meds(they prescribed them but he didn't get it filled)-He over reacts way too much on everything.

Time to warm up my tea- daycare girl is running late again.

Debbie

Please don't feel you have to answer this, but does he still want you around?

One way to get rid of a person and come off looking like the good guy is to make life difficult and unpleasant for the other person.

Businesses do it when they've got an employee they want to get rid of but can't fire. They might demote the employee or give the employee the crap jobs or constantly overlook the employee when promotions are being handed out.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    Had a nice rain storm last night and part of today- Really enjoyed listening to it during the night while cuddled up with the cats on the couch. No rain tomorrow but more coming back Thursday thru Sat. I am fine with it- hope it isn't too bad when I have my second post-op on Friday morning. Have to be there at 8:30 so leaving here at 7:45, just to make sure we are there early.
  • Machka9
    edited December 2022
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka “…SQL clause is coming to town” made me snort my tea. “A figure of speech”? about balancing the checking account to the penny? Yah no, just looking it over for unexpected withdrawals wouldn’t work for me. Something about obsessive compulsive behavior??? And yes I still write checks, for donations and minor bills. While I do use bank’s electronic paying for some things, and even switched mobile and internet bills to autopay from credit cards, I resent the deductions the middle man takes from the donations. Hence the checks. Astounded that checks are not accepted where you are. Love, love LOVE the boxing day meme.

Machka, Kay, Karen and all who track expenditures by budget categories, you scare and inspire me. Think I’m afraid to see where the $$ goes. Any hits for broad categories/percentages to incorporate into my “actual” spreadsheet? I tend to be over-detailed then overwhelmed.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

I looked it up and evidently cheques are still occasionally used, but not frequently. They're the smallest payment choice by far and declining rapidly.
    https://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/frequency/retail-payments/2022/retail-payments-0622.html

This site: https://www.commbank.com.au/articles/banking/are-australians-using-cheques.html says,
    "In 1980, cheques accounted for 85% of the number of non-cash payments and almost all their value. Now, they account for just 0.2% of transactions– a number that continues to decline year on year."

And also ...

"While cheques are still in use in Australia, usage has been declining at ~20-25% yearly since 2016, while digital transactions increase. Looking to other nations around the world, including neighbouring New Zealand, who became cheque-free in 2021, we can expect to see the trend of embracing a cheque-free economy to continue."

The last cheque I used would have likely been in early 2009 for the rent I paid for a place I lived in for a month while I finished my Bachelor of Education. I think I had to go to the bank and ask for one to use because I didn't have any. I would have used 4 the previous year for rent as well.

Everything can be done by direct transfer now and I can label the transfers. So I'll label all my donations as such, and when I want to go back through and find donations, I can do that on the site. Search and download into Excel.

We get groceries from 3 places - one main place, and occasionally a couple others. So they're easy to search for.

We frequent a hardware place for garden and other projects. Again, easy to search for and download.

Personal type items come from one main place but occasionally a handful of others. I could divide this into "meds & toiletries" and "clothing etc." if I wanted.

There's fuel ... and car/transport stuff like insurance and my bus pass. Just checked and I have each of these individually itemised into Fuel, Insurance, Bus, etc.

Larger medical things like ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc.

And of course bills. Those are itemised.

Oh, don't forget bank fees!

I have everything listed in column B and given a number in column A. Then I fill the amount into the appropriate columns C to H and let Excel do the rest of the work, with my formulas of course. And a comment if necessary.

hqwt6z9k9b4p.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited December 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

I just need to vent…
    I am sitting here crying because I hate the situation I am in…. My mom only wants to buy me personal things as gifts… that is clothes. Really there is nothing else she considers personal.

I have very simple tastes in clothes and prefer to have a few items that fit well and that I like than cupboards of clothes to wear occasionally. Right now I could use a pair of jeans but I have never worn (no matter what weight) standard sizing. I am 5 feet, so you would think petite but a few too many pounds for most petite cuts (at least in the US) so if they fit around the waist they don’t fit in the hip and the opposite is also true, and either way the length from crotch to waist is too long. I can not put jeans on a gift list.

