April 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA It sounds like you can gain weight as easily as I can. I didn't think that was possible. :wink: You'll get it back off in no time. Way to get back into your routine, even if it was a struggle.

Nice running @Mari33a ! Sunscreen is important!

Nice to see you @TheMrWobbly ! I hope you are back with us. Not sure how it got to the middle of April of 2023!

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    April 1 – 3.33 miles
    April 3 – 4.04 miles
    April 4 – 5.50 miles
    April 5 – 5.10 miles
    April 10 – 5.32 miles
    April 12 – 5.01 miles
    April 13 – 5.51 miles
    April 16 – 6.01 miles
    Total 39.82/95.00

On Saturday I went hiking on the Appalachian Trail for 14.29 miles. I forgot to charge my watch. It was at 23% when I started so I was impressed it lasted 9.5 miles of hiking in the mountains. It was chilly to begin but our first climb was 1.25 miles up mountain so that was a good warm up. It ended up being a beautiful day. I’ve lost almost 20 pounds since January and it really makes a difference climbing the hills. Less weight to haul up it! The wildflowers were in bloom all along the trail. (Beautiful pictures of the flowers @quilteryoyo. Love the bluebells!).
    48b874m1m5a9.jpg
    Bellwort
    ko50jqn2rnkr.jpg
    Showy Orchid
    zihf190ma96o.jpg
    Squirrel Corn
    wwd5v1yaomys.jpg
    Trout Lilly
    u1zzmjjgvl5n.jpg
    Me!
    Yesterday, I ran 6 miles followed by a 1 mile walk.
    cqv6f41x7s0k.jpg
    Beautiful way to start the morning.
    z5534uio0fne.jpg
    Spring has sprung and things are starting to get green in my part of Virginia.
    @shanaber – I didn’t realize the Boston Marathon was today until I was reading yesterday about the 10-year anniversary of the bombing. That tumbelator would scare me! Did you all notice when people fell, they actually bounced! I would break something for sure.

Welcome back @TheMrWobbly and back home @Tarun_yadavA (I’m sure you will drop those 11 pounds in no time now that you are back in a routine setting.)

@katharmonic - Glad you got your drains out and it sounds like your boyfriend is recovering well from his surgery also.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Teresa502 . Love all of your pictures. I love all of the spring wildflowers. I started to comment the other day on how it looked like you had lost a lot of weight. You look great! Beautiful day for running too - love the sunrise photo and all the green. It makes me feel so hopeful.

Great running @Laurz9191 . I hope you can get in a good test ride before your race on Sunday and that it doesn't rain.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Laurz9191 thank you and good luck to you for Sunday, too! If there was any way I could steal the rain and make it happen here, I would! No idea whether going nature girl will be possible, this isn't a trail out in the middle of nowhere, it starts and ends in Jerez city and visits the vineyards and sherry bodegas so even though I'll probably be the last runner I expect there to be plenty of people about.
    Welcome back @tarun_yadavA I was starting to worry about you.
    And welcome back to @TheMrWobbly too!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    I am coming to vacation to SoCal in July - will only need gloves, hat, scarves, etc. for visiting the supermarket ;). I always freeze in California when I go inside :).

Also bring your bathing suit and sunscreen, just in case. And this year, in July, you can still go downhill skiing...so there is that too.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options
    the question @Scott6255 is are any of them significant? I did an experiment yesterday as Apple has had those metrics for a few months. I ran the same 5k in the morning and then again at lunch. My effort for each was basically sprinting altho it doesn't look like it. Why was my lunch tie 5k so much faster when I might even have been less fresh?

2yi7dvu8cdlb.png

Dang if I has known I was that close to 500 for the year I might have tacked some on this morning. LOL

tbdet9au2xiq.png
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Great running @Scott6255 . I'm glad you made it home in time. It's funny that you sped up. When I have to go, I slow to a walk so I don't jiggle it out. :lol: Enjoy the new running metrics.

Great running @SummerSkier . At least you have a milestone to look forward to tomorrow. The only thing I can say about your two runs is that your HR was a lot higher at lunch than it was in the morning, so I guess you were working harder, whether you felt like you were or not.

I was supposed to play tennis this morning, but we cancelled it due to it being so chilly and windy today. Instead of running early, I waited until this afternoon. I was happy that it felt so much better than my last couple of runs. Everything seemed to cooperate today. I didn't want to push it, so did take it easy, but ran longer before taking a walk break than I usually do. I did a run/walk of 4.2/3.8/4.3/3.8/4.4/3.8/4.5 mph for 9/1/9/1/10/1/10:43 minutes. That gave me 3 miles in 41:43 minutes. My Avg HR was 137, with a max of 152 bpm. That's a little high, but I wasn't huffing or puffing by any means. If I were running by feel only, it would have been an easy run. I also walked a mile total for warm up and cool down.

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    April 1 – 3.33 miles
    April 3 – 4.04 miles
    April 4 – 5.50 miles
    April 5 – 5.10 miles
    April 10 – 5.32 miles
    April 12 – 5.01 miles
    April 13 – 5.51 miles
    April 16 – 6.01 miles
    April 18 – 5.01 miles
    Total 44.83/95.00

I am not a stats person at all. I just get out there and run. I would probably improve if I did pay more attention to numbers and training effects, but I don’t….
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly Nice to see you! Welcome back!
    @tarun_yadavA Welcome back to you too! Cruises are just an insane amount of food. I have never eaten so much in my life as on a cruise. Even if you feel like you are being reasonable, it’s just way more than you eat in a normal day. Hope you had fun on your vacation!

Lovely wildflower shots @Teresa502 and @quilteryoyo!

@Scott6255 I’ll have to take a closer look at Garmin and see if I have new stuff. I’m not a huge numbers person, but I like trends.
    I know a couple of people that are super into the minutiae when it comes to running data and it’s a bit overwhelming to me. But, I also know I see improvements when I train with purpose, even though you can’t do that all the time. I run mostly by feel throughout the warmer months and train over the fall and winter. The trends definitely help me to see the benefits of my training and let me see if there is something I can work on that might make a big difference.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,179 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    ...I could really tell they were a lower stack-height and drop. Could really feel the ground. But after about a mile I got used to it and it felt pretty normal. I think I'll like them.

Shoes nowadays are publishing drop and stack-height data, and I'm sure it means something, but I've not yet tried to figure it out. My current shoe is my third of this model, and New Balance upgraded it a little, and it doesn't work well for me now. Even though these shoes are pretty new, I'm shopping for something else.

Between natural running, and super HOKA pillow shoes, what's the goldilocks number that people typically use? What's the differences?