WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,040 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It’s Coronation Day in UK. King Charles III will be crowned in Westminster Abbey between 11am and 1pm.

I remember the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11 on 2 June 1953. I was 7 years old.

We were squeezed into the parlour of the only neighbour in my Nana’s street who had a huge cabinet TV with a tiny screen. As one of the younger girls, I was right in front of the screen.

It was much more impressive when I saw it in colour at the Saturday matinee at our local cinema a week or so later.

The coverage has already started on TV. I am watching the style of the guests arriving at the Abbey.

☘️ Terri

Yes ... it's just about the only thing on here so we've watched a bit. :)

It looks like the King's Procession begins at 7:30 pm here.

M in Oz

I quite enjoyed the ceremony ... we watched the whole thing and there were no commercial breaks.

They're doing the post ceremony part now.

Watching history!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    myvt9v4crh wrote: »
    I am watching the Royal Celebration in Great Britain. Prince Charles will be King Charles today. The parade includes a horse drawn carriage & appears to be covered in gold. Wow! It is 7:20 am here in Illinois. ⭐️

Katla

Covered in gold leaf and apparently quite heavy. It was, I believe, built in the 1800s.

I love the history.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    But according to this article, stress can raise a persons cholesterol level and other articles indicate that stress can raise a person's blood pressure too. I didn't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol before my husband's accident. But I've had it ever since.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313207
    Machka in Oz

I have been thinking more about ways to reduce stress ......

How does stress affect cholesterol levels?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313207
    Preventing stress-related high cholesterol
    Managing stress levels is an individual matter, as people react in a variety of ways to different stressors, and their past experience also affects how they respond.

Ways to manage stress might include:
    • following a healthful diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, and whole foods
    • getting regular exercise
    • doing activities that focus on relaxation and meditation, such as yoga
    • achieving a healthy work-life balance
    • asking others to help with chores
    • spending social time with friends and family
    • making time for things you enjoy, such as a walk in the countryside
    • developing good sleep habits, including not taking electronic devices to the bedroom or sleeping area
    • engaging in positive self-talk

More about how stress impacts cholesterol and ways to reduce stress ...

How Stress Impacts Cholesterol — and 10 Ways to Reduce it Naturally
    https://goforward.com/blog/physical-health/how-stress-impacts-cholesterol-and-10-ways-to-reduce-it-naturally

1. Exercise
    2. Meditate
    3. Eat Healthy Food
    4. Just Say No
    5. Try Talk Therapy
    6. Make Time For Yourself
    7. Be Nice To Yourself
    8. Express Gratitude
    9. Stop Procrastinating
    10. Recognize Stinking Thinking

(the article goes into more detail on each point)

Machka in Oz
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Barbie, I just love that you're a lot like me in wearing almost the same thing daily. I too have multiple pairs of black denim jeans that I wear with different LLR tops. That's my only difference. I bought two different styles several years ago, that I loved, and that's what I change daily. I have enough to go through three weeks without repeating. LOL. Cold and drizzly here today too! YUCK!

Kim, what about a Swiffer duster? It doesn't have to be perfect, just have her dust around your table-top items. Maybe a rag and some cleaner for the sink and counter in the bathroom. Like Karen said, I'd love to have your mom for a couple hours to sort through a boatload of my old scrapbooking stuff or all the "crap" in the various rooms in my house. Sorry we're so far away.

6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful... working in a school building, this is something we always have to be mindful of!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies, another rough night sleeping for me..
    Woke up at 5 to watch the Corination but was to tired,fell back asleep and woke up around 7:15 to see them walking out of Westminster Abbey.
    197rmbxnvhba.jpg
    ow08assvt9lv.jpg
    High supposed to be 74 today ,and look who is enjoying the outdoors
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Machka-I also like the style of dresses on the web link you provided. Too bad that store isn't in US!

Didn't watch any of coronation because I was out running around doing shopping, etc. Plus-I am not a big Charles fan. I think I would have more interest if William was in. Of course, I was not consulted!

Lisa-I totally understand the history thing-we just do not have that in this country. I went to Greece many years ago and was in awe standing at the Acropolis and thinking that Socrates and Plato and Aristotle had walked there.