I told my mom that the list was not going to make her happy I need no clothes. I need home things, I came up with 10 options. All things to buy at a hardware store. Also a few possible gift card options.

So my mom calls tonight to tell me she is exhausted, she is in tears because she can’t find any thing she thinks I would like at any of the malls near her. She’s (93 years old) and has been driving in the rain all over to get me something I don’t want and she is hurt that I can’t give her a better list.

I am tired of not being the daughter she wants…. Last year I put on the list some nice soap and bubble bath maybe in lavender scent (I hoped that would be personal) I got a case (36 bars) of ivory bar soap and a container of lavender dish soap that she was sure would work as bubble bath.

I don’t have much for her either as she would not give me a list. I have a couple of ideas I will do tomorrow.

Christmas was ok, but I was hoping for a fun New Years and she has already started to make it difficult. She also told me what she was bringing for me to cook… The menu is planned and we had discussed it – I reminded her and she is mad about that as she had “planned” on me and the god kids eating her left overs….

I’ll be making fondue! But really what I want is a gift card or cash…. She would go shopping with me, but then she makes fun of my taste and ridicule my shape that doesn’t fit well in clothes….. What puts this in perspective is she was a model when she was young. And has never been above a size 6 (that was while she was pregnant) She is a perfect petite size 2 right now.

PS I had considered asking for a pair of boots and had found a pair on line, so I told her a couple of weeks ago I was looking at boots, and she told me she never wanted to see me in boots she thought she had raised me better only prostitutes wear boots. I was looking at flat short fur lined boots to help me stay warm and still be a bit stylish. I ordered them myself. But just a warning all of you in the snow staying warm when your out walking my mom thinks you are a prostitute LOL that is probably most of us! Maybe that word needs a new meaning - practical warm adult woman.....

Smiles Kim in N. California

:lol: Uh-oh! I spend roughly 6 months of the year in relatively flat but knee high boots. :smiley:

Can you talk your mom into not exchanging gifts? We've stopped exchanging with my parents.

One of my favourite pair ...
    t9rt9f7r8d1a.png

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Kim)))— You are hard working, and creative, lovable and kind. You are a good friend to others. I don’t think your mother knows you very well at all. I am sorry she is difficult.

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Up early for our usual weekly shopping trip. We need mostly fresh goods this week.

Thinking about what I want to achieve in 2023.

More later.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    I logged. Yay! Was only 200 calories over today, but was 300 under yesterday. I think I am going to have to think of calories like I do purchases. How much more do i have to move to burn the calories i choose to eat. With purchases it is how many hours do i need to work to pay for it vs want/need.
    My husband, bless his heart, turns down the bed each night and leaves me a piece of candy on my pillow. I don't want to hurt his feelings by not eating the candy, so most mornings I just slip it back into the candy dish. I wonder how long I can keep doing that......
    😉

Good plan. Tracking keeps me mindful of CI/CO. One piece of candy is neither here nor there. Why not factor it into your logging and enjoy it. That’s what I do.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    27 A movie you watch over and over. White Christmas

Read a few pages when I woke and couldn’t get back to sleep. Was comforted by your presence, thank you all. BUT like someone ?Evelyn?Annie? said when I read on my phone, I can’t remember all the “who”s and “what”s to which I wanted to respond, but Allie’s family’s cabin’s beautiful fireplace did stick in my mind. Oh and Sue’s frozen pipes, praying they didn’t split/burst, Rori’s wild airport drive and Karen in VA’s brother’s Nutcracker and Lanette standing in the cold holding the feeder for her hummingbird.

This morning, our internet is out affecting mfp not just on laptop but cell phone too. Cell phone still works for calls, just not anything internet related, even though Cellular is “on” for mfp and other apps.

