WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

On the subject of internet identities, there was a character in a game I used to play who said she was a sixteen year old girl. It turned out "she" was not one, but TWO retired male Canadian hockey players. The wide world is a fascinating place.

So far today, I have ignored the pie. I told Dad he had three days to eat the rest of it.

I have been reconsidering salt on my daily chicken portion. It would do me good to drop that.

Wishing you all well,
    Annie in Delaware

there are some great salt free alternatives. I just picked up a few. Trying to lower sodium as dh has high blood pressure. Mrs.Dash has some great ones. I just got a low sodium one from McCormicks(Safeway had them on sale really cheap $1.49 with coupon)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    The wild turkey chick has stolen my heart.

he really was a cutie but knew it was best for him to be with a buddy and not in the house with 8 cats. Plus, no place to raise him here.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Margaret - beautiful flowers and gorgeous vase! I don't have any nice vases but one like that, I'd pay money for. ;) I'm not a flower person other than if it's a perennial and all I have to do is look at it and prune it every couple years, that's for me. I currently have honeysuckle and mock orange smelling up the back yard, lol. Peonies and orange poppies used to thrive in some beds, but no longer. Sorry to hear about Drew's continuing health conditions, but you are learning so much about nutrition that also applies to humans and sharing with us. Thank you.

Carol - we have daisies all over the place, they seem to grow wild.

Barbie - love your happiness commandments. And Machka's Strong people list. It helps to have constant reminders about how to gain control over our day and not get bogged down. It might have been Heather or Machka who posted a meme about boundaries that I really needed to pay attention to and has been helpful. And this one about things you don't need to feel guilty about:

2oaq0yh9c4uk.png

Joy - so glad to hear the organic certification when thru without a hitch. Has the smoke cleared up for you folks in eastern Canada and the US? Those of us in the Pacific Northwest could be facing the same by the end of the summer - sure hope not. Last week when we had a few very hot windy days, some gal was going around in a town nearby setting fires. Luckily was caught in the act and stopped. Not sure if she hadn't been taking meds or was in a drugged up mental state.

Got a call from the auction place this morning, they'll be out in a few weeks to pick up the drums and musical instruments I'm selling. And a friend who wants a little starter drum set will come pick up her equipment on Sunday. I will finally be able to get the heated and carpeted shop office set up for an exercise room. Due to the weather and circumstances with DH's illness, my little weight room has moved from the potting shed to various rooms in the house in the past few years. A jumble. It sure helps to have everything in one spot, set and ready to go. Not sure if I want to put a treadmill out there, rowing machine, standing elliptical or what.

So, I'm following those of you who use equipment with keen interest.

Annie - you with your new bike and how you've taken to it. Really look forward to the updates on what exercises you do each day. Barbara too. Michele's daily exercise DVD's. Others of you who share your routines. All good.

Heather - you and your rowing machine, as an example. An elderly neighbor down the street, who is now in her 90's, used her rowing machine a lot. I have spoken to her in a few years but she was one of the healthiest older gals I knew. She had a huge garden, big blueberry patch, and was always out in her yard weeding and moving. She was kind of a "cranky" gal but in a way, my hero. :p Good role model for how to age well.

Welcome new gals - and as Barbie said, if you would sign your posts with a name or nickname and and location - even general area helps us keep track of who's who.

I'm in SW WA State and on good days can see both Mt. Rainer and Mt. St. Helens east of me when I go out for my walks. For a flatland Indiana farm girl, I'm still always awestruck and feel very privileged.

OK ladies, make it a wonderful week! <3

Lanette B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Debbie that's a good thought on the salt alternate. I bet my mom has some stashed in with the spices. And yes the turkey chick was cute!

Vicki sorry you were ill. Hope you get a new hire soon.

Lanette yes I love my simple bike. Was it Tracey that first recommended it? It is a leg only machine, but that works for me because of my dumbbell routine. And I could always pick up dumbbells or wrist weights while on the bike. It is so much smaller than the gym rowing machines. And I can really break a sweat without feeling like I'm dying. The music keeps my speed up. My model is less adjustable than some, but it fits my short legs and long torso.

But of course someday when I grow up I want to try a Peloton. I like to have a trainer encourage me; it's surprisingly effective even on a tape. I hope you find the machine(s) that works for you!

