WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

OKAY, well that was ONE of the things! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA! (Now it's late! Sorry!)

Rebecca, I'm so glad you finally wrote that letter. I hope it brings you some peace.

Katla, you sound so much happier these days. I think just having some of your things back with you has brought you some joy again. I love your reference to a ST transporter. I'd love one too. There are so many places I'd love to just visit quickly and come home in an instant.

OMGosh Tracey, you just had me rolling over in laughter! To not be a dog fan and have a stubborn one at that! We ADORE dogs and had two beagles. Now THOSE are two-year-olds for basically their entire lives. Anyone who can train a beagle is considered a dog whisperer. We loved our beagles and the only reason we went for the Chug this time was because we didn't want to deal with the two-year-old or the HAIR!!! We're just to old to go through that again.

Can't wait to see what Bea dreams up today, Heather! Love the board game. She's so creative!

Beautiful painting, Terri!

4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water... I'll try, but Freddy is taking me out to lunch!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Finally up to date with reading posts.

I thought you Oregon ladies might like to see my latest painting of an Oregon river
    kj7e5kz8zm70.jpeg

☘️ Terri

This is lovely! You have a talent for sure.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

Barbara we are trying to train my dad to take his phone with him. Mixed results so far. But I think he's got some time to go before he gets lost.

Annie in Delaware

Annie, Have you looked into tracking apps like Life360? My sisters' families all use it, as do my parents who are both included in their "groups." I'm also in their groups so they can "keep an eye" on me when we travel to faraway places. They all use it mainly to watch where their kids go, but they also keep an eye on our parents (neither of whom need looking after quite yet, but it's nice to know where they are). It even tracks when and where they are driving and how fast. It might be something to put on your dad's phone. He will just need to keep the phone charged.

Tina in CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate my alone time.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 3/15 (100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 2/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min -2x a day start April 1 6/60
    Arm weights twice a week /10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 3/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 19/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)26/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 12/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    Tureen a regular activity into a playful game today.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

I really appreciate all the feedback on eating times. Now that I'm not cooking for 2 anymore, keeping on an eating schedule has been a challenge. Your ideas and suggestions are very helpful.

I've steadily gained weight since DH passed away and am trying to figure out the best way forward. When he was still alive, it was three meals a day. I had a good breakfast and fixed lunch and dinner for us even though as time went on, he didn't eat very much. But still, I made an effort and eating was a set time. I often got into the snacks after supper but I was losing weight during his final months, likely from worry and stress??

Now, my whole circadian rhythm is a lot different. I once went to bed at 8 or 9 and up at 5 or 6, and now I'm generally asleep by 7:30 and up at 2:30 or three. Rosie went through a stage where she needed to go out at 2 or 2:30 or else would have an accident right after he passed, and so my schedule was changed abruptly.

My eating time is helter skelter and often it's just when I'm hungry, then I get concerned about not getting enough protein or eating too close to bed or something crazy!

I know I'll settle into a routine, and exercise/strength training is more important than what the darn scale says anyhow. I think getting at least 20 gm of protein at my breakfast/lunch/brunch/whatever is important and something I used to do without planning.

I'm glad spring is reportedly :p (when? rain for the next ten days around here) around the corner and I can get outside and do more again. :D

Lisa - Happy Belated Birthday! Hope with the med adjustment your system will settle down quickly.

Barbara - so do you have a list of birthdays for us? I can see why you were such a great talent for keeping the fire department straight. :D And I'm curious - you said you worked in international shipping if I remember right. Did you work for a steamship company or freight forwarder or distribution?

Terri - you are very, very talented in so many ways. Thank you for sharing that painting. That scene could also be in Washington state not far from me.

Katla - so happy to hear you are able to get some of your old furniture back in your space. Crossing fingers the hummingbirds come to visit!

Carla - we used to raise beagles. Nicest dogs ever unless they got on a rabbit trail then off they went, for hours at a time! Agree 100% about the hair. And they smelled "doggie."

Mary & Betsy - I too use bone broth instead of regular broth in soups and stews. Good way to pick up some protein and it's not much more expensive than boxed broth. ;)

Yesterday I popped some tomato seeds into dirt in my little germination trays and they are sitting happily on the warming mat. I'd almost forgotten about them what with all the chick action.