When Joe left for his annual exam he couldn’t get out from our lane. Blocked by two big trees, each at least a foot in diameter. Four phone calls later (state police road hazard who referred me to Brookings police who gave me the right number for the county sheriff who called back) the county roadmaster advised that since our lane is private, it is not their responsibility. She suggested we contact a neighbor with a chainsaw. ;) We’re sitting tight ‘til after Joe’s “virtual” phone appointment, hoping one of our younger neighbors will handle it. Woo HOO! Just got a call from our neighbor giving us the all clear. He said he’s been clearing the lane for the last twenty years. When I asked how I could thank him, he grudgingly admitted to accepting Christmas cookies. Gonna seize the chance to evict fudge and toffee with some cookies. Win-win!

Kylia, welcome back! So very very VERY glad to see you posting. Well done on linking your new habits to every day actions. Works for me too (e.g. PT before weigh in or it never happens).
    Karen in VA that art teacher, SHAME. Glad you were an adult. What that would have done to a child SMH. “will be played by Earl” another tea-snorter. Rosemarie ((hugs)) housecleaning always depresses me too, but Joe would be too uncomfortable with stranger in the house. Back in Boise some Merry Maid stole some of his classic comics. No more house help for Barbara, except Maizey the Roomba who leaves his stuff alone ;)
    Machka “…SQL clause is coming to town” made me snort my tea. “A figure of speech”? about balancing the checking account to the penny? Yah no, just looking it over for unexpected withdrawals wouldn’t work for me. Something about obsessive compulsive behavior??? And yes I still write checks, for donations and minor bills. While I do use bank’s electronic paying for some things, and even switched mobile and internet bills to autopay from credit cards, I resent the deductions the middle man takes from the donations. Hence the checks. Astounded that checks are not accepted where you are. Love, love LOVE the boxing day meme.
    Barbie your walks sound so appealing, ‘specially since I’ve been sick/stuck inside for four days.
    Allie Myles weking up happy smile-priceless!
    Heather :love:; the Christmas celebration pics.
    Flea heckuva welcome home. Way more than “a little sucky.” ((Hugs)) for the Christmas that wasn’t. Hope the rest of of your family’s travels are safe.
    Debbie ((hugs)) for first Christmas not going up to Mom’s. my two cents: wouldn’t be in a hurry to resume those tasks, let DH and son step up to the plate! Reading further I am sad and mad at your DH’s childish and selfish behavior. No time like the present to “change the rules” and set some boundaries/expectations. (hugs) and Couragia!
    Likewise Annie hugs for your Dad’s first missing midnight mass. Hard times.
    Rita that is a willful radio!
    Lanette loved your kitty story and yes, I miss Art Bell too. Then I saw Earl’s “What???” expression. Think my laughter startled Joe. Eeuww for the Farm Friends. And yes I remember Metrecal. Doulbe Eeeuww. What about your local 4H? They’d love a mentor and they have the critters…
    Beth love the image of your DH and the lab snoozing and snoring. Glad you’re keeping safe. Really loved yours to Debbie and look forward to seeing her wearing her tiara.
    Pip well done about the gift and the tactful “thank you.”
    Carol holiday losses are especially sad. ((hugs)) for your SIL and brother.
    Lisa not just the look on Levi’s face but his sister’s boardinghouse reach ;)
    Barbie your Cascatelli pasta with olive oil, peppers, onions and feta sounds so good. Think I have everything but the Cascatelli, will substitute whatever pasta I have in the way back reaches of the pantry.
    Lisa yours “corrosive to all” to Debbie. Mot juste.
    Heather “It’s great to have fun” and it’s great to have fun vicariously following all your adventures. You give us all zest.
    KJ how about a magic pair of ear muffs, that when you don them, they broadcast “Do not disturb, come back later” to your family? Safe travels to Texas!
    Tracey Bravissima for your skillet restraint ;) and blessings for your kindness to your friend. No one’s brother should make them cry ever, but especially not at Christmas. Loved the Christmas pics.
    Debbie what Tracey said about support. Assuming your DH would resist, could you not find a counselor for yourself? Someone to listen and support you? Keeping quiet to not piss him off sounds like what I was doing with Joe for 10 years and it was not good for our marriage or for me.
    Annie good luck with the phone swap. Glad your dad is so intent on his health, sorry he only hears what he wants to, that will make the teaching hard.
    Rebecca thanks for the incatation. Seems to be working on the earache which may have been the source of both the sore throat and the headache. You have powers, my dear. Love the video chat screen shots of you all! Prayers for a good appointment.
    Vicki almost 40 years, wow.
    Sue goats visiting neighbors. :laugh:
    Karen in VA Yours to Debbie. Likewise Joe and I had a real rough patch but luckily our counseling fixed us. Life got way better and just in time as the next year was a rough one. Not sure I’d have survived had the marriage stayed the same. :love: that your athletic grand wants to be your workout partner. Woo HOO!
    Michele no headphones came with PJ’s electric drums? Oh NOOOO!!!!
    Kay I don’t write in a check register but note every transaction in a spreadsheet (of course). I keep a separate spreadsheet of all incoming and out going moneys that don’t involve the bank, like cash and credit card transactions. Welcome to Rebecca’s to-the-penny club. I admire your budget and categories. What’s YNAB?
    Lisa “whether I want to or not” yes, that’s how I do my morning PT exercises.
    Machka, Kay, Karen and all who track expenditures by budget categories, you scare and inspire me. Think I’m afraid to see where the $$ goes. Any hits for broad categories/percentages to incorporate into my “actual” spreadsheet? I tend to be over-detailed then overwhelmed.
    Carla whew for inches. I probably misread it, headaches make me stupid.
    Beth those blizzard photos :astonished:

Rats! After sitting here hours and hours, reading and catching up on my phone (still no internet), got kicked out of the community and get “server cannot be found” when I try to go back in. Time to get up and do something else. Will post this later when internet restored

Woo hoo, internet back. Not a wasted day, feel like had a much needed chin wag with good friends.
    Katla that much sleeping is worrisome. Prayers for you both.
    Lisa, Kylia, Rita starting is the hardest part. Well done.
    Congratulationsn Lisa on achieving your goal weight, even though it was done the very hard way.
    Kim yours to Debbie. Well said. You made me say something I never thought I would. Thank goodness for Covid! As for understanding about Levi, we don’t even leave the dogs at home alone. One of us is always here.

Whew, that’s it, all caught up. Time to make lunch, feed the dogs and move around a little.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

golly i love your posts!
    -Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Belated Christmas wishes all. While on vacation with family for Christmas I took a break from most things internet. Only checked work stuff up until last Thursday am. Had lovely Christmas. Christmas Day we ate dinner on patio. I missed the big storms but came home to remnants. I was fortunate with flights. Flight out was no problem. Coming home yesterday we had a 2 hour or so departure delay. Saw many flights cancelled. Was very glad I had straight through flight. When we got to Columbus, there were rows and rows and rows of luggage in baggage area. Each airline had them organized alphabetically. I heard a woman comment "They are just taking things off the belts and not letting people get them." She didn't seem to realize that the people and the luggage just aren't arriving at the same time. So I have no complaints regarding my travels.

Flea-as others have said, Christmas is a season. And even though it has tremendous meaning to me, I really don't think they have the birthdate correctly. Celebrate with your family whenever you can-make it your special celebration.

Kylia-good to see you back. You have certainly had some interesting events this year.

Was good to see continued healing for many of you.

Beth-Buffalo is indeed having a winter to remember.

Will be giving thoughts to goals for next year. Retirement is definitely there-sometime in second half of year. My son pointed out that I am technically loosing money working. Want to go check out the five places on my list for moving into and gauge date on when selected place will be available. I would prefer to move over to Columbus when I retire (like that weekend) to aid in transition process.