Good luck to all who are trying different coping skills. All I know is different things work for me at different times. Now I am focusing on meditation. I am also checking out healing crystals. Don't know exactly what I think about it yet, but I figure if it helps me feel better there is no real harm.

Need to get some things done before going to YS and DIL.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello again...

Regarding my own curiosity about folks' sartorial choices, I realized I didn't mention that the tops I buy are, when I can get them, jewel colors. I love saturated color, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find t-shirts in jewel colors. I also tend toward the darker colors like navy, etc., in winter, and bright colors for spring and summer.
    dpz6aq0s17pd.png
    I don't wear yellows or greens though. They make my olive skin look really sickly.

Heather - Love your home gallery, and as always, marvel at what you're accomplishing along with Johnnie and the grands. I would have loved to have a grandmother like you!

Corey's off to do the oil change and grocery shopping... and I'm hoping to get the pain in enough control that I can get in the shower and get scrubbed before he comes back. It's beginning to work, but will be a bit yet.

Am hearing biking groups go by on the main highway that's not too far from the house. We seldom hear that traffic, but the Harley-Davidson bikes are LOUD. There has to have been a dozen groups go by--the main highway is a route to a national park, and it's supposed to get up to nearly 90 this afternoon. The first truly warm day of the spring is bringing everybody out of the woodwork, apparently.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    The Caesar salad was amazing. Now onto the carbonara! :D
    We saw highlights of the coronation on the news. Quite enough of that!

Watching a recording of Midsomer Murders tonight, followed by Magpie Murders (new) so lots of dead bodies!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words! I don’t know what I’d do without you!

2023 Mindful May

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate mobile RV repairmen.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15 100%,100%,80%,73%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 4/31 (84%,86%,94%,93%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1- 0/31 (93%)
    Arm weights twice a week 0/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%)
    Meditation: daily. 3/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 10818, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%—-9,559,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 47/208/ —(100%,100%,100%,50%should be 86 by June1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)36/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4 (100%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/25 (100%,88%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 18/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 )(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200 (100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Do something kind for someone you really care about. I need to think about this and plot! I gave my son a gift card to Netflix. He needed something to make him smile.
    2. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t. I will try. Did this.
    3. Take a step toward an important goal no matter how small. I have to think about this. I did not buy beer today. Working on not enabling my DH.
    4. Send a friend a photo of a time you enjoyed together. DONE! [\spoiler]
    5. Let someone know how much they mean to you and why. It’s my brother’s 59’th birthday today. Going to call him. We never really call each other.
    6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful. Will do!
    7. Make a list of what matters most to you and why.
    8. Set yourself a kindness mission and help others today.
    9. What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today.
    10. Be grateful for the little things, even in difficult times.
    11. Look around for things that give you a sense of awe and wonder.
    12. Listen to a favorite pieces of music and remember what it means to you.
    13. Find out about the values or traditions of another country.
    14. Get outside and notice the beauty in nature.
    15. Do something to contribute to your local community.
    16. Show your gratitude to people who are helping to make things better.
    17. Find a way to make what you do today meaningful.
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about.
    19. Reflect on what makes you feel valued and purposeful.
    20. Share 3 photos of things you find meaningful or memorable.
    21. Look up at the sky and remember we are a part of something bigger. I
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about.
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of.
    24. Make choices that have a positive impact on others today.
    25. Ask someone else what matters most to them and why.
    26. Remember an event in your life that was really meaningful.
    27. Focus on how your actions make a difference to others.
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight.
    29. Today do something to car for the natural world.
    30. Share a quote you find inspiring to give others a boost.
    31. Find three reasons to be hopeful about the future.
    RVRita in NM
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I enjoyed watching the crowning of King Charles today. Congratulations to King Charles, his family, and the British people.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Took a bit of a nap,and trying to get rid of a bit of a stomach ache.not nauseous. It just hurts..have the windows open and the acreen door open getting fresh air in..but everyone is busy doing there own thing.. so im just here.. will do a load of laundry ,and my pills...
    Now I know how my dad felt..glad I got to spend time with him while I could..