Annie in Delaware

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    June 2023 Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate my DH making me lunch.
    We used to raise turkeys! They are fun. We had one that was a pet. It followed my DH everywhere. Once when he was working on something. ‘Tom Turkey’ came over to watch him and ate all the nuts and bolts! DH was not happy. I thought it was hilarious! All turkeys we eaten in the end…..

Turkey chicks sometimes get mixed up with the regular chicks and if the seller is not up on the animals (a new person) they can get mixed in the buckets and the customer gets a turkey. If I had chickens I would of kept it because they are a lot more expensive than chickens and raised it with the others. But if someone didn’t want the turkey, well that may be how it came to be where it was. It could have been a wild turkey too. Glad you found a place to give it and thanks for taking care of it so well!

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 0/15 (100%,100%,80%,73%,.1%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 12/30 (84%,86%,94%,93%,65%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1- 1/30 (93%,0)
    Arm weights twice a week 1/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%,0)
    Meditation: daily. 8/30(82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%)

Feeling overwhelmed and lethargic this month. Taking a break from the list above until I feel more in control. I am also having a bursitis/arthritis/tendinitis attack this month. Doctor prescribed something for me to try. Which seems to be working for my mood. My colitis has also come back. 2 weeks straight as of 6/4/23

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7840,6796, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 95/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83% should be 103.2 by July 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)46/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 11/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 22/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Decide to look for what’s good every day this month. Started with friendly people.
    2. Say positive things in your conversations with others. I will try, but people annoy me.
    3. Re-frame a worry and try to find a helpful way to think about it. This will be about my son. Not sure how to re-frame it but will find a way today. I must realize he is a full grown man and in charge of his own life.
    4. Take a photo of something that brings you joy and share it.
    5. Think of 3 things you’re grateful for and write them down. 1. My family, 2. A roof over my head, 3. Enough food to eat.
    6. Get out into green space and feel the joy that nature brings. every day!
    7. Do something healthy that makes you feel good. 2 walks so far. And therapist today.
    8. Find joy in music: sing, play, dance, listen or share. To be accomplished.
    9. Ask a friend what made them happy recently. Did this on my trip to Lubbock to get my car back finally. Was a great day!
    10. Bring joy to others by doing something kind for them. Will report on this later! Gave a family some Little Debbie cookies.
    11. Eat good food that makes you happy and really savor it. Will do! Yesterday had a salad made from lettuce, onion, peppers, and tomato from my garden. The dressing was homemade too! Mmmmmm
    12. Write a gratitude letter to thank someone. To be done! Sent my GS a thank you note for being my grandchild!
    13. Take a light-hearted approach. Choose to see the funny side. Already happening after a very stressful day yesterday.
    14. Share a happy memory with someone who means a lot to you. Will do.
    15. Look for something to be thankful for where you least expect it. This will be fun to find things. How about turtle eggs on the beach that have to be moved to not be crushed.
    16. Speak to others in a warm and friendly manner. I will try.
    17. Take time to notice things that you find beautiful. Will do! Watched people enjoying the lake on a beautiful Saturday!
    18. Look for something good in a difficult situation. My son is getting help from a social worker who is including me.
    19. Get outside and find the joy in being active.Too hot today, 105 degrees at 1;45 pm!
    20. Rediscover and enjoy a fun childhood activity.
    21. Send a positive note to a friend who needs encouragement.
    22. Watch something funny and enjoy how it feels to laugh.
    23. Create a playlist of uplifting songs to listen to.
    24. Bring to mind a favorite memory you feel grateful for.
    25. Show your appreciation to people who are helping others
    26. Make time to do something playful just for the fun of it.
    27. Be kind to you. Do something that brings you joy.
    28. Notice how positive emotions are contagious among people.
    29. Share a friendly smile with people you see today.
    30. Make a list of the joys in your life and keep adding to it.

RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    [

A couple stories from my country past, probably completely inappropriate in light of Debbie's rescue, sorry:
    I was probably ten years old, so more than 50 years ago, and my sister and I were playing on the back porch. Mama was out in the chicken yard, where we kept a dozen chickens and half a dozen of the big, white turkeys. She had gone out there to gather eggs, and saw one of those big old chicken snakes in the hen-house. She ran in the house, and on the way in, she told my sis and me to stay on the porch. She went flying inside, grabbed the four-ten shotgun, and ran back out. She was bent over peering into the hen house, trying to get a bead on the snake, when the big tom turkey came up behind her and pecked her on the butt. She swung around and just barely missed that big old bird when the shotgun in her hand went off. She just sighed, put another shell in the shotgun, turned back around and blew the snake's head right off. Tough lady.