Have a wonderful day!

Lanette B)
    Drizzly and chilly SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,017 Member
    Options
    [quote="
    _____

The nutritionist’s advice is good for people without insulin resistance.

I am insulin resistant, and if you are, too, your insulin resistance is highest in the morning like mine is. Your experience with sweets in the morning certainly seems consistent with insulin resistance.

In that case, walking and drinking tea (black) and waiting to break your fast is a better idea than crackers and cheese first thing in the morning.

Maybe you are already at a good weight for your height, Debbie. Could that be possible? Do you feel comfortable sharing more specific information about your height & weight?

Using a food scale can be very enlightening. A tablespoon of olive oil should weigh 13.3 grams, for example.

Also, packages of processed food have to contain at least the weight listed on a box. This means that a single serve package may well contain more food (and more calories) than one would think.

Finally, take tree nuts for example. Equating an ounce of nuts with a number of nuts (23 almonds per ounce) is an estimate. Nuts vary in size, some more than others (Brazil nuts, e.g.)

I had a client whose weight was consistent his entire adult life. He rarely snacked. He broke his fast at 10:30 am and had his second meal at 4:30 pm. He was physically active and chose happiness. He cherished his wife. A true role model.

Karen in Virginia

thank you for all the information!

I am not at my ideal weight for my height. I am 5', small boned and stuck at 143-145.
    I do weigh most of my food but a few I measure with a measuring cup. Because I know there might be some that are a little off, I stick with 1000-1100 calories per day instead of the recommended 1200.
    I do not use any of my exercise calories- Yesterday I ate 1025 and had almost that much left I could use
    I do know I need to eat a more balanced diet and not just focus on the calories alone.
    Thanks again Karen

Debbie

• dlfk202000
    Options
    Betsy- yes I love birdwatching too.will look for some birdwatching excursions ,yes less money I have to put out.

We have never done any of the paid excursions on any of our cruises. We just get off and walk around.
    When we were in port in Seattle after walking around, my cousin came to the dock and we got to visit. In Astoria, a friend from high school met us and we walked and visited.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,531 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Finally up to date with reading posts.

I thought you Oregon ladies might like to see my latest painting of an Oregon river
    kj7e5kz8zm70.jpeg

☘️ Terri

Beeeeauuutiful!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Deb--Looks like you have a great start on your greenhouse.
    terri-- What a beautiful painting. You have a lot of talent.
    Having a hard time staying awake today. Not sure why, but would love a nap. Have a staff meeting at 5 this afternoon so means I will get home late.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Today I was up early because I had a dermatologist appointment. It was a full body look over. I apologized to the older lady doctor for my hairy legs lol! She said she did the same. I have one spot on the middle of my back that they need to freeze. Unfortunately they need to check with my insurance company to see that it will be covered. So I have another appointment to handle that. Things you gotta do when you get older.🙄😜👍🏻
    Today is a pizza.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Allie, he's such a cutie patootie!
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Today I was up early because I had a dermatologist appointment. It was a full body look over. I apologized to the older lady doctor for my hairy legs lol! She said she did the same. I have one spot on the middle of my back that they need to freeze. Unfortunately they need to check with my insurance company to see that it will be covered. So I have another appointment to handle that. Things you gotta do when you get older.🙄😜👍🏻
    Today is a pizza.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I had one of those done after they found the melanoma and have to go back in June and every six months for the next 5 yrs. Mine is a guy who is about 40 yrs old. Would much rather have a woman but needs to be done. Before I went in, I thought "full body scan" was by a machine, not a hands on, checking every inch.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Rita the pickle juice works because of the salt as well as the acid in the brine. The salt helps to replenish electrolytes and the acid in the brine triggers nerves in the back of the throat, which cut off cramping. So, if your electrolytes are out of balance salt is needed in your body. They are still studying this, but it really does work for us. If you have salt restrictions of course you would want to try something else. I also make my own bone broth. And if I add anything to it, like I just did one time I made sure that it was not loaded with salt.

