March 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Hmm I guess I can see what you mean about the wider toe box. But the middle and heel are nice and narrow for me. I've never had shoes that i didn't have to pull the laces super tight to fit my foot, so I've been liking the brooks. And I don't mind a little extra space near my toes, if I can get a good fit everywhere else. Maybe it will keep me from getting blisters from my toes rubbing against the sides!

Some extra room in the toes is a good thing for sure. It helps prevent some of the toe woes people were talking about earlier. The heel on the Brooks is really nice for me too. IDK if i have a narrow heel but I do think mine is a little shorter. One problem I run into is that some shoes come up too far and end up hitting in a weird spot on my achilles. The Brooks sit a little lower and the ghosts have good padding along the heel that makes them super comfy.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »

I really wanted to get a long run in today, but honestly, I probably should have opted out. Thawing out in the car was very unpleasant, but after a nice bath and some tea I’m feeling better. Here’s to better weather! Next time I go out in those conditions, I need at least a waterproof jacket and waterproof gloves.

So today’s torture of a run was 16.27km of running (plus ca. 3k walking), bringing my March total so far to 53.6k/150k

@Laurz9191 a 10 Miler is a long run! You did good! 🙌

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    I've been looking for shoes the last couple of weeks, and is it just me, or have the prices of shoes gone up significantly? I guess it is like everything else these days, but damn! I guess I am going to try to find some older models on clearance.
    exercise.png

This! I looked at some shoes Sunday when I was out shopping with my mom. I remember @martaindale talking about how she liked her New Balance so I thought I would check them out. The first pair I looked at were $189 - which is over my running-is-cheap-exercise budget.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »

The other day I “accidentally” signed up for a 100k road bike race at the end of April, so I guess I will have to start training for that after my HM. I haven’t ridden my road bike since August, so it should be an interesting test to see how I hold up. There are several steep long climbs, which I hope I can get through and I am also a bit worried about being nervous about riding in a peloton. It will definitely be an adventure. I don’t have any road racing experience and in the several triathlons I have completed, there is no drafting allowed. It should be interesting. I will have to figure out refuelling, water, electrolytes, etc., on the bike. It should be an interesting cross training diversion from all the running ;).

Oh dear. I hope this accidentally signing up for stuff isn't contagious on here! :-) I like riding my road bike for cross training but I think the longest I have ridden is 40-something miles. There are only a few country roads that I will ride on. Around here, bicyclists are not respected by motorists and I hear stories of people getting hit to often. Or people throwing objects out of the car at them. I know you will do great because you are already thinking about a training plan!

Sorry about the cold run this morning. Seems like the only way I can get warm after one of those is a good hot shower.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    March 1 – 5.05 miles
    March 4 – 12.01 miles
    March 6 – 5.02 miles
    March 8 – 5.09 miles
    Total – 27.17 miles

A chilly 32F this morning (at least no sleet or snow though @tarun_yadavA) but a beautiful sunrise.
    19z1dahemnhd.jpg
    @ScienceofTeaching – I’ve been walking the past couple of weeks at lunch with a couple of co-workers and it makes such a difference to be able to get out and get some fresh air and sunshine. Unfortunately, next week looks wintery here again but that could always change.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    @Teresa502 oh wow. Beautiful sunrise
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 That is a really really beautiful sunrise.

@tarun_yadavA It looks like my yesterday weather reached you today :). Thanks for the perspective switch yesterday. I was upset that I didn’t get my planned 21k in and so the 16k felt like a failure until I read your words. Then I thought, well 16k definitely is not nothing, even if it wasn’t exactly the plan.

It’s been snowing here all day today, so no regrets that I worked out at the gym today after literally freezing yesterday. Bring on the spring weather! I got 10.2 km in, bringing my March total to 63.8/175km.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,984 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having amazing weather @kgirlhart . Great job on the early morning runs. The moon does look so pretty, but being in daycare, you know what it really means. :lol:

Great pace for those conditions @tarun_yadavA ! The weather is so bizarre everywhere this year. Sounds like those Easter Eggs may get frozen. LOL Stay safe and warm.

Great running and beautiful sunrise @Teresa502 !

• tarun_yadavA
    Options
    @quilteryoyo thank you ☺️
    @Laurz9191 - you're killing it! Seriously. Don't be too hard on yourself! ☺️
    @eleanorhawkins same! Something about Easter eggs and childhood memories! I'm a sucker for Cadburys Mini Eggs