Less funny, but still very country--I was home on leave from the Air Force, so probably 20 years old, if that. Mama and I were out in the front yard of her little house when we saw a raccoon come out of the tree line. It was kinda staggery, and weaving back and forth. She said to me, "Go get my pistol, that thing's got rabies." Got back out there, and the coon was still slowly moving toward the house. When I tried to hand her the pistol, she looked at me and said, "Well shoot it, then." I hit that dang thing with that .22 pistol three times (swear), and it never stopped staggering toward us. She gave me a disgusted look, grabbed a shovel leaning against the house, and went and hit the thing in the head with it, just dropped it in its tracks. And then she made me take the raccoon out in the woods and bury the dang thing with the same shovel. Like I said. Tough.

Hope it's a good day for everyone,

Love from Arkansas,
    Lisa

Sounds like my mom. She did shoot a rattle snake once and I am sure she has shot other things.
    I have killed a few rats with a trowel and drowned a few. Dh just yells for me and can't understand how I can do it. Ummm, I don't want rats around and I want them to die instantly. Better than on a glue trap or something like that.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Yesterday went to Jess’. Had dinner at Golden Corral. Didn’t do good on the desserts, tho. Oh well...it’s just one day. Now back to decent food. Need to call Pete today to wish him a happy father’s day. We didn’t get home until 10:30 last night and it was too late to call him.

Walked down to Food Lion to get potatoes on sale for Vince and kiwi that I had a coupon for for me (I love them). Actually, they are lower in price for kiwi than any other store.

Lanette – I find it a problem when someone has to post the whole post just to answer one part. Did I make myself sufficiently muddy? I know that sometimes it just can’t be helped, but I wish we were able to delete the parts of the post that we aren’t responding to.

Barbie – I listen to podcasts, too, on my walk. Guess I’m just the kind of person who gets bored easily and constantly needs change. Breakstone makes a low sodium cottage cheese (I think they even make a no sodium one). You might also check the sodium levels of Great Value brand. I seem to recall their sodium is on the low side.

Debbie – so glad the baby turkey will have a buddy!

Pip – hope Lucy gets better fast

laitt – welcome! Have fun on your vacation. So sorry to hear about your husband

Margeret – good thoughts for Drew B. Lovely flowers

Off to ceramics tonight. I’m supposed to pick up my kissy fish but it’s raining so I may not bring it home until tomorrow so that the box doesn’t get soaked. We’ll see what Mother Nature has in store.

Michele NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Lanette – I find it a problem when someone has to post the whole post just to answer one part. Did I make myself sufficiently muddy? I know that sometimes it just can’t be helped, but I wish we were able to delete the parts of the post that we aren’t responding to.

Michele - on the laptop, and using the mouse, I'm able to highlight and delete everything in a quote that doesn't pertain to what I'm responding to and consequently I can tighten up the post. On my tablet, no. Not sure about a phone's capability in that area.

And speaking of Kiwi, have you ever tried the Sungold ones? Zespri brand at Walmart. Advertised as having 3 times the Vitamin C of an orange, and I like the flavor and texture better. Not quite so tart.

Lanette B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Well Tracy texted me and asked me if I could take care of the animals while they go away for the rest of the week as a family..
    All went well until Carmine got wind of it.. and then all bets were off she got Kyle all mad and now they aren't going.. I could stay over there with her but would have to bring Alfie with me and I don't think they would want that going on.
    And Carmine wouldn't listen to anything I had to say anyway and would do as she pleases.
    Its wonderf how she can spoil a family short vaca.Tracy was given bereavement also.
    Dan is having another day at Disneyland and having a blast and tomorrow I think is California adventure..
    I have an appointment tomorrow to get a mask check for my Cpap and a script for a Travel Cpap..I will have to pay for that out of pocket but that will be worth it so don't have to lug the big one around.
    Today was just a relaxing day..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Lanette I got the vase in Venice when I was there in the late 70's. I gave it to my mom. When the house was prepped for sale I got it. She also bought one when she went years later. I have that one too! Love both of them. Mine is good for tall flowers hers for shorter.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options

Michele - on the laptop, and using the mouse, I'm able to highlight and delete everything in a quote that doesn't pertain to what I'm responding to and consequently I can tighten up the post. On my tablet, no. Not sure about a phone's capability in that

Lanette B)

:) I just deleted a whole paragraph on my phone. It can be done easily