Lanette I make my homemade broth, thinking that it would be less expensive than what they sell at the stores in the powder, form or liquid form but, I had sticker shock the other day when I bought beef bones!! They were five dollars a pound! The only other ingredient I need is apple cider vinegar. it helps to draw the collagen and other nutrients out of the bones. I’m just trying to find other methods of incorporating it in with cooking besides making soups out of it. I really don’t care for the bland taste! So, I have to let it cool, so that I can drink it down fast like I do the apple cider vinegar!! But, the immediate results with my skin and digestive system are unbelievable!! If you have any good recipes that you use your bone broth in, I would be thrilled if you would share!!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Organic chili beans and tortilla with romaine, avocado and a little grated extra sharp cheddar. Try to increase H20.
    Oregon refund showed up in the bank this morning, only six days after filing. Way better than last year’s months then requiring additional supporting paperwork ;) After deducting Joe’s share and transferring 10% each to credit union and savings account, leaves $600+ to put toward this month’s expenses. Will have to transfer more from savings to cover the bills but grateful for what we got.

Karen Tiffany and Jess added to the prayer list.
    Mary thanks for the bone broth tips. Found some leftover turkey bone broth in the freezer will thaw it out and give it a tray… BUT 16 oz sounds like a lot ;) Safe travels.
    Katla I just saw Mr. Stinker yellow/green/red hummingbird chase the little grey female away from the feeder. I smacked the window and he shot away so now she’s sipping in peace Glad having the desk has brought you so much joy and peace.
    Terri your beautiful painting is reminiscent of the Illinois river. We planned to move there until we decided to go an hour further west to the coast.
    Lisa :love: yours to Beth.
    Machka I’m happy if I can lose .5 every two weeks and keep it off :laugh:
    Tracey mfp has been sluggish moving between pages for me all morning. Fooey.
    Rita glad you were so alert and able to keep safe.
    Lanette, yes a little incomplete birthday list that I add to whenever someone mentions their birthday. What insightful questions! How did you know? Steamship! 1974-1980 US Lines (equipment control, a/r, a/p, import then export documentation, then rates where I completed my BS in Transportation and Physical Distribution Management. 1980-1984 Pacific Westbound Conference (rate analyst, regulatory affairs). 1984-2016, Nippon Yusen Kaisha (tariff publisher, assistant pricing and regulatory affairs manager, network administrator, pc and network support supervisor) a century plus old steamship company that adopted intermodalism to survive. They’ve since merged with two other Japanese flag lines to form ONE. Was grateful to have retired before the merger and its related system changes. ;}
    Allie I’m envying Mile’s sunny grassy play area. Send it over here, puhleeze!
    Rebecca my dermatologist once wrote an article which included saying not to worry about shaving your legs before the skin scans. Not what the derm is looking at/for nor is she your boyfriend :laugh: BTW I understand your doctor is trying to protect you from unexpected outlays bit I resent the fact that treatment is dependent on what insurance will pay. Grr!

Are acid reflux and heartburn the same or related? Lately I’ve been having awful pain tightness in chest/heartburn in the morning before I even have tea. Two or three TUMS and I’m ok but it takes awhile. Have started to log it in my calendar to see if it happens only on the mornings after I take the pravastatin, but nope, happened this morning too. The first time it happened (over 7 years ago) went to the doc who, knowing that in some women heart attacks present as heart burn, sent me to the ER for some kind of blood test to determine if I'd had a heart attack. No, thank goodness so I guess its just heartburn. Whew! Know some of my supplements (alpha lipoic acid) have to be taken about a half hour after eating or I feel :sick:. Weary of all these helpful pills, going to scale back to just the psyllium husk capsules, the turmeric gummy and a multivitamin for a few days.
    04/03: Move: 2 sets PT, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. steps:5924
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 8+6+4= almonds, apple, beans-garbanzo, beans-green, beets, cucumber, Kashi, lettuce-spring mix, maple syrup, onion soup, peanut sauce, radish, rice-brown, romaine, soy breakfast patty, tangerine, tea, wheat-sourdough/tortilla CI =1048
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, finish matzoh flour cookies. Wt:135.8
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.