WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,351 Member
    Options
    Just worked today and went in the pool, to lector at the church, then for my walk. This pedometer says that it’s about a mile around the block. No work tomorrow so the plan is to do the Tear it Up DVD, go for a walk (probably to Food Lion to get potato chips on sale for Vince) then WalMart, Vince said something about cutting the grass tomorrow. I do sometime tomorrow want to make a banana bread.

Barbara – “bag of Chispas”. When I first read this (fast), I read “bag of Chips”...lol

Tracey – yes, the city owns the ceramics place.

Went into church and the sun was shining. About 87 degrees. Came out to a torrential downpour. And me without an umbrella!

Katla – so very glad for you that you had a hummingbird. I know how much you love them.

Barbie – I would never have thought that the color of a car would affect its price! All our vehicles are silver. Well, TECHNICALLY mine is gray, but it sure looks silver

Heather – just breathtaking

Happy Canada day!

Thecat – I’m so sorry about your husband. I’m hoping he’s better now

Welcome everyone new! I know I missed some before

Lanette – this group has helped me, too, in so many ways

Made a tofu chocolate pie for the lady at ceramics. Of course, I don’t tell Vince there’s tofu in it...lol

Michele NC
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,050 Member
    Options
    LeeAnne that's an excellent exercise record! That's the way to establish a habit. Way to go!

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,903 Member
    Options
    Chemal71 wrote: »
    Would love to join you. 52 yrs old and just joined a couple of weeks ago. Would love to connect and encourage.
    Malynn from LA area.

You're here and welcome!

This is an open thread in one of MFP's subforums, so all you need to do is keep posting here. :)

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: Joe.

June summary
    Move: Avg steps 950 short of May avg, skipped PT too many times.
    Fuel: Good variety of vegs established habit.
    Live now: Neglected Joe and the dogs a bit.
    June average weight .3 lbs less than May. Sneaking around behind homeostasis?

July intentions: Move: more steps than May. Fuel: less sugar than mfp allows.
    Live: mindfully with people, dogs and when putting things in my mouth. Open heart and mind before mouth.

Welcome @Chemal71 Malynn from LA area!
    Welcome and hugs to @thecat Cathy from Tampa. ((hugs)) Happy day 1 of your healthy journey.
    Welcome @lboyleav Leslie Boyle.
    Annie I am with you about “…we can send a man to the moon…” ;} When I jog in place my arms are crossed under the girls . . . :naughty:
    Margaret what you said about breathing, the importance of a calm state of mind when working with dogs and especially taking care of your health so you can take care of DrewB’s. Bet she’s calmed by your signing too, our voices have such an impact on our pets.
    Karen Wow!
    Katla glad to hear the hummingbirds have found your feeders. Can your DH have a feeder on his window too?
    Lisa belated anniversary wishes. :love: mulberries, look forward to pics.
    Heather stunning fjord pics, thank YOU!
    Lanette :love: your list of how this group has benefitted you. What a wise, compassionate, inspiring group of gals are here.
    Barbie “. . . I just don't tell you my way is right and you should follow it too. “ Exactly!
    LeeAnne congrats on your 7 day streak!
    Rosmarie Brava for venturing out to the concert.
    Lettuce: the “six pack” of red romaine I bought at the master gardeners’ plant sale divided out to more than 20 starts. Some are doing well, others not so much, but I’ve gotten 3 big salads from the trimmings. The green romaine in the stores has been ugly, when it was available at all. Thinking I’ll make coleslaw for awhile ;)
    Machka, Terri, Rebecca you inspire me to try my hand at the word cloud https://wordart.com/create
    07/01: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, dog group, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7914
    Fuel: sugar under mfp=9 CI=1284 CO=580
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, Farmers’ Market, fellowship prep. Wt:132.9
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD (ageing hippie, mother-of-dogs) x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. July: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW

• Machka9
    Options
    Salad greens
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition-pictures/best-salad-greens-for-your-health.aspx

We find spinach, beet greens, swiss chard and mustard greens fairly easy to grow, so we eat quite a lot of those.

As far as lettuce goes, we like Cos lettuce (also known as Romaine). We grow it through the summer and autumn, and buy it when our garden isn't producing.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We had an eventful Canada Day. We missed the daytime activities for the kids because of rain. We also missed most of the evening ones because of rain, but they were able to get their faces painted and have glitter tattoos. They were given slap bracelets, flags and a beach ball each.

We came back to the house for a bit to wait for the fireworks. We went to the parking lot we always go to to watch them, the kids played with their beach balls. Then I have them each a Canadian Flag glow stick. Michaela cracked hers like normal, but when she went to shake it it sprayed all over her face. We took her straight to emergency after rinsing it with the little water we had with us. She said it was burning and hurt. Only one parent was allowed to go in the room with her and she chose Daddy. It was late and poor Jonah was exhausted, I brought him back to my place and put him to bed then went back to wait with Lauryn. She couldn’t drive because she had taken Robaxacet. When I got back to the hospital Michaela came running down the stairs to me. She said she had “cool” drops out in her eye.
    Lauryn said they rinsed it and also did the orange dye so they could make sure there was no more glitter in her eye from the face painting. They also checked for scratches. She’s all good now.

After all of that excitement I am struggling to get to sleep and it is now almost 2am.

m7ac7s2e72ux.jpeg
    c1abar2npzvp.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

I'm glad she's OK!

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Last night we had thunder & lightning that provided quite a show. This morning there are a few raindrops & the humming bird has visited the feeder. Air quality seems a bit better today than yesterday, although skies in the distance are gray & a bit smoky. I wonder whether the Canadian fires are still burning. I hope things are improving there & air quality improves for all of us.

Katla in Illinois
  • Machka9
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Regarding Intervals ...

For years (decades?) before I signed up with Zwift, I would do "commercial intervals" when I was on my bicycle inside training for racing or ultra-distance cycling events.

Commercial intervals are when I would turn on a show with commercials (on TV). During the show, I would ride relatively easy, but when the commercial would come on, I would ride as hard as I could for the length of the commercial. And repeat for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

In Zwift, I ride courses with sprints and I love doing those sprints ... they're kind of like the commercial intervals. :)

When I'm on the treadmill, even if I'm using Zwift, I still do commercial intervals. I'll walk briskly during the show and run during the commercials. As I increase my running, I'll run during a commercial and then keep it going through the show and next commercial. Then I'll go back to brisk walking for the next bit of the show and then run again through commercial, show and commercial. Eventually, I get so that I walk for the first 5 minutes and then run.

Regarding Steps Throughout the Day ...

Much like commercial intervals above, I will often get up when the commercials come on and do something. Clean the bathroom, put away laundry, use the toilet, get my backpack ready for work, etc. etc.

So I'm up and down all evening.

Here's my bicycle on the trainer.
    This bicycle has been used on the road but is now a dedicated trainer bicycle.
    This setup is now downstairs, not in the lounge room anymore, but it gives you an idea of what I ride when I ride inside. :)

uliq55hqw272.png

Machka in Oz