Go to see youngest son and wife for Christmas tomorrow. We are doing gifts then we are going to one of his friends who does tattoos and I am getting my first tattoo. Son had gotten a penguin on his forearm, very simple, and I really liked it. We share a love of penguins. So we are doing that and a lunch.

It is early but I am feeling jet lag-going to go get a cup of tea and then head in to sleep.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

oh i cannot wait to see this! will you post a pic? I'm chicken to get a tattoo.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

December 12 - Christmas Stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Jesus Birth.

December 13 - Wrapping things up, and I don't just mean presents.

December 14 - The Christmas songs I know by heart. I sang them to myself during my surgery to help keep me calm and focusing on something else.

December 15 - Rest. Except for one Christmas, I think I have had a holiday time over every other Christmas. Today I'm on enforced rest.

December 16 - Comfort. Christmas is usually a comfortable time of year for me. In Canada it was about going out in the cold to shop or ski and then coming home and curling up in warm, cozy clothes. Here it's about spending time in the warm sunshine, at the beach, in the garden or right now, looking at the lovely outside from inside.

December 17 - Joy. Christmas has usually been a joyful time for me ... probably mainly to do with being able to take a break.

December 18 - Pretty. It's such a pretty time of year and people seem to go to lengths to make everything pretty.

December 19 - Movies. Last night we watched 2 Christmas movies. I get a kick out of them and can just relax and enjoy them. I've got 3 of the ones on the Bingo card below. :)

December 20 - Home ... or away. Either way, Christmas is a time to be somewhere I feel comfortable.

December 21 - Fun. I usually relax a bit more around Christmas and make a point of doing things for fun!

December 22 - Exercise. Christmas has usually been a time when I get extra exercise! In Canada, I was out skiing and snowshoeing. Here I'm usually out cycling, running and walking.

Unfortunately, I'm not as active this Christmas. But I'm pushing for a bicycle ride this weekend. :)

December 23 - Health. Christmas is usually a time to regroup and regain my health through sleep, exercise, and eating better.

December 24 - Love.

December 25 - Jesus' birth.

December 26 - Silent Night. It's quieter here than usual.

December 27 - These in between days when there's nothing much to do. :)

December 28 - Gardening

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)

12 Something you don’t need anymore. What don't I need anymore? Perhaps some of the time consuming traditions like writing the Christmas letter, doing Christmas cards, heaps of baking ...

And outside of Christmas, I'm making choices that work for me. Picking and choosing what I want to do ... and don't want to do. I'm grateful I can make a few more of those choices.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home - my chair. I bought a wing chair about a year or so ago and it's my spot.

14 Item of clothing - rain jacket. Because it appears that it isn't going to stop raining! Also comfy pjs. :)

15 Taste - I am grateful that I still have a sense of taste. That was one thing my husband lost with his brain injury.

16 Touch - I'm glad for my smooth, comfortable bed where I've been spending a lot of time.

17 Smell - Love the smell of our roses.

18 Sound - Thoroughly enjoying the sound of the Christmas music I play all day long. :)

19 Sight - I'm appreciating sight after spending the last 5 days without glasses!! I can wear my glasses for a little while now but have to take a break after even just a minute or so.

20 Texture - the smooth creamy texture of chocolates, the melt in the mouth texture of shortbread. :)

21 Color - All sorts of Christmas colours!!

22 A song that makes you happy. Jesus Loves Me.

23 Type of weather you love. Sunshine and warmth.

24 Professional who helps you. That would be my surgeon!

25 Something you take for granted. The love of my family. Not that I take them for granted but that I know they will always love me. :heart:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching. Midsommer Murders. We'll start watching it again after the Christmas season. They'll play 150 reruns of it, so it's nice to take a break and watch Christmas movies and then we'll look forward to seeing it later.

27 A movie you watch over and over. A Christmas movie would be Scrooge with Alistair Sim. :)
    But actually, I have a little collection of Christmas movies on DVD and I watch them every year.

A non-Christmas movie would likely be Princess Bride.

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had. Ooo. Many of them! In the past year, the jobs I've had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz