WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Feb 16 The next time someone does something you appreciate, let them know. Joe fixing reading lamp, bringing down and putting things up in cabinets that are out of my reach.
    Strolled with Joe and the dogs to the mailbox again yesterday morning. Two days in a row! Less windy, still chill, more pleasant, Joe was waiting for me to leave for line dance class to take the dogs by himself. Told him it was more important to walk with him than to be on time for dance class. Plenty of time to get to the second/intermediate hour. Think he was gratified that he came first for a change… ;}
    Heather C.S. Lewis referred to “gold meat” in this morning’s reading. Googling brings up gold wrapped meat (insert disgusted rage here) but I don’t think that’s what he means. Could you enlighten me? Here’s the excerpt
    “The value of the myth is that it takes all the things we know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by “the veil of familiarity”. The child enjoys his gold meat (otherwise dull to him) by pretending it is buffalo, just killed with his own bow and arrow. And the child is wise. The real meat comes back to him more savoury for having been dipped in a story; you might say that only then is it the real meat. If you are tired of the real landscape, look at it in a mirror. By putting bread, gold, horse, apple, or the very roads into a myth, we do not retreat from reality: we rediscover it. As long as the story lingers in our mind, the real things are more themselves. “
    :love: your cards, especially the one on the dark blue, and Snuffles! Johnny is a prince to sacrifice his painting time for the difficult cardboard cutting.
    Margaret “glare ice” new term to me, but very descriptive. Hope your arm pain eases soon. Brava for vit D levels, hard to do in the cold and dark north, glad you got an rx.
    Debbie and pip :noway: :cry: :rage::cry: ((hugs))
    Rita that is an impressive a1C improvement. Brava! Don’t think I could sustain the Cleveland diet, period. Love my New Balance waterproof hiking boots, though you may not need the waterproof part where you are ;) Would you consider PT for your elbow and knee? I’m a huge fan. Do my exercises and I can dance and walk downhill. When I don’t is when it all goes to pot.
    Allie fingers X’d the dentist is gentle.
    Katla how long will your Son be in town to visit?
    Karen, what Beth said. Hope the next conversation is in a quieter place, and your son shifts to wanting to hear you.
    Beth hope the aides “get the picture” ;) Fingers X’d the testing is productive and the side effects fade immediately.
    Carol prayers for benign results. Grateful nothing worse found.

Hormone therapy, had to pass as I was an ex-smoker who was on the pill way too long and both bio mom and half sis had 2 kinds of breast cancer each. Hot flashes didn’t bother me much (I’m too cold most of the time ;) ) but that meant Joe and my co-workers had to put up with the “Decade of Anger.” :rage: So grateful that’s long past.

Like Michele, thinking about a Lenten discipline. Considering a fast from computer games, thanks to Vicki’s inspiration. Time to get up off from my butt.
    02/15: Move: 3 sets PT with dumbbells, mailbox stroll with Joe and the dogs, line dance class, active mins:229 steps:8127
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8 =avocado, beets, cucumber, olive oil, pecans, pomelo, romaine, wheat-sourdough. CI<CO=145
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, fruit prep, ordered threader floss, post office, Grocery Outlet. Wt: 136.0
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited February 2023
    Barbara and Rita - Bea is 6, soon to be 7. I don't know if I am biased, but I think she is amazing! She knew exactly what she wanted and gave DH all the orders, dimensions, etc. All the parts! I really thought it was all going to be a disaster. We just had a pile of parts! She knew the nunbers of bits she wanted. She was very exacting. :p I think she got the shape from Minecraft. DH's biggest input was on how to fit the head to the body. Once he said it, she immediately agreed.
    I think she might have inherited some genes from her grandfather, my ex, who was a Design Engineer, teaching at Imperial and the RCA. He could mend, fit, make, see, anything! I am in awe of those kinds of brains!
    I said to her, 'Perhaps it might be good to draw a design first'. She said 'I don't have to draw it, I can see it in my head'.Of course, DH is her willing slave! :p:p<3

Barbara- I also like the blue one, which was a kind of rescued accident! But I will be lunching with my friends and think the cards have to be similar. I'm tempted to fiddle with the daffodil one, but I might make it worse. I know she loves daffodils. :p

Hoping Max is still well tomorrow. I want a bit of free time to prepare for our visitors. DH and he like going to the fish restaurant. They both enjoy a 1 to 1.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I’m looking forward for a visit from our son in the near future. Meanwhile I spend as much time with DH as I can. ❤️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited February 2023
    1077 calories eaten today so far, with more valentine's day chocolate due tonight. I have a bit of a headache from the rain. So we shall see if I stick to my diet or not. I still have horseback riding and dumbbells to do, too.

I can have one piece of chocolate and still have a 300 calorie deficit. The question is whether I can have just one?

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,367 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Good morning ladies!
    Today is shopping day after I have an X-Ray done on hands. I want to hopefully find rice paper sheets and want to create a shrimp, avocado, cucumber rice roll. I like the fact that after you moisten the rice paper it becomes see through, so you can see all the stuff in your roll. Thought it was pretty in the recipe.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Hope you find them. Most stores around here carry them now. If you can get daikon, add that too(pickled carrots and daikon that are shredded are great in them too.)
  • dlfk202000
    Off today so did a little shopping(of course, we always do), picked up banh mi sandwiches on our way home. Haven't had one in a long time. Our favorite place closed down. This other place is ok but almost twice the price for the same size sandwich.

Heading out to start pruning. First to do is my nectarine tree. Need it pruned and sprayed before it buds out. Then the raspberries then the roses. Won't get it all done today but will start. Cold so not sure how long I will stay out.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Lisa- hope your hanging in there.. I think Spring is trying to Spring early because im sneezing my fool head off.. well it will be a Nyquil night...
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

16-The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure you let them know... try to do that every time.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Barbara - I don't know the context of gold meat, but it sounds something like making the ordinary into something extraordinary through story and myth. We can all transform the everyday by seeing it differently. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 59min 30sec, 74elev, 2.97ap, 89ahr, 106mhr, 6.05mi= 598c
    Strava app= 741c
    Walk home to gym- 10.33min, .52mi= 54c
    Strava app= 64c
    Treadmill jog- 21.04min, *slow jog* 5.5sp, last .5mi up to 6.5sp, 138ahr, 170mhr, 10.32min mi, 2mi= 240c
    Walk gym to store then home- 27.45min, 1.60mi= 185c
    Strava app= 196c

First jog in a long time, did a slow jog.

Total cal 1077
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    1077 calories eaten today so far, with more valentine's day chocolate due tonight. I have a bit of a headache from the rain. So we shall see if I stick to my diet or not. I still have horseback riding and dumbbells to do, too.

I can have one piece of chocolate and still have a 300 calorie deficit. The question is whether I can have just one?

Annie in Delaware

It just so happens that was my calorie burn total today.
  • dlfk202000
    got a lot of pruning done- 6 of the 12 roses are done, the nectarine is done and sprayed plus some of the wine barrel planters are weeded. Both yard waste containers are full with another pile to go in(dh pruned one of the ornamental trees, really pruned it, that is ok, not a fan of it anyways). I will finish the roses Saturday and hopefully repot my dwarf lemon tree. The wine barrel it is in is falling apart and dries out too fast during the summer because of it. Neighbor gave me the drum from inside of their old washer. I can put the drum over the lemon tree without disturbing the roots.
    Almost an hour and a half. Could finish but then I would have to move the prunings twice.

Time for a little break then get dinner started

Debbie
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    A friend brought chilled limoncello to the beach in a thermos once. Now it always makes me think of that trip.

Well I had three pieces of chocolate so far, and I still have 100 calories of deficit. Not too bad. But it's not gone yet. And I still have my dumbbells to do.
  • dlfk202000
    Today's lunch was fun to make. Vietnamese rice paper rolls. All you have to do is wet the rice paper, fill and roll. I put slices of avocado, cooked shrimp tossed in Old Bay and Everything bagels seasoning, fridge pickled cucumbers and some salmon cream cheese. I made a soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, and sesame seeds dipping sauce. I didn't take a photo of mine, I just stole one that looks like mine, but without the everything bagel seasoning on the shrimp.
    fyp81xlvoeva.png
    I treated myself with a nice Limoncello liquor. I have heard about limoncello, but have never tried. Its strong stuff!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I had lemoncello for the first time on our last cruise. They made it on the ship. They served it in these cute little glasses that we could buy. It is STRONG.